Why buy Chaos Earth?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Why buy Chaos Earth?

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Tell me about the coolness of Chaos Earth. I like new games where I can tell new stories I have never told before. Tell me about your campaigns and why CE is worth the cash...or not.

Also, how different is CE in actual play vs. Rifts?
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

To me, Chaos Earth is the best setting that Palladium has ever produced. It's dark, gritty, and extremely rough. It's a game whose central theme is human survival... and the humans are losing. It's very dramatic. :ok:
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I agree it really seems to put the survival of the human race into the players hands! I agree about it being a great setting too!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Almost as diverse as Rifts.

Darker than Nightbane.

Potentially scarier than BTS.

Arguably more Dangerous than Splicers.

With a fight for survival not unlike (arguably better than) System Failure.

That's Chaos Earth in a nutshell.

~ Josh
Aramanthus
Monk

I think it one of the most heroic in recent times for most of the RPGs out there.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Aramanthus wrote:I think it one of the most heroic in recent times for most of the RPGs out there.

It also has the potential to be the least heroic, showcasing humanity at its worst.

Which can make it a deep and dark game.

~ Josh
Aramanthus
Monk

Very true Josh! Very true!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I totally know the feeling about that feeling your players mention to you. Mine have said the same thing before.

HH....FIE
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

What makes CE different from Rifts? Are the OCC / tech / enemies different enough to make a notable difference?
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I find another attractive feature of Chaos Earth to be the ease of relation between players and characters. You can literally sit back and wonder, "What if the world as I knew it fell apart tomorrow?" Then, you can go from there. Plus, it's easy to get a sense of what things would be like (to at least a certain degree). There have been so many major disasters as of late, both natural and man-made. For inspiration, one would only need look to the stories that came out of Hurricane Katrina, the Asian Tsunami, the train bombings in Great Britain, and of course Sept. 11th. To me, those stories of triumph and tragedy are the same things that a Chaos Earth campaign are about. Granted, there is a large fictional element involved in CE, and stories might be a little more grandiose, but the concept of the resilience of the human spirit in even the darkest times is the driving force behind the game.

That having been said, I'm not totally fond of everything that has been done for CE. However, my personal taste lends itself to much more "serious" literary archetype than the material I somewhat dislike. So, take my opinion for what you will, but I love the concept of CE and can't wait to see Jason's new books for it (get on it man! :P ).
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I like Chaos Earth. It could use a little more support, but the article about England from the Rifter was a help. You have a good idea of North America, Europe, and Asia from various Rifts books. I still like the original idea for CE better, but the retro is awesome.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Josh Sinsapaugh

SkyStreak wrote:Enemies have the notable difference of having weaknesses or vulnerabilities that allow them to be hurt (or possibly killed) by non-MDC attacks, which is a big change from Rifts (up until this point).

Actually, that's by no means a big change.

There has always been demons and supernatural beings like that in Rifts.

~ Josh
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
SkyStreak wrote:Enemies have the notable difference of having weaknesses or vulnerabilities that allow them to be hurt (or possibly killed) by non-MDC attacks, which is a big change from Rifts (up until this point).

Actually, that's by no means a big change.

There has always been demons and supernatural beings like that in Rifts.

~ Josh

I'd say that it is more explicit and categorized in CE.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”