Magic Scroll Questions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Magic Scroll Questions

Unread post by Glistam »

1. If a magic scroll can't be recorded or reproduced in any way, could a robot or a character with bionic eyes still see the writing on it?
2. If a robot could see the writing, could the robot activate the spell by reading the writing out loud?
3. According to the Nightbane RPG magic scrolls can be made into computer files on a computer. The same limits on copying and reproduction apply. Since the words are in a computer file, can the spell be activated by a voice synthesizing program on the computer speaking the words through the computer speaker?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Magic Scroll Questions

Unread post by Mouser13 »

I think all of these would apply just magically after reading their is no record of it. They magically get remove from the files.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1: bionic yes, robot: ...... (could be iffy) GM descression
2: yes
3: It has to be a sentient reading the words aloud.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Glistam wrote:1. If a magic scroll can't be recorded or reproduced in any way, could a robot or a character with bionic eyes still see the writing on it?

Yes, it just wouldn't remember it in the long term.

2. If a robot could see the writing, could the robot activate the spell by reading the writing out loud?

Only if they had a soul.

3. According to the Nightbane RPG magic scrolls can be made into computer files on a computer. The same limits on copying and reproduction apply. Since the words are in a computer file, can the spell be activated by a voice synthesizing program on the computer speaking the words through the computer speaker?

See above.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

In general terms, a being needs to have PPE to activate a scroll, even if the scroll is not using the PPE from the being.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the Guild of Magic & Psionics Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I think, letter of the rules, all of the answers are "Yes." However, I would be somewhat uncomfortable with someone being able to hit "fn+Alt+F12" on their computer, and have its three speakers read out three different spells, which is where I see this going, so I would require, at the very least, that the computer be in some way enchanted in order to do this. Talisman would be a good option.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Dude! Rune computer! :eek:
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”