Flaming, Blood dripping magic weapon tattoos

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Flaming, Blood dripping magic weapon tattoos

Unread post by sHaka »

As the title suggests, I'm interested to know what you all think of this magic weapon tattoo combination. By the way, I'm not min/maxing, it just happened to come up in character creation.

Would a battle axe (2D8 SDC):

a) simply do 2D8 MD from the flaming element or

b) would the SDC double first from the blood dripping element before the MD conversion occurred allowing the the battle axe to inflict4D8 MD?

I'm tempted to say "b" myself, but the fact that the blood dripping power only doubles SDC, you could argue that "a" is correct depending on the order the powers appled.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Either way... weapon now does double damage in MDC.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Does it actually say that the blood-dripping tattoo only doubles SDC damage? Because I'd say that tat weapon would do 4d8 MD, but it would also count as 2 active tattoos whenever in use.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Yes, it would make it do double SDC which is then MDC.

however, that's 2 active tattoos right there
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, it would make it do double SDC which is then MDC.

Yes this is what I was getting at.

Sorry Braden, I don't think my original post got this across sufficiently - the discussion that came up at home was whether the dripping element doubled the SDC before the MD was applied if it was merely an "SDC doubler".

I think, like you guys, we'll go for b) - cheers!
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

sHaka wrote:

Sorry Braden, I don't think my original post got this across sufficiently - the discussion that came up at home was whether the dripping element doubled the SDC before the MD was applied if it was merely an "SDC doubler".

I do belive what he is talking about is a single tattoo that has both the blood & fire elements in it.

In rifts, If, such a tattoo is possible, then it would do double the damage listed under weapons simple, in MD.

But here is a quandery, if such weapon is leagl, then what damage would it do on the PF world? triple damage or quad-damage?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
sHaka
Hero

Unread post by sHaka »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
sHaka wrote:

I do belive what he is talking about is a single tattoo that has both the blood & fire elements in it.

In rifts, If, such a tattoo is possible, then it would do double the damage listed under weapons simple, in MD.

But here is a quandery, if such weapon is leagl, then what damage would it do on the PF world? triple damage or quad-damage?

It is a legal combination - the book (WB2, BoM) states that more than one magical element can be added to a particular weapon - flaming/crossed; winged/blood-dripping etc.

What the result would mean for PFRPG, i'm not sure.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I would say that in the Palladium Fantasy world, it would still only do 4d8 damage, but it would register as magic, allowing it to hurt those things immune to standard weapons.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

The tattoos Blood dripping flaming would work but counts as 2 tattoos for activation
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Talavar wrote:I would say that in the Palladium Fantasy world, it would still only do 4d8 damage, but it would register as magic, allowing it to hurt those things immune to standard weapons.

No Duhh.......with eather one of the MAGIC enhancments it would hurt those only hurt by magic. Though my memory is fuzzy on weather the weapons simple would hurt them.

Marc. so the bloody flame sword would take 2APM to activate? or?
(working w/o my WB2 )
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Talavar wrote:I would say that in the Palladium Fantasy world, it would still only do 4d8 damage, but it would register as magic, allowing it to hurt those things immune to standard weapons.

No Duhh.......with eather one of the MAGIC enhancments it would hurt those only hurt by magic. Though my memory is fuzzy on weather the weapons simple would hurt them.

(working w/o my WB2 )

Rude much? Well, I'll return a "duh," as simple weapons, though created by magic, don't count as magic, same as those made by a conjuror.

And as to whether either (duh) of those 2 enhancements makes a weapon count as magic is somewhat up in the air. Flaming clearly does, but for blood dripping there's no official ruling. Since the damage remains SDC, I would say it doesn't make it magical enough to hurt vampires, or were-creatures, or any of the other things actually immune to normal damage.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

(working w/o my WB2 )

no it just means that it counts as two tattoos both for number of tattoos on oneself (towards the 6 limit if not a T-man) and number of tattoos active. IIRC there is a limit as to how many can be active at one time.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Talavar wrote:snip....

, but for blood dripping there's no official ruling. Since the damage remains SDC, I would say it doesn't make it magical enough to hurt vampires, or were-creatures, or any of the other things actually immune to normal damage.

Vamps would be damaged by the bloodly sword sence its magic weapons tatt. Remember that vamps & Werepeople are HP creatures that when hit with a magical sword that does SD, they take the SD to their HP. So the bloody sword would do the same double damage to vamps & werepeople as to other mortals. Yes, this explination can be considered your offical notice becasue I'm just saying what the rules state.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:Battle Axe (Palladium Fantasy RPG) 3D6 SDC
Dripping Blood 6D6 SDC
Silver x 2 vs Vampires, Werewolves 12D6 or 1D6X10 +10
Flaming 6D6 MD, or 1D6X10+10 MD vs. creatures vulnerable to silver. :D
1 Action to activate
counts as two tattoos out of six that can be activated.

Uhhh....no...you can't have a silver magic tattoo and have it work as silver...just a normal weapon, or magic weapon.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:so you can't have a silver simlpe weapon???

No. nor iron, bronze, wood, or any other metal in parciular. heck, it's not even really metal, it's just solidified ectoplasem.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

No. nor iron, bronze, wood, or any other metal in parciular. heck, it's not even really metal, it's just solidified ectoplasem.

Not even if you specifically use silver ink in the tat? What a gyp...
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:Battle Axe (Palladium Fantasy RPG) 3D6 SDC
Dripping Blood 6D6 SDC
Silver x 2 vs Vampires, Werewolves 12D6 or 1D6X10 +10
Flaming 6D6 MD, or 1D6X10+10 MD vs. creatures vulnerable to silver. :D
1 Action to activate
counts as two tattoos out of six that can be activated.

Making a silver weapon, not against the rules, but either is in the rules. So in the end it is the GM call. Though I think most would say no.

Also it would only be 9D6 damage to creatures vulnerable to silver. X2 means add the base damage to base damage and the same for the second.

3D6+3D6(first X2) + 3D6(sec x2) = 9D6.
So really x2 x2 is x3 not x4. I don't know if I agree with it, but it is the rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

asajosh wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Not even if you specifically use silver ink in the tat? What a gyp...

Nope. Not even then.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”