Most Awsome power Armor in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'm surprised this one hasn't come up:

Solar Combat Armor - flies better than a Flying Titan, more MDC than the Predator, a 1D6x10 railgun or a set of 1D4x10+10 plasma ejectors (which can be paired together for 2D4x10+20 of plasma toasty goodness) and the ability to sheath itself in a field of plasma energy protecting it from most attacks!
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

So that is your choice Jefffar? It is a great PA. What are your others ones? Say 1 thru 4.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Mostly situationally dependant:

Unlike a lot of folks here, I consider the Jaeger a light robot rather than a PA, so that's off the list - likewise the Ulti-max or the Glitterboy - though all three designs I like to use for ground combat. I also consider many of the Kittani designs - which don't have the pilots legs actually involved in locomotion - to be real power armor, so that's why they aren't in my list.

I do tend towards mobility and striking power in my PA designs, with armour as a secondary consideration.

So this means the NG Sampson and the TR Flying Titan are some of my faves from the North American continent.

From European armours I'm fond of the Triax X-10A

Japan's the Dai Katana Bugei is a great combo of offense, defense and mobility, probably my second favourite overall.

The capabilities of the Naruni and the 3G armours are impressive, but I don't use them in my games very often so I don't have much of a relationship with them.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Aramanthus
Monk

I thought the GB was operated with the pilot's legs in at least the top of the GBs legs.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Aramanthus wrote:I thought the GB was operated with the pilot's legs in at least the top of the GBs legs.

It's not operated from a console, like the Ultimax, if that's what you're talking about.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Aramanthus
Monk

I still thought the operators legs were in the legs of the GB. I need to have my books here at work.

HH....FIE
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

wow...all this analysis of damage rates and mdc values...dosesnt any one pick PAs cause they look cool any more?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Aramanthus
Monk

I did that is the reason way back there I said the GB was my favorite.

HH....FIE
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

According to what I've managed to find out after reading an article on Modern Railguns, the weapon DOES impart kinetic energy onto the firing platform (the Glitterboy), although it doesn't actually have as much kick as a conventional cannon. In order to fire the weapon in a standing position without bracing against a wall, the Glitterboy probably would need the dampeners on the back to keep standing, but not the pylons. At most, the GB would probably slide back an inch or two. Also, after evaluating the design and firing rate of the GB cannon, I think it's more of a coilgun then a railgun. For a single shot weapon, the coilgun would provide more speed and power then the electro magnetic rail system, since the coils activate in a sequence, speeding up the cartridge all the way out of the barrel. As for fully automatic, the rail system would work better since the system is less complex. Might I add, I think it was said before somewhere on this board, but the speed on the boomgun round is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. It should be moving much faster then that. :-D

Soooo... after making all the corrections to the armor suit I now very much like the glitterboy as my new tank.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah I know it should be moving at what around 10X that speed minimum? I'd have to go and read how fast the railgun speed is. I'm not sure.

HH....FIE
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

And according to what I've read up on this old military article I bought, a coil gun could fire off a round moving roughly four to five times that of a rail gun.

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Subjugator

Max™ wrote:The Ulti-max pilot has their legs inside the upper legs of the suit I thought.

It's 16 feet tall, large no doubt, but not big enough for you to sit entirely inside the body unless you're curled up into a very tight ball.

The description of the Ulti-Max says that the pilot sits at a console.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

No at 16' tall there is plenty of room for a one man cockpit. Take a look at a mini van and measure out the dimensions of the driver space. One could easily fit that into the body of that Ultimax. Probably still room for a cup holder or two for a thermos of coffee in the morning, actually.

Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Technically speaking, it probably wouldn't be that much more costly to convert a Power Armor into a basic borg body type. Just stick the brain and life support systems inside and you're ready to go. :-D

Yes, I've heard of a player making a Glitterboy borg.

Aramanthus
Monk

A Glitterboy PA converted to a borg body. I guess it would be possible. You'd just have to be also to put the life support into the PA and then seal it so no one could remove it and throw the poor person's innards out. Also you'd have to seriously revamp all of the controls in the PA to be mentally controlled. It would take quite a bit of extensive refitting.

HH....FIE
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Colt47 wrote:Technically speaking, it probably wouldn't be that much more costly to convert a Power Armor into a basic borg body type. Just stick the brain and life support systems inside and you're ready to go. :-D

Yes, I've heard of a player making a Glitterboy borg.

Take a look at the robot soldier in Triax. IIRC, they have options for using some of the Jagers as a body. Don't have the book in front of me to double check. I would say it is quite possible.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Domo arigatou Mr. Roboto. Someone with power over machines make that puppy dance!

Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

My favs, based on my style and not "specs".

1) Free Quebec SideKick (the sweetest terrain-hopper evar!)
2) Triax Super Trooper (my kinda soldier and anti-vehicle)
3) Triax GlitterBoy (it's the Glitterboy that makes sense to me, has 2 free hands and decent additional weapons - I also like the V-shaped visor, the original is just goofy for being so stripped down, especially considering the time period it was created in, along with it's combat role)
4) Kitanni Serpent Power Armor (love the design and function)
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Would a full conversion borg in power armor be that much better? I mean, borgs don't get bonus attacks or anything. A juicer in PA would be crazy, though I'm not sure that's kosher by the book off the top of my head.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

A custom Ulti-max with a Railgun that does truely rival that of a Glitter Boy.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Fav PA in Rifts huh?

1: Ultimax- pilot sits at a console (fully encased btw), the original reason it was classed as PA was weight.

2: CS Deaths Head SAMAS

3: Glitter Boy- can you say BOOM! bee-otch!

4: X-10 predator

5: and from out of the box Saber Cyclone
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Yeah, it's kind of like cracking open a walnut and instead of finding soft nut inside you find a hard shelled beetle with nasty pincers.

I've already stated my favorites, but I'll state them again:

1. J.A.P.E. Defender power armor produced by the black market. Highly flexible payload with good armor for a power armor of it's size.
2. Triax Terrain Hopper produced by Triax Industries. As a fan of the Video Game Tribes, this suit is just so reminiscent of the light armor from the genre. Plus with some anti friction fields on the feet, I can power slide across hilly terrain. Trust me, there is nothing like power sliding. :-D
3. Gladiator Power Armor with a nuclear power system produced by Northern Gun. Another light, man sized suit of power armor that borders on being an Environmental Body Armor. It doesn't have the hopping feature of the Terrain Hopper, but it's got a little more armor and is fairly common in the Americas. With a jet pack attachment and anti-friction fields on the feet it can power slide, giving it excellent speed (power sliding with anti-friction fields can get speeds of up to 200-220 MPH average in hilly or mountainous terrain).
4. Sidewinder and Wild Weasel SAMAS produced by Bandito Arms in Nevada. Plain out superior SAMAS designs using vector thrust systems. Excellent maneuverability and great firepower even when using the experimental grenade launcher. The Wild Weasel is pretty much the best power armor for coordinating attacks and defense with its pair of black boxes.
5. The Samson Missile man made by Northern Gun. I'm not a big fan of the original Samson, since the original is big, poorly armored for a mechanized unit of it's size, and also has moderate firepower. The missile-man changes that with a whole payload of missiles mounted over the shoulders. It's not as fast as the original Samson, but it packs more firepower and has moderate armor.

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Max™ wrote:
Talavar wrote:Would a full conversion borg in power armor be that much better? I mean, borgs don't get bonus attacks or anything. A juicer in PA would be crazy, though I'm not sure that's kosher by the book off the top of my head.

Adelphi Juicer's I think it is get piloting bonuses.

Phaeton Juicer I believe (at work!)
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

The downfall to the power trooper is it's overly large size. Due to the size I have to give it a lower score on the armor value, plus it is fairly slow. Like most of Free Quebec's power armors, it does excel in the firepower category with its large compliment of mini missiles. A pilot in a smaller and more maneuverable power armor will pick it apart fairly quickly.

Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

The pilot isn't factored into the power armor basic ratings. :)

I'd have to take another look at that one. From memory I believe I gave the unit with the forcefield high marks on durability, though it is slow. As a power armor meant to counter the USA-G10 Chromium Guardsman it is a greater success then the Ulti-Max. Albeit it would still lose in a one on one strait out confrontation. It's a good all rounder type of ground power armor that would excel as a front line defender.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: Most Awsome power Armor in Rifts

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Prince Cherico wrote:what is the most awsome power armor in rifts

For me its the classic gliter boy what is it for you guys?

SPLICERS : Dreadguard Host Armor (Bio-Power Armor)

South America 2 : SOLAR COMBAT ARMOR
South America 2 : ARMOR OF THE SUN
South America 2 : NAZCA PA

Aliens Unlimited Revised : RAITHENOR Symbiote PA

Free Quebec : Glitterboy
Free Quebec : Silverwolf
Free Quebec : Violator SAMAS

Phase World Sourcebook : WARLOCK MARINE PA
Last edited by TechnoGothic on Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Classic SAMAS. Dreads for TEH win!
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
TechnoGothic
Knight

dark brandon wrote:Classic SAMAS. Dreads for TEH win!

Yes the DREADguard would win ;) :lol:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

Subjugator wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:I thought the GB was operated with the pilot's legs in at least the top of the GBs legs.

It's not operated from a console, like the Ultimax, if that's what you're talking about.

/Sub

GLITTERBOY Pilots Legs operate the GB's Legs. The Pilot does the running for the PA, which the PA assists which increases the endurance of the pilot for running. The GB pilot can run 10x longer than normal at full speed (60mph) of the PA.

Says so in the Glitterboy discribtions and details.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Subjugator

TechnoGothic wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

GLITTERBOY Pilots Legs operate the GB's Legs. The Pilot does the running for the PA, which the PA assists which increases the endurance of the pilot for running. The GB pilot can run 10x longer than normal at full speed (60mph) of the PA.

That's pretty much what I was saying. His legs go down inside them. In the Ultimax, the pilot sits in a chair or the like.

/Sub

TechnoGothic
Knight

Subjugator wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

That's pretty much what I was saying. His legs go down inside them. In the Ultimax, the pilot sits in a chair or the like.

/Sub

My bad Sub...
I read your answer wrong.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Rifts®”