R:UE...did you notice...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Rimmerdal wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:i cannot seem to find the Bonuses for the Cyborgs either.

Old School cyborgs got +1 attack, etc...

The new ones dont.
They dont even get a Perception Bonus dispite all the cool features they can add that would help with perception...

Is this an oversight or what ??

The equipment will provide it, not beieng a borg.

Except none of the Sensory & Optic Systems provide any bonuses to Perception.

There are a few that provide combat bonuses, but none to Perception that I saw.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

TechnoGothic wrote:I found the SDC WEAPONS !!

A Few ppl couldnt not find the SDC Weapon list remember...
Well the SDC Weapons are found under the WP Skills of that Type.

WP Handguns lists the Handguns
WP Rifle lists the Rifles

and so on...

Weird place to place them, but they are there...Enjoy

Yes, I found them there, as well.

It is sort of odd to list equipment in the skills section, I agree.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Ya know what would be a good change for this rule?

If the Psi Stalker recieved a penalty...after all, what the hell is the catalyst and what the hell enables this power? Obviously, it is PPE, so where does it come from?

1 of 3 places...internally or externally, stolen from the creature or from ambient PPE in the environment. If it is stolen, the creature should have an opportunity to save, if it is internal, the Psi-stalker should suffer an 'exhaustion' penalty after combat or during long combats (1 PPE/melee round?)-in this case, it is a mixed blessing, and Psi-stalkers may wish to prevent the tranformation. If it is from ambient energy, then why do Psi-stalker's even need to feed? They should have an abilty to absorb necessary energy at will. Maybe not in great amounts, but there are 24 hours in a day, so even at 1/4 (a totally arbitrary figure) a PPE point an hour, that's 42 PPE a week.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

demos606 wrote:Considering all you need for a 6d6+ punch with SN PS is 26 (dangerously easy to reach I might add), yeah I'd agree the majority of SN creatures should be fatal within 3 hits at average damage if a PsiStalker attempts to stand toe to toe and slug it out.

You need a 26 PS for a 6d6MD punch?

Yeah, right.

I'm going to have to check this, but I thought up to 50 PS was 6d6, after which it became 1d6x10.

Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Subjugator

A thought

If the Psi-Stalker has his hit points turn to MDC when in the presence of a supernatural creature, would they not camp out at Ley Lines and attack the mages that come to use them? I'm seeing nice things that'll keep mages from abusing ley lines.

Also - an evil group of psi-stalkers could enslave mages and use them for food (like the Muluc Blood Pool).

Also - this makes psycho-stalkers into super bad-hineys when they're near a ley line.

Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Kittenstomp wrote:My god. I have never seen such whining. Then again, I don't post on the boards much anymore. They released a new addition of the book guys, that means everything gets a re-boot and for whatever reason that tickles geeks in the stupid center of their brain. A few common mistakes include:

This wasn't in the original book! That means it totally ruins the game!
Try again. You BOUGHT a new book, you probably would have been angry if it was a reprint of the original with grammar corrections. It said in the press release that the OCC's would be updated. Well here we go, here's an update.

It's totally unnecessary!
Go read the psi-stalker section. You need a minimum of 50 PPE a week. That means 2-3 secondary vampires or 1-2 Xiticix. In a world where Psi-Stalkers are totally SDC creatures all the time, even if wooden weapons could be found to fight vampires, it's one, maybe two hits before you're dead. So you have a hyper-aggressive anti-supernatural mutant psychic which is just begging to be killed and turned into a vampire or sludge for the Xiticix larvae. How are wild psi-stalkers drawn in most art? Semi-naked, with blades and tattoos for the most part which makes them sound more like a useful farm animal for vampires than a playable character. As written, from the beginning of the game, Psi-Stalkers, especially wild psi-stalkers have been broken.

Also, anyone remember the burster? There's another OCC that quickly turned out to be pretty useless. Piddly little fire attacks and a somewhat dubious immunity to fire. They updated it to include a light MDC field that circled the body. But fire isn't MDC!!! It's not even corporeal! SO what? Now a burster, without armor, without weapons stood a fighting chance against a tech or magical opponent.

It isn't related to the OCC!
Psi-Stalkers are anti-supernatural psychics. Having your HP count as MDC during combat with the supernatural strikes me as fair. Having MDC on a ley-line or nexus also strikes me as fair. I can see Psi-Stalker fathers and mothers telling their little bald children to run for the ley-lines if they're ever chased.

It was poorly worded!
Come on guys. I know that you're all ecstatic that you have something NEW to complain about, but this is the lamest of the criticisms. I read and understood it fine. I thought to myself, "well, finally Wild Psi-stalkers won't need my house rules to survive", finished the section and took a nap.

But it makes no sense!
This opinion hurts me. It hurts me in a way I cannot even begin to describe. We're talking about a PSYCHIC MUTANT FROM THE FUTURE AND HOW HE BATTLES DEMONS. Demons don't exist. Psychic phenomena does not exist. The future is unknown. That's the beauty of fantasy and sci-fi, it doesn't have to make sense. So you're right it makes no sense. In fact it makes as much sense as nuclear bombs tearing holes in reality therefore letting in the demons of Hades. That doesn't make much sense. If you're still stuck on this point, I suggest you find a new hobby.

Thank you. *claps* :ok:

And as a side note... Supernatural creatures are supernatural MDC and supernaturally strong on Rifts Earth due to their "supernatural or creature of magic origin". So if they leave Rifts, (like a Gargoyle in Palladium Fantasy) they do not have 1d6x10,000 SDC and adult fire dragons do not have 1d6x100,000 SDC. So, I can see the Psi-stalker stealing this energy making their HPs=MDC vs. Supernatural and Magic Creatures.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:i cannot seem to find the Bonuses for the Cyborgs either.

Old School cyborgs got +1 attack, etc...

The new ones dont.
They dont even get a Perception Bonus dispite all the cool features they can add that would help with perception...

Is this an oversight or what ??

The equipment will provide it, not beieng a borg.

Except none of the Sensory & Optic Systems provide any bonuses to Perception.

There are a few that provide combat bonuses, but none to Perception that I saw.

maybe they use a sensor/Visual scan to spot details and allow the Player to reason out the rest?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Subjugator

SheriBear wrote:So, just wading in this conversation...

Psi stalkers now magically become MDC creatures when facing off hand to hand with supernatural creatures. Great right.. But it seems alot of their food sources do use MDC weapons (either manufactured by humans or themselves/allies) these days...

Vampires now use weapons with Rifts Arzno, (an argument can be made they always used them since the color picture in classic Rifts)
Brodkil use weapons ever since they were introduced in SB 1
Gargoyles use weapons since introduced in Triax
Xicitix use TK weapons since they were introduced and in WB 23
Simvan use weapons since their intro in SB 1

So what happens when a brodkil with a rifle hits a psi stalker these days? Does he get the benefit of his MDC aura or is he toast?

I'd give it an ouch. He gets the benefit when near them. If the brodkil is 1,000 feet away, that's a different story.

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

SheriBear wrote:So, just wading in this conversation...

Psi stalkers now magically become MDC creatures when facing off hand to hand with supernatural creatures. Great right.. But it seems alot of their food sources do use MDC weapons (either manufactured by humans or themselves/allies) these days...

Vampires now use weapons with Rifts Arzno, (an argument can be made they always used them since the color picture in classic Rifts)
Brodkil use weapons ever since they were introduced in SB 1
Gargoyles use weapons since introduced in Triax
Xicitix use TK weapons since they were introduced and in WB 23
Simvan use weapons since their intro in SB 1

So what happens when a brodkil with a rifle hits a psi stalker these days? Does he get the benefit of his MDC aura or is he toast?

Is that Rifle supernatural? probably not so you have a dead Psi-Stalker...but that's just me.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Phadeout
Explorer

I'd vote for the dead psi-stalker too.
Phadeout

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

The book states that the transformation occurs "whenever the Psi-stalker locks horns with an MDC supernatural being or creature of magic..." This implies that the transformation would occur regardless of whether the enemy was using tech weapons or not. By being in the presence of the supernatural or magical enemy, the Psi-Stalker becomes an MDC being.

Are there flaws in this rule? Yes...it doesn't state the distance required between the Psi-Stalker and the magical enemy. Is it 300 feet? 1000 feet? Is it simply the act of aggression that triggers it? If there is a range, then the monster could snipe from outside the range.

Also, if the Supernatural Creature is hiding as non-Supernatural Creature, how does the power work. If the creature is using Mask PPE? Metamorphesis: Human? The simple metamorphesis of a dragon?

This seems like a really quick way of determining whether a person is a SN creature or not...a special sixth sense..."that dude is firing his rifle at me and I just turned into an MDC creature...well, he must be a creature of magic..."
RainOfSteel
Champion

Rimmerdal wrote:maybe they use a sensor/Visual scan to spot details and allow the Player to reason out the rest?

That is the key word, maybe; both for what it does and what player can "reason" out.
RainOfSteel
Champion

shadrak wrote:The book states that the transformation occurs "whenever the Psi-stalker locks horns with an MDC supernatural being or creature of magic..."

Or maybe it means only when the psi-stalker actually locks horns . . . assuming either the psi-stalker or the MDC supernatural being has horns.

And it would do nothing against dragons, who are only creatures of magic, IIRC.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

LOL...wow, practically need a lawyer to write these rules, the way we interpret them. But this rule should be clarified.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kittenstomp wrote:It's totally unnecessary!
Go read the psi-stalker section. You need a minimum of 50 PPE a week. That means 2-3 secondary vampires or 1-2 Xiticix. In a world where Psi-Stalkers are totally SDC creatures all the time, even if wooden weapons could be found to fight vampires, it's one, maybe two hits before you're dead. So you have a hyper-aggressive anti-supernatural mutant psychic which is just begging to be killed and turned into a vampire or sludge for the Xiticix larvae. How are wild psi-stalkers drawn in most art? Semi-naked, with blades and tattoos for the most part which makes them sound more like a useful farm animal for vampires than a playable character. As written, from the beginning of the game, Psi-Stalkers, especially wild psi-stalkers have been broken.

In a world where psi-stalkers are totall SDC creatures, all the time, they are no worse off than normal humans. That's why they wear body armor and use mega-damage weapons.

Sure, they're drawn semi-naked. But Mages are drawn without armor. Most people who have armor are drawn without helmets.
If the art represented how the characters were actually supposed to go into battle, everybody would die. All the time.
There was nothing wrong with the original psi-stalker, and the new rule IS unnecessary.
Anybody who thinks that psi-stalkers couldn't survive against supernatural foes (without being MDC themselves) is just plain wrong.
CS Grunts do it every day.

Also, anyone remember the burster? There's another OCC that quickly turned out to be pretty useless. Piddly little fire attacks and a somewhat dubious immunity to fire. They updated it to include a light MDC field that circled the body. But fire isn't MDC!!! It's not even corporeal! SO what? Now a burster, without armor, without weapons stood a fighting chance against a tech or magical opponent.

Not really. 25 MDC isn't much if you get into a mega-damage firefight.
That's why bursters should wear armor, like everybody else.
(But I do agree that they needed an upgrade)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

General_Sarkoff wrote:
Idiotic was my first, second and third reaction. So what the new rules say is if a demon fires an energy bolt at the psi-stalker he is (at least partially) MDC, but if a thug shoots him with a Wilks lazer pistol wile standing next to said demon the psi-stalker is just a squishy SDC creature? Makes no sense to me.

Actually, the way I would play this is that the Psi-stalker is MD for the duration of the time that he was locking "horns with the sn being or creature of magic". So, even the Wils could be absorbed by the pistol. However, if the bandit acted alone, he could easily overpower the Psi-stalker.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Kittenstomp wrote::shock:
I don't know what's weirder: that you're responding to a post I made 10 months ago, or that I've begun to peruse the boards again at the same time you responded.

:-D

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:It's totally unnecessary!

In a world where psi-stalkers are totall SDC creatures, all the time, they are no worse off than normal humans. That's why they wear body armor and use mega-damage weapons.

Sure, they're drawn semi-naked. But Mages are drawn without armor. Most people who have armor are drawn without helmets.
If the art represented how the characters were actually supposed to go into battle, everybody would die. All the time.
There was nothing wrong with the original psi-stalker, and the new rule IS unnecessary.
Anybody who thinks that psi-stalkers couldn't survive against supernatural foes (without being MDC themselves) is just plain wrong.
CS Grunts do it every day.

That's a fairly facetious argument. You're comparing the soldiers of a military industrial complex with access to high tech weaponry, 80+ MDC armor and air support to a group of "Wild" nomadic mutants. Psi Stalkers as described in the old books are wasteland scavengers that somehow eke out an existence feeding off of creatures hundreds of times more powerful. [/quote]

No, they're not. Read the main Rifts book.
First of all, Wild Psi-Stalkers come standard with:
-Megadamage body armor
-back pack
-a couple sacks
-utility/ammo belt
-sunglasses or tinted goggles
-Air filter or gas mask
-Weaponry including 4 knives and four other weapons of choice, possibly including techno-wizardry.

These guys aren't stone-age primatives; they have access to the same armor and weaponry as anybody else in the main book. Essentially the same stuff that "the soldiers of a military industrial complex with access to high tech weaponry" have, only Psi-Stalkers can also use techno-wizardry items if they can find some.

Now lets look at the second part: "feeding off of creatures hundreds of times more powerful".
That just isn't true.
A wild psi-stalker with MDC armor and MD weaponry, which they start with, is more than a match for many MDC creatures. Roll up some random monsters from p. 249-250 and put them up against a psi-stalker with a NG-P7 and Gladiator armor.
At best, the monster is on even footing 1 on 1.

But that's not even necessary. Psi-stalkers can feed on any psychic creature, and all cats, dogs, horses, and other domesticated animals are psychic. You don't even have to kill them to feed on them, although wild psi-stalkers might prefer it.
Or they could prey on any of the lightly armed or unarmed psychic humans or D-Bees around. Again, they wouldn't even have to kill them.

It never made sense. Your average supernatural creature can punch a hole through a psi-stalker without blinking.

Not if the psi-stalker had the intelligence to put on the armor that he starts with.

Wild Stalkers didn't even have reasonable equipment available until after New West whereupon you could kill 300-500 MDC dinosaurs for 10-30 MDC armor. Not the kind of thing you want to be fighting vampires or demons in.

Absurd.
Find me ANYTHING in the books that restricts psi-stalkers' equipment. They have access to the same weaponry and armor as everybody else.

And whereas a wizard can summon MDC armor and soldiers are blessed with tons of gadgets, Wild Stalkers are mutants with no industries, factories or technology to speak of.

Ever hear of trade? They don't have to make tech gear; they just have to buy it. Or, for that matter, steal it.

The only way they could have fed on the supernatural is by making them laugh themselves to death. And that's barely scratching the surface; a CS grunt gets to blow his competition away into ash with his handy rifle from 2000 feet. A Psi-Stalker has to be within a few hundred feet (an easy distance to close in a melee) and he has to successfully kill supernatural monsters 2-3 times a week to feel healthy.

No, he doesn't.
First of all, he can feed on animals, humans, and D-bees.
Let's look at a particularly pathetic psi-stalker who was stupid and unlucky enough to lose his mega-damage armor and weaponry. In fact, he has lost every bit of his gear except for one knife and his horse.
And the poor guy likes a diet of 100 PPE per week!
Whatever will he do?!
He'll feed off of his horse.
An average horse has 14 PPE (his horse happens to be exactly average), and PPE regenerates at a rate of 5 per hour of sleep or rest. Which means that he can cut his horse, drain its PPE, and it will be back to maximum PPE after 3 hours of sleep or rest.
Feeding on the horse every day will net him 98 PPE per week. If he feels particularly hungry some week, he can feed an extra time by waking his horse up in the middle of the night once.

Second, it is perfectly possible to disable a supernatural monster from a distance using an energy rifle. Just make called shots and shoot its legs off. Heck, shoot one leg off and move in to finish the creature off at your leisure.

a Burster has 30 MDC +6 a level, (+4 in psyscape). Even then, it finally made Bursters playable. I had far too many people in my games from 95-97 read through the main book for Rifts, get excited at the possibility of playing a pyrokinetic followed by the crushing disappointment of how poorly protected the class was.

A lot of us had the same problem. We solved it by adjusting our expectations. Basically, we quit treating every OCC like a one-trick pony and expecting them to use ONE trick to solve every problem. For Bursters, this meant that we had them actually use their armor and weaponry for the most part, only using their pyrokinetic powers when it was appropriate.
No real problems since.

At least they could produce MD blasts, something that the poor wild psi-stalker couldn't do without a weapon that would cost 3000+ tanned hides and ornate bonecarvings. The MDC force field didn't make them a playable class without armor, but it gave them enough of an edge to be playable. THat's how I look at the psi-stalker write up but even more vital; a wild psi-stalker was expected to fight and capture wizards, psychics and demons 2-3 times a week and stillbe succesful enough tocongregate in tribes. Totally impossible under the old system. Now they have enough of an edge for my players to not just dismiss them out of hand and play a human mercenary (who has more toys) instead.

Not impossible at all, if you use your head, and if you ditch your erroneous preconceptions of what the class is supposed to do.

And why fight a mage when you can sneak up on one while it is asleep?
And why kill the mage, when you can keep him bound and gagged (or cut his tongue out), and feed off of him for weeks or months?
Play things smart, and the original psi-stalkers worked out perfectly fine.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Bursters aren't mages. Even then...I would just take some megadamage armor and poke a hole in something to meke it non-environmental. Problem solved.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Phadeout
Explorer

Ah... I'm pretty darn sure, it's always stated that a psi-stalker must feed off Psychics, Practitioners of Magic or Supernatural Creatures.

This list does not include Normal Humans/D-bees, Creatures of Magic and Animals.
Phadeout

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Phadeout wrote:

Ah... I'm pretty darn sure, it's always stated that a psi-stalker must feed off Psychics, Practitioners of Magic or Supernatural Creatures.

This list does not include Normal Humans/D-bees, Creatures of Magic and Animals.

Of course not.
But 20% of the human population are psychics, and many D-B races have the same proportion. That leaves one heck of a lot of psychics running around. And that's not even counting D-Bees that have racial psychic powers.

As for animals, you should probably be aware that ALL dogs, horses, and cats, and some other domestic species, have psychic powers.

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Also 'Stalkers can feed off ley lines, it just "tastes" bad.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote::shock:
I don't know what's weirder: that you're responding to a post I made 10 months ago, or that I've begun to peruse the boards again at the same time you responded.

IIRC, KC was only infrequently posting to FotM during some parts of the end of 2005. Some of his comments made last year also lead me to believe that he wasn't monitoring topics all the time, either. That could easily explain what happened.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kn1ves wrote:
General_Sarkoff wrote:Idiotic was my first, second and third reaction. So what the new rules say is if a demon fires an energy bolt at the psi-stalker he is (at least partially) MDC, but if a thug shoots him with a Wilks lazer pistol wile standing next to said demon the psi-stalker is just a squishy SDC creature? Makes no sense to me.

[...] Psi-Stalkers [...] evolved to go toe to toe with supernatural creatures so that they can eat and survive [...]

Except that getting hit by an energy bolt is not going "toe to toe" (and isn't "locking horns", either). A Supernatural MDC being squishies an RMB Psi-Stalker (with no armor) when using ranged weapons/powers as far as I read the RAW.

Kn1ves wrote:It's a mutation, it doesn't have to make complete sense.

Actually, yes it does.* At least, if you don't want to hear howls of laughter and see disgusted looks.

*And please, no comments about it being magic, not real, and not having to make sense. That whole argument is just baseless. If that were true 1st level Ley Line Walker spells could blow up Mechaniod Motherships from one million lightyears away (no chance of missing) for 1 PPE, or a Vagabond with no medical (or other related) skills, powers, or assistants, could install and remove Rifts Earth cybernetics and bionics on any being in the Megaverse including Men of Magic, Gods, Demons, Elementals, Spirits, and otherwise ineligibile or incompatible beings with no penalties of any kind whatsoever to the receipient of the new systems.

------------------------------------

I think it would read a lot better if it said, "Psi-Stalkers mystically transform into MDC beings when within one mile of a Supernatural MDC creature. This transformation is not obvious to observers or the Psi-Stalker, and does not serve as an early warning system. If the Psi-Stalker is in the presence of the same Supernatural MDC creature for extended periods of time (one week or more), and mentally does not react as if it is an enemy (this reaction cannot be faked), that particular Supernatural MDC creature will no longer cause the Psi-Stalker to transform."

Perhaps KC can put some additional clauses on it?
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Rain, I disagree that getting attacked by an energy bolt is not going toe to toe or locking horns with a SN creature. You could be right, but you could be wrong. And this is my point about the clarity of this rule (which you articulated at the end of your post.

That is the problem with using a colloquialism when you write a rule book. You HAVE TO BE CLEAR!!!! So, I totally agree with you,

" I think it would read a lot better if it said, "Psi-Stalkers mystically transform into MDC beings when within one mile of a Supernatural MDC creature. This transformation is not obvious to observers or the Psi-Stalker, and does not serve as an early warning system. If the Psi-Stalker is in the presence of the same Supernatural MDC creature for extended periods of time (one week or more), and mentally does not react as if it is an enemy (this reaction cannot be faked), that particular Supernatural MDC creature will no longer cause the Psi-Stalker to transform."
[/quote]
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Hmm, I seem to contradict myself.

I disagree with your initial statement (on semantic grounds).

I totally agree with your final assertion.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I dislike the rule personally, I don't think it solves the problem that are psi-stalkers.

Hunters tend to evolve weapons before defences. Psi-stalkers are hunters, they hunt supernatural. It would make more sense if, when within say 10 ft of anything supernatural or magical, they can inflict MDC damage with punches to SN or CoM. I guess a better way of putting it is that against SN and CoM they do SDC damage, but because of their natural abilities, the damage a SN/CoM takes will be in MDC.

So, they don't have SN PS (no lifting tanks and throwing them) and it keeps them from being disliked by the CS.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

RainOfSteel wrote:------------------------------------

I think it would read a lot better if it said, "Psi-Stalkers mystically transform into MDC beings when within one mile of a Supernatural MDC creature. This transformation is not obvious to observers or the Psi-Stalker, and does not serve as an early warning system. If the Psi-Stalker is in the presence of the same Supernatural MDC creature for extended periods of time (one week or more), and mentally does not react as if it is an enemy (this reaction cannot be faked), that particular Supernatural MDC creature will no longer cause the Psi-Stalker to transform."

Perhaps KC can put some additional clauses on it?

I find the MDC transformation rule a bit insulting, really. It's like slapping training wheels on a Spider-Skull Walker. Psi-stalkers were just fine, and there weren't any problems with them surviving.
But I'll stretch my mind enough to play "What IF I wanted to use some incarnation of this rule...." for a minute.

What you have is pretty good, but the idea still bugs me. I would find it more palatable if it was changed to be more in line with the Chaos Earth rules for demons who have an animal vulnerability. So that Psi-Stalkers are always SDC creatures, but attacks from supernatural creatures only inflict SDC damage to the psi-stalker. There wouldn't even need to be any transformation at all for the psi-stalkers; it would just be a weakness for the demons. And if you were going that route, then psi-stalkers could inflict MD to MDC demons with their bare hands if they needed to.

(I wouldn't DO any of that, but there is at least a pre-existing basis for it in the rules)

torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

General_Sarkoff wrote:Idiotic was my first, second and third reaction. So what the new rules say is if a demon fires an energy bolt at the psi-stalker he is (at least partially) MDC, but if a thug shoots him with a Wilks lazer pistol wile standing next to said demon the psi-stalker is just a squishy SDC creature? Makes no sense to me.

Same here, especially since many will simply just whip out a laser pistol to gibb the stalker...

Return to “Rifts®”