Max Load for a Death's Head Transport?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greeter
Wanderer

Max Load for a Death's Head Transport?

Unread post by Greeter »

Greetings All,

My Rifts group captured a DHT (Death's Head Transport) some time ago and has been using it for their main transportation. This has worked well with just about everything fitting inside it. Recently their group has grown and I am having a difficult time figuring out just how much weight this thing can carry.

It is listed as having a weight of "1250 tons fully loaded" but I don't see its empty weight listed anywhere. We know what its standard troop capacity is, but can it go over that? What do you think it has for a maximum load?
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say the maximum load is whatever the GM feels appropriate.

That beign said,s omeone did a schematic and psoted it here a while back showign a cnceptual internal layour based on what it was listed as carrying - might be useful to you.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Jefffar wrote:I'd say the maximum load is whatever the GM feels appropriate.

That beign said,s omeone did a schematic and psoted it here a while back showign a cnceptual internal layour based on what it was listed as carrying - might be useful to you.

That would be neat.

I try my best to be fair, but I know next to nothing about shipping and troop transport. I figured this would be the place to ask. I know I probably will not have a definite answer (unless it was printed in some remote place I haven't seen) but I figured I could at least be given some insight, if not answers. :)
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

It can carry 100 tons easy. I added up it's load capacity to do my death head bomber.
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

What weight would be "hard"? :)
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Yep, got it from adding the listed load-outs weight. It could probably carry more. At reduced performance.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Say -10% to piloting rolls for every ton over.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Considerig the engine power required to make the DHT fly, let alone fly so well, I doubt weight is the limiting factor here. Internal volume would be the biggie.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

CS Death's Head Transport capacity, by load.

Load Configuartion One
Mk V ACPs (2): 18 tons each (36 ton sub-total)
Soldiers with full combat loads, may be in SAMAS Power Armor (136): up to 340 lb suit + 170 lb pilot + 32 lb rail gun (assuming it taps into PA's power) = 542 lbs each (73,712 lb/33.5 ton ST)
UAR-1 Enforcers (2): 18 tons each (36 ton ST)
Spider Skull Walker (1): 28 tons
Total Mass: 133.5 tons

Load Configuration Two
Soldiers with full combat loads, may be in SAMAS Power Armor (384): up to 542 lbs each (208,128 lb/94.6 ton ST)
Spider Skull Walker (1): 28 tons
Total Mass: 122.6 tons

That puts it in the same lifing league as the C-5 Galaxy which can haul 291,000 lbs/132.2 tons of cargo in wartime conditions. Not bad for a Mach 1 flying, VTOL aircrft, hu?

If I were to House Rule it, I could be talked into allowing an extra ton of cargo to be squeezed into the cavernous hold of the DHT at the cost of 10 mph from its top speed and a -1% to the piloting skill rolls, and every ton there after.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Thank You All for the input. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Since we're talking about cargo capacity. Does anyone know what the Russian Condor Transport can lift? That is bigger that the C-5 or the C-17.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

According to http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/an124/ yer lookin at 150 ton payload.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you. I saw the one that flew into Milwaukee a while back from a distance. It was pretty cool! Sorry about the tangent!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

as one of the players in the game in question m a little more concerned with the volume of space on board for transporting all of our recent troop acquisitions as well as equipment and ground vehicles. i think it was explained in the RMB that the spider-skull walker had a specialy designed place to hold it unlike the apc or robots it can carry. or alternatively foot soldiers or PA's we have a fairly mixed bag of stuff we can load out but im not so sure that one DHT can carry it all space-wise indside comfortably.
Aramanthus
Monk

What is the list of materials and personnel? That way maybe we could help you better.

HH....FIE
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

ill have to get that from the group captain. im the epionage expert of the group. im actually not with them tonite as my vehicle is OOC and i wasnt able to get ride to the game tonite so i will be rejoining them next week. (all the overtime i put in at work and it all went to repair my truck :( )
anyway the LGS we play at was a website its gxegames.com we have our own thread for messages as we RP out about 1/2 to a third of our droup meetings there so we can maximize our gaming time there without alot of cross talk. one of the posts by the team captain has a pretty good list showing what we have. (i think its up to date even)
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

demos606 wrote:According to http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/an124/ yer lookin at 150 ton payload.

Don't forget that's just the cargo hold, it still has the seating of an airliner on the second deck.

The Ruslan is also designed to have oversized loads attached on top.

Oh,a nd then there's the AN-225 Mirya which is the 6 engined version.

Return to “Rifts®”