nightsight, infrared

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Temporalmage
Hero

nightsight, infrared

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Did you know that power armor and robots don't automatically have any optical enhancments unless it states such under that specific armor or robot?

I watched a PA pilot get killed by 4 bandits with low powered rifles (3d6 md) when they ambushed him in a pitch black cave. They were using thermo-optics and one of em chucked a couple frag grenades at the beginning of combat, which took out the PA pilots SDC flashlight. It was pretty nasty considering that same combat in broad daylight would have ended with 4 dead bandits and a slightly scratched power armor. Instead it ended with one dead PA pilot and 1 dead bandit, with another hurt bad, and two unscathed!!
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Borast
Champion

Re: nightsight, infrared

Unread post by Borast »

Yup...just like there is no power armour, vehicle, or robot capable of detecting enemy RADAR...unless they specifically state it in the description. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Temporalmage wrote:Did you know that power armor and robots don't automatically have any optical enhancments unless it states such under that specific armor or robot?

I watched a PA pilot get killed by 4 bandits with low powered rifles (3d6 md) when they ambushed him in a pitch black cave. They were using thermo-optics and one of em chucked a couple frag grenades at the beginning of combat, which took out the PA pilots SDC flashlight. It was pretty nasty considering that same combat in broad daylight would have ended with 4 dead bandits and a slightly scratched power armor. Instead it ended with one dead PA pilot and 1 dead bandit, with another hurt bad, and two unscathed!!

As a previous poster said...RADAR. All power armor has radar that can track 24 targets at once. Combine that with the standard targeting system and it's Videogame time. Think of it as playing Heavy Gear in Wireframe mode.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

There's noway power armor don't come without night vision or infrared vision, both my 40$ web cam and 280$ video recorder both have good nightvision built in and in in the next 20 years all kinds of items are going to have enhanced night vision and infrared built into all new cars, security cameras and even sun glasses. BMW incorporates thermal imaging in the Night Vision driver assistance system in 2006. So a BMW has better sensors than a futuristic robot back in 2006. I say it should be automatic included in most robots & power armor package.

Check out the BMW Night Vision driver assistance system video.
http://www.automotoportal.com/article/B ... sion_video
Last edited by runebeo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Even if PA started out with nightvision it still wouldnt have helped. Remember Nightvision only amplifies existing light no matter how little it is to see. Just tossing that out there.
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Rockwolf66
Hero

PA suits still have RADAR. Thus those bandits should have been the ones blind.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Rockwolf66 wrote:PA suits still have RADAR. Thus those bandits should have been the ones blind.

Wouldn't have worked in a cave of stalagtites and stalagmites. Besides, as far as I know radar only picks up flying stuff.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Rockwolf66
Hero

Temporalmage wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:PA suits still have RADAR. Thus those bandits should have been the ones blind.

Wouldn't have worked in a cave of stalagtites and stalagmites. Besides, as far as I know radar only picks up flying stuff.

Sorry but RADAR can pick up infantrymen on the ground. I have a friend who used it to spot mexicans sneaking over the border back when he was in the Army. He didn't like the long nights so he became an interrogator.

Still RADAR can pick out Biologicals out of ground clutter, not to mention all the nice RADAR reflecting equipment that High-Tech forces like to carry.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

p271 RUE: Radar: can identify and track up to 72 targets...

What kind of power armor was it?

In our games we assume that all power armor has the equivalent of multi-optic eyes for sensors, so all the passive nightvision, infrared, etc. Even if they didn't, no one is going to manufacture a vehicle that is intended for military purposes and it doesn't have built-in headlights/spotlights.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Personally I have always run that all PA/Robot Vehicles have a standard set of sensors (minus chipwell or other cheaply made units) plus any special sensors that may be included in the description of the Specific Armor.

Return to “Rifts®”