ARCHIE III vs The Republicans

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

You are either with us, or against us. So who is us?

ARCHIE
55%
The Republicans
45%

Total votes: 110

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

cornholioprime wrote:Me, too.

HE's the one that I want to run Chi-Town!!

Oh, if you only knew what I know.

Sourcebook 1 ROCKS.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Subjugator wrote:

Sourcebook 1 ROCKS.

/Sub
As long as Prosek and Family aren't the Robotic Clones of Miles Warren whose real last names are Reilly, I'm prepared for almost anything that comes down.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Subjugator

cornholioprime wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

Sourcebook 1 ROCKS.

/Sub
As long as Prosek and Family aren't the Robotic Clones of Miles Warren whose real last names are Reilly, I'm prepared for almost anything that comes down.

Well.

KARL isn't a robot.

I'll say that much.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Subjugator

OK - I have to admit...that last bit was a joke.

/Sub

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

duck-foot wrote:im with the brave little toaster.

Nice reference! ARCHIE wins, the Republicans are toast.

ARCHIE in '08!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

If the repubs come up with a decent magic division then I may have to swtich sides, Archie is even less prepared than the CS for dealing with magic opponents.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

If the Repubs were to manage to free the Sleeping Army then they have a shot. If not then Archie has it.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Thing is the Repubs think Archie is just archie with some old bots at his disposal and some weapons implacements. I didn't do an exact calculation but flipping though the book last night, Archie has over 30,000 bots to call on if he needs them. Bots that never sleep, never rest, never show fear.... The Repubs better be ALOT sneakier than they seem to have a chance to pull this off.

Granted I haven't finished reading the book. *holds up hands* but... so far their plan seems a bit fanciful and based on "If nothing even minutely goes wrong" from beginning to end.

Not to mention all the working gear they have.. was built by Archie and "given" to them when the Big Toaster felt bad... you think Archie didn't put in a switch that he could flip if they ever turned around and tried to rush him again?

"Oh drat, Hagan they've come for me.. again"
"I'll get Earth Saver one warmed up and meet them in battle!!!"
"Oh don't fret. I just hit the override in all their power armor. They're on the ground twitching. Send out a few bots to shoot anyone that struggles out of their armor in the face. Then clean out the corpses and put the armor back in storage."
"Oh.. well... that's rather anticlimatic"
"Well Hagan.. I never said they were SMART."

Now granted that lil example might be simplistic... but come on. If I could think of it. Hopefully archie and Hagan could have.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Thing is, the Archie Bots arn't like the Star wars Droids. They seriously kick butt. You don't roll once for 100 of them. Each one of those 100 gets upwards of 6 to 10 attacks per melee... ect ect ect...

and reading on though the book.

Yeah over the years the Repubs used up their original NEMA gear, and Archie would make some new stuff and "hide" it close to where ever they were (( or close to other humans)) to "FIND" over and over again.

More recently the Repubs have gotten in over the past year and kinda looted Archie's factories and made a good ammount of power armor for themselves... but... while they might have 1000 suits of GB armor.. they have like... 100 pilots (( HORRIBLY Simplified, I know, the book's across the room and I don't want to quote exact numbers least a form admin smite me)) So yeah their new armor likely doesn't have the override switch. But... they're horribly undermanned too.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

the thing about Arche is that he is pontentially one of the more
powerfull beings in north america.
Hes got all of the Shemarians at his beck and call and he is creating
a whole nation of them. Hes got the ability to make a whole lot
of robots, hes got acess to the best tech of the golden age and
mechanoid tecnology. MECHANOID tecnology force feilds and anti
gravity isnt beyond him any more.
Hes the only one on the planit with satalite comunications, hes got
the best intelligence network in north america. Archee is pretty
freaking awsome.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Dracurian wrote:To recap, the front-line ARCHIEE bots are limited to responses programed into them

Not quite.

According to the old SB1, all of Archie's bots are Class 3s/ Robot Intelligences. They can assess data, draw a conclusion, and act on that conclusion within the parameters of their programs. So, while they can't contradict their programming, they can come up with new ways to respond to things that their programmers hadn't foreseen. It's the class 2, robot drones, who can't break their programming even a little.

For example, the Shemarrians, who are robot intelligences, are able to pass the Turing test as spontaneously administered by thousands of people over the past few years (decades)? On the other hand, the skelebots are class 2. They don't vary from their programs, they do only what they are told, and they're incapable of thinking creatively.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Shades of Eternity
Immortal
Location: formerly edmonton, now residing in my own Delusions.

Unread post by Shades of Eternity »

yeah, and arch is pretty much the boogie man of north america.

if he's been supplying them equipment (as previous text indicates), he probably has a better idea what he's up against then the other way around.

and that's assuming the overrides have been overrided.
The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.
- Abraham Lincoln

Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

From what I have read on other posts, most peoples complaints with the siege of Tolkeen seems to be it followed no real world military thinking (I normally only use the real world sparingly), if Sun Tzu is used as a basis for the conflict between ARCHIEE & NEMA then the conflict will hang together much better, & there will be less faults for people to pick at.

Actually it was biased against Tolkeen, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know much about these NEMA/Republicans, but it sounds like that they would have a good chance of taking out that doofus of a toaster. ARCHIE isn't that imaginative otherwise he wouldn't need Hagan. Besdies he needs to go, he keeps messing with my 'boys from Atlantis. :-P :lol:

As much as i'd like to see the CS get elimiated, i don't see the repubs doing thart. They're too fortified. Besides, they have the FoM and the Splugs to worry about and are a bigger threat.

One game i ran had ARCHIE taken out by the mechanoids as they went Borg on him and merged him and HAGAN into the collective. "Resistance was futile." :D
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Archie No Doubt!
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Humanity's salvation should be humanity. I'm rooting for the Republicans.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Hotrod wrote:Humanity's salvation should be humanity. I'm rooting for the Republicans.

Preach it brother! :D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Morrowcale wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Humanity's salvation should be humanity. I'm rooting for the Republicans.

Preach it brother! :D

Hell Yea go boy go!
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Humanity's salvation should be humanity.

Of course, the food/slave source of the various superior races should be allowed to multiply. Supply and demand y'know. 8) :lol:
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Yea Splugorth, and others...

Boo Archie, robots taste bad.
Yea republicans, old food tastes best.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Yea Splugorth, and others...

Boo Archie, robots taste bad.
Yea republicans, old food tastes best.

Glad you put the Splugs at the top slot. :D

As far as the old food thing, i was thinking like very fine wine and a new food never eaten before that adds to the delicacy that is humanity.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

The flesh is weak!
Despise the weak!
Steel is strong!
Through strength we survive!
With survival comes thought!
With thought comes knowledge!
With Knowledge comes power!
From power we grow!
As we grow we increase understanding!
Understanding leads to enlightenment!
With enlightenment comes realisation!
We realise that the universe is one funny place & we laugh, what else you going to do eh?

Pull the plug? :lol:

EMP blast would be usefull too. :D
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Heathen! We realised have selfgenerating methane reactors situated within our abdomin! We need not plugs!

Hmmm.... pierce belly, set interior aflame causing robotic version of intense hearburn...... :lol: Hey it's a hope.

We also wear the holy vestments of superior coppermesh underware that protects us from your primitive EMP devices & looks absolutely stunnings with a pair of shiny black stilleto heals!

Ok, we go from Victoria's secret to A.R.C.H.I.E's Secret? :eek:

I hate to think what the rates are for these robotic call bots.... :P :lol:
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I'm with The Toaster, providing its a four-slicer.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Um.. Is there any info out on the Republicans yet? B/c all I've ever seen is a brief mention/ a dropped name. So... I feel that I can't really vote yet.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

I think I would side with the republicans. I'm not the biggest fan of Archie. He needs to be stopped before it is too late........
Crazy Lou
Hero

Can someone give me a really brief summary of the republicans? Pretty much, their stances politically (human supremacist, etc) and their power level is all I'd like to know.

Also, Dracurian, "God from machine" ??? what ??? What are you talking about, that doesn't really even make sense. I know you're saying you support archie, but... huh?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Crazy Lou
Hero

Ahhh...... Gotcha...... Thanks for the clarification.

Crazy Lou
Hero

... Um... Maybe not... :lol: (with you)

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Dracurian wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:... Um... Maybe not... :lol: (with you)

Your just scared oh leotarded one! :D As I see things that are not there when the imp brings me the next glass.

That's it isn't it. Your scared of imps! :eek:

8-)

Seems you are imbibing again.....more power too you. And for the record. I am changing my answer to the republicans having read the SB1 now. Republicans all the way.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Well, since the Republicans want to overthrow the CS and take over, while ARCHIE is content to play his games and has a general interest in protecting Humanity, I'll side with ARCHIE in this fight. And besides which, if ARCHIE ever finds that cashe of NEMA stuff and such, I'm betting he'd find a way of directing the CS towards it for them to find. I'd help Humanity and have the CS take care of his Republican problem for him. A total Win-Win scenario. :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

It's a tricky situation.

The Republicans are ultimately no better than the CS save in a few ways. In the end them vs the CS specifically I'd support them.

But vs Archie..

Tricky question. Archie could actually do a great deal of good for humanity, and I think once he was exposed to humanity in general, rather than some throw back savages he might well change his opinion.

Bit of a coin toss there.
Shades of Eternity
Immortal
Location: formerly edmonton, now residing in my own Delusions.

Unread post by Shades of Eternity »

still with the toaster :D
The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.
- Abraham Lincoln

oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

I vote Republicans!

I support my fellow man. To allow a machine to rule over man is unthinkable!

I see one possible future if ruled by ARCHIE in a alternate reality called Splicers. ARCHIE is already crazy. He may develope split personalities due to his detoriation in his programming.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I'm still siding with the brave little toaster
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
oni no won
Explorer

Dracurian wrote:We let machines rule over us in the real world now. Money is stuck into your bank account by computer, Interest on debts is calculated by a computer which also notes when & what you paid. We recieve bank statements & debt statements via an automated machine, & just try in this day & age to prove your actually you when a computer says you are not. 8-)

Being dependent on machines and allowing a machine to make decisions about our future are two different things.
oni no won
Explorer

OK, let me put it in another way...

Machines work for us NOT the other way around.

We dictate a machine's function. Machines don't dictate our actions. They may give us vital iformations but ultimately we have the final say in how we interpret the data and the course of action we will take.
Jack Daniels
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jack Daniels »

Dracurian wrote:Robotic troops might have a slight strategic advantage as has been mentioned else ware, they need no sleep/food/water, the advantage is only slight as human troops can live off the land & heal, & the big plus, human troops do not need to use mecha to be effective (though it certainly makes it alot easier).

Actually, not needing sleep, food, or water is pretty much the biggest strategic advantage I can think of outside of being totally omniscient in regards to your opponents every thought. It is very difficult for any decent number of people to live off the land and it takes a significant amount of time and effort to do so. It would be even harder to do it in an area where there are not very many farms or orchards or what have you that can be plundered. Ever consider trying to feed an army on nuts and berries gathered along the way? Read some military histories to find out how important sleep, food and water are strategically.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

oni no won wrote:OK, let me put it in another way...

We dictate a machine's function. Machines don't dictate our actions. They may give us vital iformations but ultimately we have the final say in how we interpret the data and the course of action we will take.

Are you SURE?
Maybe we elect machines every four years. Ever notice how Algore moves, for instance?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Vrykolas2k wrote:

Are you SURE?
Maybe we elect machines every four years. Ever notice how Algore moves, for instance?
Wow, so you admit that he was elected? That's very big of you. :P
:fool:
Crazy Lou
Hero

Dracurian wrote:Excellent!!!! this is turning into a phylisophical/conspiracy argument...er..discussion. Have not had a good one in a long time!!!! :D

Do you dictate the function of your ATM? or do you rely on the unseen programers to do it for you? Is every computer operator able to dictate what the computer does? If so why do programs crash or unexpected code turn up that can not be explained except as program fragments? & if they're program fragments, why do the programs still work to create more fragments?

The early computer pioneers used the term ghost-in-the-machine for these unexplained occurances. Isaac Asimov was the first to make it publicly known (although Ray Bradbury also did so, he's just not as well known). Speaking as someone who vanishes from databases quite regularly, I am thinking that perhaps, given enough time, computers start developing rudimentry Intelligence (that could be why computers become obsolete so quickly, the industry trying to prevent it) if not sentience.
If we are going to be ruled by a machine, let it be a machine we can have a conversation with!

Jack Daniels wrote:Actually, not needing sleep, food, or water is pretty much the biggest strategic advantage I can think of outside of being totally omniscient in regards to your opponents every thought. It is very difficult for any decent number of people to live off the land and it takes a significant amount of time and effort to do so. It would be even harder to do it in an area where there are not very many farms or orchards or what have you that can be plundered. Ever consider trying to feed an army on nuts and berries gathered along the way? Read some military histories to find out how important sleep, food and water are strategically.

I said it was slight, as humanity has the greater advantage of adaptability. Humans can survive in climates & conditions that would prove problematic for robots, for example: tropical mangrove swamps (high humidity, highly corrosive), deserts (look what sand blasting does to metal, not to mention the grit getting into joints), & while humans need sleep, food & water, we are also extremely adaptable with regards to types of food we can eat. Hot curries are an excellent example, the more you eat the hotter curry can be eaten, as are bush tucker.

Humanity also heals, something mechanicals can not do, so they need supply lines as well, for parts (plating, lubricants, seals) from their factories, robots also have the limitation of not being able to quickly switch between different factories (try puting a starter motor from a three cylinder Daewoo into a V8 ford), where as humans can quickly change from rice to wheat to meat etc.

So all up, not having to eat, sleep, etc pans out as not being a large strategic advantage, but it is still an advantage none the less.

8-)

First off, I want to say I think it's funny that you're arguing that machines are possibly our masters and at the same time that humans are probably better b/c they can adapt and heal.

Secondly, I say that humans rule machines still b/c while we can't always make them do exactly what we want, we have congnitive intelligence that tells us we want to exert control over the machine, while it's just malfuncioning due to an error made in the programming, or because of a virus written by a human. The human error or other intention is the source of the problem not something cooked up by a mischevious AI within the machine to give us inferior humans a hard time (unless a rudimentary AI was put into the code to actively try to block stuff attempted by the operator -- which would've been put there by a mischevious human).

The second paragraph is silly and not worth my time since there's no support behind it... :D

oni no won
Explorer

Dracurian wrote:Do you dictate the function of your ATM? or do you rely on the unseen programers to do it for you? Is every computer operator able to dictate what the computer does? If so why do programs crash or unexpected code turn up that can not be explained except as program fragments? & if they're program fragments, why do the programs still work to create more fragments?

I don't follow your line of reasoning. You argued that machines already rule us. I countered that there was a difference between being ruled and being dependent. Maybe it is just that our definition of the verb "rule" is not in sync. In this case I'm using the term in the sense of exercising authority or power over. Your definition is more in line with dependency.

Using your analogy of ATMs, in the end ATMs still serve our need for convenience in getting our cash quickly. Does that mean it has power over us? Does it mean we are totally dependent on ATMs? If an ATM malfunctions or it is outside it's parameters to give us what we want, who do we turn to? A person of course. We meet with a bank personnel.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Are you SURE?

He was nrver elected.
I was simply pointing out he was malfunctioning, even for a politician. Dangling chads don't count, no matter how much you shake them or how many of the dead vote...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Jack Daniels
Dungeon Crawler

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Are you SURE?

He was nrver elected.
I was simply pointing out he was malfunctioning, even for a politician. Dangling chads don't count, no matter how much you shake them or how many of the dead vote...

If you look at the structure of the sentences that compose the thought, it does indeed look as though you were admitting he was elected. Good thing you're not a politician or a 'mistake' like this would be picked up and run with by that pesky librulmedia and nobody would ever pay any attention to any important topic you ever said anything about ever again. You'd just be "the guy who said Algore won." Good thing you're not a politician.

Crazy Lou wrote:
Jack Daniels wrote:Actually, not needing sleep, food, or water is pretty much the biggest strategic advantage I can think of outside of being totally omniscient in regards to your opponents every thought. It is very difficult for any decent number of people to live off the land and it takes a significant amount of time and effort to do so. It would be even harder to do it in an area where there are not very many farms or orchards or what have you that can be plundered. Ever consider trying to feed an army on nuts and berries gathered along the way? Read some military histories to find out how important sleep, food and water are strategically.

I said it was slight, as humanity has the greater advantage of adaptability. Humans can survive in climates & conditions that would prove problematic for robots, for example: tropical mangrove swamps (high humidity, highly corrosive), deserts (look what sand blasting does to metal, not to mention the grit getting into joints), & while humans need sleep, food & water, we are also extremely adaptable with regards to types of food we can eat. Hot curries are an excellent example, the more you eat the hotter curry can be eaten, as are bush tucker.

Humanity also heals, something mechanicals can not do, so they need supply lines as well, for parts (plating, lubricants, seals) from their factories, robots also have the limitation of not being able to quickly switch between different factories (try puting a starter motor from a three cylinder Daewoo into a V8 ford), where as humans can quickly change from rice to wheat to meat etc.

So all up, not having to eat, sleep, etc pans out as not being a large strategic advantage, but it is still an advantage none the less.

I disagree. Machines at the level of ARCHIE's robots can function in a much greater array of terrains than humans can. In your examples the humans have serious issues with heat in deserts that don't apply to machines and in mangrove swamps the humidity would be debilitating to human troops, not to mention the swarms of insects that the robots would have no trouble with and the possibility of drowning under a heavy pack of gear and body armor that is not a concern for robots. The one disadvantage I can see robots having is that according to Sourcebook 1 they tend to be heavier than a human would be even when carrying full gear. So they might get stuck in swampy conditions easier, but they are also much stronger and so could more likely free themselves and they don't breath, so who cares if they fall into the quicksand and sink, they have 10 years to get themselves out or wait for their robot buddies to help them out.
As far as healing goes, humans do it so slowly and incompletely that it's difficult to consider it an advantage. Feeling pain and getting hurt is a strategic disadvantage in certain situations it prevents you from moving as you would like to. Of course there is going to be a supply train for a robot army, but without needing to carry food, water, or bedding it is going to be much smaller than the supply train for any equivalent human army.

Dang, I'm sure I had more points to make that I thought were good but I've got to run off to work. . .
oni no won
Explorer

Just for fun:

If we spoke emoticon:

You: :idea: :arrow: :ugh:

Me: :P :D

OK, enough silliness and acting immature. I return you back to the topic of this thread...
Jack Daniels
Dungeon Crawler

Dracurian wrote:Well I am embarrased :oops:

I had my argument all planned but now I have forgotten where it was going. Bugga. I'll have to conceed, let's just put it down to cultural differences & leave it at that.

Bit disapointed really, been so long since I had a good argument I've forgotten how to do it. :-( :-( :-( :-(

8-)

I was thinking of it as more of a debate than an argument. :) I'm disappointed also.

Return to “Rifts®”