Temples of Set

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Temples of Set

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In addition to being his own cult, Set is part of the Temple of Light and Dark, which means he can have some representation almost anywhere. I, personally, haven't used Set in my games, but he could work very well, indeed.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

There are multiple cults (which I use in the anthropologic sense of "religious body with distinct rituals") associated with the Pantheon of Light and Dark. There's a Temple of Light, where Set would get no play, save as a demonic figure. There's the Temples of Light and Dark, where Set would get reverence, or at least propitiation, as a valid object of worship. And there are the Temples of Darkness, where Set would be a major deific figure; much like the modern Temples of Satan, but with the central religious figure being considered a real being, instead of a metaphor for "what the straights don't like." This doesn't include the variety of other cults... Set's own cult, cults of the dead which might include Anubis, the Anti-Thoth cult, etc.

I would say that a Temple of Light and Dark would have a shrine to Set, and he would be represented in the artwork... they recognize him as a legitimate deity who deserves worship, even if most of their believers are good folk who don't like what he stands for... you don't ignore evil, you attempt to keep it from harming you.

In a Temple of Light, Set would be acknowledged only in a subordinate role; he DID things that were important to the religion, but as a foe of the gods worth worshiping, he would likely be presented smaller and unfavorably; a temple of Light and Dark would include positive tales about Set (breaking evil tyrants, forcing people to face up to their own inadequacies; you can find lessons in him, if you're inclined), whereas a Temple of Light would only show what he had done to wrong the gods and their worshipers... killing Osiris, tempting mortals, killing Osiris, and corrupting Bes.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Remember that Howard's Set is a somewhat different creature than the Nile's; not that you shouldn't use the source, because it sounds like it would be a great one, but rather that if your players are expecting one view of Set, and you throw an entirely different one at them, realize there will be some player/character disconnects... the characters will know that Set has always been like this, while the players may be thinking of something else.

All Palladium Articles
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

check out High seas the island of set
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Library Ogre

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:check out High seas the island of set

That doesn't really have a lot about Set, though. It's named that because the dominant culture on the island is Isisian, and as an abode of demons, it is logical that they would name it after one of Isis's greatest foes.

All Palladium Articles
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

People in ancient Egypt used to think that Set was one of the strongest gods. Afterall he was able to off Osiris. So those who worship Set would believe wholeheartely that they are workshiping the greatest deity in the pantheon.

Now lets just assume that a group of Set worshipers move to the Eastern Territories to avoid religious persecution... Now if they were successful and were well off it would only serve to prove that they were right and that Set had blessed them. (Afterall if Set didn't want them to do well then they would have died off in the hardships.)

So it's possable that entire communities could be set up to worship Set openly. Communities that might be well organized adn willing to fight should someone come about pushing another god on them.
Library Ogre

The Church of Light isn't really a sect of the CoL&D, as I understand it. They worship the same gods, but CoL doesn't accept the evil deities, or believe that you should propriate them, instead relying on the CoL's deities for protection from the Dark ones.

All Palladium Articles
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Yes as Mark understands correctly. The Church of Light and Dark is a seperate and distinct from both the Church of Light and the Church of Darkness. You can look at it like 3 different Curches.

As discribed earlier The Church of Light and Dark will have representation for all the gods under light and darkness. Wether it be statues, portrait, or other form of representation. The embodiment of all the gods are recognized herein and are given equal spotlight from its servents/priests. Of course all the areas may be seperated (depending on the size of the temple). Representation may set on different walls (possibly like a decagon shaped temple), or may have allow worship of all the gods within its small area.

The Church of Light only represents those from the Light, but as Mark said earlier, gods of Darkness are shown in the evil of their ways and at (possibly extreme) an askewed angle. The same goes for the Church of Darkness, where its worrshipers and followers worship only the gods/goddesses of those found within the gods of darkness. Although with any religion there are cults to each of the seperate gods as well, some are more extreme than others.

But all of this is much more comprehensiable than that of the Church of Dragonwright.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

mad_cyric wrote:Mh... as far as I understood the main rule book as well as Dragons & Gods the CoL&D is as successfull as it is because it keeps all it`s different sects together even though they sometimes stand on oposing sides. For me this indicated that the CoL and CoD are part of this big family. Reading the texts I allways had the impressions that between the lines you could read it as an explanation for "why the christian faith is splintered as it is and the CoL&D is not".

If not shouldn`t there be a third priest class in the main rule book? - one fitting for a general priest of the CoL&D?

For the most part, yes. But in deeper divulgance, no.

Yes, The Church of Light and Dark is successful. So many worshipers under one house (temple) can give a good income/donation. Both Priests within the main rule book state that the priest chooses a god to follow, there is just the difference of Light or Dark. That, in most cases, is all one needs to do. IF a worshiper is of the Church of Light and Dark, then they are welcome at any such Church of Light and Dark.

BUT, if the priest is of one of the gods of light- he/she will definatly not be welcome at a Church of Dark, and the same goes for the Priest of Dark (not allowed in a Church of Light). Although both priests will be allowed into a Church of Light and Dark.

To lessen confussion look at it like this: The Church of Light and Dark is THE church. All representaion, all allowing, and all accepting. Then there is the "extreme sub-sect" of 2 other churches (seperate but still a small part of The Church of Light and Dark). The Church of Light and The Church of Dark. The only way they are a part of the whole picture is that they worship the same gods- they only choose a side (Light or Dark).
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Library Ogre

I imagine that the portrayal of different deities varies between the CoD, CoL, and the CoL&D. In the CoD, the dark gods would be shown as strong, cunning, etc., and thwarted in their power by the gods of light, who don't know how the world really works, and get in the way of those with talent and ambition. They may even be presented as being just as evil, but covering it with talk of goodness to dupe the masses. In the CoL, however, the dark gods will be seen as pure evil, with no redeeming qualities. The CoL&D, would present a more moderate form of both... Set isn't twirling his moustaches for no reason, but has a purpose behind his villainy... even if it's just to refine worshipers through adversity.

All Palladium Articles
Probitas

Unread post by Probitas »

I like the way it was put in the three books about the Seventh Sword, a series written by Dave Duncan. Basically, think of the gods as facets of a jewel. Looked at one way (through the middle) two facets are in opposition to each other. Looked at another way (as a whole) each facet contributes to the one next to it, in effect working in harmony, rather than opposition. So sometimes gods war with each other, and sometimes they do not. Yes, it makes the head swim.

Or you can look at it like this:
Church of Light - Good - one sided.
Church of Dark - Evil - one sided.
Church of Light and Dark -Neutral - balanced.

IMO, the CoLaD is more evolved, since its obvious to me that evil must exist for good to have meaning, and something to strive against. Without extremes, good and evil loose much of their meanings. The more closed churches of light or dark are far those who can't appreciate more complex ideas about life. This church would see things more as a whole rather than a much more limited us against them view.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”