Triax exports

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well as of RUE they are not allowed to sell at all in North America. Prosek signed a closer treaty with the NGR(stated in Aftermath) and apparently a condition of that is Triax can't sell they're stuff in NA anymore (which we find out in RUE).

Now for those of you asking for page number's on this, sorry don't have Aftermath anymore and RUE is currently not handy. But yeah it's in there.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Again, another case of KS 'meta-plotting' out stuff for "the other-guy" so that the CS can avoid take a drubbing.
*shrug*
Oh well...I almost never pay attention to what KS has to say about the meta-plot anyways.
Besides; who's to say that smugglers won't at least try to get some juicy Traix stuff to the Yanks? :D
(Hint; adventure plot device)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

DhAkael wrote:Again, another case of KS 'meta-plotting' out stuff for "the other-guy" so that the CS can avoid take a drubbing.
*shrug*
Oh well...I almost never pay attention to what KS has to say about the meta-plot anyways.
Besides; who's to say that smugglers won't at least try to get some juicy Traix stuff to the Yanks? :D
(Hint; adventure plot device)

Because how dare he have anything happen in the world? And why in the world wouldn't the CS make an agreement like that with a foreign power? The worry about Triax quality weapons had to be rather high, and if they're doing business with Triax/allies it also makes sense they'd try to keep them from selling weapons to their enemies.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

And in exchange for not selling in NA Triax should get a kickback for every piece of new style CS technology built, since they provided the backbone for it. If that was the case then it would pay for Triax to stay out of NA>
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Triax goods no longer available in NA?
Yeah, right...

DhAkael has a point.

Triax stops selling their stuff in NA, the demand for such things goes way up, as do potential prices.
Then comes the "middle man".

Enterprising individuals (smugglers, black market, people looking to start a large profitable business) will start to buy stuff from Triax over in the NGR/Europe area and they ship it to NA to sell at a nice markup on the price, making a healthy profit.
Triax then, indirectly, still makes money off of the demand for Triax goods in the NA market.

If the CS complains, Triax can easily (and truthfully) say that they can't simply stop selling their stuff to everyone in general just because "second hand" Triax goods keep making it NA, and that if stuff they sell does get resold in NA at a "later time", there is little they can do about it.

Triax and the NGR can also admit that they can't simply do a hefty background check on every last customer who wants to buy more than a few pieces of Triax equipment, because it would scare away some customers and cause other customers to look elsewhere or otherwise become deceased or no longer in need of the goods because of not getting needed equipment "when it was needed", like to save a settlement/outpost/base/farm from hostile critters.

In short, they won't simply satisfy every last whim of the CS leadership, especially if it severely endangers their own profits, economics and potential aid they can give the NGR against supernatural threats such as the Gargoyles.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Just as a side note, the X-500 Forager debuted in Sourcebook-1
as aviable in North America. Before the embargo, that is.
(Which is a goldmine for the Iron Horse...)

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Dustin Fireblade had a pretty good official answer, but just like everything else in rifts, its your game. Do what you want.
If you want goodies from Europe or Asia available in North America then make it so.
Before you start selling, come up with the prices you want to use. For example, everything from South America costs double. Everything from NGR costs 1.1 times as much.
Whatever works and seems reasonable to you.
RockJock
Knight

If it is going to be black market imports then just about anything is possible.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

THat depends on what they can bring over on their own. Not a bad campaine idea hiring the PC's as part of a BM expidition to go buy goods for resale over here.

The stuff sold before the embargo will be pretty valuable even second hand now.
RockJock
Knight

Just about any common piece of military technology will occasionally show up on the black market. I wouldn't allow a tank, but an occasional Jaeger, the police PA(the quick donning one), and most small arms and EBA should be available.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

R Ditto wrote:Triax goods no longer available in NA?
Yeah, right...

DhAkael has a point.

Triax stops selling their stuff in NA, the demand for such things goes way up, as do potential prices.
Then comes the "middle man".

Enterprising individuals (smugglers, black market, people looking to start a large profitable business) will start to buy stuff from Triax over in the NGR/Europe area and they ship it to NA to sell at a nice markup on the price, making a healthy profit.
Triax then, indirectly, still makes money off of the demand for Triax goods in the NA market.

If the CS complains, Triax can easily (and truthfully) say that they can't simply stop selling their stuff to everyone in general just because "second hand" Triax goods keep making it NA, and that if stuff they sell does get resold in NA at a "later time", there is little they can do about it.

Triax and the NGR can also admit that they can't simply do a hefty background check on every last customer who wants to buy more than a few pieces of Triax equipment, because it would scare away some customers and cause other customers to look elsewhere or otherwise become deceased or no longer in need of the goods because of not getting needed equipment "when it was needed", like to save a settlement/outpost/base/farm from hostile critters.

In short, they won't simply satisfy every last whim of the CS leadership, especially if it severely endangers their own profits, economics and potential aid they can give the NGR against supernatural threats such as the Gargoyles.

I agree completly. To quote the Demon "Every time they make a new law, they make a new business."
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Toc Rat wrote:I agree completly. To quote the Demon "Every time they make a new law, they make a new business."

And to paraphrase an old Jhereg proverb, "No matter how petty the customs official, a vibro-knife between the shoulder blades will severely cramp his style."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Orko wrote:Changing the question once again.

If you were the Black market, what would yout try to import.
Where would you see the biggest profit. ?

Well, hard to say.
The best thing to do first would be to do research and ask around.
Find out where things might be happening or could be happening soon.
Like a town with bandit troubles and money to spare to get equipment to defend themselves, a small kingdom preparing for war, or even merc company looking for new hardware or a good deal of "replacement" gear.

Once you know what places need things, and what things they need and how much of it they want/need or otherwise can afford, then you plan out your final plans of what to import.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

I would vote for already marketed stuff - like the Predator,
Terrain Hopper, Forager and, and especially the
Ulti-Max. The Dyna bots are a nice addition too.

Maybe the Landcrab and the Bug will sell.

And probably the last one will be the hover pods, with
force field.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Even with the Iron horse?
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

The Iron Horse is a TW train, riding on ley lines, and able
to teleport from nexus to nexus.

Hauls thousands of tons.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

KLM wrote:The Iron Horse is a TW train, riding on ley lines, and able
to teleport from nexus to nexus.

Hauls thousands of tons.

Adios
KLM

the Ironhorse can haul up to 24,000 tons to be exact.
can teleport up to 300 miles (from a nexus to another leyline...thus would be stuck if the leyline that it teleported to did not have a nexus) with a less than 1% chance that it will be intercepted by the splugorth or other alien intelligences. It also flys above the LL up to 1000 feet in the air and can manuver anywhere inside the width of the LL (most are 1/2 mile to 2 miles wide)
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

As for the Iron Horse:
It is just the matter of mapping the nexuses. Or taking a risk
and opening a long range single rift.

NGR selling or not selling:
I guess some types they do sell to civilians.
Namely those types that were in SB1.
But I agree, not in the thousands. In dozens, probably.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Orko wrote:
KLM wrote:As for the Iron Horse:
It is just the matter of mapping the nexuses. Or taking a risk
and opening a long range single rift.

NGR selling or not selling:
I guess some types they do sell to civilians.
Namely those types that were in SB1.
But I agree, not in the thousands. In dozens, probably.

Adios
KLM

Apart from the Iron Horse, it would be great if someone would give more
details on how travel around the world works.
Transport organizations form America to Europe. How dangerous
it is, how much is shipped on a regular basis. The best way to travel:
by ship or by plane. And so on.

For D&D Eberron there is even a book for that. It details the major
travel routes, locations along those travel routes (with maps,NPC´s
and nice world infomation) and so on. I think Rifts could also
use something like that.

By the way:
If the New Navy is secret how did the NGR transport equipment to
NA ? With unarmed ships ?

with their super sonic transport craft.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

transport ships.

guarded by the CS navy. (hey, what else do they have to do?)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”