A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nursahburen
Wanderer
Comment: i have DIM MAK.

Unread post by Nursahburen »

No in a nut shell, they keep there Natural ablities and Psionics...
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Yes, everything is erased and replaced with the Cosmos-Knight stuff.

Personally though I'd let them keep things like better smelling/hearing for canine species, better night-vision for elves, ect.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

They are very powerful! In the right circumstances they can be a blast to play! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Nursahburen
Wanderer

CK powers

All it says in the write-up is loss of previous skills not powers or abilities
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

No.
Abilities aren't skills.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Opinion is divided on the subject.

I rule for my games that acceptance of the Forge's offer makes the CK something alien to his species... so they would loose their natural abilities. From a game mechanic point of view, it also prevents the creation of mindmelter, Quick-Flex Cosmo-knights and other such silliness.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Aramanthus
Monk

Every Gm generally is going to run it the way he or she likes. and they are the ones with the final say. As Bradon said it is divided. If you like it one way run it that way.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Basicly it's up to the individual GM, and circumstances given for how a being becomes a Cosmo-knight.
One could argue that the powers of The Forge overwrite the powers / natural abillities of the PC's species, but they retain their skills (which makes more sense actualy; why make soneone a knight if they lose everything that made them worthy?).
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that has it The Forge likes to mind-wipe it's tools, so they can't try and abuse their new-fangled powers (thus the skill re-set), but will leave the being with their original NATURAL powers, so they can relate to what they once were...even if they don't remember what the (censored) they were before knighthood.

C.J. Carrella had a great concept, but it was ambiguous in the write-up.
Mr. Coffin was supposed to clarify this abiguity, but he....left...
We the GM's and players are now holding the bag.
Make your own conclusions.
Me? IF a player becomes a CK durring course of campiagn, they keep all their original skills, and just gain the OCC skill of the knight (no related or secondaries added). Their psionics and senses remain; magic on the other hand is problematic...though I've never had to adjudicate THAT conumdrum. :D
If someone wants to play a CK right off the bat *shrug* they roll it up as normal. Period dot end.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

I'm still hoping that someone will write that book. Even if they put it in the Rifter. I still want to see them explored more. :D

HH....FIE
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I agree with Dhak. if it occurs mid game just do it let them keep all skills and abilities but if its at the start they go as per book
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a good call DhAkael! I agree after rereading your post. That is a good way to handle the problem.

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

It states in the writeup that you use the attribute rolls of the CK unless the attribute dice of the species are higher. As such i would say any inherent abilities of the race would be retained like the wolvens additional attack and the noros psionic abilities.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Alright then...

An In'Valian is chosen to become a Herald of the Forge. Is he completely remade into a new being with no need for his supportive exo-suit, or does he become an assited-living Cosmo-Knight?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Finally a solution for all those invallian, If they were all Cosmo knights they wouldn't have any worries, of course the species would cease to exist in a few millennium ( no reproduction). Without the joke yes cosmo knight re-forging would heal the invallian.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Imagine if you will that when accepting the Forge's offer to become a CK that you retained all your abilities and lost your skills...

This would mean that I could have been trained to be a Magebane, explored the world for x years doing my thing, found the Knights of the White Rose Mystic Knights and became one...so now I'm both immune to magic, and immune to energy...then I become a Cosmo Knight which is now immune to magic (biggest weakness) and 100% immune to energy as well as the CK's resistance, the ability to steal PPE, the ability to use psionics, and the abilities to empower seemingly harmless or normal SDC weapons and armor into magical mega-damage armor and weapons. Oh but lets no stop there...lets say that he is somehow able to get superpowers prior to being a CK...then he could have immunity to psionics, and have force field creation...

I can keep going...allowing the CK to retain anything other than their natural form of communication and appearance is way to strong or is extremely hindering. Imagine a vampire who is given the choice to be a CK...they'd still suffer from their weaknesses but would virtually impervious to anything else leveled at them. Physical attacks wouldn't mean anything to a CK who has the resistance of a vampire, but he would be held at bay by a globe of daylight...etc. etc....though I don't think that a vamp could be a CK.

"Those who accept, enter the Cosmic Forge and are bathed by unimaginable energies. Their bodies and souls are seared and reshaped by cosmic forces. When they emerge, they are transformed by their experience. Cosmo-knights retain their previous appearance and can even pass as normal members of their race (which is important for undercover work)."
Marcethus
Champion

First off Vampires could never become a Cosmo Knight due to the fact that no matter what their alignment is they will always be Supernatural Evil.

Magebane: never heard of em and if its a New OCC in one of the New books again no clue,

Mystic Knight. Not likely to become a CK even if Order of the White Rose too much evil stigmata to them

but who knows how the forge thinks that is up to the Gm to decide.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-yawn- and with the bickering commencing...this post now bores the (censored) outa me :fool:

I dream of towers in a world consumed
Leaves of the lotus rise

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

You lose OCC abilities, nae natural abilities, and skills.
I'm still trying to figure out where you people get that Cosmo-knights can't reproduce.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

First off Vampires could never become a Cosmo Knight due to the fact that no matter what their alignment is they will always be Supernatural Evil.

You got the supernatural part right, but not the evil...alignment has no bearing on if you can be a CK according to the book.

Magebane: never heard of em and if its a New OCC in one of the New books again no clue,

Mercenary Adventures, not super new but not old either.

Mystic Knight. Not likely to become a CK even if Order of the White Rose too much evil stigmata to them

Again, alignment has no bearing on if you can be a CK, just no supernatural. Pg. 99 Phase World, 1st paragraph on "Becoming a Cosmo- Knight."
Marcethus
Champion

I think you need to reread the Cosmo-Knight

Phase World page 100 wrote:Alignment: Principled or Scrupulous only. A change of alignment will cause the Knight to "Fall" and lose most of his powers.

that's straight from the book.
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Marcethus, you need to re-read the Cosmo-Knight...any alignment is allowed to become a CK...once you accept and are transformed then you must maintain an alignment of principled or scrupulous. Again...pg. 99 "Becoming a Cosmo-Knight" 1st paragraph...
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

GM rules on this issue.

'nuff said. 8)
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree Bob! I'm not joining this argument!

HH....FIE
Nursahburen
Wanderer

If you read Hammer of the Forge... Caleb still has all his previous memories... and the Monro CK still has his tentacles...
Aramanthus
Monk

Better watch out that is not canon to some around here. I like that series and will allow some of the non-canon stuff written within it's width and breadth.

HH....FIE
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Don't forget though that alot of the NPC's or characters featured in certain books and stories have their own little quirks that aren't anywhere near normal for the typical people belonging to that OCC/RCC...like the leader of the cyber knights or the leader of the knights of the white rose. They are all exceptions to the rule.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very true statement Ahulane! I do agree with it!

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”