How the CS population and troop strength makes sense...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hystrix
Champion

How the CS population and troop strength makes sense...

Unread post by Hystrix »

I know there are on going debates and side arguments about how the CS could never put up the military forces that it does. Well it can and here are some reasons why, with appropriate references...

CS Population:

CS Lone Star: (According to WB 13) about 96,000... of those 37,700 are troops.
CS Missouri: (According to Aftermath) approx 250,000 plus 94,000 troops --- 344,000 total.
CS El Dorado (Arkansas): No official population given. We know that Ft. Eldorado and surrounding communities had a pop of about 215,000 (135,000 in the city, 80,000 around the city) before the Jucier Uprising (WB 10: Jucier Uprising). The rest of the state is uknown though it is a large area, and there are supposed to be many human settlements who joined the CS along with El Dorado. According the WB 11 CWC, the Arkasas terretory will be the second largest state behind Chi-Town. I give the pop of the whole state about 2 million. It could be less, but it's supposed to be bigger than Iron Heart...

CS Iron Heart: The City Iron is supposed to be about a million people with 700,000 more citizens scattered throught the terretory giving us a total population of 1.7 million. You could say the Iron Heart has a TOTAL pop of 700,000, and in turn the State of El Dorado is also smaller than mention above. Personally I go with the former. Why? Because the CS is supposed to be huge. Missouri, and Lone Star are small, but the other states are supposed to be large kingdoms in there own right.

Which brings us to Chi-Town:

CS Chi-Town: Iowa has a pop of 1-1.3 million depending on the source you use. The Illinois portion of Chi-Town has a population consisting of:

the City of Chi-Town: 2.2 million (Aftermath)
New Waukeegan (see CWC, and Aventure book 1 Forbidden Knowlege): 700,000
11 other cities (average pop about 200,000) : 2.2 million
Hundreds of small towns (with pops from 1000-10,000; RUE): 500,000- 1,000,000 total

Bringing the Human Chi-Town Population to --- 6.6-7.4 million not counting around 4 million squaters in the burbs (or Dog Boys or Psi-Stalkers)

This brings the total CS human population (citizens) to 8,740,000 to 11,340,000 with another 4-5 million squatters scattered thoughout the States.

Bringing us to the military. In CWC, it states the conscription is about 10% of the total CS population, and that there are new recruits joining to take the place of the fallen. This yeilds us with a troop potential of 874,000 to 1,134,000 Humsn troops with another 400,000-500,000 coming from non-citizens. Plus Dog Boys with may yeild another 200,000 - 400,000 (I'm geussing , I don't know the answer to this), and possible 100,000 Psi-Stalkers. Giving us a potential of as many as 2,134,000 troops. This is somewhat greater than 10% of the populatin when you consider non-citizens, and the fact the most Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers a career soldiers. This number also dosn't include skelebots.

Also, according to Aftermath, the CS lost aprox 405,000 troops to Tolkeen, and arround 50,000 to FQ. However the troops at Tolkeen where mostly non-citizen soldiers. My estimates put the CS at losing only about 200,000 actual citizen soldiers. A large number, but not as devistating as some of you believe.

And is it so hard to believe that a society with enemies around every bend (or so they think) to have such a huge military. I've heard some people try to compare the US military with the CS which is insne, but if you must...

remember that the US in WWII fielded around 8 million troops. The population in 1940 was 132,164,569 (less than half of what it is today). Meaning the US had 6% of it's population fighting in WWII. And it wasn't even on our soil!

Better yet, consider the Civil War. In 1860, the US population was 31,443,321. And between the Union and the Confederacy the troop totals were 2,638,797. Around 8.4% of the population.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h980.html

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/us20.cfm

Oh, and Germany in WWI had a estimated 18.5 million troops
http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/ww2_questions.htm

Not sure what the popultion of Germany was during that time but today it is 82,000,000. I'm sure it was less back then... eVen if it was the same Germany would have had 22.5% of its population as soldiers...

BTW, I'd like to point out that neither the US nor Germany had near the squatters , Dog Boys, or Psi-Stalkers the the CS has to pool from... :D
Last edited by Hystrix on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

You should get this in a Rifter.....
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

omg its cant be, you made sense and all you had to do was gather the information from the books, wow that is amazing :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Ballad wrote:but but , how could a fascist dictatorship embroiled in war and conscripting troops possibly have a larger army then democracy with an all volunteer army :D
striking the fires of hate , raising the common footsoldier to be that of champion of humankinds, and playing on the hopes of getting your family inside of the "safe" cities in the coaliton states, saying every living creature that comes out of a rifts is a monster bent on eating you and your enitre family or corrupt your soul (Tolkeen is the perfect example of that). Now throw in pecos bandits and FOM , that talk about freedom and peace is all good, but when it comes down to it, its a limited job market in rifts. :D no need for freelance writers or people who work at rpg businesses
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Ballad wrote:but but , how could a fascist dictatorship embroiled in war and conscripting troops possibly have a larger army then democracy with an all volunteer army :D

Actually, according to CWC there hasn't been a need for for a draft in 30 years!

Mecha - Thanks! But some of those numbers are my own. :)
RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: How the CS population and troop strength makes sence...

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Hystrix wrote:CS Missouri: (According to Aftermath) approx 250,000 plus 94,000 troops --- 344,000 total.

Aftermath is the wrong source to use. That's after it's all over.

Hystrix wrote:Bringing the Human Chi-Town Population to --- 6.6-7.4 million not counting around 4 million squaters in the burbs (or Dog Boys or Psi-Stalkers)

Your total for Chi-Town looks ok to me, even if I arrived at something similar by somewhat different numbers.

The population of the burbs is meaningless. There are so many conflicting points about trying to draw troops from them and about the status of those numbers, that's its laughable.

May I ask where you got a figure of 4 million for the burb population? The only figure I've seen is 3 million (including that 30% of them die each year, meaninging that in 5 years their real population would be 0).

Hystrix wrote:This brings the total CS human population (citizens) to 8,740,000 to 11,340,000 with another 4-5 million squatters scattered thoughout the States.

IH's and FQ's population is largely irrelevant. There is no way they could operate significant numbers of forces at a great range (IH would be better suited to it than FQ because they're closer, but they're smaller and less industrially capable, too).

At best they could offer token expeditionary forces, and perhaps some

In any event, they have their own problems to worry about. Sending off large fractions of their armies would leave them extremely vulnerable. Their wouldn't be any "coalition" anything shortly after Karl issued an order for them to supply a large fraction of their army (not to mention that it would kill them economically).

Hystrix wrote:Bringing us to the military. In CWC, it states the conscription is about 10% of the total CS population,

I'll believe you even without a direct citie.

Even the idea is ludicrous.

Can you imagine the US fielding 30 million troops? Maybe you can. I can't. Especially since the 20/21st century US economy vastly outshines that of the combined CS economy, despite the tech level difference (the CS does not so much have a technology level as it has a srounging/scavenging level).

Hystrix wrote:and that there are new recruits joining to take the place of the fallen.

Where do these new recruits magically come from? Are they appearing spontaneously out of thin air?

The CS armed forces as given already represent more than the normal able bodied war-ready population.

Hystrix wrote:This yeilds us with a troop potential of 874,000 to 1,134,000 Humsn troops with another 400,000-500,000 coming from non-citizens.

Only at exagerated percentage rates that are meaningless in a reality that makes sense.

Hystrix wrote:Plus Dog Boys with may yeild another 200,000 - 400,000 (I'm geussing , I don't know the answer to this), and possible 100,000 Psi-Stalkers. Giving us a potential of as many as 2,134,000 troops.

I disagree with this troop number adamantly.

Hystrix wrote:This number also dosn't include skelebots.

Bots that the CS couldn't possibly afford . . . (at least not in the numbers given in canon).

Hystrix wrote:Also, according to Aftermath, the CS lost aprox 405,000 troops to Tolkeen, and arround 50,000 to FQ.

Where does it say the CS lost 50k vs. FQ? It's not on Aftermath p.138/139.

As far as I interpret, there were 405k CS human soldiers dead. And possibly another 195k dogboys, mercenaries, and "agents".

And let use not forget 1.4 million CS human soldiers wounded enough to be listed in this category.

Hystrix wrote:However the troops at Tolkeen where mostly non-citizen soldiers.

At the "canon end", maybe. But the CS did not resort to its large scale canon "burb recruiting" until after the Sorcerer's Revenge.

Hystrix wrote:My estimates put the CS at losing only about 200,000 actual citizen soldiers.

No, it was 405,000. According to canon, very few casulaties were taken in the final stage of the war, and so of the "burb recruits", few would have died.

Hystrix wrote:A large number, but not as devistating as some of you believe.

405k seems pretty devastating to me, especially when piled on top of 195k dog boy deaths and the deaths of so many mercenaries who were actually willing to fight on the CS' side, and then 1.4 million human wounded.

Hystrix wrote:And is it so hard to believe that a society with enemies around every bend (or so they think) to have such a huge military.

I think that the CS would field and deploy the largest military it could get away with.

I just think it would happen to be a lot smaller, and a lot more realistic (as in infinitely more realistic) if the numbers actually made sense in light of things like demographic, economic, industrial, and logistical reality.

Hystrix wrote:I've heard some people try to compare the US military with the CS which is insne, but if you must...

remember that the US in WWII fielded around 8 million troops.

The peak US WWII troop strength was approximately 5 million inlcuding the Army's Air Force.

Hystrix wrote:The population in 1940 was 132,164,569 (less than half of what it is today). Meaning the US had 6% of it's population fighting in WWII. And it wasn't even on our soil!

It was more like 3.7%. And also, a some of those 5,000,000 never left US soil. They labored away in various logistics and administration positions (and others).

For each troop in the field, there were several operating in support.

PB' material on the CS' military entirely ignores this incontrovertible military reality.

Hystrix wrote:Better yet, consider the Civil War. In 1860, the US population was 31,443,321. And between the Union and the Confederacy the troop totals were 2,638,797. Around 8.4% of the population.

You are adding the figures incorrectly.

Those troops were not all simultaneously available and do not represent the peak available troop strength.

That would be like counting the CS troop strength at the start and and the end of Siege on Tolkeen together at the same time (counting the dead with the living* . . . well, I guess its possible with Necromany on Rifts Earth, but the CS doesn't use it).

From the peak available troop strength in 1863, the total troops fighting each other was 952,016, or only 3% of the total US population.

*Not to mention those discharged for various reasons, like 1.4 million wounded.

Hystrix wrote:Oh, and Germany in WWI had a estimated 18.5 million troops
http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/ww2_questions.htm

This source makes it clear that 18.5 million is a total troops across the war value, and not a peak troop strength.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Hystrix wrote:

Actually, according to CWC there hasn't been a need for for a draft in 30 years!

Mecha - Thanks! But some of those numbers are my own. :)
i know, but some the other wouldnt because most of them dont own all the books :lol:

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

RainOfSteel wrote:
Hystrix wrote:wow neat
its comes down to the job market
CS military is hiring and SUper comics is not , PB wotc arent hiring, chuckle cheese isnt open , fast food inst not open basically all of the little minor things in life right now are not open
its comes down to cs or find your own job to feed , and protect your familiy. :D

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Where do these new recruits magically come from? Are they appearing spontaneously out of thin air?

Contrary to what had initially been implied by the Rifts Main Book, the Domain of Man is pretty heavily populated (as is evidenced by every North American worldbook since). The CS keeps expanding, and non-citizens keep wanting to get in. As early as CWC, the CS was recruiting non-citizens into the juicer battalions.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

How feasible is a centrally planned economy for the Coalition States? I think it might be pretty feasible.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

RainOfSteel wrote:The peak US WWII troop strength was approximately 5 million inlcuding the Army's Air Force

That is wrong.

According to THIS, the peak military might of the U.S. in WWII was 7,533,000.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: How the CS population and troop strength makes sense...

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Hystrix wrote:Plus Dog Boys with may yeild another 200,000 - 400,000 (I'm geussing , I don't know the answer to this)

If you have a copy check out Source Book One. There it shows the CS with a population of about 14 Million (which then included Free Quebec). In a prominent notation it said that 10% of that figure was made up of Dog Boys. That give them at least a pre-war number of 1.4 Million Dog Boys and a probable post-war number of about 1.2 at bear minimum.

Now certainly they didn't field them all, but even going with a quarter of the Psi-Hound population (conservatively) that gives the Coalition a big start at fielding a million "man" army.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

What are the economics of survival?

As far as the average CS citizen is concerned they are fighting for survival against near impossible odds.

The army is the only constant job source, as automation makes factory work unlikely, farming can also be mechanized (that how Holmes ended up with all those farm boys).

Plus the CS is almost certainly a place where most businesses are nationalized, they have a self sustaining economy.

And they are the biggest scroungers out there.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
tenakafurey
Wanderer

Unread post by tenakafurey »

Hystrix wrote:I know there are on going debates and side arguments about how the CS could never put up the military forces that it does. Well it can and here are some reasons why, with appropriate references...

Not to undo all your work...but RIFTS SB1 has a full accounting of the CS population circa 102PA.

It was 14 million, 10 million less Quebec. It probably hasn't changed much by 109PA.

That doesn't count the burbs around the CS, and the non-citizen humans. The total population is unknown, but 3-4 million alone outside Chi-Town itself.

Many of those join the army hoping for a quick path to ctizenship. Indeed, roughly half the troops at Tolkeen were from the Burbs....recruitment efforts started long before the war began....and they also took the lions share of casualties.

EJL
RainOfSteel
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Hystrix wrote:wow neat
its comes down to the job market
CS military is hiring and SUper comics is not , PB wotc arent hiring, chuckle cheese isnt open , fast food inst not open basically all of the little minor things in life right now are not open
its comes down to cs or find your own job to feed , and protect your familiy. :D

Hystrix didn't write "wow neat".

Since you included none of what I wrote, you included a quote block from me by accident.

"SUper comics"? "PB wotc" (now there is an interesting organization . . . I'm sure KS would be surprised to hear about the merger)? "chuckle cheese"?

Are you attempting, in your own special round-a-bout way, to assert that the CS is the only employer?

That assertion has been blown out of the water with enough force to raise a legendary tidal wave.

Or were you attempting to assert that the CS offered the only jobs around?

That assertion is also not true on the face of it.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

shadrak wrote:

Contrary to what had initially been implied by the Rifts Main Book, the Domain of Man is pretty heavily populated (as is evidenced by every North American worldbook since). The CS keeps expanding, and non-citizens keep wanting to get in. As early as CWC, the CS was recruiting non-citizens into the juicer battalions.

Chi-Town has existed for nearly 100 years in one form or another.

The majority of those who wanted to move to Chi-Town have already done so, long before PA 100.

There are no resevoirs of population surrounding Chi-Town just sitting around, waiting to immigrate there.

Where? Tolkeen? No. Lazlo? No. New Lazlo? No. The Federation of Magic? No. The Pecos Empire? No. The Dinasour Swamps? Nada. The other CS states? Likely not, they need their population.

By PA 100 the populations of the surrounding territories are largely either enemies or allies who need their people just to stay afloat. If Chi-Town raids its smaller allies for permanent population, it will hurt those allies very seriously (and thus hurt itself). Even IH and FQ would not be a source of a significate permanent population for Chi-Town: 1) they wouldn't cooperate with any order to provide the people, 2) if forced would foot-drag, 3) Chi-Town wouldn't take people from FQ because they're all literate and educated, 4) moving enough people to matter would cost a fortune that none of them have, 5) would hurt IH and FQ as badly as any of the other states, leading to 6) they wouldn't cooperate).

The simple basic fact is that the number of refugees reaching the burbs of Chi-Town is a trickle.

Perhaps in the heyday of migration of people to Chi-Town, many decades before PA 100, they really were ravaged by 30% annual population death and there were still enough refugees for the burb population to remain steady. That could possibly have lasted for two or three years. Maybe the 3 million dead and the mass graveyards was so mind-searing that it is a legend that the death rates continues into the modern day, even when it does not.

Remember, just ten years of 30% death rate in a population of 3 million exceeds the total population of Chi-Town and then some. If this continued on for ten decades, that's approximately 90 million dead. The population of PA 0 NA wasn't anywhere near that. They weren't all born, grown up to an age to immigrate, to suddenly die in mass droves in the burbs over the course of that one hundred year period. There simply weren't enough people to have even given birth to so many.

I see no one has addressed the simple problem of paying the annual salaries of 1,000,000 troopers. Oh, and don't forget, the dog boys (a group above and beyond the human troops) also receive a salary.

Skelebots cost MCr3, and one million of them is TCr3 (3,000,000,000,000 credits).

The bottom line is that numbers were tossed out in canon without any regard to what might actually be possible.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:so where you trying to go with this or are you just nitpicking it like a horse's butt just to nit pick it??? :?

Where were you trying to go with your, ah, statement (earlier)?
RainOfSteel
Champion

Ballad wrote:I see you assume that the CS is a third generation force instead of a fourth generation force. Seeing that WWII Germany and the modern US army are on the verge of fourth generation....well I would guess the tooth to tail ratio for the CS army would be more on par with gen 4 warfare then with WWII allies generation 3 warfare.

Would you care to provide some cites for the exact ratios you're discussing?

Because after WWII, the ratio of support forces to fighting forces increased, it did not decrease.

The US military might now have a decreased ration and might still be effective at fighting, but I think we can all see what has happened to their ability to provide wide-spread security (the occupation of Iraq & Afghanistan) arising out of lack of sufficient troops on the ground.

Ballad wrote:see rumsfeild leaner meaner army stuff for an example of gen 4).

"See" anything by one of the stupidest and most arrogant Secretaries of Defense in the history of the US?

If want humor, I'll read Schlok Mercenary. At least the author earnestly attempts to create a consistent SF milieu (at least so far that I have read).

Ballad wrote:You also assume that there would be some sort of economic issues.

Of course I assume that. It is unavoidable.

Ballad wrote:First the coalition and its populace is not out to make a profit, it is not capitalistic but much more likely to be socialistic

Oh no. Not this argument again.

I don't know if I have the strength to refute this utterly for the 40th time (ok, third or fourth).

It's almost midnight, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

The Basics: The CS is not running a command economy (ala the USSR). It is running a capitalist system held at the point of gun (ala the People's Republic of China with hints of Nazi industrial feudalism thrown in).

Ballad wrote:(this is admittedly an assumption, but a capitalistic society would have economic issues, a bad thing when you are struggling for survival).

All governments have economic issues. Really, they do. It matters not what governmental system or policy is in place.

Ballad wrote:This allows for a greater mobilization of the military.

In what way? Please be specific, and if you can provide examples from history (as in, examples that actually happened) that would be helpful.

Ballad wrote:If we accept that we have no clue what materials they use

I wouldn't say we have no clue about what materials they use.

Advanced ceramics and super alloy metals, probably laminated (probably on a molecular level).

Ballad wrote: (seeing that we know they have fusion reactors, advanced optics and advanced ceramics their need for metals is next to nothing.

Hmm, that's quite a leap, but it simply replaces one need with another. The ingredients necessary for advanced ceramics can have some interesting requirements.

Somehow I think you are assuming that the CS will just make all of their war materials out of sand, and it isn't going to work that way.

Nanofactory production will make things easier than it is today, certainly. But that does not mean there will be no cost.

The CS cannot have full-blown nanotech because if they did they'd roll over the whole world and get rid of Atlantis and Splynncryth overnight.

In my rifts milieu: I assert that the nanotech factories available to the CS, perforce, must be the remnants of the past age. Jury-rigged, patched, and barely functioning. Yet they are what makes it possible for the CS to have multiple lines of supertech gear in production without having world-wide networks of partners cooperating in their own specialities (as is done in the RW today). The nanotech is not free-roaming (it is restricted to integegrated systems or factories). Systems and factories are not infinitely reconfigureable at the drop of a hat. Factory changes require several thousand man-hours of software, materials, chemical, biological, topological, and engineering expertise plus craftsmanship capability. Systems cannot be reconfigured at all, they work they way they were made to work and if they break they stay broken (the CS' equipment shows no signs of self-regeneration capability).

Ballad wrote:We can probably assume there tech level for things like Nano-lubricants are on par with ours the need for petroleum is next to nothing

Whoops, petroleum is quite necessary for plastics and the entire chemical industry (which drives so much of high tech manufacturing). Some ceramics would be partially plastic. (So might be some metals.)

Saying that their development of a new lubricant would omit the need for all petroleum is not correct.

Nanotech production would likely include the input of various forms of refined petroleum.

And, thanks to Fred Pohl, let us not forget that CHON can make food, too. (The tech is up for it, I believe.)

Ballad wrote:and easily filled by the Il oil fields...some of the largest if dirty in the country) the claim in navy that they are self sufficient with no need for trade should be taken on face value.

Could you cite that? I tend to ignore SB4: CS Navy because every time I look in it I start laughing or give up in disgust. (Not at the art or layout or anything, just at the whole idea of the navy in the first place and where it came from.)

Ballad wrote:So they have no need for trade to support the nation (this statement was made post build up)

Trade? What trade? MercTown seems to make it clear that international trade in NA exists, but the volume of it is open to wild speculation.

In any event, none of my estimates include any economic gain to any part of the CS from international trade.

Even without trade the CS can just barely economically afford to pay and equip its soldiers, dog boys, etc., and then only by accepting absurd taxation levels that would leave the entire civilian population a mind-blown mass of emotionally and motivationally burned out cinders that never purchased anything beyond food and shelter . . . hardly the sort of populace that the descriptions of Chi-Town would seem to suggest is harbored within (oh, a small percentage, 2-3%, maybe).

Ballad wrote:automated factories can show how things where made so quickly,

We're already assuming automated nanofactories. There is no way the CS could have any of its super tech gear in the first place without them.

Ballad wrote:SB1 has NG light labor bots, they can work 20 hrs a day 7 days a week 265 days a year, with no breaks or manufacturing defects

What? You're assuming the robots never break down? Actually, they do.

But I was assuming better than production lines with humanoid robots.

Ballad wrote:you have a mass production on a insane scale, as an added plus that frees up the population for spots in the army.

Um, it's too expensive to deploy a robot for each person in the same way that having a million skelebots is too expensive. The CS just can't afford to pay for all the robots, much less devote its precious nanofactory capacity (ok, I admit it, that last part is also "in my Rifts universe") to buildin the robots in the first place (you aren't getting those labor bots from little old ladies in their homes sewing them together in their spare time). They have to come from somewhere, and that means not building some weapons, most likely skelebots.

Also, if robots really can deploy on this scale, there human labor is going to be sitting around. I doubt Karl would approve of such a large and footloose mob of humanity under his yoke.

No, the civilian population of the CS is at work. Some man the nanofactories (or whatever passes for industrial production in your Rifts universe), a great many work in distribution and service industries. Private (and fully capitalistic) industry also employs many of these people, as the various books make clear, there is a consumer market in the CS, and those 20th century level tech goods are coming from somewhere (but it isn't going to be nanofactories because those will be used to produce super tech gear exclusively . . . I can't see Karl authorizing the use of of a nanofactory to make future equivalents of MP3 players when it could be turning out dead boy armor instead).

Ballad wrote:Again this assumes you accept the books statement that the coalition tech level is past that of NG.

Can you clarify this? The chain of suppositions doesn't seem to have connected anything so far as I can tell.

Spell it out for me.

Ballad wrote:So in a socialistic self sufficient state

Which is not any of the Coaliation States.

Ballad wrote:where exactly is the deterrent form maintaining 10% of the population in the military

Ok, I guess I'll have to get into it.

The CS credit is the most widely accepted form of currency in Rifts North America.

In order for that to be true, it must be worth something.

In order for it to be worth something, you have to be able to walk into a store, toss down your debit-card (let's not get into the mess of using those right at the moment), and buy something. Anything. A gun. A medkit. A TW Water Flare.

We know this happens because an actual game would grind to an instant halt if it did not when the players first discovered that their credits were worthless and therefore start demanding payments in gold, gems, weapons, and mecha from all possible patrons.

Now, we know that CS soldiers and dog boys get paid. Why? Becuase the RMB and RUE tell us that it is so.

Those paychecks are going to be spent on something. If the CS is has a command economy (which has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it is socialist or not), then like the USSR, its currently will be untranslatable with any other and will be worthless, except we know that it isn't worthless. It is, in fact, very valuable. Ipso facto, the CS isn't using a command economy.

CS soldiers and their families spend their paychecks on whatever their bills are. Taxes, food for the kids, a few luxuries and entertainments, although there will be none of that since the taxes required just to pay for the troops are so high that the almost the entire military budget is already done away with. Kind of a catch-22 situation.

Ballad wrote:...a number that nations in earths past have achieved without the advantage of a fully automated manufacturing force.

Care to cite that?
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:so where you trying to go with this or are you just nitpicking it like a horse's butt just to nit pick it??? :?

Mech your post was most confusing, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask you to post something that makes sense and doesn't miss-quote someone.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Anyway, I still find it impossible to believe the CS has the resources to supply the million man army that goes to Tolkeen, as well as the army it must leave behind to defend itself.

Remember that the CS also has an army in the South under Cashbrook and each city state must have troops to protect the borders.

Are we counting support troops or just soldiers?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
RainOfSteel
Champion

Gah, I have to wake up in four hours. :(

Goodbye for the time being.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Anyway, I still find it impossible to believe the CS has the resources to supply the million man army that goes to Tolkeen, as well as the army it must leave behind to defend itself.

Remember that the CS also has an army in the South under Cashbrook and each city state must have troops to protect the borders.

Are we counting support troops or just soldiers?

At this point does it matter?

RoS can you please point out where the economic policy of the CS is laid out cause I dont recall seeing it, thats why I made it up for my game world (and without worrying about pesky real world things).
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

grandmaster z0b wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

Mech your post was most confusing, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask you to post something that makes sense and doesn't miss-quote someone.
miss quote sorry i dont miss quote unlike some here

my point is in there are most of the meaningless business like wotc, pb , your local 7-11, gas stations, fast food , record stores , clothing stores, book stores, and the most of the shops you find in your local mall are null and void in the world of rifts. ever wonder why they are some many mercs running around in rifts earth?

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Ok...I will give you all that the stregnth of the CS army seems pretty unreasonable in SoT...but SoT is canon, and the CS is very strong. But, to be honest, isn't most of what is in SoT pretty unreasonable? Could the Tolkeenite forces have raised so great an armythemselves? Is a small portion of Minn. and Wisc. a large enough area to support manuever of forces these great? I mean, millions of men in an area MAYBE a couple hundred miles in diameter? It turns into a giant slug fest.

So, I will give you this: it does seem absurd, and with these numbers, it does seem that the CS could wipe out the Gargoyle empire (something NGR would do if it could, and NGR is portrayed as having a more powerful military force) and give Atlantis a good run for its money.

Still, it is what the book says. And, like any other book where the numbers don't make sense (see discussions on Devestator, et al.), you can change it for your gaming universe.

Now, I think it is quite logical that the CS could field an army of this size if that was all it was concerned with (after all, ARCHIE 3's robots are more expensive, but he produces them at cost-which is virtually nil, maybe it is the same for the CS and is Robots and Power Armor). At the same time, I think these numbers are far too great (with an army numbering in the millions, how threatening is Nyxla, etc?).
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

remember the recuitment drive after 9-11, now add in every other factors

people trying to get thier families inside a cs city
people who think its thier duty to humankind and the CS (city folks)
people carrying on the family line in the military service(city folks)
people looking to get out of the burbs and do something esle
people looking to gain any power they can over someone esle
people looking to settle some scores

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

nothing wrong with the reported post other then some bad typos. If the reported disagress with this, please PM me and let me know why they reported the post.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

The Deific NMI wrote:nothing wrong with the reported post other then some bad typos. If the reported disagress with this, please PM me and let me know why they reported the post.
what people trying to get me in trouble again :D

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Mech-Viper wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:nothing wrong with the reported post other then some bad typos. If the reported disagress with this, please PM me and let me know why they reported the post.

Could be, somebody starts losing an argument they run to daddy (or in this case NMI).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nxla666 wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:

Could be, somebody starts losing an argument they run to daddy (or in this case NMI).

The Dadific NMI? ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

it allways seemed to me that the CS lived in a state of voulentary communism. All armor and weapon and high tech manufacturing was state run, private firms could exist and where in fact encouraged to exist as long as they did not encrouch on the goverment's buisnesses. The reason that a totalitarian, oppresive militaristic state like the coalition can exist is because to most people they have the best game in town. The people in the citys are safe, not like the rest of the world, and all they have to give up is their freedom and privacy. For most people on rifts earth thats a deal, couple that with the constant propaganda, the general ignorance of the populace and the desperation in the burbs and you have a recipe for war. As for the Skelebots, 3 million is the black market price, the price of a skelebot that has been reprogramed to obey the purchaser, that has nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing a brand new skelebot, keep in mind Nike spends about 1$ to produce a 200$ pair of sneakers, apply similar math to skelebots and you have some idea as to why the CS can afford to send millions against their foes.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Zylo wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:As for the Skelebots, 3 million is the black market price, the price of a skelebot that has been reprogramed to obey the purchaser, that has nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing a brand new skelebot

The thing about skelebots that annoy me are the 3 million nuclear power plants and the materials to make them (even though they are low yield), the 3 million weapon systems to equip them, and the fact the numbers completely fly in the face of what was reported in Source Book 1. Things like a division of skelebots was never planned (CWC changed that though), like the two new factories that are coming online will up the production from 864/month to 2592/month, not counting the 288/month Chi-town can produces. So, that's less than 3000 a month, not counting any losses. When did they start building the bots required for SoT? Around 27 years in the past? :lol:

Throw this in with the 3 million extra SAMAS suits from CWC, the huge numbers of people that appear to be front line soliders and the equipment they require, it must cost the CS pesos to make their stuff! It also makes me think that the writer didn't think about it much when planning the debacle, only thought the bigger numbers meant bigger excitement.

Of course, if you wanted to guess what a skelebot costs to make, you can look at the Hunter Skelebot in CWC and see the CS cost is 3.8 million credits. It's experimental, but not horribly different from the normal bot. Even if the FASSAR-20 and 30 cost 250K credits to make and equip, that's mucho bucks!

In thier own economy. Remember the CS isn't paying another nation to make these. They are doing it themselves. And black market cost has NOTHING to do with manufacturing cost.

Besides the US wasted litterally hundreds of MILLIONS during WWII on prototypes of military hardware that NEVER saw any action.

As far as the SAMAS go, remember that the SAMAS was a pre-Rifts design. They have been in service in the CS for atleast 25 years (maybe longer). They could have found huge caches of these suits a upgraded them... in a addition to what they could have build in the last 25 years.

And Skelebots... well they'd have some serious manufacturing, but the entire CS is devoted to building a military machine. Like the US during WWII most jobs are centered around military manufacturing.

As far as resources go remember a few things:

1. MDC alloy is just that: an alloy. It's not a speacial metal that's being mined... its a mixture of metal, and ceramics that form a super dense alloy that is decades beyond what we can do today.

2. Therefore it wouldn't take anymore resouces to make a skelebot or a SAMAS than it would to build a car today. The difference is that know how of how to make the war machines.

3. There are literally milllions of new cars being made EVERY year. Now imagine if all auto manufactures made tanks instead of cars, but the tanks were made of super dense alloys that made them no bigger than cars...maybe smaller.

4. Remember this a futuristic society. There methods of maufactuing and use of resources would be lightyears ahead of what we have today....
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

tenakafurey wrote:
Hystrix wrote:I know there are on going debates and side arguments about how the CS could never put up the military forces that it does. Well it can and here are some reasons why, with appropriate references...

Not to undo all your work...but RIFTS SB1 has a full accounting of the CS population circa 102PA.

It was 14 million, 10 million less Quebec. It probably hasn't changed much by 109PA.

That doesn't count the burbs around the CS, and the non-citizen humans. The total population is unknown, but 3-4 million alone outside Chi-Town itself.

Many of those join the army hoping for a quick path to ctizenship. Indeed, roughly half the troops at Tolkeen were from the Burbs....recruitment efforts started long before the war began....and they also took the lions share of casualties.

EJL

I've never heard of Sourcebook One... :lol:

Yes, I'm aware Sourcebook One has CS population estimates, but I tend to go by the more current info (like that found in Aftermath, and RUE). Plus many of you seem to be forgetting this little thing called population aunnual growth rate. If the CS had a growth rate close to what we have today (about 0.8%) then thier population would have increased by at least 500,000 between the years 102-109 PA.

On a side note: Who ever asked about my figures for the CS losses at FQ: In Aftermath (page 62? I think). It states that the CS suffered less than 7% casualties. In WB 22 it mentioned the total CS forces in FQ where around 700,000. 7% of 700,000 is 49,000. My figure of 50,000 was just rounding up.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nxla666 wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:

i miss my tag from nexus forums :D ,

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Mech-Viper wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:

i miss my tag from nexus forums :D ,

:lol: :-D :lol:
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ballad wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Zylo wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
4. Remember this a futuristic society. There methods of maufactuing and use of resources would be lightyears ahead of what we have today....

more on this point. Going back to SB1 again, we know Northern Gun has labor bots that can work 20hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. The CS with a higher tech level wouldn't have these why exactly?

hey! don't misquote me!
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Ballad wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Zylo wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

more on this point. Going back to SB1 again, we know Northern Gun has labor bots that can work 20hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. The CS with a higher tech level wouldn't have these why exactly?

Who says they don't? Besides, automated robots don't have to be humanoid...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

that was the manufacturing speed for the origional skelebots, they came up with a new design and then obviously came up with new factorys in quantity. as for nuclear feul, lord knows where they got it, they could have some sci-fi way of making iron radioactive, or a bunch of uranium could have fallen thru a rift or they coud have built chi town over the old american empire's nuclear storage area... we don't know, make the galactis kid answer you.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

rat_bastard wrote:that was the manufacturing speed for the origional skelebots, they came up with a new design and then obviously came up with new factorys in quantity. as for nuclear feul, lord knows where they got it, they could have some sci-fi way of making iron radioactive, or a bunch of uranium could have fallen thru a rift or they coud have built chi town over the old american empire's nuclear storage area... we don't know, make the galactis kid answer you.

Well these are pretty small reators, and decades (or centuries?) in advance of what we can do. Maybe they don't need that much uranium. Plus it seems the the CS really inherited all of the waelth of the old American Empire. The SAMAS, most of thier gear, and prolly thier old nukes, and facilities. Shoot, the Lone Star complex is pre-Rifts...

The CS benifits from alot of old stuff, and then they took the next step...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

the other thing is that the whole send a million bajillion skelebot againts a foe that can kick skelebot ass foe so that there are all these feilds full of valuable spare parts is a great subplot for those players who might have made a more non-combat character. Want a nuclear ractor for your electric mountaineer? raid a skelebot graveyard, want to hook your munchkiny rifle to a real man's power souce? skelebot graveyard, want CS gear but don't have the creds? skelebot graveyard.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

rat_bastard wrote:the other thing is that the whole send a million bajillion skelebot againts a foe that can kick skelebot ass foe so that there are all these feilds full of valuable spare parts is a great subplot for those players who might have made a more non-combat character. Want a nuclear ractor for your electric mountaineer? raid a skelebot graveyard, want to hook your munchkiny rifle to a real man's power souce? skelebot graveyard, want CS gear but don't have the creds? skelebot graveyard.

Well, that's the spoils of war. However, there prolly isn'tmuch left anymore. And don't forget the dangers of the Skelebot Graveyards... other looters, Skelebots pretending to be "dead"....
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Hystrix wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:the other thing is that the whole send a million bajillion skelebot againts a foe that can kick skelebot ass foe so that there are all these feilds full of valuable spare parts is a great subplot for those players who might have made a more non-combat character. Want a nuclear ractor for your electric mountaineer? raid a skelebot graveyard, want to hook your munchkiny rifle to a real man's power souce? skelebot graveyard, want CS gear but don't have the creds? skelebot graveyard.

Well, that's the spoils of war. However, there prolly isn'tmuch left anymore. And don't forget the dangers of the Skelebot Graveyards... other looters, Skelebots pretending to be "dead"....

I agree 100%, but its one of those few situations where the benefits outweigh the dangers by many degrees.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

rat_bastard wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I agree 100%, but its one of those few situations where the benefits outweigh the dangers by many degrees.

If aquiring old CS equipment is worth your life...then yes...
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Here is my question about CS population...I don't think it is illogical that the CS have such a large population, but in NA, the population centers don't match up...12 million in the CS? There's only a couple hundred thousand in the entire magic zone. And how large are Northern Gun and MI? CS has a disporportionate population base compared to the rest of North America, as does the Pecos Empire.

Every time there is a city of more than 1000 (see any NA worldbook, including Arzno, Spirit West and New West) it is considered a major population center. Yet the towns in the CS aren't detailed at all, despite a worldbook dedicated to them.

Are there any major corporations in the CS? WHat town is known for beef and corn production, processing and marketing? What is the entertainment center (is there a Hollywood, Nashville, etc?).

Yet there are loads of sourcematerials on po-dunk towns of 2000 and 3000 folks.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

shadrak wrote:Here is my question about CS population...I don't think it is illogical that the CS have such a large population, but in NA, the population centers don't match up...12 million in the CS? There's only a couple hundred thousand in the entire magic zone. And how large are Northern Gun and MI? CS has a disporportionate population base compared to the rest of North America, as does the Pecos Empire.

Every time there is a city of more than 1000 (see any NA worldbook, including Arzno, Spirit West and New West) it is considered a major population center. Yet the towns in the CS aren't detailed at all, despite a worldbook dedicated to them.

Are there any major corporations in the CS? WHat town is known for beef and corn production, processing and marketing? What is the entertainment center (is there a Hollywood, Nashville, etc?).

Yet there are loads of sourcematerials on po-dunk towns of 2000 and 3000 folks.

the answer is simple, the lack of literacy makes a proper census nearly impossible, so when Kevin Seimbeda asked emperor trogg to take a north aerican census he got a bunch of peices of bark with cecks carved in them. :lol:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

I would say I find it hard to believe that this topic has come up yet again but I've been on these boards too long ;)

I am with Rain of Steel on this one. The numbers for the CS (like a LOT of numbers in Rifts) dont make any sense.

As for Mr. Rumsfeld and his oh so wonderul ideas of how to manage a military...Don't get me started. As a soldier who has had to deal with his policies and their results and having met the man, I can say he is clueless. He would have to raise both his IQ and his knowledge by a factor of 10 just to reach the level of ignorant armchair quarter back. :x
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Toc Rat wrote:I would say I find it hard to believe that this topic has come up yet again but I've been on these boards too long ;)

I am with Rain of Steel on this one. The numbers for the CS (like a LOT of numbers in Rifts) dont make any sense.

As for Mr. Rumsfeld and his oh so wonderul ideas of how to manage a military...Don't get me started. As a soldier who has had to deal with his policies and their results and having met the man, I can say he is clueless. He would have to raise both his IQ and his knowledge by a factor of 10 just to reach the level of ignorant armchair quarter back. :x

So what do you think of Powells theories then? :D
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Nxla666 wrote:

Are you refering to the "Powell Doctrine"? If so then I think it's a FANTASTIC policy!!!!!!!!!!

It's wonderful in it's simplicity, gather an overwhelming force and procede to hammer your enemy in to complete submission. If X amount of troops should be able to do the job then use X+Y+Z just to make sure. To qoute Sergeant Major Casey, US Army, Retired, "There is no substitue for heavy armor!"
Last edited by Toc Rat on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Toc Rat wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:

Are you refering to the "Powell Doctrine"? If so then I think it's a FATASTIC policy!!!!!!!!!!

It's wonderful in it's simplicity, gather an overwhelming force and procede to hammer your enemy in to complete submission. If X amount of troops should be able to do the job then use X+Y+Z just to make sure. To qoute Sergeant Major Casey, US Army, Retired, "There is no substitue for heavy armor!"

Is the bolded word one made up by Richard Simmons.

And yes thats what I was talking about.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Nxla666 wrote:
Is the bolded word one made up by Richard Simmons.

And yes thats what I was talking about.

Spelling error corrected...at least for that word anyways :D

RainOfSteel wrote:

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

RainOfSteel wrote:May I ask where you got a figure of 4 million for the burb population? The only figure I've seen is 3 million (including that 30% of them die each year, meaninging that in 5 years their real population would be 0).

You can't honestly believe this.

30% of the existing population dies each year. Zillions of hopeful citizens arrive each year. Still more are born each year. The burbs grow...they don't shrink.

People breed fast when there is a danger of immediate death. Look in places where famine and disease are rampant. Women who are starving (and thusly should not be able to breed) have a whole BUNCH of kids. Why? Because their bodies are in 'survival of the species' mode.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.

Return to “Rifts®”