WB29 cover ? (Awesome)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

WB29 cover ? (Awesome)

Unread post by sHaka »

Is THIS official?

I hope so, probably one of the most stunning covers to date IMO.

Apologies if this has been mentionned, a quick search revealed nothing.
Last edited by sHaka on Wed May 24, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It looks real, but I really doubt Palladium would allow the artist to publish the cover art before the book comes out or at least they have the art on their own website.

If it is real I would assume that it will be taken down real quick.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

well lets see if they can top that
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

It's listed on Mark Evan's website as the Madhaven cover... strange it hasn't appeared here first.

It's a gorgeous piece - I can't stop staring at it! :shock:
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Gorgeous!

*grin*

I'm going to try and buy the original.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Subjugator wrote:Gorgeous!

*grin*

I'm going to try and buy the original.

Well, it's digital, right? So there's no "original."
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

sHaka wrote:It's listed on Mark Evan's website as the Madhaven cover... strange it hasn't appeared here first.

It's a gorgeous piece - I can't stop staring at it! :shock:

Reminds me of how KS was talking about how he hasn't picked the Hades cover yet in a recent murmur, yet weeks ago he'd sent something off to Previews to be the cover.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Man I still do not see what everyone likes about Rifter 34....I just found it to be a boring as hell cover m'self.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I don't know. We'll have to wait and see... :P :P :P
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
sHaka
Hero

Unread post by sHaka »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I don't know. We'll have to wait and see... :P :P :P

So is it official? C'mon spill the beans! :D
Marrowlight
Knight

sHaka wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:I don't know. We'll have to wait and see... :P :P :P

So is it official? C'mon spill the beans! :D

Or else we'll spill your beans! Yeah, that's it. :D

The Galactus Kid

man, I just made those beans...geez. I guess I now have to go and get some more beans...sadface.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Jason Richards wrote:Well, it's digital, right? So there's no "original."

There might be an original pencil sketch depending on how Mark Evans works. I bought the original pencils to the Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp cover from Scott.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Jason Richards

newbee2004 wrote:Onething is bothering me. Where the picture is great and all, what has been said about Madhaven is that the theme is horror and more gothic based. But that picture does not seem to portray this.

The cover saids to me " Hey lets check out these ruins and see what we find." not " I got a bad feeling from these place, I better stay away."

I don't know if that makes sense. It just feels wrong for a book based on one of the scariest places on earth.

just my 2 cents

Whatever man. That cover is creepy as hell.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

The Galactus Kid

Well, it does fit with the theme of the book, thats for sure. There is talk of salvage operations to retrieve some of the best loot in all of Rifts Earth, but a what price? It might not be creepy, until the driver of that hover truck become possesed and tries to plow through the crowd. Or a tectonic entity takes control of that Dynamax arm and lets loose that slammer. Creepy is what you make of it.

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

newbee2004 wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Well, it does fit with the theme of the book, thats for sure. There is talk of salvage operations to retrieve some of the best loot in all of Rifts Earth, but a what price? It might not be creepy, until the driver of that hover truck become possesed and tries to plow through the crowd. Or a tectonic entity takes control of that Dynamax arm and lets loose that slammer. Creepy is what you make of it.

True to each their own.

I just wish the picutre would hint that there's more to it then it seems.

like red eyes showing out of the shadows, a light fog with a deamonic face in it... something like that. To show all is not what it seems.

But what do I know I liked the Arzon cover(well the consept more then the drawing) it hinted that there was more there then what it looked like at first if you look good.
You like the Iconography of Arzno (hidden meaning) and dislike the lack of it in this (possible) cover for Madhaven.

I myself can overlook the lack of hidden maning in this madhaven cover because the visual aspects of it are very well done. I cannot however overlook the lackluster visuals in the Arzno cover even though it does have good iconography.
This (potential) madhaven cover gets an A- in my book while the Arzno cover gets a C- (which is slightly below average not "total crap")
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

This cover is visually stunning, a true masterpiece.

Hopefully, the resolution disparity between digital and print (as in whatever printer Palladium uses) is not so great that the physical cover will be less awesome.

I also think that it is perfect for Madhaven. There is a quiet insanity to the piece, a quiet sense of dread that seems to speak: "Look what happened here in the past, now wait to see what happens here now, when darkness falls..."

~ Josh
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Awesome artwork...its so saved in my Wallpaper folder now.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Jason Richards

newbee2004 wrote:
Whatever man. That cover is creepy as hell.

again the cover is good(not arguing that), but creepy I don't thing so.

It reminds me more of an old WWII picture of the clean up of Berlin.

this is creepy.

http://www.billthechief.com/Archives/CC102704/images/horror-face.jpg

http://www.skole.trondheim.kommune.no/rosten/blodsband/dl/Horror.jpg

http://www.evilinside.by.ru/wallpapers/horror_wallpapers/horror_wallpaper_9.jpg

See, that stuff (imo) is just way too overt. Madhaven is about madness slowly creeping in. I think Josh said it best.

If it translates onto paper to look as good as it does on the screen, it will probably be my favorite cover. Palladium should make a killing selling prints of it.

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Also, if you look at the bottom right of the picture, there is what looks to be the severed arm of a Triax Dyna-Max.

Yeah... :eek:

~ Josh
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Also, if you look at the bottom right of the picture, there is what looks to be the severed arm of a Triax Dyna-Max.

~ Josh

Er... bottom left? :P
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Josh Sinsapaugh

Thinyser wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Also, if you look at the bottom right of the picture, there is what looks to be the severed arm of a Triax Dyna-Max.

~ Josh

Er... bottom left? :P

Ummm...I was looking at it in the mirror?

:oops:

:lol:

~ Josh
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

WOW. That's awesome! :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:didn't see it before, but you are right. Ain't Madhaven supposed to be a dead town, literally? If that's the case, then the picture does not conform to the theme. There's still hover trucks..... which tends to signify constructions or removal of debris.

Ever since the original Rifts Main Book, Madhaven has been a draw for treasure hunters.

And isn't most part of it in water?

No.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:okay... still does not answer the part about the hover trucks....

The adventure group had to get there somehow, didn't they?

I've seen more heavily equipped groups than the one (or two, it seems that they could be two seperate groups) represented on the cover.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:If you were an adventurer would you go to a known full-risk area in a vehicle that is half covered? Offering only 3 sided protections and nothing on the top, especially since there are still remnants of buildings around?

Not all adventures are smart.

People seem to forget that.

Infact, the fallacy within their preparation, or rather lack there of, only adds to the quiet insanity of the depiction.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:okay, my bad. Let me correct that.

Would adventurers go out roaming in a open top truck? I don't believe they will buy a hover truck just to haul treasures out of Madhaven, right?

There are plenty of vehicles in Rifts with open tops that adventurers would use, including hovercycles. Whether or not having such a vehicle will be a disadvantage to them in their travels depends on circumstance.

~ Josh
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Open top allows for maximum field of fire in this case, all the better with which to defend that treasure you just risked your life to be able to sit on since you overloaded the hovertruck. Most treasure hunters I've gamed with vastly prefer open top vehicles because theres virtually no limit to the size of what you can carry home - statues dont fit in most trucks very well, neither do bank vaults.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Josh Sinsapaugh

I also just noticed another detail, look at the central right (and yes, this time I do me right :oops: ), there is the remains of some other kind of Mecha, probably a CS Enforcer....missing it's entire lower torso.

Yeeesh. :eek:

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
darkmax wrote:okay, my bad. Let me correct that.

Would adventurers go out roaming in a open top truck? I don't believe they will buy a hover truck just to haul treasures out of Madhaven, right?

There are plenty of vehicles in Rifts with open tops that adventurers would use, including hovercycles. Whether or not having such a vehicle will be a disadvantage to them in their travels depends on circumstance.

~ Josh

Oh! I forgot about those. But hover cycles are far more manuevreable than a truck. But I see your point.

No, but hauling treasure with the hold wide open is not a good thing. For example, a dragon could come along and decide to take the load for itself. You won't even be able to shoot it by the time you get out of the cab of the truck. Secondly, bandits could easily "collect" their fills without anyone ever knowing.

Are any of the vehicles depicted even open top though?

~ Josh
TechnoGothic
Knight

darkmax wrote: There's still hover trucks..... which tends to signify constructions or removal of debris. And isn't most part of it in water?

In my Old Rifts mainbook, Yeah, it say NYC/Manhatten is underwater and in ruins.

I'd have loved it if they had kept the City flooded. Water 1 to two stories high would be great. It would make Treasure Hunting there more of a problem as it should be. Add in things in the water and building...bamm

They changing of of NYC from a flooded city to a dry city is another reason i wont be buying it. Just one of many.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The Galactus Kid

I disagree, argos. So far, no one in the know has said for sure whether or not this is the cover. Heck, even I don't know if this is the cover or not
(and I'm one of the writers), but it sure would be awesome if it was.

Josh Sinsapaugh

TechnoGothic wrote:
darkmax wrote: There's still hover trucks..... which tends to signify constructions or removal of debris. And isn't most part of it in water?

In my Old Rifts mainbook, Yeah, it say NYC/Manhatten is underwater

:roll:

No they didn't.

The original RIfts Main Book lists Manhatten as being a raised peninsula of New York State.

~ Josh
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

TechnoGothic wrote:

In my Old Rifts mainbook, Yeah, it say NYC/Manhatten is underwater and in ruins.

I'd have loved it if they had kept the City flooded. Water 1 to two stories high would be great. It would make Treasure Hunting there more of a problem as it should be. Add in things in the water and building...bamm

They changing of of NYC from a flooded city to a dry city is another reason i wont be buying it. Just one of many.
dont see one thing about it being underwater in ruins, but i dont see the entire island underwater maybe parts of it, personally i see this as a trap,

"wow this isnt nothing like the stories i heard about"

"what was that"

"help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Now I really want to see this book.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Josh Sinsapaugh

newbee2004 wrote:I see all that stuff but to me it just adds to the clean up of a battle look, not "This place will drive you insane".

Clean up? Those things looked like they've been there for years, especially the big robot. An adventure party is passing through, while a few of the residents are about to scatter, or rather they are part of the Adventure Party that is moving through..

One of the main things said about Madhaven is " Madness, ghosts, monsters and mutants " Yet the cover(?) nither shows or hints to this.

To me, again just me, this is a let down to what is going to be(I think) will be a great horror setting.

It definitely hints at it. Remember, Madhaven is not about overt horrors, something that this cover indicates great with several little bits within it. It's perfect.

~ Josh
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It's really good to see the quality of the covers getting better again after the awful covers for Merctown and Arzno.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Marrowlight
Knight

Actually, it made me think of Soldier.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

No they didn't.

The original RIfts Main Book lists Manhatten as being a raised peninsula of New York State.

~ Josh

If the displacement of water by "Atlantis" raised the waters of the entire east coast like the old books says, then its underwater.

Otherwise, Florida should be as it is now. Not half of it underwater.

RUE ignores the NYC area it seems. What a surprise, not... :lol:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Marrowlight
Knight

TechnoGothic wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

No they didn't.

~ Josh

If the displacement of water by "Atlantis" raised the waters of the entire east coast like the old books says, then its underwater.

Well, how about you both pull our your RMB's, list what editions you have, and quote the specific parts from the Erin Tarn text.

Then, as Josh and I love to poke at each other about, then remember that those are quotes illegally taken from a fictional character about Rifts Earth and hold about as much water as a Kleenex in comparison to what KS decides is the real answer when he releases a book on a place. ;)

The Galactus Kid

Water levels raised or not, Kevin wanted a penninsula, he got a penninsula. Its described in detail.

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

It's one of the few books next to Arzno which I want. I do have a request though. Can we stop throwing existing continuity out the window instead of working with it. One does get tired of the "poof" there it is effect.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
The Galactus Kid

Cyberman 2.0 wrote:Can we stop throwing existing continuity out the window

I don't do that, and neither does my co-author, Taylor White.

Marrowlight
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:

Though I slipped him a $20 to do just that in regards to a lot of the damage scaling in The original Triax Book. Man just can't be bought.

tenakafurey
Wanderer

Unread post by tenakafurey »

TechnoGothic wrote:In my Old Rifts mainbook, Yeah, it say NYC/Manhatten is underwater and in ruins.

In my book, it states that Manhattan has risen and is an island no longer....

Madhaven should be on dry land.

EJL
tenakafurey
Wanderer

Unread post by tenakafurey »

Unless the land (or parts of it) in the NY area rose....

EJL
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

yes while areas at sea level would have beem underwater, but some force raised madhaven out of the water and slammed it, time to fire up the mystery machine

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

well the magic level was more raw and powerful during the choas earth times then present rifts times.I not saying this dont take alot of power but the fact is it was done perhaps the authors of madhaven will offer something up about it in the madhaven WB

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

yup, i dont mind waiting the last 3 books have been great, so lets see how madhaven doeswhich i think it should do good

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

The Galactus Kid wrote:

Which is too bad because imo it defeats the purpose of having any continuity at all. Mind you I do not mind seeing it in a few books as long as it does not happen all the time and makes sense. Like I said before I rather not see anymore "poof" there it is in the continuity.

I do have to ask though why is it so hard to work with existing continuity for Palladium? Most other gaming companies do.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Return to “Rifts®”