Newb here needs advice from the PROS

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

hisshers

Newb here needs advice from the PROS

Unread post by hisshers »

Greetings and salutations one and all!

Long time DnD player who has been recently introduced to PFRPG (and Kevin for that matter). The system seems SO much more player-friendly than d20.
My question for the board is this (and if it has been covered ad nauseum, my most honest and humble apologies, just link me!):

What are the pros and cons to each class and race. My GM is limiting races to humans, elves, and dwarves and classes in the core book (don't even know if there are classes beyond core) and I am at a loss.

Any help you could toss my way would be most appreciated!

-hh
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

Well, there are about 20 classes in the core book, and just about every scource book has at least 1-2 classes in it.

Humans are the most well rounded. They have 3d6 for each attribute.

Elves are more quick and dexterous, but they hyave 2d6 for MA, which means they are a bit snooty.

Dwarves can take more physical punishment, and they are stronger. Low light vision is also a pro. But they can be a bit snooty too.

Thats about all i can thhink of
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Lots of classes out there in Adventures on the High Seas there are sailors, pirates, gladiators, actors, stage magicians, etc. For all intents and purposes though most classes are just embellishments on the core book classes. Dwarves get some race skills pertainig to mining and locating direction underground, but for the most part are just strong tough humans who are not wizards, warlocks, etc. Elves are just dextrous humans that can be wizards, warlocks, etc. these are most unlike their DnD cousins inthat there is no real difference. Of course low light vision is a plus, just not an incentive to pick a race over another. Another aspect in this game is while in DnD rolling an 18 for an elf gets you a 20 dex and an 18 in con for a dwarf gets you 20, having the ability to roll more than 3D6. Even then a human can come out on top with the exceptional roll rule if the elf does not roll high enough to get the exceptional roll (and this may be my house rule that an elf could still get an exceptional roll, that rule may only appply to stats that are rolled 3D6). Humans, elves, dwarves are for the main book the non-monster races and work out well for starting players to get used to a new combat system and magic system without having to worry about "ok so my orc can track blood scents nice what can everything else do". Everything is pretty much as balanced as evrything can be in an RPG between these three. When we add the different critters and races we will open up a whole new level of fun and excitment of what can this do as opposed to this (gromeks can fly and are giant sized).
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

Having your DM limit you to those three races and the core classes is probably a good thing. Almost anything you roll up will be playable and competent. There aren't any racial biases towards specific character classes, at least none that provide a tangible benefit to the player the way there are in D&D.

One thing to know ahead of time is that Palladium design philosophy doesn't place much emphasis on balancing the character classes, so some are better than others. This isn't such a big issue that it will cause problems or resentment, though -- at least if the DM runs things well.

Use your skills. They're important to both the game and your advancement.

Look over the experience point table, and take note of where the emphasis is placed. There are no CR levels in Palladium games to calculate experience from. Your actions and ideas are the focus of advancement, not defeating monsters in combat that are worth a certain point value.

Bonus stats are less important in Palladium Fantasy. 2nd Edition has a little power creep in this regard, but your character will be quite able to take care of himself with 10s across the board. Don't sweat it if you don't roll high during character generation.

I think the easiest classes to jump right in and have fun with are (in no particular order): Longbowman, Knight, Thief, Wizard, and Warlock, though if your DM is a stickler about playing only what you have rolled the stats for Soldiers or Mercenary Fighters can be great also. For various reasons I've never really warmed up to the clerical OCCs, but I'm sure someone will chime in with reasons for why they're good.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy the game.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
hisshers

Unread post by hisshers »

My GM and I have rolled up a human Mind Mage. I have always been a caster and the magic rules are what REALLY attracted me to this game. While I understand MM isn't necessarily MAGIC, I still thought the class was cool. I am in the middle of reading the topic on the class being overpowered but please share any thoughts you may have on the original post!

Thanks
-hh
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

hisshers wrote:My GM and I have rolled up a human Mind Mage. I have always been a caster and the magic rules are what REALLY attracted me to this game. While I understand MM isn't necessarily MAGIC, I still thought the class was cool. I am in the middle of reading the topic on the class being overpowered but please share any thoughts you may have on the original post!

Thanks
-hh

I've never bought into the idea that Mind Mages are overpowered. They are very powerful at first level, yes, and could probably take out a great many other first level folks with ease.

That said, they have very low stamina. The high level powers take a lot of ISP, which doesn't come back very fast. Mind Mages are like a quick burning powder - a whole lot of power real fast, but then done and gone in a heartbeat. If you stick with using your less fantastic powers, and save up the heavy hits for when you really really need them, you'll find your Mind Mage serves you and your party quite well for years to come.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”