Correllation of Characteristics in MAs and OCCs

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Correllation of Characteristics in MAs

Unread post by Library Ogre »

But wouldn't you need Acrobatics for the deadliest of martial arts, Gymkata?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

Gymkata

To put it simply: Combine the mid-80s fascination with Ninjas with the mid-80's fascination with Gymnastics, and you have a terrible, terrible movie.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

:D

All Palladium Articles
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

macksting wrote:Bassai Kata is most useful to those with Weapon Katas, since the penalty it applies to parries is offset by the WP bonuses. This may apply doubly to a martial art with WP Sword used by any OCC capable of taking Fencing (Worldly Martial Artists, or really pretty much any able to take a single MA), since Fencing when stacked with a WP (the Kobu-Jutsu kata "automatically gives the character full WP," so I figure this stacks) provides a strike and parry penalty. Note also that this is the best of both worlds: the parry penalty is offset, and the strike bonus is increased.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. While it's true the stacked bonus from the W.P. will help, only if your Parry bonus is higher than your Strike bonus will the penalty from Bassai Kata be offset. I think the best option for Bassai Kata would be to attack from surprise, therefore denying your opponent a Melee Round's worth of attacks.

macksting wrote:Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu, which sounds much like an onomatopoeia for a sword fight, provides a very difficult decision. At 4 attacks base and with weapon proficiency in swords, this is a clear candidate for Bassai Kata. However, at first level that is not available. It is, however, available at 3rd, 7th, and 11th levels, but these are also the first and only opportunities for a Bugei to take a Chi Mastery skill.
So what do you choose? Bassai Kata would allow you to penetrate any defense, and your weapon proficiencies (especially if you took Fencing) will shore up your very noteworthy defenses while in melee (your preferred range.) Chi Mastery could also shore up a defense, but will not guarantee a kill the same way, especially since Shi Jin doesn't create damage through weapons.
I think a Bugei's best bet would be to take Kokyu (Body Chi) to increase weapon damage by pumping up the PS stat, then perhaps Bassai at 7th (what a long time to wait) and make the 11th level skill another Chi Mastery ability. I don't care to ponder which one. Note such a character isn't a one-trick pony; just reliable at his expertise.

Sounds like a good plan for advancement to me. Do remember though, if you have access to multiple styles, Body Hardening Exercises apply to all styles even if chosen for one style. So grab the ones that add P.P. and P.S. :D
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”