Anti-hero?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Anti-hero?

Unread post by Larsen »

So what actually defines someone as an anti-hero?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Ann anti-hero also typically will defend one group at the expense of another, sort of being selective about who he will defend. Anti-heroes will defend mutants but shoot at cops who might be arresting a mutant to liberate the mutant from "unjust prosecution" or maltreatment due to prejudice.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

They tend to take the offense and usually have no problem using deadly force and justify any "bad" things they may do for "the cause". Punisher is a great example. Magog and his super group in the Kingdom Come books is also another.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

macksting wrote:I posted the dictionary definition alone precisely because I found it surprisingly, fascinatingly vague. It seems to apply nicely to characters who, rather than being dark and terrifying, might be merely... terrified.

this is true
Shinji Ikari is just as much of an example of an anti hero
as the punisher is. Not all anti heros are bad mofo's trying
to clean the street some of them are flawed human beings
trying to do the right thing and arnt really up to the task
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Traditionally an anti-hero is someone who uses almost villainous methods in the pursuit of a noble goal; that could include murder, lethal force, torture, blackmail, etc. Think the Punisher, Wolverine, some interpretations of Batman....

Arthur Dent is still a type of anti-hero by the dictionary definition because he has none of the typical "heroic" attributes, but is still in the hero's role.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I've always viewed anti-heroes as someone who basically fights fire with fire.

Basically an anti-hero will stoop to the level of a villain to get to a villain.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”