Merits and Flaws

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I've actually used this as a secondary skill but I guess it could be a merit as well. Learn to use TW and other magic items normally reserved for pskers. Also the various ley line walker ablites other than spells.

Sense Ley line meirt
Where I would have it as a skill you can purchase you could have it as a intutive merit

Reissit pain

Tough mind +3 to all possesion and mental psionic and magical attacks.

Argavate the supernatual something about you argavates supernatural monsters and people that read auras

Say Johnny is belives in man's divine right ot regain its homeland from enemy occupation. Uncaring Unflinching doing what needs o be done in the name of the C.S. letting right and wrong be detreined by philoshphers and scholars. His belief is so strong that it exudes through his aura to the point his faith in the CS actually is palaple to the supernatural. They sense his hate and respond in turn So if there are six C.S. troops all of equal importantce in the fight he will always be the one to be attacked.

However as he increases in level lesser supernatural enitites must make a horror check to face the purity of his conviction in the C.S.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

jackylcale wrote:Some basic ones, and some...creative ones
**** Cheney: Every time you roll a natural 1 when using ranged weaponry, your friends had better have autododge, and it hits the FACE, each and every time.
Stick Cheney: Same thing, but in melee combat.
Merit: Horror factor: Even though they're (supposedly) a human being just like you or I, something about this person makes you feel as if you're sitting in a room alone with Charles Manson or Jeffery Dahmer, or even Ann Coulter. Natural Horror factor of 10, +1 at levels 3,5,9,12,and 15

I. Cannot. Breathe. Too Funny! Have Just Peed Leg!
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Well...for starters, I think that the PC generation in Rifts (and PB in general) is detailed and variable enough to account for the concepts of flaws and merits...

And...well...PB isn't a d20 system, or a White Wolf system...so why would they want to incorporate merits and flaws?
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Well...mostly because there's already enough "revisions" being made to the game and I don't want to make more excuses for the printing of new books...

If you want to do it in house, that's on you...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

YEp, House ruling this....

I like the idea, gives PC's and NPC's a little more variety. This idea will help my mages of the Dark new world..

at anyrate I have a few ideas..

Flaw/Merit:
Magical/Psychic element
THis makes a spell caster have an element in ALL his spells regardless of the type. Many guilds and sects have a standard type they use to identify there members. spells such Armour of Ithan will be in that 'material'.

This element is a material, natural or otherwise that is created as they cast spells.

Desert mages often have sand as an element. This affects the mage by making there magic more effective in the presensce sand. This flaw/Merit can not be switched off.

Magical/Psychic theme
A spellcasters spells and effect have a certain theme. As the Magical/Psychic element it can not be turned off or hidden. All spells and powers have a set theme...Animation, Military, etc.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The problem that I see a merit and flaw system having to overcome is what "currency" to use... what do you charge characters that makes purchasing merits and flaws worthwhile, but not overpowering?

I tend to use skills for non xCC psychic powers, turning them into something of a default merit system; the loss of a skill is the cost for gaining psychic ability, and for another for each psychic power. However, with some of the suggested abilities, you're looking at some pretty expensive costs... how many skills would you wager "MDC creature" be worth? Would you give up 4 skills to be MDC? How about 5?

By all means, design the system. But keep in mind that merits, in buying them, have to bite a bit... you have to feel the opportunity cost, or they're too cheap. Flaws, on the other hand, can't be "free points"... never give out a flaw that's something everyone would take because it's what they'd do anyway.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Rimmerdal
Knight

Could you clarify what you mean in terms of theme? Does that mean that the visual manifestation of their spells always has that sort of theme??

Yep, a mages magic visually looks like his alignment/personality. For example a mage has tendency to backstab people. I would rule his magic has "knives and daggers" in its theme. His spells might cost more PPE, but he'll get benefits to having a theme. Sure it's a bit work but well worth it for PBP/PBEM.

Some benefits the Knife Theme might have included:
-So his Spell that project would take the form of knives that are thrown.

-Spells causing damage to an area are mass of knives that in the middle of the target area and fly out at targets. As GM I would reduce damage but I would allow him to target individuals in the blast radius. The Knives will coloured or affect as per spell. Say a fire spell would have a burning blade and so forth.

-His CoA would be a bed of knives holding the target down, Again a little damage may result. (As per knife)

In a military theme, a throwing stones spell would have a large sonic boom report, and a sort of muzzle flash type effect, similar to a railgun?

For this I would have area damage similar to Artillery or Air strikes. Chameon would be similar to camo and such. So yeah your Throwing stones effect would fit. As GM I might allow a silent version similar to a sniper or marksman striking.
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

jackylcale wrote:That's the main challenge of it for sure Mark. The flaws have to have some "bite" to them. Otherwise you're just giving out power and ability for free.

The stuff I've posted so far, including any point values I've assigned, are just off the top of my head. Once I'm finished the brainstorming phase, I'll get to the down and dirty of balancing the system out.

I don't mind giving out a few merit points for addictions, insanities, or other intense/effective personality quirks, even if the player's combat/skills/primary attributes don't really suffer that much. The reason for that is that all of those insanities and addictions are going to encourage a whole lot of non-combat role-playing. Non-Combat role-playing is where the players and their characters can really start to shine, and create a memorable experience. If letting the character start with an indestructible sword that does 4d6 megadamage can effectively encourage that kind of play, I don't see it as a loss. It's not that powerful of a weapon anyhow.

How about a certain attribute cost? Most GM's allow a trade of up to 3 attributes to be swap points to another attribute.

Instead of giving that attribute point to another attribute use to buy a Merit or flaw?
taalismn wrote:

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Telekinetic Acceleration Attack.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Rimmerdal
Knight

jackylcale wrote:True that, I don't think I've ever even looked through a copy of the old gurps system, I got the idea from playing the old white wolf games, and ars magica (was that a white wolf game too?).

White wolf has a few good insirations. I have a few clan books at home, and I have gotten a few nasty ideas from them.
taalismn wrote:

Return to “Rifts®”