Nasty little gun

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Temporalmage
Hero

Nasty little gun

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Last night the Gm let our group steal a CS command car, actually a Northern Gun version of such. Not a bad vehicle for a group in the burbs of Chi-Town. Until we looked at the railgun it came with. Range of 2 miles!! Can you believe that? 2 miles!!! That rivals the glitterboy boom gun! Talk about a sniper railgun!

Honestly I think the author of that book don't realize that 2 miles is 10,560 feet, or over TWICE the distance of other railguns it's size! Speaking of size, the thing only weighs 90 pounds, so it could easily be used by full conversion borgs, power armor pilots, etc.
Can you imagine a group of Samas staying back a mile and a half and simply ripping your group apart with little chance of being counter attacked?? WOW!!!
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Nasty little gun

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yeah, that's messed up.

Maybe it's a typo?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

nah its just doing justice to kinetic energy rounds that compared to the other types are woefully under powered. I a rail gun is better than a SABOT round it should be able to do more than it does

RIddle me this a rail gun round it doing dammage based on how fast its going basically. HOw is it they only travel a mile and can casue the exact amount of MD that a convientional sabot round casues 1d4 md

THere is no reason why it would decelerate faster.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Yeah, that's messed up.

Maybe it's a typo?

Actually its not a typo.. I've checked CS War Campaign, GM Guide, and a couple other books.. All the same thing stating 2miles.

Its nuts :shock:
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Um thats not bad at all. Lets compair it to the Browning M-2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun
In service since 1921.
Length: 61.42 inches (156 centimeters)
Weight:
Gun: 84 pounds (38 kilograms)
M3 Tripod (Complete): 44 pounds (19.98 kilograms)
Total: 128 pounds (58 kilograms)
Bore diameter: .50 inches (12.7mm)
Maximum effective range: 2000 meters with tripod mount
Maximum range: 4.22 miles (6.8 kilometers)
Cyclic rate of fire: 550 rounds per minute
Yup not bad at all.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

what is nuts is the fact that 50 cal developed in 1917 is fundemntally the same machine gun we use in the infantry tanks all sort of other things today. They literally have not been able to come up with a beter machine gun. What sort of genius is that.

I stil do undersatnd these ranges thouhg. You need a rail round to acclerate to a certain level. Its going to need a cetai amount of time to decelerate. If a sabot round does MD and has a range muc more than 2 miles why would the rail gun round be less? My understanding is 4 mikles is the max effective range due to targetting also. Shouldn't a rail gun get at the very least 4 miles considering it is RIfts 6 or 8
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The command car carries important people. I think the rail gun range is to scout out snipers and with greater range gives it extra bursts against well armored foes. When it comes to protecting Officers the military don't mind spending extra money to keep them safe. Now when it comes to grunts that see action on a regular basics sure we could better equip them, but its not in the budget. Just like in Batman begins where Lucius Fox tells Bruce Wayne why Batman's body armor was discontinued instead of being issued to soldiers. "Bean counters didn't think that a soldier's life was worth three-hundred grand"
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Remember...a rail gun fires rounds at hypersonic velocities.

Compare that to the rifle that was used in Afghanistan by a Canadian Joint Task Force 2 soldier. It is a .50 caliber round travleing at *super* sonic velocities, and it is accurate out to several MILES. Members of the Unit set and then re-set the record for the longest range sniper kill ever...over 2700 metres!

With a hypersonic round such as from a rail gun, a good shooter (and presumably able to handle the recoil) could accurately hit targets out to 10,000 metres or more!

The naval railgun they are designing right now for the US Navy has a range almost to the horizon!
Last edited by Borast on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Temporalmage wrote:Last night the Gm let our group steal a CS command car ... we looked at the railgun it came with. Range of 2 miles!! Can you believe that? 2 miles!!!

My guess is that is an original stat for the weapon that slipped past Kev in the editing process. Lots of writers have had their stuff horribly nerfed by Kev, but once in a blue moon these things slip past his notice.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Borast wrote:Remember...a rail gun fires rounds at hypersonic velocities.

Compare that to the rifle that was used in Afghanistan by the Canadian Joint Task Force 2 soldier. It is a .50 caliber round travleing at *super* sonic velocities, and it is accurate out to several MILES. Members of the Unit set and then re-set the record for the longest range sniper kill ever...over 2700 metres!

With a hypersonic round such as from a rail gun, a good shooter (and presumably able to handle the recoil) could accurately hit targets out to 10,000 metres or more!

The naval railgun they are designing right now for the US Navy has a range almost to the horizon!

That's some serious temptation for us weapons designers to commit stat munchkinism....The precedent of the Real World... :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
csbioborg
Champion

LordVarandus wrote:But keep in mind guys, the ranges given in rifts are considered EFFECTIVE ranges, ranges there is no penalty at, there are additional penalties for firing farther writen in the combat section of riftsU.

but yes that is a long way considering the ranges of everything releted or close to it......I cant go on enough about the inconsistencies in their weapon designs in the COALITION WAR CAMPAIGN!!!! its like a bunch of different people submited designs and they threw them all into one big book and didnt call it a rifter.... I myself have done NUMEROUS changes to it and several vehicles in it to make them more consistent with the other vehicles around them, or dropped stats to make their tech level match the coalitions....which is still supposed to be below triax and atlantis...

yup and the max effective range of a sabot round which is the closest thing we have analgous to a rail gun actually use by the military is 4 miles and that four miles is becasue of the lmitations tech of the abrams tank not with limittoin on the round. I am sure targeting technology is going to get better by the time we get to 2098
csbioborg
Champion

the current abrams M1A1 and 2 are actually a 120mm smoth bore but I get your point. I still have my issues with how tough even a weak MD creature is. I mean really could you imagine the norm in a dbee filled society is no one ever gets hurt from falling or regular accidents. Laugh off a anvil falling on your head. Its hard to really comprhend.

Return to “Rifts®”