Pyramid of Osiris

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Pyramid of Osiris

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I was looking through the Old Kingdom book when I noticed
in the Kingdom of Timiro, the Pyramid of Osiris. For something
as significant as this, I find it curious that nothing more elaborate
was mentioned about it. Just a one line reference. Has anyone
GM or been a player in an adventure involving this place? I'm just
trying to think of idea involving it.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Pyramid of Osiris

Unread post by acreRake »

Reagren Wright wrote:I was looking through the Old Kingdom book...
If only.

Anyway: no, i hadn't even noticed it.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

i'll bet money it's one of the shrines that Isis stores one of Orsirs's lost body parts in.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Like Nekira said, it's probably one of the shrines. For ideas relating to how the shrines work, check out the Tower of Light in Haven, Eastern Territories.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Reagren Wright wrote:I was looking through the Old Kingdom book when I noticed
in the Kingdom of Timiro, the Pyramid of Osiris.....<snip>.

When you ssay something like this it would be nice if you gavea page number , and sence there is a 1st ed and 2nd ed of this book which ed you found it in.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yeah I noticed them. Pretty cool. I have to agree with Nekira on the Orsirs link. But no, I never used them for anything.

Carl
ImageImage
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'd agree with drewkitty that a page number of the "one line reference" would be nice. I have noticed it on two maps on the other hand (the main map of the entire kingdom in the front and then again on the map of the Nisi Peninsula; both editions). Actually, looking at Nisi more I do it mentioned in the Stone of Souls description (location 3 of the map, in the Golden Triangle section), that may be the reference that is being referred to. If there is another, please let me know.

Beyond where it is found, I don't see much reference to the actual purpose. The city does seem to have a strong following of Osiris, so it's possible the pyramid is just some type of tribute to the god. However, I'd say the most likely possibility would go to what Nekira Sudacne said (at least if you want to use it in a story that is; and I'll admit the tribute idea just doesn't feel right to me). If you want details on the shrines, I'd suggest seeing the Dragons & Gods book (the section detailing Osiris for some ideas, and then there is the reference of the Tower of Light in the Eastern Territories mentioned by J. Lionheart). Of course, this could also be one of the "false shrines" mentioned there as well (just to throw off robbers). In addition, even if it was once home to one of the body parts, it may have since been robbed (leaving the pyramid but no longer having anything of note inside ... perhaps the reason it is not mentioned in more detail).

As for adventure ideas, I can't say that I've ever used it myself. I did once think about it, but just never really got around to it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I don't include the gods in my stories very often. Anyways, if you want to use it I'd suggest placing on the of body parts of Osiris in it (other than the heart that is). Then you can either have someone else having stolen it and the players might decide to try and get it back because it's the right thing to do or because they think it will get them the favor of the goddess of Countless Names (or something similar). Perhaps and old foe of the group has stolen it and intends to use it against the characters (to have angered a foe skilled and/or powerful enough to steal one of the body parts though more than likely means a higher level game). Perhaps one of the characters (or an ally of some sort) is suffering from a powerful type of poison and they want to use the body part to try and neutralize it (there are two that can do this if I recall correctly). The group may have to get permission by the pyramid's guardians and/or carry out tasks in exchange for its usage. If you really want to be mean, have them carry out a series of grueling tasks for the guardians of the temples to finally get permission (if good alignment, otherwise they might just try to steal it which could be its own story) and then right before they can use the body part it is stolen forcing them to retrieve it as well (just really bad luck), or even worse it was a false temple this entire time meaning they now have to find a new method to do what they were trying. I know, I mentioned having it stolen a few times now, but it seems to be an issue with the body part so it seems fitting. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Since it was mentioned trying to come up with ideas for it, I thought I would throw out some ideas. All right, that's enough from me for now. Farewell and safe journeys.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I could have sworn I remember reading it was a false temple.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

acreRake wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:I was looking through the Old Kingdom book...
If only.

Anyway: no, i hadn't even noticed it.

*SIGH* Ditto on the IF ONLY!!! *grumbles* I do believe, Reagren, you meant Old ONES book.. There is no Old Kingdom book. There were supposed to be 2 of them, due out in 1995. Never showed.

Now... on to the shrine... hrmm... I don't remember that. Gonna have to go back and look. Which edition, what page?
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Unread post by Guest »

Sadly, the only additional information is some small blurbs under the description of the town of Nisi on page 111 of the Second Edition.
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

There's a bit of info in the 1st edition Old Ones description of Nisi too -- p. 98. My guess is it's the same stuff that Kuseru found. A little supporting detail, but not much more than that. If you want a Pyramid of Osiris adventure, you gotta build your own.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall

Unread post by Guest »

Yisterwald wrote:There's a bit of info in the 1st edition Old Ones description of Nisi too -- p. 98. My guess is it's the same stuff that Kuseru found. A little supporting detail, but not much more than that. If you want a Pyramid of Osiris adventure, you gotta build your own.

That's what I did, more or less.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Sorry about the misquote, I meant to say Old One book. Anyway it is on
the 2nd edition map and the town of Nisi does make a vague mention
about it. So I did follow everyone's advice and make my own
adventure about it. But I got over zealous and decided to do more.
Sent a write up to the Rifter so who knows what will happen.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Yea, good luck!
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

Reagren Wright wrote:Sorry about the misquote, I meant to say Old One book. Anyway it is on
the 2nd edition map and the town of Nisi does make a vague mention
about it. So I did follow everyone's advice and make my own
adventure about it. But I got over zealous and decided to do more.
Sent a write up to the Rifter so who knows what will happen.

good luck with the Rifter! sounds like it would be an interesting adventure :ok:
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”