CS RPA "Fly Boy" Ace Vs Battle Magus

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Who would win

RPA "Fly Boy" Ace
61%
Battle Magus with 3 million in toys
39%

Total votes: 31

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: CS RPA "Fly Boy" Ace Vs Battle Magus

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:Ignoring all previous replies because I am sure someone else said it...

Battle Magus.

You didn't detail the spells, and given my choice I think I could pick a few that would make short work of any single PA pilot regardless his skill.

But the most glaring advantage would be in Technowizard gear. Heck you can make armor with immunities to most attacks AND superior invisibility for under 3mil. He might see me at the same time I see him, but that's the last time he'll see me before I want him to.

That's the problem though; what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If a mage goes invisible, pilot tends to want to even out that playing field and smokes the place. Now neither can see. He then carpet missiles the area; patterns of 4 plasma missiles cover a 60ft by 60ft area, but more importantly (as undoubtedly the mage has energy protection) they create craters of glass - brittle "I can see where your general area is" glass. Atleast he will be able to once the smoke clears.

Eh.
There's a dozen ways that the Battle Magus would be long gone before those missiles hit.

But again, the real problem for the mage isn't this; it's getting all this crap activated before that fateful first attack from the SAMAS pilot.

Don't need all of it active; just invisibility (or whatever one thing is most appropriate).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote:Ignoring all previous replies because I am sure someone else said it...

Battle Magus.

You didn't detail the spells, and given my choice I think I could pick a few that would make short work of any single PA pilot regardless his skill.

But the most glaring advantage would be in Technowizard gear. Heck you can make armor with immunities to most attacks AND superior invisibility for under 3mil. He might see me at the same time I see him, but that's the last time he'll see me before I want him to.

That's the problem though; what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If a mage goes invisible, pilot tends to want to even out that playing field and smokes the place. Now neither can see. He then carpet missiles the area; patterns of 4 plasma missiles cover a 60ft by 60ft area, but more importantly (as undoubtedly the mage has energy protection) they create craters of glass - brittle "I can see where your general area is" glass. Atleast he will be able to once the smoke clears.

Eh.
There's a dozen ways that the Battle Magus would be long gone before those missiles hit.

But again, the real problem for the mage isn't this; it's getting all this crap activated before that fateful first attack from the SAMAS pilot.

Don't need all of it active; just invisibility (or whatever one thing is most appropriate).

There in-lies another problem; do we allow the mage to activate a bunch of stuff before the battle commences? My vote is no (and for the sake of fairness, not with the interests of the fighter I'm backing in mind). Reasons are as follows; Either one could come into the fight with all sorts of crazy spells cast apon them from outside sources, so to eliminate this option, only spells cast within the alotted arena time would be allowed. Otherwise it's like drawing first before the bell is rung (in a quickdraw contest).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Dog_O_War wrote:There in-lies another problem; do we allow the mage to activate a bunch of stuff before the battle commences? My vote is no (and for the sake of fairness, not with the interests of the fighter I'm backing in mind). Reasons are as follows; Either one could come into the fight with all sorts of crazy spells cast apon them from outside sources, so to eliminate this option, only spells cast within the alotted arena time would be allowed. Otherwise it's like drawing first before the bell is rung (in a quickdraw contest).

The argument for allowing the mage to have a few armor powers is that the SAMAS doesn't start with his power armor turned off or his gun unloaded.
Also, the scene is during a larger battle (IIRC), so he might have some stuff going.

But yeah, I'm with you on this overall, which is why in my scenario, the Mage didn't start combat with any spells active.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Dog_O_War
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:There in-lies another problem; do we allow the mage to activate a bunch of stuff before the battle commences? My vote is no (and for the sake of fairness, not with the interests of the fighter I'm backing in mind). Reasons are as follows; Either one could come into the fight with all sorts of crazy spells cast apon them from outside sources, so to eliminate this option, only spells cast within the alotted arena time would be allowed. Otherwise it's like drawing first before the bell is rung (in a quickdraw contest).

The argument for allowing the mage to have a few armor powers is that the SAMAS doesn't start with his power armor turned off or his gun unloaded.
Also, the scene is during a larger battle (IIRC), so he might have some stuff going.

But yeah, I'm with you on this overall, which is why in my scenario, the Mage didn't start combat with any spells active.

If we were going by that train of thought, I could say the same for the BM. It's not like the SAMAS pilot is standing there drawing a bead for 10 rounds before the battle commences; having armour with powers and having to activate those powers are two different things. For instance, if you could start invisible, then there's no reason the SAMAS couldn't start in-flight 6000ft up (or whatever the jetpack's ceiling is).

EDIT: Mis-read (or rather didn't read at all) some lines.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

K20A2_S wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Eh.

Very very true.........

But the numbers favor the Samas with his clear advantage in his initiative bonuses and strike bonuses.

I tend to agree with the poll, the Sam would win roughly 2/3 of the time a.......

I just don't see it.

I'll rework the Battle Mage setup later, to fill any gaps in ability.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thee only way to make it 100% fair would be to make them both unarmed ... as well as UNARMORED ...

Samas pilot has to put on his armor ...

BM has to do the same ...

Now lets see who wins ...
Dog_O_War
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Eh.

Very very true.........

But the numbers favor the Samas with his clear advantage in his initiative bonuses and strike bonuses.

I tend to agree with the poll, the Sam would win roughly 2/3 of the time a.......

I just don't see it.

I'll rework the Battle Mage setup later, to fill any gaps in ability.

There lies yet another problem; the BM gets to know what the challenge is, and gets full prep; but would all that work done be worth while if his opponent (and the set-up) different? It just seems disingenuous to say that the BM will win all the time when he gets to completely type himself to his enemies' abilities. I'm not saying that the SAMAS pilot will always win either - I think that the polls show a good win ratio for this match-up.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:
There lies yet another problem; the BM gets to know what the challenge is, and gets full prep; but would all that work done be worth while if his opponent (and the set-up) different? It just seems disingenuous to say that the BM will win all the time when he gets to completely type himself to his enemies' abilities. I'm not saying that the SAMAS pilot will always win either - I think that the polls show a good win ratio for this match-up.

Well think of it like this .. the Samas is on regular patrol in thier territory ..

The BM is out on a ranger ish type of recon mission ...

Obviously both participants are going to be ready an willing to go out after each other then an there an BOTH are going to be 100% ready to face each other ..
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dog_O_War wrote:There lies yet another problem; the BM gets to know what the challenge is, and gets full prep; but would all that work done be worth while if his opponent (and the set-up) different?

Well, the question was to find out if a level 1 Battle Magus with CR 3 million worth of gear could put the beat down on a run of the mill RPA pilot.

It just seems disingenuous to say that the BM will win all the time when he gets to completely type himself to his enemies' abilities.

That's the best way TO win. :-D

But, more seriously, the armor I picked, the disrupter gun, and the net guns are a pretty good idea all around.
I could have fleshed him out with more general stuff as well, but I didn't see the point of it for this scenario.

I'm not saying that the SAMAS pilot will always win either - I think that the polls show a good win ratio for this match-up.

Eh.
Half the voters on the poll probably didn't even read the thread or put much thought into their answers. At least, that's the way it usually seems to go.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Dog_O_War wrote:...patterns of 4 plasma missiles cover a 60ft by 60ft area, but more importantly (as undoubtedly the mage has energy protection) they create craters of glass - brittle "I can see where your general area is" glass.

Um, what makes you think that the short term presence of plasma will create glass?

Actually - NM - if it's hot enough to do 1D6x10 MDC, then it could.

OK, but a simple spell of flying would allow flight above the glass...no more knowing where Mr. BM is.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

K20A2_S wrote:Of course usually there's always a spell to counter what he can throw at him, but very fortunately BM aren't fortune tellers like many of you so they're not so conveniently always prepared like you would like them to be.

If I am reading your initial setup correctly it wasn't who would win if the BM had average equipment for his level, it was can you set up a BM to beat this SAMAS Pilot given three million in swag.
:fool:
Subjugator

K20A2_S wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:...patterns of 4 plasma missiles cover a 60ft by 60ft area, but more importantly (as undoubtedly the mage has energy protection) they create craters of glass - brittle "I can see where your general area is" glass.

Um, what makes you think that the short term presence of plasma will create glass?

Actually - NM - if it's hot enough to do 1D6x10 MDC, then it could.

OK, but a simple spell of flying would allow flight above the glass...no more knowing where Mr. BM is.

/Sub
Of course usually there's always a spell to counter what he can throw at him, but very fortunately BM aren't fortune tellers like many of you so they're not so conveniently always prepared like you would like them to be.

I mean, just on teh premise that they see each other at the exact same time and most likely the Sam will shoot first, the odds are with the Sam will get a direct hit the very first attack. But those are just the odds.

Btu from there on out, the possibilities are endless.

Flying is pretty much the first thing I thought of when I thought of what to add to the armor. Without that, the rest falls apart.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:Of course usually there's always a spell to counter what he can throw at him, but very fortunately BM aren't fortune tellers like many of you so they're not so conveniently always prepared like you would like them to be.

In responce ...

What makes you so sure they will even have any ammo left or missles left to deal with the BM in the first place ???

Is the BM ALWAYS going up against a BRAND spanking new samas straight from the armory in each an every event ... my guess is absolutly not :P

Having said that I think its MORE then resonably to say that the samas the bm is going up against is more likely then not going to be missing alotta munitions wether its rail gun ammo or mini missle ammo ...
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

aye god point bro dident mean to hijack the thread or even intend to simply was saying that in a combat scenario that the Sam is going to have a higher chance of having less ammo then the Bm ... since the BM can regenerate itself ...

That is all ..
Dog_O_War
Champion

RE: the net guns.

What's there range? As per the spell? Because I've had time to go over it now.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

K20A2_S wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:RE: the net guns.

Gun has 200 ft range, spell has 60 ft range.

Okay, cause I like to be thorough; where is this netgun getting the extra 140ft range from?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Subjugator

Dog_O_War wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:

Okay, cause I like to be thorough; where is this netgun getting the extra 140ft range from?

The book.

/Sub

Dog_O_War
Champion

Subjugator wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:

The book.

/Sub

Thanks, that helps.

Okay not really; I need a book and page reference (I couldn't find a "net" or "snare" gun anywhere).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Subjugator

Dog_O_War wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:

The book.

/Sub

Thanks, that helps.

Okay not really; I need a book and page reference (I couldn't find a "net" or "snare" gun anywhere).

I'd provide more information, but my books are ~1,700 miles away. :(

/Sub

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:

The book.

/Sub

Thanks, that helps.

It's first introduced in New West. IIRC it also makes use of the Energy Bolt spell, which I thought would be the extra "oomph" it has on range.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Thanks - I know where I have to look now.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.

Return to “Rifts®”