Playing with the Natural Genius...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i just crossed out the paragraph about skill restrictions with a big fat marker in my copy of PU2.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Whiz Kid wrote:Hmm... I felt the restrictions were somewhat necessary. Quite frankly, if you give a NG the option to take 10 Espionage/Military/Rogue/Physical programs... you've just negated Special Training. The NG can even eclipse several of them on one character if they so choose. The bonuses won't be quite as high, but it's pretty much a given that the NG will have an IQ bonus, and they have those spiffy special abilities that would compensate fairly well.

But aside from that (or in addition to it, as the case may be), what do you guys think of the way I resructured the skill programs? Do you feel that it de-powers them, overpowers them, or is it 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' to you? Do you feel that these changes adequately deal with the problems that I listed (I understand you may not see the same problems, I'm asking you to work with a hypothetical here), or do you have other suggestions?

I do appreciate the feedback, and the personal examples that have been given. I don't mean to lessen the contributions at all, and I honestly would like to hear more about how others have handled the NG... but as greedy as this is going to sound, I also want some feedback to help me figure out if what I've done actually sounds plausible to anyone but me.

your execution looks like it works very well. i tend to like things that make characters scale better, because that has been something that palladium lacks in my experience.
i just posed a simpler fix that fits my personal tastes better.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I see what you're doing and I think I like it, but I really need to sit down and look over the class again and see what a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level character are going to look like now with the changes you made.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
LostOne
Champion

Re: Playing with the Natural Genius...

Unread post by LostOne »

Anytime chosen skill programs have duplicated skills, I simply drop one of the duplicates and add an OCC related skill choice.

OR

Drop one of the duplicates and add a 10% bonus to the other.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

LostOne wrote:Drop one of the duplicates and add a 10% bonus to the other.

That is usually what I do.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What are the number of Natural genius abilities,one can have?

What can I pic from?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I do not have PU2.

I known ther not real super-powers,But I would like to known them.

I give one and only one of them to Special training Player Characters when I am a GM,if they get to a higher level,it,s due to Training.

Thank for the Help.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Lord NorDeth wrote:
grendelhall wrote:...Natural Geniuses are considered a Mega Class...

Where do you get this from?
(Not trying to start a fight or anything, but I have just read the section 3 times and cannot find any reference to them being a Mega)

IIRC Rifter 37 gives rules to make them mega.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Natural genuses are not mega heros
they may have a lot of skills but they
still have that nasty weakness to
mr shotgun.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Prince Cherico wrote:Natural genuses are not mega heros
they may have a lot of skills but they
still have that nasty weakness to
mr shotgun.

The mega category was meant to make the classes more powerful. Just because you can't get past the idea of the guy in the big red cape doesn't mean you can't have a Natural Genius mega.

Mega Mutant > Mutant
Mega Super-Soldier > Super-Soldier
Mega Natural Genius > Natural Genius

Seems clear to me.

It also gives players more choices when the GM says, "Ok, we're all rolling up mega heroes." The guy that wanted to play a Natural Genius was kinda boned before, but now he has the mega natural genius option.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Ranger wrote:Then the player was not thinking properly.

A certian movie that just came out on May 2nd could describe a Natural Genius.

Except I think he's better quantified as Hardware.

Natural Genius strikes me more as the bald enemy of the guy in the red cape.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I like what you are doing here with the NG. Without play testing it is hard to say how it would work out. On a different note, I always thought of the big rival (not enemy, rival) of the boy scout would be a NG.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My solution to skill overlap is that any time the skill programs over lap one of two things happen,

1) just drop the skill and choose another simmiler skill
or
2) add a level's worth to the repeated skill.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

The too many skills thing, I usually take any duplicate skill and either let it add to the skill (such as Sing becoming pro), or at full bonus a skill from the same category, or half bonus a skill from any category (so if you have Dance +20% twice, you could have Dance +20%, 1 Domestic at +20%, or 1 Any Skill at +10%).

Skill restrictions I dropped, so you could make a Natural Genius who specializes in crime (Professor Moriarty, of Sherlock Holmes), one who specializes in medicine (Dr. Frankenstein, if you feel so inclined), etc., allowing you to fit it to how you see the Natural Genius (I've had Natural Geniuses specialize in drugs to make JAEP/Juicers, or illegal drugs, etc. as villains).
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:My solution to skill overlap is that any time the skill programs over lap one of two things happen,

1) just drop the skill and choose another simmiler skill
or
2) add a level's worth to the repeated skill.

I just generally make it an added added 10% (not that this is the only option available, just the way the book seems to recommend), similar to when one takes Sewing or Writing twice to make it professional quality.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”