Creating a Scroll via Ritual

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yep. It's a good way to combine.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

Gravitus Everlast wrote:Priests can also read and write scrolls. And I figure it would logicly be a ritual to write a scroll, I imagine it takes a bit of effort to imbue PPE into parchment and make sure you don't mess up on the writing and symbols.

There's actually a spell for the writing of scrolls. Most priests cannot cast it, save through prayers of intervention.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Creating a Scroll via Ritual

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gadrin wrote:so it looks like if a scroll is created via ritual, the mage with Create Scroll spell doesn't necessarily need to know the spell, the other(s) can supply it ?

magical dictation :lol:

Any spell can be done as a ritual.

This does NOT mean it works any differently than a regular casting, only that it is done as a ritual.

Doing as you say requires a variant of the Create Scroll spell to be made per TTGD.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
gadrin wrote:so it looks like if a scroll is created via ritual, the mage with Create Scroll spell doesn't necessarily need to know the spell, the other(s) can supply it ?

This does NOT mean it works any differently than a regular casting, only that it is done as a ritual.

Doing as you say requires a variant of the Create Scroll spell to be made per TTGD.
Welll....

remember that Rituals often get more Spell Strength (read; a binus to the Spell vs. someone trying to save agaunst it) than if that same spell is cast normally.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Is that spell strength kept when the scroll is later used?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

cornholioprime wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Welll....

remember that Rituals often get more Spell Strength (read; a binus to the Spell vs. someone trying to save agaunst it) than if that same spell is cast normally.

Yes....

That dosn't mean the effect changes, that's all I said.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

Scrolls have consistently, since 1st edition PF, needed only literacy in the language they are written in to read them.

Some specific magics, however, make reading scrolls easier, especially if you, yourself, are not literate (either period, or in the language in question).

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

And lets you read some things not covered by the Eye of Knowledge... things that are not properly languages.

All Palladium Articles
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

I still want to know if this is correct:
If you cast a Create Scroll normally, the spell on it is a strength 12 when the scroll is later cast (read in a couple seconds).
If you cast a Create Scroll via ritual, the spell on it is a strength 16 when the scroll is later cast (read in a couple seconds).

If so then why would you ever not create a scroll as a ritual?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Library Ogre

GhostKnight wrote:I still want to know if this is correct:
If you cast a Create Scroll normally, the spell on it is a strength 12 when the scroll is later cast (read in a couple seconds).
If you cast a Create Scroll via ritual, the spell on it is a strength 16 when the scroll is later cast (read in a couple seconds).

If so then why would you ever not create a scroll as a ritual?

Time, is about all I can think of. If you need a couple spells to go off simultaneously, Create Scroll will allow you to do that. However, I would say that it's one of those that's always going to be a Ritual under normal use.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Not quite. Rituals can include other participants, while invocations cannot. Rituals, however, don't require others.

All Palladium Articles
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

gadrin wrote:no I mean, do all the spells in the Scroll Ritual have to be Rituals ? In other words Create Scroll is 11th level, but Cloud of Smoke is only 1st.

I don't think so, but, hey....

No.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”