Casting in EBA

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

2bent2
D-Bee
Comment: War, war never changes...

Casting in EBA

Unread post by 2bent2 »

hi folks profesional forum lurker here, got a question on casting in full EBA. Do you just incur the 20% increase in the PPE cost then roll on the cart to see the additional effects? i know that natural materials don't affect casting but on the EBA it is not as clear.

I was under the impression it was prohibitied all to gether but i can find noting in the RUE to support this other the quote, Rue pg 188 "Wearing Body armor from a full suit of medieval chain or plate armor to modern day environmental armor, blocks and interferes with the use of magic. A sorcerer can not wear more than partial armor, ideally never more then a third of this body, never more then half."

it then goes on to list the penalty for wearing armor on more the 50% of the body.
so am i just thinking of a previous rule? is it just the penalties i have listed?

thanks
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

There is no prevention, 20% increase only.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
2bent2
D-Bee
Comment: War, war never changes...

Unread post by 2bent2 »

Rue pg 188 top right hand collum
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Casting in EBA

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Let's see....taking this back a step. In the other settings and in rifts 1.0 mage could wear body armor made out of natural materials w/o having a casting penalty. It is only Metal and Man-made materials that caused a mage to have penalties due to the amount of Metal he was wearing.

Now seance virtually all EBA are made out of metal or man-made materials, they streamlined the body armor rules in rue.

In Arzino, they list some wooden MDC armor. So not ALL armors give mages' penalties. However the wooden armors wear not EBAs, but that is no problem for mages with AoI or other armor or enviromental spells. This goes for TW armor as well, that they are sufficiently magical that they don't give the +20% PPE penalty for casting while wearing it.

"Is there any armor that will block the wearing mage from casting?" Yep, non-magical Power Armor.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[color=darkred]Let's see....taking this back a step. In the other settings and in rifts 1.0 mage could wear body armor made out of natural materials w/o having a casting penalty. It is only Metal and Man-made materials that caused a mage to have penalties due to the amount of Metal he was wearing.

Now seance virtually all EBA are made out of metal or man-made materials, they streamlined the body armor rules in rue.

In the original Rifts book, there were NO casting penalties for any armor (except that you couldn't cast at all if you're in power armor).

This goes for TW armor as well, that they are sufficiently magical that they don't give the +20% PPE penalty for casting while wearing it.

Is that rule listed officially somewhere?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Okaaaaayyyyy......
Rifts 1.1 had the penties for casting through metal armor. 1.1 is about the time Triax was printed.

The PW book 2 has TW armor that the UWW has TW/Magic armor. That their Mages have no trouble casting through. Might be mis remembering...its been a while (Years) sence I read that book.

I really don't remember this rule too well becasue vertully all my mage chars have some sort of magical protection.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Okaaaaayyyyy......
Rifts 1.1 had the penties for casting through metal armor. 1.1 is about the time Triax was printed.

I don't remember the Mage Armor rule coming into effect until FoM or SoT.

The PW book 2 has TW armor that the UWW has TW/Magic armor. That their Mages have no trouble casting through. Might be mis remembering...its been a while (Years) sence I read that book.

I really don't remember this rule too well becasue vertully all my mage chars have some sort of magical protection.

I tend to just think that CJ ignored the casting penalties for armor (if they were around when the PW books were written).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Well, Cyborg I don't remember intell PFRPG I got like 5 years after playing so.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

2bent2 wrote:hi folks profesional forum lurker here, got a question on casting in full EBA. Do you just incur the 20% increase in the PPE cost then roll on the cart to see the additional effects? i know that natural materials don't affect casting but on the EBA it is not as clear.

I was under the impression it was prohibitied all to gether but i can find noting in the RUE to support this other the quote, Rue pg 188 "Wearing Body armor from a full suit of medieval chain or plate armor to modern day environmental armor, blocks and interferes with the use of magic. A sorcerer can not wear more than partial armor, ideally never more then a third of this body, never more then half."

it then goes on to list the penalty for wearing armor on more the 50% of the body.
so am i just thinking of a previous rule? is it just the penalties i have listed?

thanks

I play according to the good old RMB (old version) where there was no penalty for spellcaster wearing EBA :P :D.

If you not not like a rule - change it or leave it.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I'm another who ignores the new "no-casting in EBA" rule. Non-environmental MD body armour shouldn't exist, because anything with an area effect (missiles, grenades, plasma, fire, acid, etc.) would get in the spaces in between pieces of armour, no matter how small, and kill the wearer.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i think the days of 'mages in robes casting spells and not being allowed to wear any kind of armor other than magical items' is passed. That was AD'nD. be it 2ed. or 3ed. or even 3.5 ed. Rifts isn't that system. nuff said on that topic.

personally i can see a mage wearing almost enclosed body armour, but should have the hands free so that they can make the appropriate hand gestures [if any] without complications. ever try to make complex fingering movements inside hockey gloves? .. a little extreme and not always on par with what is needed. nuff said there as well.

but thats me. TW powered armour should only be worn by mages that KNOW the spells in the unit or not be able to access them period. if its THEIR unit, they need to know HOW to recharge it. thus they can't have speels in the unit that can't be used and recharged. makes the units 'unique' then, and most likely pricey for the people that want to take the mage in question out. but hey .. thats just my thoughts.

besides that .. i like the idea of the MPPA.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

shiiv-a wrote:i think the days of 'mages in robes casting spells and not being allowed to wear any kind of armor other than magical items' is passed. That was AD'nD. be it 2ed. or 3ed. or even 3.5 ed. Rifts isn't that system. nuff said on that topic.

:ok:

Yeah! Take your stupid armor penalties back to D&D!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”