Techno-Wizardy "Wands" and Magic Foci

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Re: Techno-Wizardy "Wands" and Magic Foci

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Pretty good discussion of Techno Wizardry. Just wondering if you can do a similar writup for Ecowizards?
AlanGunhouse
Champion

My fault I think, I have been asking a few questions. Ecowizards are from Dinosaur Swamp. Basicly they are stone-age Technowizards. The can do much the same sort of enchanting Technowizards do, only using bone, leather, sinew, claw, tooth, horn, and wood rather than technological devices and refined gems. I posted a thread on some ecowizard devices I designed in the Rifts section. It will give you an idea what can be done.
livewire
Wanderer

Unread post by livewire »

hmmmm i don't think they should be a techno wizard item at all. i have not seen the ecowizards or anything but i have always seen techno wizard items as just that techno its a mix of magic and technology not magic and a piece of wood or what ever it would seem to be closer to enchanting than anything. shadowrun has rules for foci and other magic focus. i am currently working on house rules for them in rifts. if anyone is interested i'll post them here when i get done.
the world would be a better place if more people played rpg's lol
AlanGunhouse
Champion

In general, a TW or EW item has to serve a function, and the magic simply makes it serve that function better.
livewire
Wanderer

Unread post by livewire »

still don't think they are right for foci just the wrong type of magic. and tw items don't have a function as they don't work without the magic so how can magic make them function better if they need the magic just to function in the first place?
the world would be a better place if more people played rpg's lol
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

livewire wrote:still don't think they are right for foci just the wrong type of magic. and tw items don't have a function as they don't work without the magic so how can magic make them function better if they need the magic just to function in the first place?

I believe what Alan means is that the TW device has a stated purpose; your TK Rifle can't do anything with TK but what it's supposed to, which is shoot people. Now, if you wanted to create a device which somehow granted you full TK, you'd need something appropriate... maybe a set of enhanced gloves that let you use TK at a distance. It would be unlikely to be a wand... you would need to explain to me HOW the wand is a device that allows for TK, not just "I point it at things and they move."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

Ajax wrote:Wii controller

Yeah, for me that's just a way to cast "Tourette's Syndrome."

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Ajax wrote:I guess that needs to go back to the drawing board along with my nintendo console with contra game as a resurrection tw device (only works if you punch in the oringinal infinite lives cheat code).

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select, select start.

All Palladium Articles
AlanGunhouse
Champion

I do not think a Techno Wixard could do a GENERIC wand at all, and a stick is the wrong image. Try a length of conduit or a staff filled with micro cuircuitry or something like that...a mechanical basic object.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”