Physical Beauty Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

whats looks got to do with it

Just a good looking version of your old still your friends and family still know its you
38%
Totally new your family and friends don’t know you and my have to be convinced
38%
Theirs a chance people how new him well (family) 50-50
25%

Total votes: 24

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Physical Beauty Question

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

So who much does extraordinary PB really change the look of the character?
Let’s say you are the average PB person with a PB of 9 and at 17 years old you mutant, no other traits or powers change your look but you now have a PB of 27 your PB has tripled!

this is an extreme example but even a 12 to 22 etc.
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I would say it depends on how the player and GM work it out during character creation.

If it's not on all the time, i.e. some effect of a transformation, the player may want different looks for their secret and heroic identities.

If the ability is permanant, the player may have some interesting reason why the character is no longer recognizable by the people they know, or just may want to roleplay it that way.

If the power is negated somehow, and the hero reverts to their natural appearance, you could play the staple 'unmasked' scene.
You know, everyone's jaw drops and someone says something like "Mike Morris is Captain Incredible?!".
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Who says it happens all at once maby the tripling of your PB
happens over a period of time.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

It's like those reunion specials where the frumpy kid they made fun of is 'HAWT DAMN FINE' and dissing them. XD
People who actually know them would likely recognize them, though people you hadn't paid much attention to them or hadn't seem in a while likely wouldn't make the connection automatically.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

With the power ExPB, the char would of started out with it, so there is no change @ puberty, or its just happens over time like the difference between a child's face and a audult's face. There would be no sudden change just the child growing up, so close familly wouldn't see any real change becasue they have seen all the change. While distant familly members would see the differences when they meet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:With the power ExPB, the char would of started out with it, so there is no change @ puberty, or its just happens over time like the difference between a child's face and a audult's face. There would be no sudden change just the child growing up, so close familly wouldn't see any real change becasue they have seen all the change. While distant familly members would see the differences when they meet.
not if you use the chart for when the power appeared
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Like mose gaming charts, there are things that don't fit into them.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Like mose gaming charts, there are things that don't fit into them.
ok how about exposures to strange stuff powers can appear over night!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Like mose gaming charts, there are things that don't fit into them.

Then they turn into a super idealized version of how they used to look. Most people would know they look 'different' but it would be more along the lines of "Wow, I don't know what you did but you look great, did you get your hair done? Did you get a nose job?"

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I agree. They would still resemble themselves, but as if they had a massive makeover.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I agree. They would still resemble themselves, but as if they had a massive makeover.
triple is a massive male over.... but ok that the new rule for me thanks all
Dragon_blaze
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1) In every picture taken of me I look different
2) Take the guy that weighs 300+, 5'0, glasses and major funked up teeth. Make him disappear for a couple of years with a PB of 7 or less. He gets lasiks, starts exercising, gets braces and comes back. Those who knew him before will not pick him out of a crowd. If he approches them and thena nnounces who he is they may have to search for cognition cues to find similarities. And that isn't a bunch of points that's opnly maybe 3 or 4, not 10 or more
3) By the previous posts reasoning, Disguise would always work. If major changes like PB+10 will still be seen as being the same person, then why not someone trying to look like the person with similar or similar enough traits + make up? Perhaps visual only but still passing easily enough
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

KillWatch wrote:1) In every picture taken of me I look different
2) Take the guy that weighs 300+, 5'0, glasses and major funked up teeth. Make him disappear for a couple of years with a PB of 7 or less. He gets lasiks, starts exercising, gets braces and comes back. Those who knew him before will not pick him out of a crowd. If he approches them and thena nnounces who he is they may have to search for cognition cues to find similarities. And that isn't a bunch of points that's opnly maybe 3 or 4, not 10 or more
3) By the previous posts reasoning, Disguise would always work. If major changes like PB+10 will still be seen as being the same person, then why not someone trying to look like the person with similar or similar enough traits + make up? Perhaps visual only but still passing easily enough

dang thats good to........... ok let it continue!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Situational depending on how the power is gained.

If it is part of an experiment/accident then they might be completely unrecognizable. Hair color, skin color, muscle tone, etc might all have changed so drastically that you'd never know it was them.

If it is just a natural power like mutation, maybe the PB part has always been visible. Or when the power becomes active they're simply more appealing to the senses, but still recognizable. Think of those movies (and there are plenty) where the main character is dull frumpy with messy hair, etc. Then something happens where they are made over, and suddenly they're much better looking. It's the same actor/actress, but the way they are groomed and made up makes all the difference for the movie. With the super power a similar thing might happen, except that they always appear perfectly groomed, perfect complexion, perfect coloration, etc.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:3) By the previous posts reasoning, Disguise would always work. If major changes like PB+10 will still be seen as being the same person, then why not someone trying to look like the person with similar or similar enough traits + make up? Perhaps visual only but still passing easily enough

You lost me here... why would disguise always work if a guy who develops the power of Extraordinary PB still looks similar enough so that people argue it away with excuses like a nose job etc? All I'm saying is that there will be enough traits in his face and body and manners that people will still be able to recognize him.

Daniel Stoker
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

LostOne wrote:Situational depending on how the power is gained.

If it is part of an experiment/accident then they might be completely unrecognizable. Hair color, skin color, muscle tone, etc might all have changed so drastically that you'd never know it was them.

If it is just a natural power like mutation, maybe the PB part has always been visible. Or when the power becomes active they're simply more appealing to the senses, but still recognizable. Think of those movies (and there are plenty) where the main character is dull frumpy with messy hair, etc. Then something happens where they are made over, and suddenly they're much better looking. It's the same actor/actress, but the way they are groomed and made up makes all the difference for the movie. With the super power a similar thing might happen, except that they always appear perfectly groomed, perfect complexion, perfect coloration, etc.

the idea for the players character is a teen who was a super geek (bullied etc.) how on day wakes up with super powers including ext: PB the powers came literally of night he also role no visible mutant traits,
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Quester wrote:Check out my "Super Ex-Girlfriend" as an example of a sudden increase in PB.
that was a good flick didnt think I would like it but was pleasantly surprised.
KillWatch
Champion

DS: I was speaking to the range of an appearance between a drastic+10 to PB and someone of relative similar appearance trying to look like someone else. If a PB+10 is simply waking up without your zits then it's a "urine" poor power. But I see something so noticable as actually changing your bodies morphology; shedding weight, correcting teeth alignments, healing scars, your BO should now be bottled by Axe, and your gas is being reverse engineered by glade ect. Espescially if you double your PB from 10 to 20. Think of your high school reunions. You might nto even change PB but you change appearance. Sometimes drastucally so but getting your teeth fixed going to the gym getting your eyes done, dressing better. These simple things may only bump you a few points but go back after 10 years and nobody will recognize you until you say Hey my name is Jimmy Dossledorf, I sat behind you in History? and the hot fox that is still a hot fox studies really hard and doesn't place you then her mouth drops open and says Dossledork??? Oh my god is that you?

Dragon Blaze: Espescially with this situation people won't recognize him. He may even ran out of the house byhis family unless they convince him that he is their little boy. Then of course they are going to want to take him to a doctor who will want to tests. Someone may leak it to the government that there is this boy who change shape overstating the situation and the cia gets "excited" about the prospects of being able to change their agents morphology at will. But let's leave the doctors out of this. This would be a perfect time for him to change his identity. There are so many 80's movies where the class geek is remodeled and becomes the it guy, either throught the help of the cheerleader who placed or lost a bet or the hooker with a heart of gold.
A dramatic increase of PB whether known or not is probably going to put everyone else to shame. The chicks will dig him too much and depending on alignments and social histories may result in several unfortunate accidents in shop class, gymnastics or simple "falls" in the shower. The guys will be pissed because their girls are always looking for the next best thing and that thiing is now you and they won't like that too much. You thought being bullied was bad when you were a nobody, try being more than a blip on their disfunctional anger management radar
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

KillWatch wrote: your BO should now be bottled by Axe, and your gas is being reverse engineered by glade ect.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the social part i have under control it was more the look thing i was going for but thats for your help
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:DS: I was speaking to the range of an appearance between a drastic+10 to PB and someone of relative similar appearance trying to look like someone else. If a PB+10 is simply waking up without your zits then it's a "urine" poor power.

Well I didn't say you just woke up without your zits, but if you want to pare it down to that then you're welcome to I guess? But why is it a poor power then? It's not intended to be a disguise power, it's supposed to make you beautiful and have people react to you like that. Why would people still being able to know you're you change that?

But I see something so noticable as actually changing your bodies morphology; shedding weight, correcting teeth alignments, healing scars, your BO should now be bottled by Axe, and your gas is being reverse engineered by glade ect.

I'll agree, someone going from 400 lbs to 175 is going to look different, but that's just one way to have a big change and it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be what happens in the example we started with. As to the HS thing, well go figure people have trouble recognizing people they haven't seen in 20 years who've also gone through massive changes. ;) That doesn't mean someone who suddenly develops Extraordinary PB is going to have their who body/face/look change so that they're unrecognizable.

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

um I would think so. IT is physical beauty. What are you saying actually changes?
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:um I would think so. IT is physical beauty. What are you saying actually changes?

What I keep saying it changes, details of their physical beauty, but in this case I don't think it would change their looks so that no one would know who they are. You're not going to necessarily see someone go from looking like Screech to looking like Fabio. Yes it COULD be that way depending on how they got the power etc, but that's background.

Daniel Stoker
KillWatch
Champion

Let's just say screech has a PB 7, 7+10=17 which I would argue is equal to or better than fabio
Daniel Stoker
Knight

KillWatch wrote:Let's just say screech has a PB 7, 7+10=17 which I would argue is equal to or better than fabio

Ok? That doesn't mean he's going to have his face restructure into Fabio's if he goes from 7 to 17. (I was trying to use extreme examples of people with different looks and beauty levels)

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:

Then they would notice them being different, but how different depends on the char creation prosses.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”