Energy Weapons

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Energy Weapons

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

That's right this little thread is about Energy Weapons in Nightspawn/Bane.

In the back of the core rulebook it has about 7 different energy weapons. now the question becomes Who, what, where, why, how?

Who has them

what are they doing with them

where are they

why are they using the energy weapons like they are

how are they being used.

So who has some sugestions?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

The first question is why bother using the bloodly things?
regular guns do more damage for less money, so you need
a reason to use them beyond well this looks cool.

Personally I think a good reason to use them is that they automatically
by pass natural AR. Being able to do damage reliably to supernatural
creatures is a good reason to invest in said weapons.

Still at the end of the day I think only the spook squad would have them.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Yea. Pretty Much...Spook squad, and maybe Special forces military if you mix them in somehow.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Area 51/Groom Lake...definitely....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

They're there because no Palladium book would be complete without badly edited cut-and-pastes from older Palladium books :)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Spook Squad, and various government agents might have access to Energy Weapons for Anti-Supernatural Ops.

I once introduced the AtB (Empire of Humanity) Exo-Suit Armor in our HU2/Nightbane/BtS game. I gave it chromium armor (like a Glitterboy). I named it the Chromium Guardsman Power Armor Mark One. Yes the First of the "glitterboy armors" before they became even more heavily armored and with greater firepower.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Re: Energy Weapons

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

Rockwolf66 wrote:Who has them

As everyone has suggested, it makes the most sense for them to be Spook Squad weapons, probably experimental prototypes. They could also work well as something for a Heroes Hardware character to invent, if you're crossing genres at all.

Rockwolf66 wrote:what are they doing with them

That would depend on who had them. Going with the Spook Squad theory, probably pulled out the prototypes and started using them as frontline weapons wherever they could.

Rockwolf66 wrote:where are they
Standard answer to the location of any shadowy organization (i.e. EVERYONE in Nightbane) would be "They're EVERYWHERE".

Rockwolf66 wrote:why are they using the energy weapons like they are

Because it hurts monsters real bad. Lasers would be quiet, too, so good for keeping things quiet.

Rockwolf66 wrote:how are they being used.

Violently.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
The ineffible GM
Explorer

New Idea: Screw Spook squad. energy weapons 'aren't real', and are way too high tech for anyone on earth to be building. And the Nightlords would never bother with them.

The Children of Domhaim Dorcha (appeared in a Rifter) or some other faction from the Dream Stream has found a collection of individuals that watch way too many sci-fi movies, and these Dream Stream denizens have been plucking weapons out from the dreams of these individuals and binding them with PPE to make them 'real'. Now they ahve the firepower to encroach upon the real world.
In heart, they are moving against the Nightlords because if the Nightlords win then there will be no 'happy' dreams any more, only dreams that are hostile to the faction's existence in the Dreamstream.
At the same time, they are capturing and imprisoning people (children?) in bunkers, where they are then supplied with sweets and video games and movies and all sorts of fun things, and a healthy dose of sleeping pills. These happy dreams filled with fun imaginings give the faction somewhere nice to dwell and the like it that way.

Damn, I think I have a new Rifter article brewing.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Top secret weapons developed from technology recovered from the imaginary spaceship that never crashed near Roswell, New Mexico.

Or highly top secret prototypes from advanced weapons research from military contractors. Possibly stolen from a top secret storage facility or hijacked in transit to the facility.

But I think rail gun tech will become infantry portable long before plasma ejectors, ion cannons, or even laser pistols. It's closer to current tech, only the propulsion method is different. In fact, the only thing preventing rail gun tech from becoming the new standard is a limitation we'd need for any of the others, making power packs portable enough to not be a bulky and heavy hinderence to a soldier (they already carry something like 90lbs of gear on them in combat situations).

So the only believable method of having an energy weapon in Nightbane that doesn't have a 60lbs backpack is if it is of alien origin.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

LostOne wrote:Top secret weapons developed from technology recovered from the imaginary spaceship that never crashed near Roswell, New Mexico.

Or highly top secret prototypes from advanced weapons research from military contractors. Possibly stolen from a top secret storage facility or hijacked in transit to the facility.

But I think rail gun tech will become infantry portable long before plasma ejectors, ion cannons, or even laser pistols. It's closer to current tech, only the propulsion method is different. In fact, the only thing preventing rail gun tech from becoming the new standard is a limitation we'd need for any of the others, making power packs portable enough to not be a bulky and heavy hinderence to a soldier (they already carry something like 90lbs of gear on them in combat situations).

So the only believable method of having an energy weapon in Nightbane that doesn't have a 60lbs backpack is if it is of alien origin.

In a world where you have magic users shapeshifters angels vampires
and evil soul eating monsters why are aleans so unbelivable?
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Prince Cherico wrote:In a world where you have magic users shapeshifters angels vampires
and evil soul eating monsters why are aleans so unbelivable?

I apologize if the post wasn't clear, but I never said they were unbelievable. In fact the last line says the only way to explain an energy weapon that uses a small power source is if it is alien.

The first line about the imaginary spaceship was intended to be a nod to the government coverup that would have occurred (as many people believe it really did) if a GM decided to say it had happened in their game world.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

The ineffible GM wrote:The Children of Domhaim Dorcha (appeared in a Rifter) or some other faction from the Dream Stream

Y'know, I'm always shocked whenever someone remembers that little gem.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
The ineffible GM
Explorer

They appear in Revised Heroes Unlimited & Heroes Unlimited 2nd Ed. I'm not sure, but I think that they're also in the original Beyond the Supernatural, and in Ninjas and Superspies.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

duck-foot wrote:
Rallan wrote:They're there because no Palladium book would be complete without badly edited cut-and-pastes from older Palladium books :)

what other book(s) are the energy weaponsin the bacck of nightbane in?

Heros Unlimited.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Maybe i should clarify things

same questions but limited to Official sources...

I have been looking through my books and note that Area 51 uses Energy Weapons but who controls Area 51 is the mystery.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

Area 51 is a Spook Squad project, run by the Pandora Project if I remember correctly.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Personally I'd avoid non-magical energy weapons like the plague unless you plan on fundamentally changing the groove of Nightbane by introducing adventure sci-fi elements into it. The game is about modern world, about finding out that the country you know and live in has been taken over by monsters and that you're a monster yourself. Putting laser rifles and particle beam weaposn into the game is basically like putting up a big sign saying "Nope, not the modern world after all guys, we're actually playing Stargate with demons". Which is great if you want a campaign about secret government supersoldiers dishing out the hurt with ultratech, or a campaign where Dark Day happens way off in the future and the Nightlords are trying to take over a more technologically advanced planet, but if you're not going for those things then you're probably better off putting the Buck Rogers guns back in the cupboard and playing it so magic and the supernatural are the only X Factors that make the game different from the real world.

Although thanks to the "Any Sufficiently Advanced..." rule, you could probably get away with dropping in a couple of vaguely technological-looking weapons that had been made by the Lost Race, just as long as you're suitably vague and mysterious about explaining how they actually work.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Rallan wrote:Personally I'd avoid non-magical energy weapons like the plague unless you plan on fundamentally changing the groove of Nightbane by introducing adventure sci-fi elements into it. The game is about modern world, about finding out that the country you know and live in has been taken over by monsters and that you're a monster yourself. Putting laser rifles and particle beam weaposn into the game is basically like putting up a big sign saying "Nope, not the modern world after all guys, we're actually playing Stargate with demons". Which is great if you want a campaign about secret government supersoldiers dishing out the hurt with ultratech, or a campaign where Dark Day happens way off in the future and the Nightlords are trying to take over a more technologically advanced planet, but if you're not going for those things then you're probably better off putting the Buck Rogers guns back in the cupboard and playing it so magic and the supernatural are the only X Factors that make the game different from the real world.

Although thanks to the "Any Sufficiently Advanced..." rule, you could probably get away with dropping in a couple of vaguely technological-looking weapons that had been made by the Lost Race, just as long as you're suitably vague and mysterious about explaining how they actually work.

Umm the core clear states the laser weapons are few and far inbetween and that they are very rare and only groups like the spook squad has them, AND that the tech for these weapons was being developed when dark day happened. So NO they don't take away from the fun of the game.

I'm not saying they take away from the fun of the game, I'm just saying they make it different. Unless the whole point of what you're doing is a bit of genre-bending fun, you really need to sit yourself down and think things through when you decide to add stuff from unrelated genres into a game (like, oh I dunno, laser rifles into a modern horror game). Throwing in stuff that's got absolutely nothing to do with what the players thought the setting was about is a good way to kill suspension of disbelief if you don't handle it well, and an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach is a good way to make any game cheesy.

That's not to say you have to limit yourself strictly to existing technology, especially with a group like the Spook Squad. After all, the game's supposed to be cinematic rather than realistic, and there are crack secret agents who've looted some of their gear from top secret US government R&D projects. But (apart from the supernatural side of things), it's a cinematic version of the real world. Stuff on a par with Tom Clancy spy gadgets can fit. Laser beams or cybernetic implants and other such stuff are going to seem out of place without a much better explanation than the little blurb in the main book's weapon section, in the same way that guns on a par with 20th century automatics are gonna need a better explanation than "oh I guess some dude who's really clever at engineerin could've figured out how to make submachineguns" to fit into a western.

Remember the big epic battle at the end of Moonraker? Remember all the baddy's goons running around with laser guns for no apparent reason? You don't want your game to be Moonraker :)
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

The thing is, though, Nightbane isn't Call of Cthulhu or one of those other horror RPGs where the player characters are weak and frankly expected to die like flies. It's heroic horror, where the Big Bads may be unmentionable, nigh-invulnerable Things That Should Not Be, but the good guys are powerful in their own right and have the cool stuff (whether magic or technological) to bust up minions. Secret government conspiracy types having access to technology beyond the norm is very much in-genre, whether reverse-engineered from alien gadgetry, or developed right here on planet Earth.

Look at Gargoyles, for example (which IIRC was one of the big influences on Nightbane originally). I mean, if you can combine giant ******* robots with nigh-immortal demigods and reawakened 10th-century gargoyles and make a good story, it's something to respect. :D

That said, these energy weapons shouldn't be a dime a dozen - even for the Spook Squad, these would be prototypes, and with them being driven underground (mostly), they don't have the resources to build many more of them. Funny you should mention Stargate there...y'ever really stop to think about the kinds of weapons the average soldiers use in that show? That's right, normal old-fashioned slugthrowers. Even though the main characters of the show may run around with zats from time to time, but most of the time they stick to the usual conventional guns. You notice that they don't use energy weapons all the time - they're for special circumstances, since they can't be manufactured. Human heroes in Nightbane should be about the same (don't get me started on supernatural heroes getting their hands on them - they shouldn't, if only because I really don't see the Spooks trusting anybody that ain't human).

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Yeah but Bob, it's already a game where the heroes aren't weak. The big bads of the setting might be virtually gods but everything else goes down with sufficient firepower, and if there's one thing groups like the Spook Squad do before they send dudes out to a fight, it's ensure that they've got more than sufficient firepower.

You don't need laser beams to distinguish it from Call of Cthulhu. The fact that you've got a squad of commandos in full body armor with machineguns and rocket launchers instead of two librarians with a baseball bat and a .38 is already enough to distinguish Nightbane's "evil is among us and we must KICK ITS ASS" style from more depressing horror. Especially since if that squad of guys know what they're doing, they'll only lose if it turns out they're walking into an ambush.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

I think you missed the point. I was pointing out that in this kind of heroic horror genre, it's entirely within the feel of the setting for the Government Conspiracy Faction (whether good guys, bad guys, or somewhere in between) to have something with a little more panache than conventional firearms. Not that such things should be common, but that it's fine for this kind of group to have a touch of science fiction.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Beelzebozo wrote:I think you missed the point. I was pointing out that in this kind of heroic horror genre, it's entirely within the feel of the setting for the Government Conspiracy Faction (whether good guys, bad guys, or somewhere in between) to have something with a little more panache than conventional firearms. Not that such things should be common, but that it's fine for this kind of group to have a touch of science fiction.

Just depends on whether that touch really fits the groove. Energy weapons kinda go a little beyond "secret agents get all the best toys" heroic horror and into the realm of "right, we're going to pretend that guys in labcoats can invent anything as long as they say 'reverse the polarity' often enough" heroic horror.

Sort of like the difference between a spy/action/conspiracy movie where they have dramatic, not very realistic portrayals of stuff like satellite surveillance, nightvision goggles, hacking, stealth aircraft etc... and Moonraker :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Rallan wrote:
Beelzebozo wrote:I think you missed the point. I was pointing out that in this kind of heroic horror genre, it's entirely within the feel of the setting for the Government Conspiracy Faction (whether good guys, bad guys, or somewhere in between) to have something with a little more panache than conventional firearms. Not that such things should be common, but that it's fine for this kind of group to have a touch of science fiction.

Just depends on whether that touch really fits the groove. Energy weapons kinda go a little beyond "secret agents get all the best toys" heroic horror and into the realm of "right, we're going to pretend that guys in labcoats can invent anything as long as they say 'reverse the polarity' often enough" heroic horror.

Sort of like the difference between a spy/action/conspiracy movie where they have dramatic, not very realistic portrayals of stuff like satellite surveillance, nightvision goggles, hacking, stealth aircraft etc... and Moonraker :)

If you could do better why don't you?

I'm sorry, did you have anything to say that actually has a point?
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

Rallan wrote:Just depends on whether that touch really fits the groove. Energy weapons kinda go a little beyond "secret agents get all the best toys" heroic horror and into the realm of "right, we're going to pretend that guys in labcoats can invent anything as long as they say 'reverse the polarity' often enough" heroic horror.

Well, I'm really advocating a middle ground between the two. A bit beyond cutting-edge, but not enough that high technology edges out supernatural powers completely. A few primitive energy weapons and the like (the ones in the back of the main book are good precisely because of their clunkiness and low damage - despite that, they do have the advantage of bypassing natural AC). Even a gadgeteer-type hero from HU could work as a Spook Squad agent, given the right mix of gear (Hardware or whatever it's called - I don't actually read my Palladium books anymore).

And, uh, be nice and don't scare the kiddies. They don't know any better. :D

Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

You know...I almost had some sympathy for you up until that post.

Regardless, it's not just his opinion that the mechanics suck (take that as you will, whether I mean to put emphasis on "his" or "opinion"). Some of us know what we don't like and therefore buy books put out by companies other than Palladium, you know. And yes, some of us do write things for modern game systems (as opposed to the one Palladium uses), and do indeed do better than the people at Taylor do. So we're not just complaining here - and if we were, Palladium's message boards would be the place to do it, so they can fix the problems we have and possibly win us back as customers (not very likely at this point, considering their consistent lack of quality in recent years).

But back to the topic at hand, he wasn't complaining. He was just disagreeing with your opinion on what fits into the setting and what doesn't, and for some reason you got insulting. My question is, why do you get so hostile and change the subject when someone disagrees with you? Do you not have any points to defend your opinion with, that you have to resort to "oh yeah, well why don't you do better"?

By the way, please try putting some effort into typing instead of just randomly banging on the keys like a spastic monkey; it'll automatically make you look smarter.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Rallan wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Rallan wrote:

If you could do better why don't you?

I'm sorry, did you have anything to say that actually has a point?
yeah sence you know how Palladium should runs things WRITE A BOOK AND FIX THEM otherwise shut-up and stop telling everyone how to or things should be done! INFACT why don't you start your own company put palladium out and buy everything up and re-write it all and make a forutne. Just stop posting all your bullcrap about how the mechinces and everything sucks!

Throwing temper tantrums because other people don't like something as much as you do and aren't afraid to point out the bits they didn't like only makes you look silly dude. If you want forums where nobody's allowed to criticize what you like, I'd suggest opening a DeviantArt account :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Um, Shinitenshi? I did explain what I liked about Nightbane the last time some of you decided to have a big ol' cry about how I don't love it enough. And in this thread the entire gist of my argument has been that I don't think energy weapons should be thrown into Nightbane games unless you're giving it a sci-fi makeover because it clashes with what I do like about the game.

Seriously dude, suck it up already. If you want a forum where it's against the rules for anyone to post unless they think every Palladium book ever written deserves an eleven out of ten, you can run off and start your own Yahoo Group where nobody's allowed to subscribe until they've emailed you a ten page essay about how nothing ever published by Palladium could possibly be improved on. But don't waste everyone's time with whining about criticism, crappy personal attacks against critics, and half-assed attempts to lay down the law by declaring that only people who post gushing uncritical praise all day long should be allowed to post here.

Now have you got anything on topic to say, or did you just turn up on this thread to try and look badass?
Last edited by Rallan on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

Shinitenshi wrote:If you have something constructive to say about a system fine, but Rallan you constantly ***** and complain about Palladium. When asked what you do like about Palladium you never answer.

Probably because for some of us disillusioned old hands, most of what we did like has been buried under a mountain of Rifts-branded feces.

Bunny isn't throwing a tantrum because you don't like the same **** as him.

Actually...he was. Completely randomly, in the middle of a conversation about whether or not energy weapons and other science fiction-y stuff fits into the Nightbane world, he brought out the "oh yeah? Why don't you do better?" nonsense. You might want to actually read the topic instead of automatically jumping in on the side of the "poor kid the evil mean grumpy old men are picking on".

His point is if you don't like ANYTHING that palladium does then why are you here?

Which wasn't related to the conversation at all, as I just pointed out.

To the other guy who said Bunny's typing is like a spastic Monkey, not everyone is capable of having perfect grammer especially those who have disabilities. To attack someone for that is immature.

So...expecting someone to type in a way that another poster can read without having to run it through a decrypter is "immature"? You do realize that on the internet, the way you type is analogous to the way you speak in the real world, right? People form opinions about users' intelligence based on the way they type. Making a minimum effort at spelling, grammar, and breaking up thoughts should be expected. Someone shouldn't be surprised to be treated like a half-wit when they type like one.

I'm raising my expectations of people's behavior online, and I'm calling them on it when they can't act civilized.

By the way, people, please trim your quotes down. It's not that hard, and it makes it much easier to reply (and see the parts you're replying to) when you don't have to wade through a page and a half of a conversation.
Last edited by Beelzebozo on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Beelzebozo wrote:I'm raising my expectations of people's behavior online, and I'm calling them on it when they can't act civilized.

Not to be pedantic, but you're raising your demands of people's behavior online. Surely you've been around long enough to know that raising your expectations of online behavior is a bitterly disappointing exercise in futility :D
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler

I'm already bitter, so I suppose that'd have no effect on me.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

People cant play nice, I lock thread.

Next step warning and then bannings.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Nightbane®”