Balancing weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Balancing weapons

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Yeah it's a problem in Rifts, but the basic premise is that weapons manufacturer's are on a war footing, attempting to build better weapons as fast as possible.

The problem with the laser rifle doing as much damage as a cannon on a tank is also a big gripe. I've heard of people allowing tank mounted laser cannons to shoot pulse/bursts, but I prefer to simply up the damage.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Personally, I don't think it's an issue of the pulse weapons doing too much damage, I think the big guns don't do enough.

Hand held weapons should be scaled agaisnt personal body armor, with some heavy weapons being scaled against power armor.

Power armor weapons should be scaled against the armor of power armor and some vehicles.

Tank and Robot weapons should be scaled against the armor of tanks and robots.

A person or persons in personal armor shouldn't be engaging tanks. They should be running away at best possible speed (and possibly different directions). The tank in turn, shouldn't be wasting its time with gnats.

This has long been a quirk about the Palladium system and I don't think it'll change. So my suggestion is the same as the poster before me. Simply raise the damage of the bigger weapons.

(Oh, and the weapons of later books doing more than the original book has a lot to do with something called power creep).
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I agree.

I suggest:

Small arms, body armor, exoskeletons, and power armor
: keep as is. To me, this seems fairly balanced already.

Robots: X 2 on armor and damage (missiles remain constant), 50% cost

Tanks and APCs: X 2 on Damage (missiles remain constant), X 3 on armor

Other vehicles:
X 2 Damage (missiles remain constant)

Magic items:
25% cost

JA-12s: Keep as is, but its GOT to cost a considerable amount more...1D6X10+10 damage? 4000 ft range? plus Kinetic grenades at 2000 ft range? 850K credits easy in my books.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I have no problem with them as they are. Sure the damage is set up so that characters can survive an attack or two from a tank, but the fact of the matter is... that rifle will run out of ammo, that tank wont.

So while buddy's firing wild (-6 to strike) and wasting his e-clip because he's getting hammered by tank blasts, the tank just blasts away all day with full bonuses.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I'm changing my avatar. Nekira hasn't posted in this thread. :P
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

darebear wrote:I dont have a lot of experience in GMing Rifts. However, when I look at weapons in different books there seems to be a vast difference in capablities (this is obviously no suprise). Evreything no a days seems to be pulse weapons which deal out damage by the bucket-load. I will cite Wilks weapons (but this problem seems to me to apply to the Coalition as well)

Wilks 320 laser pistol - 1d6, 20/40 shots (standard e-clip and long e-clip) vs:
Wilks 227 pulse pistol - 2d6 or 2 shots, 4d6, 12/24 shots
Wilks 237 backup pistol - 3d6 or 2 shots, 6d6, 8/16 shots

Wilks 447 laser rifle - 3d6, 20 shots vs.
Wilks 457 laser pulse rifle - 3d6 or 1d6x10 burst, 0/30 shots
Wilks 557 laser pulse rifle - 3d6 or 6d6 burst, 0/51 shots

It seems to me that the later weapons (both in Sourcebook 1 and Coalition War Campaign) seem to be vastly better then the weapons in the main Rifts book. In fact, the 457 does as much damage as the main gun on some Coalition tanks/robots.

Yup.
That's called "Power Creep."

So, two questions: a) any suggestions on balancing pulse weapons and b) can the weapons on vehicles and robots also pulse? It seems that those weapons have been left behind in the arms race. Also, it makes more sense to me that vehicular weapons would pulse vs. energy pistols/rifles.

a) Ignore certain weapons and books, or nerf the damage for later weapons.
b) Not unless specified.
But I think a good house rule is to have them be able to burst/spray as per p. 34 of the main Rifts book.

Is it just me or does the trend seem to be on doing greater and greater damage as each Rifts book comes out?

It's not just you.
They're not as bad about it now as they have been in the past, but it still happens.

How does one balance out the personal weapons vs. vehicular weapons?

Some people just increase the damage of vehicular weapons; I prefer to increase their ROF as described above.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Availability is another way to manage many things in the game.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Welcome to the wonderful world of power creep. But not only that, why can't there be different "calibers" of weapons too?

Look at modern weapons, we have rifles going from the small .22 caliber to the hard hitting .50 caliber. Huge difference.

So why can't Wilks do the same thing, they make weapons with lower rated power capacitors for the non-military civilians just wanting some protection all the way up to the military rated rifles with all the bells and whistles.

But it really comes down to power creep.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

One could simply scale up the damage or use the increased Critical Hit range (like Armor Piercing Missiles) when using Vechiles (Power Armors, Robots, etc.). Simply use the 'Primary Use' descriptor under the weapons listed and give a boost against Body Armor targets if the weapon is Armor Piercing or Anti-Vehicle.

Perhaps, someone should go through and find out what all the Primary and Secondary use descriptors have been used throughout the books and come up with a system of 'bonuses' for when those weapons are used against things. One could essentially start 'Classing' all vehicle weapons using this.

"I'd do it, but I threw my back out humping your mom last night."-Jay, Mallrats
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Kagashi wrote:I agree.

I suggest:

Small arms, body armor, exoskeletons, and power armor
: keep as is. To me, this seems fairly balanced already.

Robots: X 2 on armor and damage (missiles remain constant), 50% cost

Tanks and APCs: X 2 on Damage (missiles remain constant), X 3 on armor

Other vehicles:
X 2 Damage (missiles remain constant)

Magic items:
25% cost

JA-12s: Keep as is, but its GOT to cost a considerable amount more...1D6X10+10 damage? 4000 ft range? plus Kinetic grenades at 2000 ft range? 850K credits easy in my books.

Wow Hunter mobile guns just got a whole lot nastier...

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Then my desired results are achieved :)
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”