A quick Question I need help with.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: A quick Question I need help with.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Ninjabunny wrote:Techno-can HOW can it be a Langauge if you can't speak IT? It's a spoken Langauge in Phase World, Techno-hounds (Sub-class of the headhunter in world book 20.) Gets it as a spoken Langauge and Can read it, but R;Ue states It can't be spoken! Help me out here How is this possible? :x
it's a language of tech journals and computers much like L337 sp34k is use on the internet
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

It is the alternitives, Slang and terms used by Hackers, Techheads and such individuals.

The Read part allows hackers to read and interperet Code...like in the Matrix,

I have a related Question. Would Techno-can be on one language like English or could you use it to read a computer that was in foriegn language? as in put the comop to code then read it?

Like that hacker did in that movie "the Core" who claimed he could read any language with computer code....
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Just an oversight. Don't sweat it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

My guess is it's a combination of what we would call 'hacker-speak', using the phonetic sounds of L33t-sp34k, computer terminology & anagram words such as;

WYSIWYG: "wizzy-wig"
LOL: "lah-ul"
ROFL: "Roff-ull" (rhymes with 'awful')

with a large amount of Cyberpunk-ese for flavor.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Long Shadow
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Long Shadow »

Being a technologist, I can understand a language coming out of technical terms. A friend of mine use to add "plus plus' to demonstrate that something was very good, and terms such as 'null' and 'I/O' always seems to slip into non-technical conversation.
Jmur
Wanderer

Re: A quick Question I need help with.

Unread post by Jmur »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:Techno-can HOW can it be a Langauge if you can't speak IT? It's a spoken Langauge in Phase World, Techno-hounds (Sub-class of the headhunter in world book 20.) Gets it as a spoken Langauge and Can read it, but R;Ue states It can't be spoken! Help me out here How is this possible? :x
it's a language of tech journals and computers much like L337 sp34k is use on the internet

But Phase World States its one of the major spoken tounges. Thats where it gets me.

Either the update of R:UE has changed that it is non-spoken, or it is a typo in R:UE.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

could you use it to read a computer that was in foriegn language? as in put the comop to code then read it? Like that hacker did in that movie "the Core" who claimed he couls read any language with computer code....

If I remember correctly, it was created to be a universal computer language in Pre-Rifts Earth, meaning all computers from North America to Europe to Asia would all speak the same language. It would make it easier for multinational corperations to communicate between divisions, one of which may be in Vancouver, another in Japan and a third in Russia. True the users in each country would have programs to convert Techno-Can into their respective languages for layman users.

Since nearly all pre-Rift computers used this single language to communicate with each other, it stands to reason that when those systems were retro-engineered by various people around the world, they would have kept the language. Think of it more as the operating system of all computers before the Rifts, and you'll get the general gist of what I belive they intended this language to be.

As for whether this should be allowed as a spoken language, it's your call. Personally, given its focus and technical nature, I don't see it having much practicle use as a spoken language. For example, you can't ask where the washrooms are since computers had no need for such teminology. Other basic concepts we take for granted just wouldn't apply to a language created specificly for computers. At least that's how I see things.

Return to “Rifts®”