If their was to be a new Nightbane Book?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Main book - Nightbane focused
Source 1 - Humanity Focused
Source 2 - Magic Focused
Source 3 - Nightland/Lords Focused
Source 4 - Forces of Light

I think what we need is something to give the good guys a fighting chance at this point. Also while Between the Shadows did have a good amount of focus on the human side of things, I would like to delve a little deeper into what the daily reality is for normal humans in a post dark day earth.

Actually maybe we should have a revised between the shadows, that still gave us the spook squad / psionic stuff, included more of the happenings on the real earth, and make the astral plane and dreamstream into a dimension book. Since the illusion that those two gems belong to the nightbane setting is almost silly.

sorry about the off-topic rambling . . . anyways I'd like to see a forces of light book, probably staring the guardians.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I also want to New World books,See how other countries are doing under the Nightlords and what Resistance forces are against them ther.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Honestly? I'd like to see Shadows of Light...the local store said they never saw a single copy before it was canceled.

Last time I bothered to look on ebay there was one for ~$100.

I think if they have a new Nightbane book on the future projects list they should release Shadows of Light again. Or offer it as a PDF online for a small, yet ultimately profitable (since it shouldn't take many man-hours to make the PDF for it) price.

However, with that said, any new Nightbane books I like to see more morphus tables, more talents, new and interesting RCCs and OCCs. HL&S, new and interesting organizations, etc.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Prodigal wrote:Shadows of Light ???????

Never heared of it, is it the Nightbane "Laslo Agency".

Look at the very top sticky in this forum. It's book 5 of the Nightbane series, they only printed like 2500 copies and then it was canceled because of the financial issues Palladium had a while back.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it really exsists, but it only had 1 printing before being canceled due to bad sales and questionable game material at best.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Pretty sure I've got one by my bed. I was reading it last night.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

it really exsists, but it only had 1 printing before being canceled due to bad sales and questionable game material at best.

So does the new book.

You're referring it's existence, not that it's game material is questionable. From what I understand, it should rock.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Josh Hilden wrote:SOL had some really great stuff, and some so/so stuff.

I think it gets bashed way to much.

Well, you know what they say about opinions... :)

I think there was a measure of good material in the book (such as the Nocturnes info and some of the ADA psychic classes), but at least 60% could probably stand to fade into non-existance (Athanatos, Tophet, Strigoi, etc.). Who knows, maybe parts of SoL will be reprinted in future books...
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Everyone has one and Warwolf's stinks. :D

Hey, I don't know about you, but I wash mine daily. :P

What? My opinion, of course. :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Not every GM wants to buy a book of NPCs they could have rolled up better themselves.

Also not every GM wants their rules lawyer player(s) seeing the stats before encountering them in the game. Players tend to read/browse all the books.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

bought all the Nightbane-books so far and would like to see one or more Worldbooks...more on the US, but also Europe, Asia, Africa...

PB, please, dont do a book where there is not much background / campaign ideas but even more OCCs, Talents, Spells and stuff like that...there are enough of those in the books already published!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

LostOne wrote:Also not every GM wants their rules lawyer player(s) seeing the stats before encountering them in the game. Players tend to read/browse all the books.

Do what I do. Ask your players not to read certain portions of the books. If they are good players they will heed such a request. If they have already read said portions, hopefully they are enough of a veteran gamer to leave outside knowledge where it came from (i.e. no metagaming).

If they can not or will not do either, there are still a couple of choices. First, don't play with such a person. If that doesn't appeal to you for whatever reason, you still have an ace-in-the-hole. As the GM you can completely disregard or modify any part of what is in the books, just the knowledge that you can and will do that means your metagaming players can't be 100% sure of their knowledge. :demon:

Petite Elfgirl wrote:Yeah, you're right there. But by that same token, not every player/GM wants to see the mystery destroyed or have ideas they came up with on their own shattered by canon.

First let me state that this is not directed at any particular individual, but rather a general statement addressing a pet-peeve of mine.

You know, I have a fundamental problem with people that take the latter part of that viewpoint. Any time you play a role-playing game that still has material being developed for it, you take the chance of what you have done in the past being incongruent with what is published after the fact. Is it a small downer when that happens? Sure, everyone likes to "get it right" and nobody should care for ret-conning. However, here's the kicker: you can ignore later material for the sake of keeping your game consistant. It may not be a perfect solution, but it's usually better than scrapping a game. :)

And if it's still too much for someone to handle that what they come up with might be contradicted in later source material, maybe they should only play dead systems... or find a new hobby. :?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

. wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:I would love to see a world book for Nightbane Canada.

Considering NightBreed (The movie) took place in Alberta, I'd say Cannada is prime for a book.

Let's get something straight here... Nightbreed is in NO WAY connected to Nightbane other than it may have been one of C.J.'s inspirations. Therefore, just because that movie took place in Canada isn't exactly a valid argument for a Nightbane: Canada book.

Anyway, here's my view on world material. While I do want to see material for other places in the Nightbane world, I don't want to see the setting become a dark, S.D.C. version of Rifts either. So, you hopefully won't be seeing Nightbane: Underseas or the like. Rather, world material should probably focus on regions that need to be described in relation to the events of the setting.

Now, should there be a Nightbane Canada book? Sure, as long as people have some good ideas that will offer something to the setting other than "yeah, Canada is pretty much like the U.S. only colder." Of course, I think areas like Western Europe, China and Russia, the jungles of South America, and the deserts of Africa and the Middle East get my creativity going a little bit easier than our northern neighbors. But that's just me. :)
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

. wrote:NO!!! Realy? Hadnt guessed!
Thanx fer that insight!

Oh, and by the way, there really is no need for this kind of retort here. Mephisto was making a simple statement, same as you were. :-?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

behave
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

. wrote:GEE, Thanks for that FYI there Wolfy Poo! But I am totaly and completely aware of this fact and am in no way in NEED of your Help to (As you put it)
Warwolf wrote:get something straight!

And as to your intence need to butt your nose into any issues that I and Mephisto may be having, I fail to see how the putting in of your "Two Cents" has in any sort of way shape or form help the situation!
Have you seen it help yet?...Yes?, No?...

Mephisto could have phrased his comment in a lot less of a confrontational way.
He was not (Again, as you put it) "making a simple statement" the same as I. If you can't see his comment as a being just a little to overtly snide for the boards, well than, that say more about you than it does about me!

A simple statement is along the lines of;
"I like Wyoming and Montana for the same reasons you posted"
or "I find Wyoming and Montana to be equally great places...you thoughts?"
Or "I'd like to add the states of Wyoming and Montana, to that list!"

If you had felt my comment needed a curtiquing, than next time you could try an IM, or tonning you yourSelf down a little so as to not look the same as him. Try also Not taking anothers offence, thus getting yourself involved.

Or, better yet, if you feel this need coming over you again in the future, and you know your not gonna be able to resist the need to be self-rightious youself, than may I suggest Not posting!

Okay let me enlighten you on a couple of points that you seem to be mistaken on. First of all, I was not offering you "my help," but rather pointing out a flaw in your argument and then offering a suggestion about your online etiquette.

Second, this is a public message board so 1) I wanted to make sure anyone reading this wasn't mislead by your statements and 2) I have every right to respond to any post that is added to these forums (so enough of the "sticking your nose in" argument). In addition, as a member of this community of fans I try to help the mods keep a relatively peaceful place without necessarily directly involving them in a disagreement.

Third, as far as handling the situation in a PM, public correction of such matters can serve as an example/reminder to other posters to try and stay calm and engage in rational discussion/debate rather than petty bickering.

Four, yes I have seen my "two cents" solve several misunderstandings and disagreements around here, as I'm sure at least a few of these guys and gals can attest to. That's not being self-righteous, it's called conflict resolution. :)

Five, it seems I was completely correct about the intent of Mephisto's post. So, in regards to your statement of "me not being able to see how snide his comment was," what does this (in turn) say about you? Maybe next time you could attempt to gain a clarification rather than assume the worst and respond in-kind.

Six, I did not take offence to your comment, nor was I being self righteous. I was just delivering a friendly reminder to be civil with the others around here. Most of us are fans and probably have more in common with one-another than not. Maybe consider that next time.

Seven, sorry to disappoint you, but I won't be going away anytime soon. :lol:

In conclusion, I'll give you credit for having the character to apologize to the person you lashed out at originally. With that, I accomplished what I set out to do. 8-)

PS: As far as NMI... he told me what it was once upon a time. I do still remember that it was the name of his first Nightbane character. :ok:
Last edited by Warwolf on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Dracurian wrote:questionable game material?
Is this a reference to the more adult orientation of Nightbane?

8-)

Somehow I get the feeling that nothing Palladium ever publishes will be more "adult" than the occasional S word that Kevin Siembieda misses during proofreading and plenty of fanservice in the art.

I mean it'd be nice to see Palladium put out a bit of product that's a tad more sophisticated and mature, especially in a dark horror game like Nightbane, but I don't get the feeling it'd look all that impressive after whatever's submitted goes across Big Kev's desk.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

. wrote:But as to your long diatribe, I'm sorry but I couldn't read it all...It IS, after all, kinda lengthy. To retort, You didn't succeed, you only pissed me off and kept the argument going...And here you are now, just restarting it when it was Dead.

My appologizing was due, not to you and your "Elightening" speaking abilitys :lol: but due, rather, to "Mephisto" correcting me.
You are still being an agitant, You are still under the beleif that it you Duty to tell others how to behave, and you've still failed to help matters.

Well, then allow me to paraphrase. I was correct and simply pointing out that you were wrong to respond in the way you did. I WAS trying to be relaxed without blowing the whole thing out of proportion, but you killed that potential with your response to my original comments.

As far as the argument being "dead," your apology specifically excluded my response to your original post leading me to defend my position. As for now, you've demonstrated your character quite clearly on this thread so this is no longer worth my time and effort. In the future, I'll simply use the report feature and let NMI or one of the other mods deal with your particular brand of behavior. :|
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

It sure is / was an interesting thread, so why not just delete the flamewar-postings, give the guy(s) a warning and continue the discussion on topic?
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I hope for a book that is on Nightbane and Nightlord in other Countries.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

. wrote:PB & Jam Q&A:
Question posted From;"."
NMI...What does NMI mean?
From "."
Non-maskable Interrupt.

Non-Maskable Interrupt
(NMI) An IRQ 7 on the PDP-11 or 680x0 or the NMI line on an 80x86. In contrast with a priority interrupt (which might be ignored, although that is unlikely), an NMI is *never* ignored.
(1994-12-13)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I like a world overview book with what the Night Lords plans for each part of the globe. Some more details on the Night Lands and more art of Night Lords, Nightbanes, Guardians and combat art. I love the scene in the Night Lands book of the battle on top of the church.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

. wrote:Now I'm wondering by looking at the thread, just what is "Adult"?
Can some of you list some adult theams you would like to see in PB.

Well it's not so much the adult themes per se that'd be nice, just that the vast bulk of Palladium's writing is sorta the teensiest bit bowldlerized. A product doesn't have to be drippin with sex, violence, and profanity to be good, but a product that has to go out of its way to be as clean as most of Palladium's stuff is a product that's gonna suffer for it.

Plus there's generally a lack of nuance and subtlety in Palladium. Nightbane is about as close as a Palladium game's ever come to having elements that are engimatic and mysterious, and it's still a very straightforward black-and-white game where the enigmatic and mysterious bits are just backstory and aren't expected to get in the major themes of monstery-looking good guys heroically kicking the pants off evil demons.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Rallan wrote:Plus there's generally a lack of nuance and subtlety in Palladium. Nightbane is about as close as a Palladium game's ever come to having elements that are engimatic and mysterious, and it's still a very straightforward black-and-white game where the enigmatic and mysterious bits are just backstory and aren't expected to get in the major themes of monstery-looking good guys heroically kicking the pants off evil demons.

That may be the way you or your GM has run it, but that isn't so in my campaign or most others I've heard about. :|
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Re: If their was to be a new Nightbane Book?

Unread post by BillionSix »

I have said this before, but I would like two more Nightbane books. What I would refer to as the "fluff book" and the "crunch book"

The fluff book would basically be Nightbane worldwide. I wouldn't make one book per area, like Rifts does, because a) Nightbane is not the big seller Rifts is, and b) Nightbane is closer to the real world, so less detail is necessary. The reason for this book is that Nightbane, although a fantastic setting, is very focused on the US. It talks a lot about how the US is infiltrated, and its government and organizations.
But how are the European governments affected? Has british intelligence been taken over? How about Japan?
I would have the Nightbane Worldwide book focus on two or three of the most interesting areas, while giving a light overview of the rest of the world. What areas are hit hardest? Are there any overlooked areas that Nightbane can use as safe haven or hidey-holes to strike from? That sort of thing.

The crunch book would basically be the Nightbane version of Powers Unlimited. A book full of Talents, Spells and Psionics, and Morphus Tables. The Spells and Psionics would have that grim horror flair that makes them unique to Nightbane, of course.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Re: Re:

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Wow, I've never seen Nightbane run that way. That would (for me) suck as a way to protray Nightbane. Kind of sounds like what it would be like to play Hellboy when you describe it like that.
My players can tell ya, I ladle the nuance, subtley and back story on with a backhoe. :lol:

How can you be subtle with a backhoe? Nuance and backstory sure, but subtlty?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Re:

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

AlanGunhouse wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Wow, I've never seen Nightbane run that way. That would (for me) suck as a way to protray Nightbane. Kind of sounds like what it would be like to play Hellboy when you describe it like that.
My players can tell ya, I ladle the nuance, subtley and back story on with a backhoe. :lol:

How can you be subtle with a backhoe? Nuance and backstory sure, but subtlty?

He has his ways. Trust me.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
velcRomanceR
Wanderer
Location: Being an interdimensional party provider/tour guide, I never know with any certainty where I'll be.

Unread post by velcRomanceR »

If there was to be a new Nightbane Book, I would see one with a bit more political intrigue. What if, like the Ba'al-ze-Neckt took over the United States through the Preserver Party, a politician in Russia or China or the U.K. found out on Dark Day they were a Nightbane? I know Nightbane have no parents per se, but I'm sure the individual in power had adoptive parents, perhaps other politicians? And what if others in power, as many as a few, were also Nightbane? And after Dark Day, with other humans in the know about what is really going on, they get elected or appointed to positions of power by the people who are scared and in need of protection and sanity? This dichotomy could make for some great role-playing. Because then, the threat of the battle between good and evil would be made global rather than local.

A book with political intrigue. Who would be the United States's rival in terms of economic policy, international policy, or domestic security? Sweden gives many freedoms to their citizens, and the United States as ran by Douglas Carson and the NSB are freedom-stealing thieves and murderers. Russia has always been the United States's rival in terms of the Superpower status, and China is on their way to becomig a major global opponent. The United Kingdom is an obvious suggestion as we, as citizens of the United States, side with them on some major policies like domestic security and imperialist planning. Another option is Japan whose technology could greatly help the war against the Ba'al. How about an ironic spin? Iran or Iraq or Afghanistan. Israel? I think Brasil would be a fantastic bastion of Nightbane supremacy - You could imagine a fight between a dozen Nightbane and twenty Hounds and Hunters beneath the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janerio? Nice.
Nothing is true, all is permitted
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Petite Elfgirl wrote:And you won't hear this chica complain about any nightbane books in the works. Even if the name is "Nightbane Sourcebook."

That's good. I'd hate to have to gag you. :eek:
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Petite Elfgirl wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Petite Elfgirl wrote:And you won't hear this chica complain about any nightbane books in the works. Even if the name is "Nightbane Sourcebook."

That's good. I'd hate to have to gag you. :eek:

Help, help, i'm being repressed! :-P

Bloody peasant! :D
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Misfit,
you do realise that there is a Cluebat carved from the ugly tree currently misplaced from my Cluebat collection.

As for the Pointy eared Chica...What year is your computer as some of the old ones can stand up to the contents of a case(250 shells) of 12 gauge.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Rockwolf66 wrote:Misfit,
you do realise that there is a Cluebat carved from the ugly tree currently misplaced from my Cluebat collection.

I'm married and ugly. What's your point?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I like to see book on how the Nightlords are doing in Europe,showing European Factions.

Maybe more Spells unique to Mirrormage,Fleshscuptors and Astralmage.

More Psionics powers unique to Astral lords,DreamDancers,Deammakers.

Return to “Nightbane®”