Memory Magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Memory Magic

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Not really. That's the domain of Psionics and Psychics alone.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

BtS1 had a spell called "Enhanced Memory."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Has anyone dealt with magic that actually increases your IQ? I've had several suggestions of
my own..... :badbad:
Grandil
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Grandil wrote:Has anyone dealt with magic that actually increases your IQ? I've had several suggestions of
my own..... :badbad:
Grandil

Palladium Fantasy has Rune rings in I think Western Empire that increase some attributes and the Night Lands book has artifacts that do the same.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Library Ogre

I would say that for the duration of the magic, he remembers things clearly. It's not a camcorder image of it, so much as things are dredged up from the depths of memory and can be treated as if they happened in the past couple minutes.

Use only as directed. May lead to the spellcaster using up the remaining duration by pestering friends with "Hey, man, you remember when..." stories. May cause excessive vomiting as you remember clearly the person you slept with last night, or what was actually required at that ritual you can't quite remember. If nausea persists, stop boinking demons you colossal perv.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Mephisto wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I would say that for the duration of the magic, he remembers things clearly. It's not a camcorder image of it, so much as things are dredged up from the depths of memory and can be treated as if they happened in the past couple minutes.

Use only as directed. May lead to the spellcaster using up the remaining duration by pestering friends with "Hey, man, you remember when..." stories. May cause excessive vomiting as you remember clearly the person you slept with last night, or what was actually required at that ritual you can't quite remember. If nausea persists, stop boinking demons you colossal perv.

I hate to play the Deevil's Advocate but that doesn't really seem like it fits the intent of the spell...the spell seems to be a way for the mage to remember information that she might have forgotten (after all reading speed is included in the spell description)...so I think it more for utility purposes than for nefarious ones.

When did you have your laughendectomy? Was it laproscopic, or do you have a scar? :lol:

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Mephisto wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I hate to play the Deevil's Advocate but that doesn't really seem like it fits the intent of the spell...the spell seems to be a way for the mage to remember information that she might have forgotten (after all reading speed is included in the spell description)...so I think it more for utility purposes than for nefarious ones.

When did you have your laughendectomy? Was it laproscopic, or do you have a scar? :lol:

Dude I have a lot of scars I wish I didn't have...and I don't think you answered my comment either.

That's because my statement was humorous, and not to be taken seriously. That you took it seriously is what made me wonder what happened to your sense of humor.

All Palladium Articles
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mephisto wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:BtS1 had a spell called "Enhanced Memory."

Thanks Mark and I just read the effects and it's kind of confusing...it doesn't state how long the memories last. Is the 10 minutes per level how much the mage remembers as a kind of camcorder-esque memory sequence? I also note with some bemusement that Divination is not in BTS2 as a psychic power...

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I haven't really played BtS (not my group's style really), but I do have the books. Maybe I'll be able to answer the question in a way that will satisfy you.

"...remember events which he has experienced, or witnessed, or items read vividly."

Well, those are past tense terms. Now, that could be just be the wording, but the rest of the spell is present tense. To me at least, this would indicate being able to remember even past events. Not just a camcorder for those minutes (remembered indefinitely or for a second duration), but for the duration you just remember really, really well. So, level 6 you have 1 hour to do whatever you need it for (or recast after). In addition, it's called "Enhanced Memory" not "Photographic" or "Total Recall." I'd imagine it something like how when you're put into hypnosis the patients remember previously forgotten things (resurfaced memories).

The "skill bonus" wouldn't make as much sense (to me at least) if it was just a photographic memory for that portion. On the other hand, when performing a skill you're not just performing it, but using a lifetime experience to help (you often forget things, don't think about them, etc., but because of the enhanced memories even the little details of previous experiences come forth to add in the skill attempt).

The faster reading is (my guess) that when you read part of your speed is related to trying to read slow enough so you can read and remember it. Ever try to read something so fast you miss something important and have to reread, or it just doesn't stay in your memory? Maybe it's just me, but I'll admit I'm a slow reader in general for that reason. >_< So, using that line of thought, being able to better remember will let you read faster.

As for Divination (for 2nd Edition) ... they do have "Clairvoyance" and "Precognition" as a psychic powers (which involve seeing the future), and Astrology (a type of Divination) is there as a skill. In the Astrology skill it mentions being a possible focus point for psychics with Clairvoyant and Precognitive abilities. On a side note, there is the Divination (technical) skill in Through the Glass Darkly which includes Astrology in it (so I'd say it would stand to reason those similar methods could be substituted for the Astrology skill, which is just more specific, if desired). You mentioned the psychic power though (and the Astrology skill in BtS2 addresses those two psionics which is why I brought this up in the first place).

Okay, just thought I'd try to help and break it down to explain the parts and how I would personally interpret what is written. Hopefully that helps ... and made sense. Yes, making sense is always a definite plus. That should be all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Mark Hall wrote:I would say that for the duration of the magic, he remembers things clearly. It's not a camcorder image of it, so much as things are dredged up from the depths of memory and can be treated as if they happened in the past couple minutes.

That wasn't a requirement of the ritual. That demon was HOT! :-D
Library Ogre

gaaahhhh wrote:

That wasn't a requirement of the ritual. That demon was HOT! :-D

Dude, given that it was a dire harpy, I have to question when you last saw the optometrist.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”