Physical Perfection

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rc_brooks
Explorer

Physical Perfection

Unread post by rc_brooks »

I was just wondering if there was an errata somewhere for this Talent. All Nightbane start with a base horror factor of 6, but this Talent says due to their perfection they are menacing and grant a base HF of 6. Is this just redundancy or a typo of some fashion?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

CaptRory wrote:My guess would be to nip the arguments in the bud that because they aren't ugly there wouldn't be a HF.

Horror Factor is unrelated to apperance. Dragons can be quite beautiful with PB's going past 30 and they'll STILL have one of the highest Horror Factors.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rc_brooks
Explorer

Unread post by rc_brooks »

I am not making an argument for it, just trying to figure out why they would say that it gives the nightbane a base HF of 6 when all bane start out with a base HF of 6... either its a redundancy or a typo. I am referring to Physical Perfection... a characteristic in the nightbane main book. This isn't an abstract thought I had, its in the description of the characteristic. I would quote it, but I don't think you are supposed to do that one here right?
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

CaptRory wrote:My guess would be to nip the arguments in the bud that because they aren't ugly there wouldn't be a HF.

In a lot of books, there is an Awe factor that acts similar to HF, except not ugg related. A Nightbane could be hideous, or inhumanly beautiful, or weird looking, or just have an undefinable aura of menace, and have the same in-game mechanical effect. I think it's even stated in the Nightbane book itself under the Horror Factor description.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Physical Perfection

Unread post by acreRake »

rc_brooks wrote:I was just wondering if there was an errata somewhere for this Talent. All Nightbane start with a base horror factor of 6, but this Talent says due to their perfection they are menacing and grant a base HF of 6. Is this just redundancy or a typo of some fashion?
The answer is "redundancy". They get no special HF bonus, it's just pointing out that they do have the base of 6 (in case you forgot, i guess)
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Well that explains why young boys have problems approaching those hot cheerleaders in high school, huh?
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Horror Factor is unrelated to apperance. Dragons can be quite beautiful with PB's going past 30 and they'll STILL have one of the highest Horror Factors.

Yes but dragons are a hundred feet long and breathe fire and have a mouth big enough to bite you in half. That's gonna be scary no matter how pretty it looks :)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's a redundancy, fo some reason the books seem to be set up so that you will roll on the beauty table first, so it just repeats your base HF in that table.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

rc_brooks wrote:I was just wondering if there was an errata somewhere for this Talent. All Nightbane start with a base horror factor of 6, but this Talent says due to their perfection they are menacing and grant a base HF of 6. Is this just redundancy or a typo of some fashion?

I would change it to Awe Factor insted of horror factor. Initally they work the same, the char seeing them is stunned. While hte urge with HF is to get away. the urge with AF is to get closer.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would change it to Awe Factor insted of horror factor. Initally they work the same, the char seeing them is stunned. While hte urge with HF is to get away. the urge with AF is to get closer.

I am not sure it would even be that different. I think an Awe factor, even a gorgeous one, would be intimidating as hell.
You know, instead of "If I get near this hideous creature, it'll eat me," it becomes, "If I get near this godlike being, it'll smite me. Or give me a nasty look, making me feel really small."

You might not feel the urge to run, but you are still scared to get close. And if the Nightbane is still supernatural looking in any obvious way, you might still feel the urge to run.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Fight or Flight Response

It's all the same in the end.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Nightbane Physical Perfection

The character projects an aura of Danger that intimidates those around him

Sounds simple to me.
Danger and Intimidation Factor....
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

nightbane are extremly powerful beings and their horror factor
isnt a matter of looks, a man can look at a nightbane in a photograph
and thing man this girl is hot and not be affected by the photograph
but put the same man in the same presense of the nightbane in the
photograph and he will wet his pants? Why?

Nightbane litterally radiate power from the very core of their being
it isnt the aperance that scares people its feeling the shear power
of some one who can rip you into two.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

It's not an aura of power that generates the fear. All so called monsters are based upon things people are afraid of, which is why they are considered monsters. Merging naturally occurring features from different animals that we are afraid of into a sort of freakish being is part of the major theme, while injuries (Stigmata) and physical superiority (Unearthly Beauty) are there due to religion, superstition, and self doubt.

Take a look at some of the most classic monsters such as dragons: The European dragon is a merging of bat, serpent, and feline. Do people fear snakes? Yes. Do people fear bats? Yes. Do people fear big cats? Yup. In the case of a dragon, the monster isn't just a combination of the three animals, it is huge as well! This only serves to make the creature even more frightening then it already is.

Aura? No. Natural response from years of evolution? Yes.

We didn't get to the top of the food chain chasing man eating tigers with stones :x
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
TechnoGothic
Knight

Colt47 wrote: It's not an aura of power that generates the fear. All so called monsters are based upon things people are afraid of, which is why they are considered monsters. Merging naturally occurring features from different animals that we are afraid of into a sort of freakish being is part of the major theme, while injuries (Stigmata) and physical superiority (Unearthly Beauty) are there due to religion, superstition, and self doubt.

Take a look at some of the most classic monsters such as dragons: The European dragon is a merging of bat, serpent, and feline. Do people fear snakes? Yes. Do people fear bats? Yes. Do people fear big cats? Yup. In the case of a dragon, the monster isn't just a combination of the three animals, it is huge as well! This only serves to make the creature even more frightening then it already is.

Aura? No. Natural response from years of evolution? Yes.

We didn't get to the top of the food chain chasing man eating tigers with stones
:x

I'll QUOTE the Book for you AGAIN :

Nightbane Physical Perfection

The character projects an aura of Danger that intimidates those around him

Projects an AURA of DANGER that Inimidates those Around him for Physical Perfection.

One of my Players just rolled up a Random Nightbane and all he got was Physical Perfection.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Well I'd feel pretty intimidated by someone who looked like he could pummel me into a shoe box. :lol: It's the human intuition that is telling the people near the character that he is dangerous. It's the same kind of feeling you get if you've never seen a biker in your life and you just got surrounded by a bunch of em. Anyone would feel intimidated. So it's still not an aura, it's a natural human response.

Basically the description is saying that via the way the characters nightbane form is dressed and due to the professional level of the characters bodies fitness, he looks pretty bad ass.

The only time the horror factor will kick in is once someone realizes that the physically perfect person is actually a supernatural creature that can tear him in two.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the differene between the reation for HF and AF, is that with AF is that the affected will wet themselves with drool, while with HF they will wet themselves elsewhere.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Colt47 wrote:Well I'd feel pretty intimidated by someone who looked like he could pummel me into a shoe box. :lol: It's the human intuition that is telling the people near the character that he is dangerous. It's the same kind of feeling you get if you've never seen a biker in your life and you just got surrounded by a bunch of em. Anyone would feel intimidated. So it's still not an aura, it's a natural human response.

Basically the description is saying that via the way the characters nightbane form is dressed and due to the professional level of the characters bodies fitness, he looks pretty bad ass.

The only time the horror factor will kick in is once someone realizes that the physically perfect person is actually a supernatural creature that can tear him in two.

Its an Aura just like the characteristic says.
It effects even the most Badarse Prison Reject with nearly no fear of any man/woman.

The Nightbane Might be dressed in a nice Suit to hide his "perfect body", but the aura kicks in and people still feel its effects that this dude is Dangerous somehow.

Look at the TV Show "PROFIT". Jim Profit looks pretty normal in a suit. Outside of the suit he was pretty well built.

But it is an Aura Effect...characteristic even says so. So they is no real debat about it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:the differene between the reation for HF and AF, is that with AF is that the affected will wet themselves with drool, while with HF they will wet themselves elsewhere.

Depends. If this "AF" thing is tied to a high Physical Beauty stat, I think folks who see it'll still be wetting themselves elsewhere ;)

Return to “Nightbane®”