Spell disruption questions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I definitely think dragons, gods & other powerful supernatural beings/creatures of magic shouldn't use the same spell disruption table as human-type spellcasters, but I don't think a table has been printed for them. You'd be best to make something up yourself that feels right to you.

Dumb Dwarf, I think your creation there is too good for the caster: a mage who gets hit for half his total MDC should be almost guaranteed to lose the spell, not have 30% chance to succeed at lvl 1. 50 MDC in one hit is an immediate knockdown for human-type characters after all.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Spell disruption questions

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

walross1978 wrote:This is a rifts setting. Caster who gets hit/shot while casting has a chance of losing the spell. I was wondering how you guys deal with this, especially if the caster is a supernatural creature like a dragon, demi-god etc...

Do you guys use other spell disruption tables or the same one used by regular sdc magicians.

If a creature has 500-1000 mdc and is hit while casting for 20mdc or more there is a 0% chance of casting.

This doesn't seem right.

The amount of force isn't less so it's still just as disruptive. they can just take more.

Me? I genearlly expect such beings to cast Armor of Ithan fairly eairly on. Sinse the attack is then hitting their armor and not them, there is no disruption.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

But shouldn't it be a matter of proportion? I mean, an adult dragon getting hit for 20 MDC is like the dragon getting a paper cut, while 20 MDC to a human-esque target is quite serious. I really don't think they should have the same chance to lose a spell due to damage. A chance, yes, but not the same chance.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
walross1978 wrote:This is a rifts setting. Caster who gets hit/shot while casting has a chance of losing the spell. I was wondering how you guys deal with this, especially if the caster is a supernatural creature like a dragon, demi-god etc...

Do you guys use other spell disruption tables or the same one used by regular sdc magicians.

If a creature has 500-1000 mdc and is hit while casting for 20mdc or more there is a 0% chance of casting.

This doesn't seem right.

The amount of force isn't less so it's still just as disruptive. they can just take more.

Me? I genearlly expect such beings to cast Armor of Ithan fairly eairly on. Sinse the attack is then hitting their armor and not them, there is no disruption.

Wise words! :-D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

This doesn't seem right.

Unless it's an attack sufficient to knock them down, or cause SDC damage through MDC armor.

Energy Field is quite useful for things like this; with space around you, they can keep smacking your shield, and it's not going to affect you.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”