Charm Gem

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Charm Gem

Unread post by Jefffar »

Okay folks, quick call for input here:

The Charm Gem (Black Vault, pg 36) does it need to be in a visable place for its effect to work?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Don't know the gem your talking about, but it sounds interesting. Could you elaborate? (For those of us that haven't seen it?)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The gem essentially grants the bearer a combination of th Charismatic Aura and Hypnotic suggestion powers - provided the target is in sight of the bearer. If the bearer is out of sight the powers only remain in effect for a few more minutes.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Jefffar wrote:The gem essentially grants the bearer a combination of th Charismatic Aura and Hypnotic suggestion powers - provided the target is in sight of the bearer. If the bearer is out of sight the powers only remain in effect for a few more minutes.

Well Jefffar, I'd say it could work either way. It would depend on your preference. It sounds pretty similar to a pendant worn by a certain halfling in a series of books by a guy who created a certain race of elves in one of that other gaming scenarios realms. (Whew! That was a long ways to go to make a point!) But I think it's use would be more subtle if it was allowed be used from concealment. So... your call, really.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well with one of the effects being a raising of the weilder's PB of 8 points, I don't think subtlety is a key part of it's effects.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

It never points out the gem has to be visable at the time.

Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

Unread post by Neorealist »

Jefffar wrote:It never points out the gem has to be visible at the time.

That is a good point.

There are a couple of indications that the gem is generally placed in item's that are usually prominently displayed, true; but it doesn't definitively state how it is used in such a way as to clarify your question either way.

So i'd guess it's whatever it is you and/or your GM are comfortable with really.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

well .. you want an opinion .. here's mine for what its worth

for hte bearer the gemstone in question does not need to be in view for it to work .. BUT for others to be effected, then yes it would have to be

the lingering 'aura' a person has from the gem in question wears off after a couple of minutes sounds about right.

bearer doesn't want to be disturbed and 'suggests' that the invaders leave the area and forget how they came into the chamber ..
result - invaders leave, bearer escapes before the invaders recover their wits and attempt another try to regain said gem.

but hey, i don't have the book so i could be wrong.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”