Rifts Ultimate Edition Errata

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

Thats right, its me again. just checking in.

Let me guess, still nothing? last checked may 17th, 2007.

Its now June 10th. I hope by now there is some news on when the already typed errata will be released? and why cant the already typed document just be posted like the ones for Chaos Earth????

:ugh:

Sigh.... :(
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

good one :ok: haha
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:Dark Brandon imo you are missing the point. I should not have to keep pestering PB for the errata. They should be posting it without even being asked end of story. On top of that we were promised that it would have been released with the second printing of RUE.

Releasing errata for books is what smart gaming companies do. The silence from the company on this issue imo speaks volumes. There is no attempt to improve on any issue. RUE is a flagship product and should be treated as such. I have a feeling the errata will appear by sheer coincidence of course a few more printings of RUE down the line.

Don't mistake the fans silence on this issue with them being happy. Imo they are so used to it that they just don't bother to mention anything. They could head off a lot of criticism on this issue with at least telling us why it's taking so long.

Very much agreed!

I've been hanging around since RUE was released...

Maybe we, the Fans, need to start making our own Errata's on these forums, and say just say "This is the official errata, why? Because PB is too lazy to even come on the forum and sign off on it..." Jeeeeeeze.

Even with PB in dire straits, they miss the bucket again with the Fans.

I know MANY MANY (we are talking every single person I've ever known that has played rifts - and they DON'T visit these forums) who want to see a proper errata!!! :x

There should be a great big link on the MAIN PB.com home page that links you to this errata. AND it should be in every issue of the Rifter until the main RUE book is updated.

I will second the fact: If there is no Errata, I'm not buying anymore books.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

AND it should be in every issue of the Rifter until the main RUE book is updated.

Just a point of fact, if you say ridiculous things like this, people aren't going to take you seriously.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Phadeout wrote:I know MANY MANY (we are talking every single person I've ever known that has played rifts - and they DON'T visit these forums) who want to see a proper errata!!! :x

It's the opposite with me. No one I know IRL cares if there's an errata or not. Go figure...

I will second the fact: If there is no Errata, I'm not buying anymore books.

Noted.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Phadeout
Explorer

Jason Richards wrote:
AND it should be in every issue of the Rifter until the main RUE book is updated.

Just a point of fact, if you say ridiculous things like this, people aren't going to take you seriously.

Well, I guess that it "would" depend on how big the said errata is. I was thinking of 1 or 2 pages at size 8 font. But, if it's like 10 pages, then, you win 8-)
Phadeout

Jason Richards

Phadeout wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:

Well, I guess that it "would" depend on how big the said errata is. I was thinking of 1 or 2 pages at size 8 font. But, if it's like 10 pages, then, you win 8-)

That's only part of it.

1. Generally speaking, the "errata" has already been included in a new printing. So your demand has been met already, Spartacus.
2. Even if there is other stuff that needs to be edited, they can't produce a new printing until the current one sells out. What do you want them to do, throw them all away?
3. Distributing it in the Rifter, much less every Rifter, doesn't make any sense. Why take even a couple of pages to do this? What audience are you trying to reach? And this should go on for years?

Not to snap, but it's nonsensical to make the sort of statements that you made. I'm not sure you've thought it through.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Phadeout
Explorer

EPIC wrote:the errata was never published (though it has been compiled and written months ago) ... so the only way to get the errata is to buy another copy of the RUE and even then you won't know what they changed without a close comparison to the 1st printing. which is i suppose what they expect of their fans :nh:

I don't know if I'm right or wrong here, but from what I remember reading, the 2nd Printing of RUE does not contain all the errata, just a few fixes (like, I'm guessing the Cyborg OCC format goof).

If all the Errata was in the book, then I'm sure someone would have said "Hey, it's been released!"

Maybe I'm over reacting to the Errata thing, but I've worked closely with 2 other rpg makers (Fantasy Flight Games and their Midnight d20 Line as well as Troll Lord Games and their C&C line) Don't believe me? Pick up a 2nd Edition Midnight main book, and you'll find my name in there - you can't miss it, since it's my real name with the word "Phadeout" in the middle.

Errata should be high priority, with 90% of the errata collected off their forum members and compiled, it sure makes it easy. This is normally released within 4 months of their book release.

And TLG is A LOT smaller than even Palladium, and A LOT newer, so don't go saying these are big companies. These companies, do have a very close relationship with their fans, and both listen closely to them (only reason the 2 companies have been very successful with RPGs).

One thing I can say for sure, Errata makes people rejoice - at least those that would come on the internet in the first place to "nag" about it like me :shock:

Want happy internet reviews? Want a happy Internet community (which, I have to say, should be your #1 priority, due to the transfer of information that the Net allows).

Easy, get an Errata out as fast as you can! It's worked for TLG, it's worked wonders... People jump up and down in glee to see a company really care about fixing their goofs or to "officially" answer anything that seems unclear to the gamers.
Phadeout

Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

First of all, Fantasy Flight Games makes some good product.. :) I own a couple of their board games. good quality :) Hard on the pocket book, but good quality.

Second of all, I have not been able to get very many games of Rifts together since I bought the R:UE. I am all pumped about the product. And the players who i have waiting in the wings to play are all pumped. But there are several issues that i want to cleared up *errata* wise before I start.

I hate the times when a player says.. "it dont say that in the rules!?" and me or any other GM says "no, but i read it on the boards its going to be in the errata tho, but its not released yet" It breaks the game down and reduces it to made up house rules till its released. I know house rules are needed every now and again. thats fine, but if the errata "HAS" been developed. Then why not release it?

I wouldnt mind so much if someone from PB actually said we have it, but we are NOT going to release it, so get use to it. Other then, we have it but we are waiting to release it.. over and over again, and its worse still when its not even the powers that be who make those comments?

I guess, I just dont want to get a group of people use to one set of rules we had to make up, and then have to change it again when the errata has been released.

I am a person who likes using the rules produced to play a game, if i have to make up my own rules, I might as well make up my own game. And thats not what I want to do with Rifts, nor get the players who i want to get into rifts used to either.

I just want to see the product support that was stated to be coming out when i enquired about getting R:UE months ago.

And I guess what really bothers me, cause i have yet to get a answer back about posting it like they did for Chaos Earth in the Fourms. Only thing i got back was, I will ask. And then silence.. always silence

Sad for me, thats all. :ugh:
Phadeout
Explorer

Shotgun Jolly wrote:First of all, Fantasy Flight Games makes some good product.. :) I own a couple of their board games. good quality :) Hard on the pocket book, but good quality.

Second of all, I have not been able to get very many games of Rifts together since I bought the R:UE. I am all pumped about the product. And the players who i have waiting in the wings to play are all pumped. But there are several issues that i want to cleared up *errata* wise before I start.

I hate the times when a player says.. "it dont say that in the rules!?" and me or any other GM says "no, but i read it on the boards its going to be in the errata tho, but its not released yet" It breaks the game down and reduces it to made up house rules till its released. I know house rules are needed every now and again. thats fine, but if the errata "HAS" been developed. Then why not release it?

I wouldnt mind so much if someone from PB actually said we have it, but we are NOT going to release it, so get use to it. Other then, we have it but we are waiting to release it.. over and over again, and its worse still when its not even the powers that be who make those comments?

I guess, I just dont want to get a group of people use to one set of rules we had to make up, and then have to change it again when the errata has been released.

I am a person who likes using the rules produced to play a game, if i have to make up my own rules, I might as well make up my own game. And thats not what I want to do with Rifts, nor get the players who i want to get into rifts used to either.

I just want to see the product support that was stated to be coming out when i enquired about getting R:UE months ago.

And I guess what really bothers me, cause i have yet to get a answer back about posting it like they did for Chaos Earth in the Fourms. Only thing i got back was, I will ask. And then silence.. always silence

Thank you. You said what I wanted to say, just with a lot less :x

I can't see why they can't just TAKE the errata they have (someone!!!) and just post it on the Forums calling it "Unofficial". This is what we did on the TLG and Midnight forums until the companies posted the "Official" one on their websites.

This would take how much time out of someone's day?!? About as much time as it takes to make One Forum Post.
Phadeout

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Phadeout wrote:
Shotgun Jolly wrote:First of all, Fantasy Flight Games makes some good product.. :) I own a couple of their board games. good quality :) Hard on the pocket book, but good quality.

Thank you. You said what I wanted to say, just with a lot less :x

I can't see why they can't just TAKE the errata they have (someone!!!) and just post it on the Forums calling it "Unofficial". This is what we did on the TLG and Midnight forums until the companies posted the "Official" one on their websites.

This would take how much time out of someone's day?!? About as much time as it takes to make One Forum Post.

Agreed and seconded.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Sureshot
Champion

Jason Richards wrote:1. Generally speaking, the "errata" has already been included in a new printing. So your demand has been met already, Spartacus.

Telling me to buy another copy of a product I already own to get the errata is in no way "meeting the demand". Posting the errata will.

Jason Richards wrote:2. Even if there is other stuff that needs to be edited, they can't produce a new printing until the current one sells out. What do you want them to do, throw them all away?

The book should have gone through a better editing process then. The smart consumer is probably not going to buy the book and wait for the corrected printing to come out. So either way books will not move imo.

Jason Richards wrote:3. Distributing it in the Rifter, much less every Rifter, doesn't make any sense. Why take even a couple of pages to do this? What audience are you trying to reach? And this should go on for years?

Not every Rifter maybe 2-3 issues. I don't think it's too much to ask. After all it was PB responsibility as a company to produce a product that is error free as possible. They were unable to do that now it's up to them to fix it.

I just don't get why this is such a difficult thing for PB to do. It's been almost 2 years since RUE came out.
Last edited by Sureshot on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Phadeout
Explorer

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:I just don't get why this is such a difficult thinkg for PB to do. It's been almost 2 years since RUE came out.

You know, if FFG or TLG (who both have much smaller RPGs than Palladium) waited 2 years to come up with Errata, they would have lost a lot of gamers.
This IS and HAS been happening to palladium since... oh.. the release of World Book 6.

Within 2 years, both FFG and TLG had 2nd Editions of their products out. Re-edited, updated, fully fleshed out updates, with a lot of Internet Forum User suggestions met! And, within 4 months of any release have an Errata. If it wasn't for this, both these companies would be in the same shoes as Palladium - with a lot of gamers who balk at the sore excuse for rules. You can say I'm wrong, but a lot of gamers that were in love with these companies games from the start, are STILL customers. I can't say the same for Palladium.

I think that Palladium should stop focusing on releasing new stuff, and fix what they have. That will keep people around longer than continually hashing out more and more and more material.

Well, I'm done ranting... No point in beating my head against a wall.

Back to the Rifts forum for some constructive talk with fellow gamers who love Rifts...
Phadeout

verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Not really in the mood to rant, but, if RIFTs is PB's big-ticket line, selling the most and whatnot, why don't they care about it?

I mean, KS has said that his baby is PF, and yet, where are the PF books? The vast majority are RIFTs, and thats because they sell like hot cakes. I get that, and I totally agree. But when you produce an Ultimate Edition that is full of mistakes, and I don't just mean the 'normal. PB mistakes in every book", enough of them that there is a huge need of Erata and it is just sitting on someone's desk instead og being placed on the Cutting Room Floor, really shows how much KS really cares about RIFTs.

If PB produced a PF Ultimate Edition and needed to get the Erata out, I can only assume that it would take much less than over 2 years since PF is KS baby. The fact that no Erata yet has come out for R:UE, shows that KS just really doesnt care too much about that line except for the amount of product that they sell.

Now, I am not bashing, dont get me wrong, I love PB's products and I am sure everyone at PB does also. I am just saying that if they truly cared for the RIFTs line and thought of it as they thought of PB, their baby in other words, I very much so doubt that they would take over 2 years to fix their mistakes.
Sureshot
Champion

I just find it ironic that they went out of their way on the art book a product Kevin himself states that distributors themselves are not that interested in yet simple errata on their flagship line seems to be beyond them at the moment.

Before anyone tries to say "Wotc is just as bad" or some other company here is a list of Wotc errata: http://shortify.com/4795 . At least they have some errata.

Enlightened Grognard

Jason Richards

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:1. Generally speaking, the "errata" has already been included in a new printing. So your demand has been met already, Spartacus.

Telling me to buy another copy of a product I already own to get the errata is in no way "meeting the demand". Posting the errata will.

Did you read his post? I didn't tell him to buy another copy and that would be the solution. He said he wouldn't buy until a corrected edition was printed, which it already has been.

Jason Richards wrote:2. Even if there is other stuff that needs to be edited, they can't produce a new printing until the current one sells out. What do you want them to do, throw them all away?

The book should have gone through a better editing process then. The smart consumer is probably not going to buy the book and wait for the corrected printing to come out. So either way books will not move imo.

I haven't done a page-by-page of the new printing to see what is there and what isn't, but the major errors I know have been corrected. I'm sure that there are typos and that sort of thing still there that were either missed or were not worth the cost of reshooting the page, but none of them have any impact on gameplay whatsoever. Are there still errata-worthy busts in the second printing?

Jason Richards wrote:3. Distributing it in the Rifter, much less every Rifter, doesn't make any sense. Why take even a couple of pages to do this? What audience are you trying to reach? And this should go on for years?

Not every Rifter maybe 2-3 issues. I don't think it's too much to ask. After all it was PB responsibility as a company to produce a product that is error free as possible. They were unable to do that now it's up to them to fix it.

Again, maybe that would be a good idea (well, I don't know why you'd print it in more than one copy... what's the point of that?), but he demanded it be printed in every issue until a new printing came out, which could be years. That made no sense.

I just don't get why this is such a difficult thing for PB to do. It's been almost 2 years since RUE came out.

I don't either. But again, aren't you at this point complaining for the sake of complaining? The edits made to the second printing (i.e. "the errata") are all right here in this thread, right? If that were your chief concern, I'd think you would have red-marked your RUE over a year ago. Not saying Palladium should allow this to replace an official errata, but when it gets published it won't give you anything more than what is already available to you.

Sureshot
Champion

Jason Richards wrote:I haven't done a page-by-page of the new printing to see what is there and what isn't, but the major errors I know have been corrected. I'm sure that there are typos and that sort of thing still there that were either missed or were not worth the cost of reshooting the page, but none of them have any impact on gameplay whatsoever. Are there still errata-worthy busts in the second printing?

Their should have been a minimal amount of errors in the first place. I understand that errors happen but imo it's unexcusable in a flagship product that is intended to get both old and new fans back into the game.
As for differances I can't say for sure as I don;t have the second printing. Even if I did I not going to scan thorugh all the pages in this thread. Give me the official errata that I can download or look at then I will do so.

Jason Richards wrote:Again, maybe that would be a good idea (well, I don't know why you'd print it in more than one copy... what's the point of that?), but he demanded it be printed in every issue until a new printing came out, which could be years. That made no sense.

Your are right on this point one issue of the Rifter and a downloadable version at the same time. That way one os not forced to buy the Rifter to get the errata.

Jason Richards wrote:I don't either. But again, aren't you at this point complaining for the sake of complaining?

If I was complaining for no reason I could understand this statement. I have a right to complain when the errata promised two years ago shows no signs of ever showing up. If that's not a valid reason than I don't know what is. I'm not sure what you are trying to start by posting this statement in the first place.

Jason Richards wrote:The edits made to the second printing (i.e. "the errata") are all right here in this thread, right? If that were your chief concern, I'd think you would have red-marked your RUE over a year ago.

As I have said before I have absolutely no intention of going through this entire thread to get errata because PB is unable or unwilling to provide the errata. It's your responsability as a company to provide. I and other fans should not have to be asking for it over and over again. Stop trying to pass the buck on this issue to us.

Jason Richards wrote:Not saying Palladium should allow this to replace an official errata, but when it gets published it won't give you anything more than what is already available to you.

I like gaming products as error free as possible. I bought myself a new copy of SR4 because I found that there were too many errors in the book. I bought a corrected copy of SR4 after seeing how much official errata they had in the first printing. The only way for me to get the errata is to buy a new copy of RUE. My LGS now carries the second priniting. I'm not wasting another 30 dollars or so on the same book I have. If I do you can bet it's going to be mentioned if I ever review RUE. Plus having a corrected copy of RUE will just reduce any potential rules problems that might occur because of an error in the first printing.

I ask again why is having the errata posted such a difficult concept to accept and understand?

Enlightened Grognard

Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

My biggest problem with all of this is that the errata HAS been done.

The key word to that is 'has'.. its out there, its typed up, its ready to rock and roll. And for some reason, unknown to ANY of us. Its being delayed.

I have asked many many times, if its typed up and ready why cant it be released like the Chaos Earth book errata?? WHY?

And to say that the point of this thread is for just complaining, thats a slap in the face to me. I am a customer, I buy the product because I like it, its a good game. I "hate" having to explain to anyone the rules with out having the offical rules to back it up. I have been trying to avoid this thread (the past few months) like one would avoid a sick, runny nosed, 6 year old with chicken pox.

And to say its all here in this thread, when did this thread or any other thread be considered Offical? At least with the Chaos Earth, its errata written by one person, who has backing with PB, its posted all in one place. And it says its not offical, but its pretty darn close to being offical. That was something i could present to my players and say "here is the beta version of the rules. Dont get to use to them, something may change." Least that is something, I ask again, why can that not be the case for R:UE?

I am doing my best not to sound rude, and to leave my personal feelings out of it, and just ask direct questions, keeping it to the point regarding the errata...

I am not here to complain, I am here to ask for errata...

If an offical person came to this post, and said, 'its going to be released with the other PDF's we have in the pipe line. But we really dont know when thats going to be'.. at least thats an answer i can accept. Not, well we are waiting on SO and SO to make a few changes...

And for the record. I do NOT have the money to buy another copy of R:UE.

Thats it for me on this thread again for another month.. I hope. :ugh:

Regards
SGJR
Sureshot
Champion

Shotgun Jolly wrote:The key word to that is 'has'.. its out there, its typed up, its ready to rock and roll. And for some reason, unknown to ANY of us. Its being delayed.

I have asked many many times, if its typed up and ready why cant it be released like the Chaos Earth book errata?? WHY?

I would like the know the reason myself. My guess would that posting the errata would mean less books being sold. But you know what that`s too bad. The book should have been delayed for a few weeks to get the editing done properly. Considering how well RUE was received the extra time would probably not have hurt sales that much.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:And to say that the point of this thread is for just complaining, thats a slap in the face to me. I am a customer, I buy the product because I like it, its a good game. I "hate" having to explain to anyone the rules with out having the offical rules to back it up. I have been trying to avoid this thread (the past few months) like one would avoid a sick, runny nosed, 6 year old with chicken pox.

I feel the same way on all points.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:And to say its all here in this thread, when did this thread or any other thread be considered Offical? At least with the Chaos Earth, its errata written by one person, who has backing with PB, its posted all in one place. And it says its not offical, but its pretty darn close to being offical. That was something i could present to my players and say "here is the beta version of the rules. Dont get to use to them, something may change." Least that is something, I ask again, why can that not be the case for R:UE?

Agreed and seconded.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:I am doing my best not to sound rude, and to leave my personal feelings out of it, and just ask direct questions, keeping it to the point regarding the errata...

I don`t think you are being rude at all. You like myself are just frustrated on something that imo should not be taking so long in being done.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:I am not here to complain, I am here to ask for errata...

As before I don`t think you are complaining. Like myself you are asking for errata but as more and more time passes and it fails to appear it stops feeling that one is asking and seems like one is begging for errata. I`m really getting tired of begging for something I don`t need to. Do yourself a favor and just ignore that so called complaining comment. It was unessary and imo uncalled for in the first place.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:If an offical person came to this post, and said, 'its going to be released with the other PDF's we have in the pipe line. But we really dont know when thats going to be'.. at least thats an answer i can accept. Not, well we are waiting on SO and SO to make a few changes...

Agreed and seconded. I think PB would fix this issue by giving a more concrete response on the RUE errata issue.

Shotgun Jolly wrote:And for the record. I do NOT have the money to buy another copy of R:UE.

Neither do I at worst I will wait for a used copy of the second printing to show up in the used section of my LGS.

Enlightened Grognard

jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

Well, I was upset about this months ago. I think it is completely unprofessional of them not to have posted the errata by now. And there is absolutely NO excuse they could possibly have for it.

I'm sticking with what I said before - no errata, no new purchases from me. It's the principle of the matter: not releasing the errata by now is essentially telling me that they want to force me to buy a second printing.

I didn't buy D-Bees of North America, I'm not buying any art books, and I'm perfectly fine with skipping the upcoming books, too.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

jgants wrote:Well, I was upset about this months ago. I think it is completely unprofessional of them not to have posted the errata by now. And there is absolutely NO excuse they could possibly have for it.

I'm sticking with what I said before - no errata, no new purchases from me. It's the principle of the matter: not releasing the errata by now is essentially telling me that they want to force me to buy a second printing.

I didn't buy D-Bees of North America, I'm not buying any art books, and I'm perfectly fine with skipping the upcoming books, too.

I'm in the same boat. Six months ago, when RUE went off for its 2nd print, I was hearing Brandon, Jason, and others talk about a new commitment to product quality and was just waiting for a little evidence of that before getting back on the Palladium bandwagon after several years of dissatisfaction.

Now I don't even bother to stop by the boards as much anymore, and when I do, it's mostly out of a morbid curiosity to see how long Kevin & Co. are going to drag this out. Palladium hasn't gotten any of my cash in a while, and it appears they're not going to for some time to come.
dark brandon
Knight

jgants wrote:And there is absolutely NO excuse they could possibly have for it.

On the totem of "things to do" this lists as a low priority. That is a plausible and reasonable excuse to me. It's not worth the 5-10-60 minutes it would take to post it.

I don't think it has to do with book sales, as I've never met someone who purchased another expensive book for errata. I'm not saying there aren't, but I don't think it's many.

Simply put, I think it's just that errata falls under "Fluff" stuff a company can do for it's customers.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Sureshot
Champion

dark brandon wrote:On the totem of "things to do" this lists as a low priority. That is a plausible and reasonable excuse to me. It's not worth the 5-10-60 minutes it would take to post it.

I disagree. While it should not be a high priority definately in the middle of priority. I think they would have less headaches and less complaints about this topic if they did take the 5-10-60 minutes it would take to post it. Second their product their responsability to post the errata. All i can do is ask for it.

dark brandon wrote:I don't think it has to do with book sales, as I've never met someone who purchased another expensive book for errata. I'm not saying there aren't, but I don't think it's many.

Personally I think it has everything to do with book sales. I held off on buying M&M 1st edition until the second printing came out. I bought a new copy of SR4 because I taught it had too many mistakes. I'm also hodling off on hetting the new Classic Battletech book once again for the same reason.

I think they are worried that if they post the errata books sales of later printings would decline. After all why buy a newer printing of RUE when you can use the errata to fill in the errors in the first printing. Tough luck for them on that account.

dark brandon wrote:Simply put, I think it's just that errata falls under "Fluff" stuff a company can do for it's customers.

Like I said before I think you and I are going to be disagreeing on this topic. See if PB was just a newcomer on the rpg market I would get them a lot more slack now they should know better and provide better. I'm through begging for the errata.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightened Grognard

KillingMachine
D-Bee

Unread post by KillingMachine »

Withholding the errata this long is simply inexcusable. If Palladium can't provide basic errata support for their flagship product, I have little reason to continue giving them my support by buying more of their products. The fact that the errata is already finished just makes it all the more insulting.
dark brandon
Knight

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:I disagree. While it should not be a high priority definately in the middle of priority. I think they would have less headaches and less complaints about this topic if they did take the 5-10-60 minutes it would take to post it. Second their product their responsability to post the errata. All i can do is ask for it.

I'm not saying what it should/shouldn't be. I said what it apperently is.

dark brandon wrote:Personally I think it has everything to do with book sales. I held off on buying M&M 1st edition until the second printing came out. I bought a new copy of SR4 because I taught it had too many mistakes. I'm also hodling off on hetting the new Classic Battletech book once again for the same reason.

I think they are worried that if they post the errata books sales of later printings would decline. After all why buy a newer printing of RUE when you can use the errata to fill in the errors in the first printing. Tough luck for them on that account.

But you still only bought 1 book. I wouldn't buy a new copy of rifts for the errata. Nor would I wait for them to release it. I don't think many people buy whole new books just for the errata. Simply put, if it's fixing they want, they can go through this thread and pick out the ones that are there. About the only one I saw that was needed was the juicer PP bonus. There was disagreement on weather GBs should have 1000 or 100 rounds, but just take the books word it's 1000 and it's not errata as needed.

dark brandon wrote:Like I said before I think you and I are going to be disagreeing on this topic. See if PB was just a newcomer on the rpg market I would get them a lot more slack now they should know better and provide better. I'm through begging for the errata.

Yeah, we disagree.
dark brandon
Knight

wyldstar wrote:Putting out rules corrections, errors fixed, and things that were omitted from the flagship product is akin to fluff? That's kind of a silly take on it.

Errors, like spelling errors? Yeah, I concider that fluff.

Rule corrections? I don't think there will be any rules corrections, because as far as I know there were no rule mistakes. There are disagreements, but thats not errata, that's FAQ.

The only things I saw that needed was the juicer PP bonus.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

There is a few issues I am aware of,

Magic Bonus for near the ley lines. NOt sure if its omitted or it was intended,

Wilderness scout being one of the OCC able to have psionics. (not the random roll we can all take)

Several OCC's skill descriptions... are they missing the skills or not.

Juicer PP bonus. what is it suspose to be?

The whole combat borg, robot strength issues in the hand to hand section. What can really do RS damage, what can not?

There are also a couple of equipment issues too, but I cant recal them now seeing I have not been playing Rifts for over 2 months now.

This is just off the top of my head, I dont really care about spelling or if a comma goes there or a period goes there.. to me, thats not the issue for me. For me, its the game rule issues that seem to leave me guessing what they really intended.

If they had a email or a person in which was an offical voice of PB to answer my questions. I would just send the email, with the questions at hand and I wouldnt be here today wondering about offical answers. There are lots of errata here on this thread, but who is to say what is really correct? There are sections of this thread that people argue over what is right. Who side do i listen too?

It may be easier for people like yourself (writers, artist, etc) who are in the know of what the rules are intended to be, who may be in direct contact with the other writers or editors, who may have sat down around the table with coffee and talked about some of these issues. But I do not know most of those questions. I am trying my best to be patient. I have no idea what they intend. ...I am just a regular joe, with average job. I like books about war, and I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane. And I am also a person who is looking to get his rules questions answered (through errata, so i can cut it out and paste it in the book) I really dont think I am asking for to much, seeing the errata is already done.

Sure, why cant they just copy and paste it to this thread? should take all of 15 seconds. Open document, Ctrl A, Ctrl C, come here, hit reply, then Ctrl V, submit...

Regards
verdilak
Adventurer

Shotgun Jolly wrote:
Sure, why cant they just copy and paste it to this thread? should take all of 15 seconds. Open document, Ctrl A, Ctrl C, come here, hit reply, then Ctrl V, submit...

Regards

This is what I mean. It's easy to put the stuff on the cutting room floor, or just repost all that has been said, but have it "Official". Sorry, we COULD look and wade through this whole thread for answers, but none of it is "Official". Non-"Official" errata is the same as House Rules, and some of use would rather have what it's supposed to be. So sue us.

It's easy to do, I mean, hell, nearly all the books have cut and paste in them, why not the cutting room floor?
Sureshot
Champion

dark brandon wrote:I'm not saying what it should/shouldn't be. I said what it apparently is.

True enough but there still is no really reason for them not to post. It's not that difficult.

dark brandon wrote:But you still only bought 1 book. I wouldn't buy a new copy of rifts for the errata. Nor would I wait for them to release it. I don't think many people buy whole new books just for the errata. Simply put, if it's fixing they want, they can go through this thread and pick out the ones that are there. About the only one I saw that was needed was the juicer PP bonus. There was disagreement on weather GBs should have 1000 or 100 rounds, but just take the books word it's 1000 and it's not errata as needed.

The only reason I ended up buying only 1 copy of M&M first edition was because my LGS was holding off on getting the core book until the second printing came in which took a couple of months. I had more than one opportunity to get a used copy but why bother when the second printing with corrections is on the way.

The difference between Green Ronin the owners of M&M and PB is that they had the errata posted on their website. I was not forced to buy a second printing of M&M 1st edition. With PB I am. I'm tired of people trying to pass the buck for PB by telling me: "You don't need official errata it's all in this thread".

I am in no mood to look through this thread as I have better things to do with my time. I'm willing to cut PB slack on many things due to the problems they have this year not on errata. Especially not on errata almost 2 years late. It's not my responsibility it's PB to do. It's like they hope if they say nothing and do nothing on the errata issue it's going to go away.

The more time passes the more I'm convinced that it's not going to get posted. Mainly for financial reasons only. Which in no way benefits me as I'm stuck buying a new copy of RUE which is not going to happen. I rather get a used copy and give my LGS the money instead. I have to say PB reluctance to publish errata on RUE is really not giving me the urge to get any new books from PB until this issue is resolved.

Enlightened Grognard

jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

dark brandon wrote:
jgants wrote:And there is absolutely NO excuse they could possibly have for it.

On the totem of "things to do" this lists as a low priority. That is a plausible and reasonable excuse to me. It's not worth the 5-10-60 minutes it would take to post it.

I don't think it has to do with book sales, as I've never met someone who purchased another expensive book for errata. I'm not saying there aren't, but I don't think it's many.

Simply put, I think it's just that errata falls under "Fluff" stuff a company can do for it's customers.

Well, first off, I think the goodwill on the "we don't have time" excuse ran out months ago.

Do you honestly expect me to believe that in six months, Wayne hasn't had 5 minutes to post a document online? I'm pretty sure I've seen him post here on the message board before. If he had time to post here, he had time to post the document.

Secondly, Palladium's books aren't novels, they are rule books. When a customer buys a rule book to a game, they have the expectation that the book will actually contain the full rules to the game. And that if any mistakes were made to the rules, there will be an errata document to tell us how the rules are supposed to work.

In this respect, the RUE is no different than the rulebook for a board game, war game, computer game, etc. Everyone else in the entire gaming industry freely puts out errata in a timely manner. And none of them consider it "fluff".
dark brandon
Knight

Shotgun Jolly wrote:There is a few issues I am aware of,

Magic Bonus for near the ley lines. NOt sure if its omitted or it was intended,

Inteded apparently because it's not in there. If it was omited then its errata, but until that point comes, why assume it was omited? It was inteded until otherwise stated.

Wilderness scout being one of the OCC able to have psionics. (not the random roll we can all take)

Several OCC's skill descriptions... are they missing the skills or not.

Not sure about the wilderness scout, but the second one, what do you mean are thye missing skills? About the only question I think that was out was someone having the computer op skill needs to be able to read and they didn't have it. "...Starts off with a skill that normally has a pre-requiste skill(s), assume that the character has the pre-requisite skill..."or something to that effect Pg 299

Juicer PP bonus. what is it suspose to be?

2d4 This is the one thing I agree needs to be errated.

The whole combat borg, robot strength issues in the hand to hand section. What can really do RS damage, what can not?

Robots can do RS damage. "Non-combat full conversion borgs and partial borgs get bionic/augmented ps". seems pretty cut and dry to me. Again, FAQ for the little nuances...but non errata.

There are also a couple of equipment issues too, but I cant recal them now seeing I have not been playing Rifts for over 2 months now.

This is just off the top of my head, I dont really care about spelling or if a comma goes there or a period goes there.. to me, thats not the issue for me. For me, its the game rule issues that seem to leave me guessing what they really intended.

If they had a email or a person in which was an offical voice of PB to answer my questions. I would just send the email, with the questions at hand and I wouldnt be here today wondering about offical answers. There are lots of errata here on this thread, but who is to say what is really correct? There are sections of this thread that people argue over what is right. Who side do i listen too?

If it's a FAQ question, a judgment call you listen to the GM. If your the GM you make the judgment call. Errata to me is things that were wrong. Having a gun do more damage than it should requires errata.

It may be easier for people like yourself (writers, artist, etc) who are in the know of what the rules are intended to be, who may be in direct contact with the other writers or editors, who may have sat down around the table with coffee and talked about some of these issues. But I do not know most of those questions. I am trying my best to be patient. I have no idea what they intend. ...I am just a regular joe, with average job. I like books about war, and I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane. And I am also a person who is looking to get his rules questions answered (through errata, so i can cut it out and paste it in the book) I really dont think I am asking for to much, seeing the errata is already done.

Yeah, cause ever weekend we all go over to k's house, sit and have tea talk about the games rules, then laugh quietly to ourselves about how we know all the answers and you don't. Then we throw fruit at donkeys.

No. The only difference between you and me, is that I don't assume anything that is/isn't there. I don't assume that a GB should have 100 when it says it has 1000. I take the book for what it's worth.
dark brandon
Knight

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:The only reason I ended up buying only 1 copy of M&M first edition was because my LGS was holding off on getting the core book until the second printing came in which took a couple of months. I had more than one opportunity to get a used copy but why bother when the second printing with corrections is on the way.

Maybe some people do buy more than one copy of a book just to get the errata.

Personally, I wouldn't, so I fail to see how it's a financial thing.
Sureshot
Champion

dark brandon wrote:Personally, I wouldn't, so I fail to see how it's a financial thing.

Withold the errata and the only way to get the errata is to purchases the second printing which in turn allows them to sell more copies of RUE. Post the errata and they run the chance of not selling the second printing as you can use the errata without having to get a copy of the second printing.

Enlightened Grognard

Sureshot
Champion

dark brandon wrote:Yeah, cause ever weekend we all go over to k's house, sit and have tea talk about the games rules, then laugh quietly to ourselves about how we know all the answers and you don't. Then we throw fruit at donkeys.

No. The only difference between you and me, is that I don't assume anything that is/isn't there. I don't assume that a GB should have 100 when it says it has 1000. I take the book for what it's worth.

Your fine with a book that has mistakes some of us are not. If it's one or two mistakes I can live with that. With RUE it's not. The errata should have been posted up long ago. If they did this thread would have died long ago.

Enlightened Grognard

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Hyperbole much?

darkbrandon is in no way an official representative of Palladium.

In fact, I suspect darkbrandon is the only one that thinks that way. Posting the errata is definitely worth Palladium's time, whether it takes 5, 10, or 120 minutes.

~Josh
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

WARNING TO ALL FUTURE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD!!!! - THIS INCLUDES FANS, NON-FANS & FREELANCERS!
========================================================================================
This thread is for the posting of eratta in the Rifts Ultimate Edition Book. Keep this thread on topic or face banning. Period!

If you want to discuss why something hasn't been posted on the site, start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

{editted for spelling error - Ironic dont you think? :D }
Last edited by NMI on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

thats been changed , ninja bunny.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jason Richards

Ninjabunny wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:thats been changed , ninja bunny.
Sweet well then that takes care of my Beef with R;UE. :)

Another satisfied customer. :)

Kremlin KOA
D-Bee

Unread post by Kremlin KOA »

Thinyser wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:
..you clearly have no concept of the nature of a company like Palladium...

-Mike

What is the "nature of a company like Palladium"? :-?

probably similar to the Tao of FanPro
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

So...without me seaching through 46 pages of crap...where is the official errata (from Palladium...not just a bunch of us internet geeks compiling a list of errors....)?

What are the changes in the second printing?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

RAZON wrote:I'm not sure if it's been brought up before but ...

The ISP recovery rate for mind melters, dogboys, Mystics, and psi stalkers is not mentioned under their occs. Only the Burster occ talks about it.. the only reference in the whole book is under the burster PCC.

Check out the new psi ability "meditation" listed under each catagory (healing, physical, sensitive). I guess you have to pick that ability now, and its not automatic anymore.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Kagashi wrote:So...without me seaching through 46 pages of crap...where is the official errata (from Palladium...not just a bunch of us internet geeks compiling a list of errors....)?

There is no official errata...
verdilak
Adventurer

Giant2005 wrote:
Kagashi wrote:So...without me seaching through 46 pages of crap...where is the official errata (from Palladium...not just a bunch of us internet geeks compiling a list of errors....)?

There is no official errata...

The way it's looking, there wont every be official errata, unfortunately.
Sureshot
Champion

Last I heard it was supposed to be released sometime this month. Let see if this time than actually follow through.

Enlightened Grognard

verdilak
Adventurer

Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:Last I heard it was supposed to be released sometime this month. Let see if this time than actually follow through.

I wont cross my fingers, but I cant help but hope. Where did you see that if you dont mind me asking.
verdilak
Adventurer

Apollo wrote:
verdilak wrote:
Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:Last I heard it was supposed to be released sometime this month. Let see if this time than actually follow through.

I wont cross my fingers, but I cant help but hope. Where did you see that if you dont mind me asking.

viewtopic.php?t=75983

Kevin Siembieda responded to a PM from forum member menecrates, and said the RUE official errata should be out by "the end of August or September at the latest".
Unfortunately, that being said, doesnt mean much to me until I actually see it posted. Guess I am still waiting.
Sureshot
Champion

EPIC wrote:i just hope the errata includes all of the errors/corrections from the 1st printing of the RUE to the 2nd printing.

i would hate to have the 1st printing errata left out because "it was corrected in the 2nd printing."

So would I.

Enlightened Grognard

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Its good to see its been addressed. I sure am not going to shell out anohter 40 bucks just to get what I should have gotten the first time.

Its just like when you order something from a resturant. if the waiter comes out with something different than you expected, he brings you out another plate and you dont pay for two meals.
Updated Aug 2015
Sureshot
Champion

So any update on when the errata will be released?

Enlightened Grognard

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Sureshot wrote:So any update on when the errata will be released?

Look a few posts up.

~Josh

Return to “Rifts®”