shoot or squash

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: shoot or squash

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I was about to sy, the trap construction skill just became totally awesome.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Just give me a good old flamethrower... Zombie Crispies. ;)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Already had one of my PCs sandwich 2 zombies between a car and a wall. Though they were lucky not to get seriously hurt as the driver rolled a 100% :eek: Since they rolled under the zombie AC the zombies were just sandwiched and not crushed.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

duck-foot wrote:
Lucky wrote:Punji pits.... deep and spiky. Dig a hole, use a construction machine perhaps, spikes (sharpened rebar works well) and cover it up with sticks and leaves, ir even a blanket -zombies are stupid.

hell i dont hink you even need a blanket, theyll just fall right in

:lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Lure a whole herd of Zombies into a narrow alleyway and then turn on the Sherman Mine flail.

While they are not 100% effective against mines. they are absolutly lethal against Biological based organisms.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Lucky wrote:
Corporal Micheal wrote:I was playing a game based on each of us as the characters trapped at our job. Paint cans off a 2 story building was one of the things we had as a plan as well as the metal 5 gallon buckets tied with rope so we could haul them up after we bashed the zombies. Marbles, cooking oil and such make great anti zombie deterents if used right its slick they fall and take awhile to get back up or crawling towards you are a bit easier to dispatch.

wow that is ruthless, I'd say a bit worse than anarchist.

In the game that my friend ran we invented a game we called "zombie bowling".

16lbs bowling ball in a net tied with 1ton test rope, goal was to see how many zombies you could drop in 5 minutes.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Corporal Micheal wrote:
I was playing a game based on each of us as the characters trapped at our job. Paint cans off a 2 story building was one of the things we had as a plan as well as the metal 5 gallon buckets tied with rope so we could haul them up after we bashed the zombies. Marbles, cooking oil and such make great anti zombie deterents if used right its slick they fall and take awhile to get back up or crawling towards you are a bit easier to dispatch.

wow that is ruthless, I'd say a bit worse than anarchist.

Gotta do what you gotta do to survive man. Kill or be killed. Like the train of thought Lucky :ok:
Rockwolf66
Hero

NinjaLemur wrote:nothing like a good old steam roller if you want to squish things or heck a tank work juts fine too

Google Sherman Crab and then read my last post. :twisted:
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

If you could get ahold of some tracked construction equipment(Bulldozers, front end loaders and such) with enclosed cabs, then you could run right over the zombies and anything else in your way. Another good zombie proof vehicle would be an armored truck(imagine the irony of clearing all that now useless money out of the back to make room for people,) if the heavy equipment goes first, the armored trucks should be able to follow easily. Not to mentioned the fact that armored car drivers are usually armed.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

A thick enough swarm will stop anything on wheels or treads, we aren't talking dozens or hundreds, we are talking thousands and hundreds of thousands ... maybe millions.
:?

That's what happened in the last Dawn of the Dead movie. The vehicles had the momentum, but due to the huge mass of zombies they eventually were clogged in and were not moving no matter how hard they tried to make headway.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Nightbreed wrote:
A thick enough swarm will stop anything on wheels or treads, we aren't talking dozens or hundreds, we are talking thousands and hundreds of thousands ... maybe millions.
:?

That's what happened in the last Dawn of the Dead movie. The vehicles had the momentum, but due to the huge mass of zombies they eventually were clogged in and were not moving no matter how hard they tried to make headway.

Yes, but an earthmover of some kind might be able to get through. After all, they are designed tp push stuff.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Rockwolf66
Hero

Not that much stuff Shiva.

I myself am thinking along the lines of Killing fields and lureing only a few thousand at most into prepared positions. Once said Zombies are put in a position of limited Mobility and managable numbers then one kills them off and burns the bodies and the ground they are on. With Zombies one has to think massive assaults by doped up fanatics for the general Idea.

As for my Bitten wounded I would send them into the largest swarm I could find with a deadman switched Incendiary charge.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:Not that much stuff Shiva.

I myself am thinking along the lines of Killing fields and lureing only a few thousand at most into prepared positions. Once said Zombies are put in a position of limited Mobility and managable numbers then one kills them off and burns the bodies and the ground they are on. With Zombies one has to think massive assaults by doped up fanatics for the general Idea.

As for my Bitten wounded I would send them into the largest swarm I could find with a deadman switched Incendiary charge.

The Deadman Switch is a very nice touch! :ok:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:Not that much stuff Shiva.

I was thinking along the lines of getting out of town through a horde of zombies; remember they are still flesh and bone; if a 30 ton machine runs over them, they are jelly. And remember, we are talking about several small objects here, not one large heavy object. I honestly doubt they could stop a Caterpillar D8 or D9 bulldozer. Can anyone cite a close real world example to help settle this? That being said, I do like your killing fields idea.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Well, you have to remember the law of inertia, in that your thirty ton bulldozer may be able to push a huge amount of earth, however, your pressing against thousands of individual pockets of 120-230 lbs all working together to press against your advance. So, yeah, you may be able to pudding the first few dozen or so, you would still end up stuck. Now, if you had a way to make the number you are attempting to handle less at a time, it might work, for instance, a reaper (not sure of proper name, farming equipment with blades that pulls stock inside, and spits the chaff out the back) that was modified into a woodchipper type deal, should work fine, since your not pitting your might against the combined might of thousands, instead dealing with them bit by bit, though you may get swamped because your moving too slow. Personally, I like the idea of napalm bombardment from orbit, its the only way to be sure.......
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shady Character wrote:Severite I think you are talking about a Thresher, and that is a inspired idea. :twisted:

Im glad you like it, an expanded idea include oversized fuel canisters welded to the sides with flame throwers (home made) perched on top. To avoid colateral damage, and being roasted alive, substitute .50 cal with spare amunition, though that would get pretty wasteful
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Severite wrote:Well, you have to remember the law of inertia, in that your thirty ton bulldozer may be able to push a huge amount of earth, however, your pressing against thousands of individual pockets of 120-230 lbs all working together to press against your advance. So, yeah, you may be able to pudding the first few dozen or so, you would still end up stuck. Now, if you had a way to make the number you are attempting to handle less at a time, it might work, for instance, a reaper (not sure of proper name, farming equipment with blades that pulls stock inside, and spits the chaff out the back) that was modified into a woodchipper type deal, should work fine, since your not pitting your might against the combined might of thousands, instead dealing with them bit by bit, though you may get swamped because your moving too slow. Personally, I like the idea of napalm bombardment from orbit, its the only way to be sure.......

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here(no pun intended,) but i still think I'm right. Unless Dead Reign is radically different from any zombie movie I've ever seen, zombies do not work together as a group(unless that is what thinker zombies do.) I know a little about how these things work in the real world, and unless you know more than I do, I will maintain that I am right. And I do not feel that the thresher idea is a good one, as I feel it would clog up quickly.A better bet would be one of those large machines like you see cutting down rain forests.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Captain Shiva wrote:
Severite wrote:Well, you have to remember the law of inertia, in that your thirty ton bulldozer may be able to push a huge amount of earth, however, your pressing against thousands of individual pockets of 120-230 lbs all working together to press against your advance. So, yeah, you may be able to pudding the first few dozen or so, you would still end up stuck. Now, if you had a way to make the number you are attempting to handle less at a time, it might work, for instance, a reaper (not sure of proper name, farming equipment with blades that pulls stock inside, and spits the chaff out the back) that was modified into a woodchipper type deal, should work fine, since your not pitting your might against the combined might of thousands, instead dealing with them bit by bit, though you may get swamped because your moving too slow. Personally, I like the idea of napalm bombardment from orbit, its the only way to be sure.......

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here(no pun intended,) but i still think I'm right. Unless Dead Reign is radically different from any zombie movie I've ever seen, zombies do not work together as a group(unless that is what thinker zombies do.) I know a little about how these things work in the real world, and unless you know more than I do, I will maintain that I am right. And I do not feel that the thresher idea is a good one, as I feel it would clog up quickly.A better bet would be one of those large machines like you see cutting down rain forests.

Logging machine......sure, might be better, mostly I was thinking mobile wood chipper, so either way.......

As for working together, the movie's show the zombies interest in food, you are food, now, granted, this assumes that they are aware of you, if they are spaced apart, a mack truck with a front end attachment might work very well.

The scenario I have in my head are zombies that are effectively packed together for miles, trying to beat the walls down, and you need to get through. Driving your caterpiller will get you stopped from the sheer amount of force arrayed against you, for instance, I have watched cars get swept away by 2' of flowing water, and I dont mean slowly moving away, I mean holy crap watch it go.....8 seconds later car cant be seen.

But, if you disagree here, I'm not a physics major, so I cant run the numbers for you, so I'll pretty much just let it go, heh.
velcRomanceR
Wanderer
Location: Being an interdimensional party provider/tour guide, I never know with any certainty where I'll be.

Unread post by velcRomanceR »

Fill a building's floors with explosives - this could take a while. Lure the zombies inside from the bottom to the top. Take a helicopter away from the building.

:-o DETONATE

Twist the cap off your beer. And witness your glorious triumph.
Nothing is true, all is permitted
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Captain Shiva wrote:

Now, if your zombies are packed in there like brain munching sardines, then I will concede that my earthmover idea may run into problems. But at the same time, I do not see a better alternative. If they are packed that tight, that suggests that the area you are in is a major city with a high population density like New York or Tokyo. In that case, getting out via ground travel is problematical. My suggestion is this case would be to sneak out though the sewer system or escape by air. Now another idea occurred to me:many major cities have gas lines running under the streets. If you could figure out a way to trigger a widespread explosion, that might thin the zombies out a bit..but that could easily turn around and bite you in the nether regions as well, destroying your refuge.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Captain Shiva wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:

Now, if your zombies are packed in there like brain munching sardines, then I will concede that my earthmover idea may run into problems. But at the same time, I do not see a better alternative. If they are packed that tight, that suggests that the area you are in is a major city with a high population density like New York or Tokyo. In that case, getting out via ground travel is problematical. My suggestion is this case would be to sneak out though the sewer system or escape by air. Now another idea occurred to me:many major cities have gas lines running under the streets. If you could figure out a way to trigger a widespread explosion, that might thin the zombies out a bit..but that could easily turn around and bite you in the nether regions as well, destroying your refuge.

I have to agree, if your in the city there are not a ton of good options, but for ground travel, a wood chipper that pulls them in and spits them out the back and decent side defense is your best bet.......the faster you can clear and maintain a ciscumference, the better. The best bet would be air transport via helicopter, for getting out, but assuming all equipment is equally available, the thresher/woodchipper would be easier to drive/figure out. Helicopter>? Not a chance.

The the sewer idea has merit, but the huge sewers that we see in movies (from what I understand) are not the norms for most modern sewer systems, and while there are service tunnels, the chances of them taking you where you need to go, and avoid exposure, are slim. Not to mention, nothing says there may not zombie infestation even here, on top of other standard hazards with the sewer system.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

I would build Ash's car from the end of Army of Darkness: kill them with camp.

In reality, I would choose something like a modified Catepillar 797B. rig up something like a mine flail, but that swings horizontally instead of vertically - think: LINE TRIMMER OF DEATH!
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

Check this out.......and make sure you wear your rain slicker.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/459942/got_snow/
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Plan 1: Get one of those huge cranes and several of those containers (those big metal ones that are hauled by 18 wheelers). Use crane as one big-ass hammer, with a deep pit for the zombies to fall into (gives new meaning to the phrase 'mosh pit'). For best effect have some 'bait' out front, and the only way in be right into the path of danger.

Plan 2: Go to an open pit mine, hang some bait out over the hole, once hole is full, pump in the diesel and set on fire. Lather, rinse, and repeat as necessary.

Plan 3: Find a tall, fortified building (or make an existing one meet those conditions). Put up a sign in an obvious place reading something along the lines of “Hop on one foot while flapping arms like chicken or you will be shot in the head”. Proceed to follow up on said threat on whoever doesn’t obey.

Plan 4: Make or ‘acquire’ a large amount of claymore mines. Plant them about five feet off the ground and on remote detonators, include video cameras for the explosives. When the shamblers get too close, blast them to pieces. Since the bombs are at an elevated position, they should, theoretically decapitate the freaks, or at least fill their head full of little bitty metal balls.

Plan 5: Divert a river around your house/hideout/stronghold, let all the zombies sweep right on by you and bug somebody else.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net

Return to “Dead Reign™”