Lizard Mages = Creatures of Magic?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Lizard Mages = Creatures of Magic?

Unread post by Kagashi »

Normally it states one way or another if a critter is a Supernatural Creature, Demon, or Creature of Magic, however Rifts Conversion Book does not state for Lizard Mages.

They seem to be a bit more powerful than standard squishies that know a bunch of magic. Id say they are at least Supernatural Creatures at the very least.

Im trying to determine for the purposes of PPE channeling.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would treat them as mortals for this, they seam to me to just be more in tune with magic w/o being magic themselves.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Lizard Mages are NOT supernatural creatures. They are simply reptillian beings with a bizarre flair for magic. I recall one that was a Life Force Wizard, and those powers made him come across as almost Supernatural, but they are not.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

IIRC in non high magic worlds they are mortal but in high magic worlds like Rifts they are a Creature of Magic.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

gadrin wrote:well according to Conversion Book 1 (the old one) they are:

Legend tells us that the lizard mages were among the first rulers of
the Palladium World, perhaps even during the Age of Chaos. The
legend suggests that the lizard mages were second in power only to the
dreaded Old Ones
and that it was they who created the elven race!
Legend also credits these creatures of magic to be the masters of time,
preserving themselves by traveling to other dimensions or placing themselves
in a state of suspended animation in magic circles of great power. Circles not known to humans and their kin.

Don't know what the new version has on 'em.

Well, that's interesting. I can't recall anywhere in the new books where it calls them Creatures of magic. I could be wrong, but I don's recall. As to them being creatures of magic on Rifts and other high magic worlds, that makes sense, since the same rules apply to Minotaurs and their ilk. Not supernatural on Palladia, but become that way on Rifts.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

gadrin wrote:well according to Conversion Book 1 (the old one) they are:

Legend tells us that the lizard mages were among the first rulers of
the Palladium World, perhaps even during the Age of Chaos. The
legend suggests that the lizard mages were second in power only to the
dreaded Old Ones
and that it was they who created the elven race!
Legend also credits these creatures of magic to be the masters of time,
preserving themselves by traveling to other dimensions or placing themselves
in a state of suspended animation in magic circles of great power. Circles not known to humans and their kin.

Don't know what the new version has on 'em.

Ah, its in the Revised edition as well. Thanks for putting me in the right direction!
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They are creatures of magic in any and all dimenisons: just not all dimensions have high enough magic energy to make it USEFUL to them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

Yeah! More creatures of magic to pit against my pitful PCs. As their magic breaks them down and then lizard teeth, claws and tail-lashing rips their pitful PC bodies to shreds....HHHAAAA...HHAAA.....HHAA...HA...Hee...hee.. er...um...Oh, you all are still here, huh?

Well, I was just....um....er....oh look at the time, gotta go.
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Marcethus
Champion

I knew something about them being a creature of Magic was mentioned. I do know that in High Magic worlds they become Immortal.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Re: Lizard Mages = Creatures of Magic?

Unread post by runebeo »

They seem somewhat akin to dragons. They make good villains and alchemists.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

runebeo wrote:1) They seem somewhat akin to dragons. 2)They make good villains and alchemists.

1: no

2: yes
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marcethus
Champion

it is mentioned that they might be akin to dragons but only because like dragons they are warmblooded.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kagashi wrote:Lizard Mages = Creatures of Magic?

Yes.
dungeon666master
D-Bee

Unread post by dungeon666master »

Rifts Conversion Book P143: Lizard Mage

I think they ARE considered a supernatural creature and NOT a creature of magic as the above statements are from the background of the creature not the creatures stat block. Where it states that:

Alignment: Typically aberrant evil, but occasionally some are diabolic, miscreant or anarchist. CONSIDERED A SUPERNATURAL EVIL.

Anything tha registers as supernatural evil is a supernatural creature and not a creature of magic
The Beast

dungeon666master wrote:Rifts Conversion Book P143: Lizard Mage

I think they ARE considered a supernatural creature and NOT a creature of magic as the above statements are from the background of the creature not the creatures stat block. Where it states that:

Alignment: Typically aberrant evil, but occasionally some are diabolic, miscreant or anarchist. CONSIDERED A SUPERNATURAL EVIL.

Anything tha registers as supernatural evil is a supernatural creature and not a creature of magic

And yet the same page you just listed clearly says they are a creature of magic.
The Beast

Re:

Northern Ranger wrote:Lizard Mages are NOT supernatural creatures. They are simply reptillian beings with a bizarre flair for magic. I recall one that was a Life Force Wizard, and those powers made him come across as almost Supernatural, but they are not.

BTW: That was a gromek, not a lizard-mage, that was the Life Force Wizard from IatEotW.
Marcethus
Champion

The Beast wrote:
dungeon666master wrote:Rifts Conversion Book P143: Lizard Mage

And yet the same page you just listed clearly says they are a creature of magic.

That is because they are both. The lizard Mage is a Supernatural Evil Creature of Magic.

Some things are Supernatural. Some beings are Creatures of Magic. Others are both. The Lizard Mage is one that is Both.
The Beast

Marcethus wrote:That is because they are both. The lizard Mage is a Supernatural Evil Creature of Magic.

Some things are Supernatural. Some beings are Creatures of Magic. Others are both. The Lizard Mage is one that is Both.

I completely agree with that. I was just point out that the books specificly mention that lizard mages are CoMs.
Marcethus
Champion

The Beast wrote:
Marcethus wrote:That is because they are both. The lizard Mage is a Supernatural Evil Creature of Magic.

I completely agree with that. I was just point out that the books specificly mention that lizard mages are CoMs.

Yeah awhile back there was an arguement/discussion on here about what constitutes a creature of Magic and a Supernatural one.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

According to RUE we have a definitive lifespan, albeit changes in heavily magical areas, so we are a COM and not Supernatural. I like to think of myself as supernaturally misundeerstood not supernatural evil.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Marcethus
Champion

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:According to RUE we have a definitive lifespan, albeit changes in heavily magical areas, so we are a COM and not Supernatural. I like to think of myself as supernaturally misundeerstood not supernatural evil.

SN creatures can also have a definitive lifespan. So what does that have to do with being a COM or a SN creature?

Though as I said I still think they are both.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

A Creature of Magic is always a Supernatural Being, but a SN being is not always a CoM, the same that every Mustang is a Ford, but not all Fords are Mustangs.
Updated Aug 2015
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

Kagashi wrote:A Creature of Magic is always a Supernatural Being, but a SN being is not always a CoM, the same that every Mustang is a Ford, but not all Fords are Mustangs.

Dessicate the Supernatural, pg 217 RUE, Level 9:The spell works only on the supernatural i.e. demons, elementals, gods, alien intelligences and the like. It goes on to say rather specifically that dragons, fairies, sphinx, unicorns and a handful of other beings are Creatures of Magic which makes the immune to the spell.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kagashi wrote:A Creature of Magic is always a Supernatural Being, but a SN being is not always a CoM, the same that every Mustang is a Ford, but not all Fords are Mustangs.

No. A creature of magic is a largely biological being, for whom magic forms a major part of their biology. A supernatural creature is an a-biological creature... one who isn't precisely life as we know it. Supernatural creatures, when killed, fade away. Creatures of Magic do not.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Mark Hall wrote:

No. A creature of magic is a largely biological being, for whom magic forms a major part of their biology. A supernatural creature is an a-biological creature... one who isn't precisely life as we know it. Supernatural creatures, when killed, fade away. Creatures of Magic do not.

If SN critters faded away as RUE eludes to, how Necromancers get bones of demons to attach to their bodies? Shouldnt they fade away? How does one make armor like that found in Wrapped in Leather in Splynn Dimensional Market? How do you make armor out of something that faded away?

Because that sentence in RUE contradicts these examples and others in the large pre-RUE Rifts library, I ignore that particular RUE blurb.

The way I see it is, the only non-SN beings in Rifts are intelligent humanoids and dbee aliens (humans, elves, ogres, kittani, Grackle Tooth, etc...), and Animals (Lions, Tigers, and Bears). Everything else is supernatural including Creatures of Magic (Dragons, Faeries, Unicorns), Demons (Demons, Dyvals...Greater, Lesser, Sub), Monsters (Melech, Demon Deers, Devil Unicorns), Undead (Vampires, Bone Fiends), and Gods.

Basically, if its not on this Earth today, or what you would consider a Star Trek alien, its Supernatural (what you would consider Fantasy elements). That's how it was before RUE anyway.
Updated Aug 2015
Marcethus
Champion

Kagashi wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

If SN critters faded away as RUE eludes to, how Necromancers get bones of demons to attach to their bodies? Shouldnt they fade away? How does one make armor like that found in Wrapped in Leather in Splynn Dimensional Market? How do you make armor out of something that faded away?

Because that sentence in RUE contradicts these examples and others in the large pre-RUE Rifts library, I ignore that particular RUE blurb.

The way I see it is, the only non-SN beings in Rifts are intelligent humanoids and dbee aliens (humans, elves, ogres, kittani, Grackle Tooth, etc...), and Animals (Lions, Tigers, and Bears). Everything else is supernatural including Creatures of Magic (Dragons, Faeries, Unicorns), Demons (Demons, Dyvals...Greater, Lesser, Sub), Monsters (Melech, Demon Deers, Devil Unicorns), Undead (Vampires, Bone Fiends), and Gods.

Basically, if its not on this Earth today, or what you would consider a Star Trek alien, its Supernatural (what you would consider Fantasy elements). That's how it was before RUE anyway.

Even Pre RUE there were debates as to what all was Supernatural and Creatures of Magic as there is a distinction between both.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Mark Hall wrote:

Dragons are supernatural and there is a whole list of uses for dragon parts in Gods and Dragons plus JU has dragon hide armor

and what about the blood for dragon juicers
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kagashi wrote:If SN critters faded away as RUE eludes to, how Necromancers get bones of demons to attach to their bodies? Shouldnt they fade away? How does one make armor like that found in Wrapped in Leather in Splynn Dimensional Market? How do you make armor out of something that faded away?

Either magical preservation or, more commonly, native Supernatural creatures; if you kill a demon in hell, it remains.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”