Israeli's develop the first MDC body armor!?! (New Picture!)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Israeli's develop the first MDC body armor!?! (New Picture!)

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

If this pans out, maybe...

for those too lazy to click the link, Isreal has developed a nano material that can withstand the simultanious impact of 4 deisal trains.

New Picture thanks to Glitterboy
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Lord_Coake wrote:Holy hell. The rest of the mideast better watch out.

well, they do say they'll need at least 3 more years of testing and design work before mass-production can really begin.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Lord_Coake wrote:Holy hell. The rest of the mideast better watch out.

well, they do say they'll need at least 3 more years of testing and design work before mass-production can really begin.

and what better way to test it out than with field try outs?
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I can already see the next tank they design.... :shock: :eek: :?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
King Chopper
Explorer

Unread post by King Chopper »

I want to wrap my truck in it! Lets see some one try and park in my truck bed now!!!
If I weren't a snob, I'd be unworthy of being French. -Svartalf
"The death penalty may make the State a murderer, but the penal system makes the State into a gay dungeonmaster."
-attributed to Jesse Jackson

Threads killed to date: 23+ and counting

Rimmerdal
Knight

Re: Israeli's develop the first MDC body armor!?!

Zylo wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:for those too lazy to click the link, Isreal has developed a nano material that can withstand the simultanious impact of 4 deisal trains.

Yeah, the material survived, but what about the guy wearing it?

does it matter? it will make tank armour and AP bullets to a whole new level. they would be more immediate applications.

Think a sniper with a Nano-metal round...I can see that being a huge impact (no pun intended).
taalismn wrote:

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Zylo wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:for those too lazy to click the link, Isreal has developed a nano material that can withstand the simultanious impact of 4 deisal trains.

likely dead. but that's not the point. they're not planning on having soldgiers standing in front of trains.

they're going to make tanks out of it, and hopefylly body armor for those with small arms.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually, Exote armor is closer to being mass produced.

japan and america have both produced Fullerene (both powered and unpowered) fabrics with remarkable anti-ballistic qualities, but the cost is far too high for wide spread use.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Zylo wrote:

does it matter? it will make tank armour and AP bullets to a whole new level. they would be more immediate applications.

Think a sniper with a Nano-metal round...I can see that being a huge impact (no pun intended).

As sniper rounds, maybe. But big anti-tank AP rounds? No. Fullerenes, being made of carbon, aren't dense enough. Although, they might wind up as coatings over denser metal.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

They never say how thick the test armor was. I mean if was just a few centimeters, thats pretty damn impressive. But if it was like 6 inches, that's not so impressive.
:fool:
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, Exote armor is closer to being mass produced.

japan and america have both produced Fullerene (both powered and unpowered) fabrics with remarkable anti-ballistic qualities, but the cost is far too high for wide spread use.

Bean counters didn't think a soldier's life was worth 300 Grand.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

found this here

In recent research lead by Prof. Yan Qiu Zhu of the School of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering at the University of Nottingham, England, a sample of the ApNano material was subjected to severe shocks generated by a steel projectile traveling at velocities of up to 1.5 km/second. The material withstood the shock pressures generated by the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter.

Now this is pretty damn impressive, but as was mentioned how thick was the target piece?

Hey Dead Boy my brain hurts...you should pick up my slack and figure out how much mass you need to generate 250 ton centimeters with a projectile moving at 1500 meters per second. Comeon I know you want to :D
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Jason Richards wrote:

Out of curiousity why do you have Josh telling us to OBEY in you sig bar?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

given that similar nano-tube fabrics developed in american and japanese labs had the ballistic resistance of a modern kevler vest while being only as thick as a human hair, i would imagine the isreali stuff was not much thicker than a T-shirt.

it' basically ultra-thin diamond fabric.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

glitterboy2098 wrote:given that similar nano-tube fabrics developed in american and japanese labs had the ballistic resistance of a modern kevler vest while being only as thick as a human hair is wide, i would imagine the isreali stuff was no thicker than a T-shirt.

I dont think this is a fabric. If it was that means we would still have to place that over some stiff backing anyhow because othewise the fabric wraped bullet would simply penetrate the body anyhow.

Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Thinyser wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:

Out of curiousity why do you have Josh telling us to OBEY in you sig bar?

I just can't explain it!
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Thinyser wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:given that similar nano-tube fabrics developed in american and japanese labs had the ballistic resistance of a modern kevler vest while being only as thick as a human hair is wide, i would imagine the isreali stuff was no thicker than a T-shirt.

I dont think this is a fabric. If it was that means we would still have to place that over some stiff backing anyhow because othewise the fabric wraped bullet would simply penetrate the body anyhow.

like normal bullet resistant vests and the steelplates needed to stop bullets? :)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

:D Cool! I like! :D
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Combine this material with the bear encounter suit :idea: It's impact absorbing design with this super material. Hmm that would be real mdc armour.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Just one step closer to Apocalypse, YAY. 8-)
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Lord_Coake wrote:Now all we need is energy weapons (or ramjet bullets) or we're screwed when the demons show up.

Oh well. Dibs on the first Ley-Line!

All yours (too many monsters), I want a nice quite piece of land (complete with underground bunker complex) away from them, a huge stockpile of armor and weapons plus food, water and medicine where me and a few hundred friends can hang out. :P
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
TzI

Unread post by TzI »

Nxla666 wrote:
Lord_Coake wrote:Now all we need is energy weapons (or ramjet bullets) or we're screwed when the demons show up.

Oh well. Dibs on the first Ley-Line!

All yours (too many monsters), I want a nice quite piece of land (complete with underground bunker complex) away from them, a huge stockpile of armor and weapons plus food, water and medicine where me and a few hundred friends can hang out. :P

So, you want Area 51? :eek:
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Blight wrote:Combine this material with the bear encounter suit :idea: It's impact absorbing design with this super material. Hmm that would be real mdc armour.

If it's the same bear encounter suit that I remember, it was the most impractical piece of protection I've ever seen, way too restrictive to movement. Any soldier can tell you that the best protection in combat is being able to manoeuvre behind cover, duck and run when under fire and most importantly be able to fire at the enemy unimpeded. A soldier cannot operate in a big bulky suit like that, and they would tire far too easily.

This could be the material used in the first powered armour suits though, possibly with a kevlar backing and padded to reduce injury. The only thing that is stopping the anyone from producing them is an efficent and silent energy source.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Lord_Coake wrote:Wuss. Be a man! Meet 'em head on! I'll show those monsters and demons. Give a a machete and a broken beer bottle, I'll turn the ******* into Picadillo!

Whos being a wuss, I am going with survival of the species. :P
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

There is a picture on the companies website that looks like a medieval breastplate. I wonder if this was the test piece.
:fool:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Lord_Coake wrote:I will survive. I'll just be standing atop a pile of demon corpses!

See, thats the problem with you Cyber-Knights, kill a handful of grunts and you think you can take on the world. :lol:
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Thinyser wrote:Hey Dead Boy my brain hurts...you should pick up my slack and figure out how much mass you need to generate 250 ton centimeters with a projectile moving at 1500 meters per second. Comeon I know you want to :D

Must ... Resist ... Urge ... To .... Calculate!

I normally don't deal in tons per cm-squared, and they probably a lot of generous rounding for the article, but I think that would be 5,327.8926 grains or 0.761 pounds or 345.242 grams. But since since the reported numbers can be assumed to be rounded, my guess is they used a third (1/3) of a kg or something like that.

Personally I'm kind of psyched about this new stuff. Given the complaints in the fields of Iraq about the current body armor being inadequate, I have little doubt that the US armed forecs will be making a sizable order from ApNano in the not too distant future.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Dead Boy wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Hey Dead Boy my brain hurts...you should pick up my slack and figure out how much mass you need to generate 250 ton centimeters with a projectile moving at 1500 meters per second. Comeon I know you want to :D

Must ... Resist ... Urge ... To .... Calculate!

I normally don't deal in tons per cm-squared, and they probably a lot of generous rounding for the article, but I think that would be 5,327.8926 grains or 0.761 pounds or 345.242 grams. But since since the reported numbers can be assumed to be rounded, my guess is they used a third (1/3) of a kg or something like that.

Personally I'm kind of psyched about this new stuff. Given the complaints in the fields of Iraq about the current body armor being inadequate, I have little doubt that the US armed forecs will be making a sizable order from ApNano in the not too distant future.

Dont fight it just go with it, this is incredibly useless info we all must have, so get cracking. :-P

Or else we might have to have Qev do it. :shock:
Rimmerdal
Knight

Zylo wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Zylo wrote:

Um, it matters, and is the point, since the title of the thread was about the first MDC body armor. Duh.

It does as Body armor like other technologies eveolves based on wht the enemy has to beat that body armor.
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

like normal bullet resistant vests and the steelplates needed to stop bullets? :)

No the steel plates (which are now more commonly ceramic) are infront of the kevlar. The plate fragments the bullet and the kevlar catches the pieces of bulet and plate. Even this though will feel like getting hit the chest with a ball pene hammer as the kevelar distorts and an indentation of up to 30mm or more can result to the object behind the vest.

SirTenzan
Rifter® Contributer

SWEET!

Unread post by SirTenzan »

Just imagine. Israeli armor. Japanese exoskeletons. American gas powered leg extensions. One portable 20 mm cannon; whaddya got? A bonified, glorified, walking, talking, tank capable of chewing apart a building from the INSIDE! The ultimate accessories in urban warfare. Ye godz do I LOVE power armor! I can't wait to see them showing up in the military surplus stores! (Yeah, like THAT'd ever happen with this government!)
;)

Regards,

Edward A. May

aka
aka

SirTenzan
----------
Citizen of Minnesota, Land of Sky Blue Waters
United States of America
------------------------
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Ok, for all of you who didn't just nearly faint, let me put it this way: if what is written on there is true, and further testing makes that number conclusive, that means that you could take a .50 caliber high velocity round strait in the chest and you would still be standing. :shock:
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

To alot of people a .50 cal is the base of mega-damage. Or smallest weapon that does M.D.. That being said this would be light mega damage armour no dought. :D
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Blight wrote:To alot of people a .50 cal is the base of mega-damage. Or smallest weapon that does M.D.. That being said this would be light mega damage armour no dought. :D

.50 caliber is NOT mega damage.

they officaly only do 7d6 SDC :)

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Blight wrote:To alot of people a .50 cal is the base of mega-damage. Or smallest weapon that does M.D.. That being said this would be light mega damage armour no dought. :D

Not anymore, according to Merc Ops they do 2D6+3 MD for a 10 round burst.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nxla666 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

those regular .50 or a special one?

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

those regular .50 or a special one?

Regular ones as I recall, but they did list two types though, have to double check to be sure which is which (one being the standard single barrel and the other being the GECAL 6 barrel).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

looks like i was wrong.

MDC here we come.

[url=http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/091205_tech.htm]NANO-ARMOR:
PROTECTING THE SOLDIERS OF TOMORROW[/url]

An Israeli company has recently tested one of the most shock-resistant materials known to man. Five times stronger than steel and at least twice as strong as any impact-resistant material currently in use as protective gear, the new nano-based material is on its way to becoming the armor of the future.

A year ago IsraCast reported on the development of the first commercial nano-based lubricant which was developed by the Israeli company ApNano materials. A year later we find ApNano working also on a wholly different application of their technology - shielding and protection. In recent research lead by Prof. Yan Qiu Zhu of the School of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering at the University of Nottingham, England, a sample of the ApNano material was subjected to severe shocks generated by a steel projectile traveling at velocities of up to 1.5 km/second. The material withstood the shock pressures generated by the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter. This is approximately equivalent to dropping four diesel locomotives onto an area the size of one’s fingernail. During the test the material proved to be so strong that after the impact the samples remained essentially identical compared to the original material. Additionally, a recent study by Prof. J. M. Martin from Ecole Centrale de Lyon in France tested the new material under isostatic pressure and found it to be stable up to at least 350 tons/cm2.

In order to understand how it is possible to create this ultra-strong shock absorbing material we first need to understand the nature of the nano material developed by ApNano. In the early 1990's the Nano-materials Synthesis Group in the Weizmann institute headed by Professor Reshef Tenne, ApNano Chief Scientific Advisor, and recent winner of the Materials Research Society medal, together with Dr. Menachem Genut, currently the President and CEO of ApNano Materials, Prof. Gary Hodes and Dr. Lev Margulis, discovered a new class of inorganic nanostructures. The group had found that certain inorganic compounds such as WS2, MoS2, TiS2 and NbS2 that normally occur as large flat platelets can be synthesized into much smaller nano-spheres and nano-tubes which they named inorganic fullerene-like nanostructures or IF for short. Fullerenes are a new form of carbon, other forms being diamond, graphite and coal. They are molecules composed entirely of carbon, taking the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube. Spherical fullerenes are sometimes called buckyballs, while cylindrical fullerenes are called buckytubes or nanotubes. Buckyballs are named after R. Buckminster Fuller, architect of the geodesic dome that he designed for the 1967 Montreal World Exhibition. IF materials are Fullerene-like materials but instead of being composed out of carbon they can be created from various other inorganic elements.

The new IF material produced by the Weizmann Group was made of Tungsten Disulfide (WS2). In contrast to organic Fullerenes, IF is easier and much less expensive to produce, it is chemically stable and is less reactive and consequently less flammable. Organic Fullerenes are also considered to be highly toxic while IF materials have been tested extensively and deemed safe. Tungsten Disulfide is relatively heavy and for that reason ApNano is currently experimenting with other materials such as Titanium Disulfide which is at least four times lighter and is expected to perform even better than Tungsten Disulfide against shock waves. One of the most interesting new IF properties discovered by ApNano is its extremely high degree of shock absorbing ability. Shock absorbing materials are commonly used in impact resistant applications such as ballistic protection personal body armor, bullet proof vests, vehicle armor, shields, helmets, and protective enclosures. The new Tungsten based IF material has up to twice the strength of the best impact resistant materials currently used in protective armor applications such as boron carbide and silicon carbide, and are over 5 times stronger than steel. It is also possible to combine IF with other substances in order to expand their range of capabilities. For instance, mixing IF with highly elastic materials can lead to new compounds which are both flexible and shock-absorbing. These properties position IF materials as one of the best candidates for future protective gear and armor.

Currently ApNano can manufacture only a few kilograms of the new material a day at their lab in Nes Ziona. In an interview by IsraCast, Dr. Menachem Genut, ApNano CEO, explained that the company is moving into semi-industrial manufacturing within the next six months producing between 100-200 kilograms of the material per day, gradually moving to full-scale industrial production by 2007, creating several tons each day. Although it is currently still hard to determine the exact price of the "nano-armor" when in full industrial production, given the cost of the original materials (Tungsten Disulfide, Titanium Disulfide, etc.) and the relatively low production costs, Dr. Genut stated that a kilogram of the new material will cost considerably less than a similar amount of the carbon-based Fullerenes. More field testing will need to be carried out before the nano-armor can be declared commercial but the company is optimistic that with some external financial backing it will be possible to have the first product ready in less then three years.

(bolded for emphasis)

so its a metallalic Nano-tube material........wow.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

bankvault wrote:Ok lets do math

7d6 SDC= Minimum 7 Maximum 42 sdc
2d6+3 MD= Min 5 Max 15 mdc

7*10= 70 7*6=( 42 (sdc)*10= 420 (4.2 MDC))

So at max for a regular .50 cal 10 round burst its 80 sdc short of what Merc Ops said, but whoever said book writers had to agree with eachother :P

- But im real psyched about that new armor material. Just think of an armor tougher then that kevlar junk, covers everywhere, and much lighter :D

The damage listing for Merc Ops comes (at least in part) from the Compendium of Modern Weapons (bit dated though :lol: ), the single barrel .50 does 1D6 MD per 10 round burst the 6 barreled GECAL does the 2D6+3 MD for a 10 round burst.

All info can be found on pg. 121 of Merc Ops.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

There is no picture of the armour, just a picture of some other armor labelled "medieval armor" although it is actually renaissance.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Actually a .50 BMG (not the .50 Action Express) rifle will knock
you down.

Will search a pic for you...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m82.htm

http://www.geocities.com/landofsnipers/ ... ardENG.htm

Adios
KLM

EDIT: Links included
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Kikkoman wrote:In RUE a machine gun (caliber not listed, but isn't .50 average?)
does 1d4 MD in a 50 round burst

You know it's funny that in the RMB 1st print, or was it the mother of MDC RT, that stated that a machinegun that uses rounds that do SDC can't do MDC because all the rounds aren't impacting the same spot at the same time. Now they've changed there rules. So as long as a gun can cause 100 SDC in a single attack it can now cause MDC. Alright I'm breaking out that H&K G11. Lets see someone look up the damage for a the G11's round. It cyclic is 2000round/minute divided by 4 so 500 rounds per turn then the average "first" level attacks of 5 (shouldn't that be high and not average?) for 100 rounds per attack. Granted one would have to modify the weapon so that it didn't limit it's fire rate. But you'd have a less than .50 doing MDC. The caliber shouldn't be the guide. You can have a lower caliber made of stronger material going faster than your average .50 cal bullet. You may also end up with the occasional numbskull that thinks because a Desert Eagle is a .50 cal it can do MDC... the charge is less than a MG's as it is a pistol round not a rifle round.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

As for the armor if they are nano tubes they should be able to weave the stuff allowing the material to be flexible. There was a concept going through DARPA that the carbon tubes would be able to go rigid on impact or if stabbed but otherwise be flexible.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

didn't Mythbusters do a show on the knockdown effects of bullets? (actually about the Cinimatic portrayal of people getting hit and going flying back.)

i think they found most rounds didn't impart enough force to move a human.

though the impact probably would screw up balance and it definately would cause pain, both of which are likely to result in the person falling down.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

macksting wrote:... I state again, we're talking .50 cals, the type that are made to punch through engine blocks. We're talkin' force.

Lots of force. Have you ever seen a high powerd rifle hit a mellon? how bout a .50 bmg hit a human? I have a video of the latter, our boys in afganistan sniping osama's boys with .50 cal.

If you are strong of stomach and want it send me a PM with your email.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:didn't Mythbusters do a show on the knockdown effects of bullets? (actually about the Cinimatic portrayal of people getting hit and going flying back.)

i think they found most rounds didn't impart enough force to move a human.

though the impact probably would screw up balance and it definately would cause pain, both of which are likely to result in the person falling down.
Even the .50 cal only managed to make the pig come down because it seperated the legs making it fall STRAIGHT down. They also did one that showed that high powered rifle rounds including .50 cal disintigrate in 2-3 feet of water.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Haz-matt wrote:The target flying back is mostly a myth. Newtons third law applies, the shooter would get thrown back similarly to the target.

The bullet hits with hella force and speed but it's mass isn't enough to shift the target greatly. So mostly the targets just drop where they are or with the movement they where involved in or from a twitch.

I look at it like when I hit a medium game animal, they hardly ever get knocked down, they may fall down but mostly they just slump over d. e. d. dead.
You kilt them ded? :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

macksting wrote:We figured out it wasn't carbon.

As to the .50 knockdown thing, bear in mind that a .50 machinegun is anti-vehicular, and according to most descriptions specifically designed to be mounted on vehicles. I suspect it actually does have the force to knock somebody down.
Another consideration is that the person firing the pistol or rifle is braced for impact; most people you're pointing a gun toward are trying for speed or that instable maneuverability which makes aircraft so hard to hit. Or both, which makes them doubly susceptible. For that matter, the person firing the weapon knows precisely where the impact is coming from, whereas the reciever might be hit in the head, foot, toe, hand, or square in the center mass.
There's a lot of circumstances, and an antivehicular round being fired at a person would probably pass right through 'em without this armor. (Or at least Class 3 or 4 body armor.)
You telling me you figured out it wasn't carbon? If so I know I already read that part I was just saying that one of the concepts for Future Warrior is that the Carbon Nano Tubes would be able to go rigid on impact.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Jesterzzn wrote:There is a picture on the companies website that looks like a medieval breastplate. I wonder if this was the test piece.

..No, there is no picture of the armor.

..That breast plate Nek linked to is (as the fine print underneath it says) just an illustration photo of a medieval breastplate, meaning something to give you an idea but not the real thing.

..Oh, and somebody up above here mentioned american made gas powered leg extensions. those were developed in Russia.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
grandmaster z0b
Champion

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:There is a picture on the companies website that looks like a medieval breastplate. I wonder if this was the test piece.

..No, there is no picture of the armor.

..That breast plate Nek linked to is (as the fine print underneath it says) just an illustration photo of a medieval breastplate, meaning something to give you an idea but not the real thing.

..Oh, and somebody up above here mentioned american made gas powered leg extensions. those were developed in Russia.

-Mike >8]

THANK YOU! :D
I tried to point this out on both this forum and Sound Off and people are still commenting on the actual photo without looking at the caption.

It's not even medieval armour, it's a renaisance piece.

grandmaster z0b wrote:There is no picture of the armour, just a picture of some other armor labelled "medieval armor" although it is actually renaissance.

viewtopic.php?t=52064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

Return to “Rifts®”