do Gypsies exist?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

do Gypsies exist?

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i asked a couple of GM's about if i could bring in a gypsy from the 'rifts genre to the HU2 games. other people had brought other types of cross overs .. i usually got asked 'can you bring a different kind of character in instead?'

then they never explained why they asked that. so are gypsies so overpowered as mere psi/mage chars that mutants with meta powers are stopped cold and fall out of hte skies dead at their feet .. ? .. or is it something else? ..

just wondering. any thoughts on this topic?
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Usually when this topic comes up in games it gets people riled on a cultural level more than a power level... I know WW got RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPED over their book.... and it might just be that sorta thing.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, you can include the Gypsie OCCs into the HU setting.

Not as chars rifted in, but gypsie ppl in the hu setting.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

huh.

I never found anyone with a problem with them.

Maybe they're just wary of anything RIFTS in general?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Personally, I would tend to disallow gypsies simply because so many people think they're so kewl for no real reason.
White Wolf poisoned the well by making badass gypsies who could go toe-to-toe with vampires and werewolves, and other games followed suit (though not as bad).

Basically, it's a backlash against all the gratuitous gypsy-worship that people spit out there.

I don't know if that's the problem in your situation, though.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i guess. but still, it was only a 'gifted one' .. the healer type.

but the answer was still 'nope' .. let in a zenith warp hunter .. let in a psi-ghost .. let in a bunch of other types and they WERE NOT over powered for an HU game .. *shrugs*

NOT gonna worry about it. sat and watched .. and chatted via IM to various players instead .. with comments 'too bad my char isn't there .. she coulea healed you up .. instead you're KO'd and missing an arm and bleeding unchecked ... ' that person later stated 'well i'm out of Hit Points .. so i'm out of here. no point in me sticking about and being a corpse .. bye'

the person told me later that the char wasn't anywhere near out of hitpoints and basically dragged his sorry *** out of the game cause the GM was into killing PC's ..

*shrugs* kinda sad after all. just glad i didn't try to join that game afterward. the Gm contacted me via IM .. ' hey .. you wanna join in now?'

yeah .. right .... next sucker please
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Before you include the mysterious psychic Gypsy character classes from Rifts, you might wanna ask a simple question to see if the idea is good or not.

What would your group do if you ran a HU campaign that included a Magical Negro OCC who gets mysterious psychic powers because black people are supernatural?
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Rallan wrote:Before you include the mysterious psychic Gypsy character classes from Rifts, you might wanna ask a simple question to see if the idea is good or not.

What would your group do if you ran a HU campaign that included a Magical Negro OCC who gets mysterious psychic powers because black people are supernatural?

sounds like a campain my GM ran where every one played national
sterotypes

Australians got WP bomarange free
British people got brew tea
and americans got WP gun of choice
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

i think you may have answered yourself as to why your gm didn't want the Gypsie. you wanted a healer and he wanted to kill pc's.
i'd pefer to use the fact that gypsies would have a hard time working outside their clan for long peroids of time. the gypsie culture is vastly different than most, and could actually be hard to role-play especially if you're playing a bunch heroes. some heroes wouldn't get along too well with a person who thinks that lieing, cheating, and stealing was not only ok but encouraged.
As a gm, personally, i would allow it, but with good reason and background. convince me basically. not too hard, I'm somewhat of a push over. The guy who taught me how to gm was very strict, worked well for him and his stories (which were fantastic, one you got over "you can't play that or that, or that.....) but i always saw the look on the player's faces, when their best character ideas were shot down time after time. hated that. I think a lot of gms lose sight that everyone is suppose to have fun and there should be room for compromise and both sides.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I think there is nothing wrong with playing healer types, but I would have to go over the OCC with the player to make sure everything was kosher. What a lot of GMs forget is that you are supposed to let the heroes win now and again. GMs who make it a battle between themselves and the players rather than a fun way to tell a story really get on my nerves personally.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I think there is nothing wrong with playing healer types, but I would have to go over the OCC with the player to make sure everything was kosher. What a lot of GMs forget is that you are supposed to let the heroes win now and again. GMs who make it a battle between themselves and the players rather than a fun way to tell a story really get on my nerves personally.

nobody ever playes a healer in my games. They NEED one, but never pick it.
For some reason, when you add the word "game" to something, it means compitition. nuff said grrrrrrrrrrrrr
:thwak: bad gm/player
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

well .. i think its just wrong to 'assume' a stereotype is correct and absolute. sorry.

i realize that the idea of thinking of 'people as people first' is a dying breed in the thoughts of most people. you overlook the fact that they want to .. i don't know .. want directions to the liquor store. they have a personal disability, they are visiting the town/city .. and are tired of getting laughed at by 'teens'.

yeah, it happened. was talking about this kinda thing with a 15 year old. the 'people are people first - race, disability and religion are secondary' .. and i had to answer the gentleman's question. she saw HOW i dealt with the gent, and then how i dealt with the teens after he moved off, then left the area. the teens shut up, and when they saw me later on the street, they sorta kept quiet.

so i guess 'assuming' gypsies are all thieves [for game purposes only], and not at all interested in keeping the clan alive and safe whatever the cost. you get bands of roving adventurers that see a gypsy camp .. then kill them all to get a few hundred credits of stuff. 'ah .. we should do this more often. get cheap gear' ... seen that kind of behavior in games as well. makes me ashamed to say i did that once, was a part of a group that did. mind you i was away from the keyboard when that part all happened. seems the GM decided to see 'who would attack unarmed people' .. i kinda fell into the trap. HE or should i say HIS character jumped up and 'saved the day .. saved the rest of the *insert race or whatever here*, and got ALL the special treasure. the rest of us sorta had to decide WHO was gonna 'die to save face for the group

think my char did it .. mainly was bored of the game and wanted out .. so i did it in a dramatic way. 'you want your pound of flesh? .. a life for the ones that were taken? .. i give you mine and my gear' .. took my laser pistol and blew the brains out from under the chin ..

then i waved to the others and logged off ...

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Yeah, the same with desert nomads, who were a type of gypsy. The need for survival prompts certain behavior. In some ways, gangs in America are gypsies in that respect. When the society you feed upon will not give you enough to survive, you must take more drastic measures. This is a common theme in many of my games in justifying why some of my criminal NPCs became such. Gypsies in history lived on land they did not own and stole what they needed to survive. That is a reality that translates very well into the gaming version of them.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

well .. perhaps one could put them down as an 'anti hero who's NOT a real criminal or villian'

:P

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Rallan wrote:Before you include the mysterious psychic Gypsy character classes from Rifts, you might wanna ask a simple question to see if the idea is good or not.

YOu mean like this?
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Steeler49er wrote:Theirs just no getting along with some people! Christians and Secularists are seldom gonna do much more than just end up stepping on the other. True, we Can get alone from time to time, and True, we don't All fit the sterieotypes laid out for us... But we more often do.

IMO, True Christians are Secularists.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:Theirs just no getting along with some people! Christians and Secularists are seldom gonna do much more than just end up stepping on the other. True, we Can get alone from time to time, and True, we don't All fit the sterieotypes laid out for us... But we more often do.

IMO, True Christians are Secularists.

Yeah but try seeing how far "render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's" gets you when you're talking to the folks who think America is God's Own Country :)
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

also keep in mind that perhaps the GM wants HU characters only.

Normally I do when I run games IRL.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:also keep in mind that perhaps the GM wants HU characters only.

Normally I do when I run games IRL.

Excpet that the GM allowed nonHu charcters, he just didn't allow a healer in.
And remember that it quickly became clear whent he game started that the Gm was a killerGM.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

thing is .. i choose to not game under that GM anymore.

i dislike the type that go out of their way to slaughter PC's just cause they killed the game or hurt the guy's feelings.

we're all sposed to be .. grown-up about it. not act like a 5 year old who got his favorite toy taken away for not sharing or by a bigger bully

far as i'm concerned .. its his loss .. i just lost out on a game, thats all

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've allowed a gypsy in an HU game as sort of a Black Cat/Zantana character, funny mysterious, a thief with some powers
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”