Midnight Wind in Rifts

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would You Make the Damage for Midnight Wind to be MDC in Rifts?

Yes
50%
No
17%
What are you on?
33%

Total votes: 12

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Midnight Wind in Rifts

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Atramentus wrote:I wanted to ask everybody what damage they think the Nightbane spell Midnight Wind would do in Rifts? Would it somehow freakily do MDC? This isn't you're average wind spell, the sky actually darkens, lights in the immediate area dim, and the temperature drops a whopping 15 degrees Fahrenheit in the area too.

maybe. imagine a wind so freezing mortals will suddenly ice up. however, for the sake of fairness, i'd give them a chance to be medically thawed--like a Cyrogenic revival, sinse it would freeze their entire bodies so suddenly :)

In the more fair alternative, you could say the magical cold does SDC to SDC and MDC to MDC

Here's an idea that occurred to me and I'm dying to use it. Summon a Shadow Beast, take it out wherever to attack my enemies during the day and when the enemy gets all cocky, cast Midnight Wind and give the Shadow Beast its edge back. :demon:

Awsome :ok:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Voted option three....to K.I.S.S it would do SD to SDC/HP and MD to MDC.

otherwise the effects are the same, no matter what setting the spell was cast.

May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

As someone who has worked on a loading dock in winter i can tell you that 15 degrees drop in temp. instantly would cause mild burns not flash freeze. On exposed skin any way.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
fidgewinkle wrote:I don't have a problem with converting SDC in a spell to MDC in Rifts. However, 15 degrees Fahrenheit is not "whopping" by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree.

well, possibly you could combine that with the wind-chill to get something a bit more dramatic.

however, in Rifts a good majority of the characters (pc or npc) are likely to be in armor, possibly EBA, especially if you're the mage and are up against CS forces.

So a little wind isn't going to mean much.

It seems like it's more of an effect spell more so than a "I'm the all-powerful mage, fear me!" type of crap.

To be fair, Midnight Wind was created for and only printed in Nightbane, a game where EBA dosn't even exsist and no one really has much protection from cold. 15 degrees farigent is quite bad if your wearing jeans and a t-shirt :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:To be fair, Midnight Wind was created for and only printed in Nightbane, a game where EBA dosn't even exsist and no one really has much protection from cold. 15 degrees farigent is quite bad if your wearing jeans and a t-shirt :P

yeah, no kidding, isn't that what I said ?

maybe the result, but not the context. You spoke as if you were putting the spell down or downplaying it's effectiveness, when in actuality it was highly effective in the setting it orignated in.

I believe the Rifts version is called: Wind Rush (minus the special effects)

No, Nightbane had Wind Rush too, and it's a higher level spell. Wind Rush has a much higher knockdown factor.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

fidgewinkle wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
gadrin wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
To be fair, Midnight Wind was created for and only printed in Nightbane, a game where EBA dosn't even exsist and no one really has much protection from cold. 15 degrees farigent is quite bad if your wearing jeans and a t-shirt :P

yeah, no kidding, isn't that what I said ?

maybe the result, but not the context. You spoke as if you were putting the spell down or downplaying it's effectiveness, when in actuality it was highly effective in the setting it orignated in.

I believe the Rifts version is called: Wind Rush (minus the special effects)

No, Nightbane had Wind Rush too, and it's a higher level spell. Wind Rush has a much higher knockdown factor.

You clearly haven't played sports outside in the cold before, or have forgotten the experience when considering this situation. Fifteen degrees Fahrenheit is insignificant when one is engaged in physical exertion. Even if physical exertion isn't occurring, it takes a whole lot longer than a few seconds for there to be any effect. Most people go around with less clothing than is necessary on cold days, because they are going to be outside for only a short time and it takes a while for the cold to affect them, even when it is being driven by a stiff wind. It is at most a bit uncomfortable, certainly not enough to do damage in a short period of time.

The level of your support for the effectiveness of this spell make me wonder if there is a difference in what we think is going on. An earlier post stated that the temperature drops by fifteen degrees. I take that as meaning subtract fifteen degrees from the current temperature. It could be that the actual spell states that the surrounding temperature becomes fifteen Fahrenheit, which is more substantial, but still not enough to seriously affect someone in such a short period of time.

I want to know where you got the "short period of time" from. I never desingated any length of time.

Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

I have to put my $.02 in here. The temp is a moot point, its the wind and damage that has to be taken into account. (side note: on a calm day/night I can stand bare foot outside with the temp hanging around 0 F. in just shorts w/ no shirt, I like the cold, add a slight breeze however and it cuts me like a hot knife through butter, a cold breeze even if the temp is in the 80's is uncomfortable/painful). From what I have read the spell uses wind as its main attack. The force of the wind knocks objects over AND inflicts the damage. I agree SD to SD and MD to MD don't change the base die code. HOWEVER: I feel that in the environment of Rifts Earth the spell given its affect on the local lighting should have a HF added to it say 12 to 14.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:maybe the result, but not the context. You spoke as if you were putting the spell down or downplaying it's effectiveness, when in actuality it was highly effective in the setting it orignated in.

no it's just that PB is all over the map when it comes to knockdown.

they don't retro-fit game mechanics when they introduce something new, they just make it work for that instance. they started down one path with Midnight Wind, I assume it didn't make it into Rifts because of a different set of knockdown rules (like those in Wind Rush). The Rifts GMG has yet more and different. PB often doesn't tell you why, they just do it.

jeez, with as much PB-posting you do that should be obvious to you by now, or are you just pretending that it doesn't happen ? :lol:

you must fall into the "palladiumb can do no wrong" self-deluding crowd.

Oh, sure they can mess up. I've stated my low opinions of several such changes in the past.

But i'm also not of the opinion they need to keep everything the same from one setting to another like some deulional crowds here ;)

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

I voted "No" to make the spell MD, partially because it has that lovely knock-down feature. Mostly because I have a hard time believing a hurricane force wind can inflict MD. I live in FLA and have never seen a wind push a pebble along at rail gun speeds, even when I have seen them level towns (all SDC structures, obviously :))

Cool spell though, I may have to incorporate it into a TW rifle or cannon.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”