Rifts Family Origins. Humans, Mutants, D-Bees, Aliens

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

talmor
Wanderer

Re: Rifts Family Origins. Humans, Mutants, D-Bees, Aliens

Unread post by talmor »

Tyciol wrote:Since I don't know if it's treated anywhere, I'm going to propose what I think. I think the CS does accept mutant humans like this, however they will test their DNA to make sure they're human, and will make it mandatory to undergoe certain surgeries to correct the 'defects' (like to cut off a dog tail that you're born with). Furthermore, it'll be on their record and make them a bit more suspicious of the person, spread rumours, etc. Also, I think they will be taught that they should be asexual or at least, not to procreate with other humans to avoid potentially spreading their mutation in case the mutation has affected their germline cells. I think the CS would promote a kind of limited eugenics like this. I'm not aware of the CS promoting any kind of racist eugenics as we know it today, but I think they would in regards to people with inhuman animal-looking characteristics.

Meh, I've never viewed the CS as being that proactive/accommodating. Sure, there are mutants/d-bees in the CS, but it's not like they're "citizens" or have "rights" or anything. They are, at best, second class citizens, tolerated so long as they work and stay out of sight, but aren't allowed anywhere near the important places, have weapons, or, you know, talk back to a proper human. So, a human like d-bee/mutant might go "under the knife" in order to pass as "normal"--which could be a really cool idea, sort of like GATTACA; but I doubt the CS has any sort of official policy regarding such...things...in their society. They don't track them, they don't help them appear normal, they don't bother with rumor campaigns, and they certainly don't give them any sort of "education" or the like...if you're not "human," and the CS is paying any attention to you whatsoever, just keep your head down and pray for the best.

Of course, this can vary game to game. In some games, I can see the CS putting poison/sterilization drugs into the d-bees water supply, and in others d-bees/mutants are allowed to join the militia as irregular/support troops. In my game, they do both, if only because while the CS is a fascist evil state, they are also disorganized and hypocritical.

As an aside, I've always assumed that anything not clearly human, "proper animal," or slime-dripping "demon" was a d-bee, regardless of where it was born==I could be wrong though.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I'd imagine they would treat them like they would with the many people that have geneitc disorders. I'd actually imagine a lot of the things like "dog face" would be curable through gene therapy. We will be able to cure a lot of that stuff with our life time. Moreover, Lone Star can enhance people which means they likely can cure people to. I'd imagine that being cured would be a requirment to citizen ship.

I have a problem with supers not having a there powers switch to a rifts style psionic style. I think those mental powers are different more due to HU game mechinics being different than the actual power being different. So I'd think a dog boy could detect there powers.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

the CS by Canon have only a finite amount of citzienship spots to give away. Obivously they are going to go to the humans. This isn't even a matter of hate as it is a matter finite resources. Deonizing the CS like this and demonize any country that does not help out foriengers equally as its citizens.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

LordVarandus wrote:yea there anre in infanat number of HUMAN origins it seems as long as it looks human and doesn't send the dog boys into a freakout frenzy it classes as human despite its parentage to them. how are they gonna know. I think they leave it ambiguous to give role playing options, so use those old tables and bacground things and have fun.

Well, I can always see the CS being all about "Racial purity" and the like, and maybe even going back through someone family tree to prove they truly are human when it comes to citizenship and the like. Yes, most of the records were destroyed by a little thing called the Apocalypse, but it just proves how seriously they take the whole thing.

As for how much it affects the game...well, a game where the goal is to become Coalition Citizens, when you don't start with the right family and the right documents, probably a great deal. Otherwise, it's just interesting to think about and can help inform a character concept.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Hmmm... After the Bomb Pig People?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

LordVarandus wrote: what I meant is a human from phase world or other such place is as HUMAN as ny on earth. as far as records....rifts earth......yea. most games revolving around becoming a citizen i would imagine placing the PCs among the throngs of hopeful applicants waiting to gain access! But role playing out the actual method would seem very...boring. what makes a game would be the Opportunity weather real or fake offered to the pc characters to get a step up on the lists, or to get in period by doing something adventurous or diplomatic etcetra. having your ducks in a row lineage wise and then waiting on the 7 year wait list isnt as fun I think as the underdog who tests out clearly as human, but has questionable or unknown background, but is given a chance caus of his..skills.

Well, yeah, I mean, handing the players a handout of "Form 43-B" that they need to spend the session filling out, in triplicate, isn't the idea Rifts adventure scenario; but, having it be the goal, and the players doing a variety of things--from pro-CS missions to gain their attentions/get letters of recommendation from various politicians and military commanders, to morally questionable dealing to advance their own cause over others, to doing the background on themselves, only to discover their own non-Earth/mutant origins (that could be several generations behind them)...I think that could be a blast. "Officially" no one in the CS system could ever acknowledge anything "questionable" about the characters, but it doesn't mean that they PC's can't have friends/people that owe them favors/are blackmailing/have bribed to get them through the damn 43-B form.

Of course, once they get it, then they have to keep that secret, and the more people who helped them, the more who know. It's one thing to apply and be rejected, it's another to conceal the information, and if word gets out that the PC is not only a mutant/d-bee (I assume the CS has the "one drop" rule when it comes to racial purity), then the players now risk everything if word gets out. On top of that, once the players are inside, they will surely learn that some citizens are more equal than others, and want to move up with in CS society. The further they go, the greater the rewards, but also the risk if anyone ever discovers their secret.

Dude, I think I just got a new campaign idea...
csbioborg
Champion

joining the CS most assuredly involves a enlistment unless you have special skills so I can't imagine it being it that boring
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

I think if Bradford unlocked the secret of Neo-Humans, he'd be jumping up and down like a little school girl. Probably tell the Emperor something along the lines of 'Yeah, I've discovered a minor genetic procedure to unlock the full potential of Mind Melters. Yes. Only me, Karl. Only me.'
Would they be accepted if they came up to the Coalition? I don't see why not. Psi-Division would welcome them with open arms and a big psychic kiss.
Altess???
Ohhh. Sends a chill up the spine.
Contrary to what some might think, I believe the CS would love the Altess. I could see Prosek holding them as a model for what humanity could 'become if not for the Supernatural, the D-bees, and the Magical Creatures that infest this great land of ours'.
I could see the CS engaging in eugenics, taking a page out of the Altess society. That zero-pop. growth would be a problem though.
These are some interesting thoughts.
Last edited by Chad on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

As for the latter part of your OP - I think that the CS may allow them entry as 2ndary folks, but would mandate sterilization (tubes tied/vasectomy) to ensure that the mutant genes don't make it into the populace.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Wasn't there a Rifter article on Rifts mutants?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Elthbert
Hero

Unread post by Elthbert »

duck-foot wrote:IMO. i belive the CS would most likely treat human mutants has pariahs and filth. not really trying to persucate them (its not htere fault after all). but, not helping them either. i think they would be treated like blacks were in the 50's.

They have a whole division dedicated to psionic humans, and of course a large portion of their anti supernatural forces are made up of human mutants--- psistalkers.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Elthbert wrote:
duck-foot wrote:IMO. i belive the CS would most likely treat human mutants has pariahs and filth. not really trying to persucate them (its not htere fault after all). but, not helping them either. i think they would be treated like blacks were in the 50's.

They have a whole division dedicated to psionic humans, and of course a large portion of their anti supernatural forces are made up of human mutants--- psistalkers.

Elthbert has a point; the CS is not above including human mutants when they are useful. Even discounting the normal psychic humans, the psi-stalkers more or less put the kibosh on "treated like pariahs and filth". I think it would be closer to how illegals are regarded today... they get the lousiest work conditions, and a lot of badmouthing, but no one actually does anything about them.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”