I need peoples thoughts on Cyber and Mystic Knights

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

I need peoples thoughts on Cyber and Mystic Knights

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Give me a list of Rules questions you have had for either class.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: I need peoples thoughts on Cyber and Mystic Knights

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Do they travel faster if someone follows behind them, clopping coconut halves?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

killgore wrote:
Zerebus wrote:What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Cyber-Knight Swallow R.C.C.?

Is there a difference in speed of an African or European Cyber-Knight Swallow? :P

:bites tongue:

Seriously, though, ratty, I'll take a gander at the OCCs and see what I can see as things that might be problematic.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The biggest question that always comes up with my group is how do you deal with CKs from races with natural psychics. It is mentioned in the later CK versions, but doesn't always match up to NPCS that are in writing.

We have never really had issues with Mystic Knights, but I usually play them as an evil force. We just haven't had the White Rose pop up as more then rumor.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

RockJock wrote:The biggest question that always comes up with my group is how do you deal with CKs from races with natural psychics. It is mentioned in the later CK versions, but doesn't always match up to NPCS that are in writing.

We have never really had issues with Mystic Knights, but I usually play them as an evil force. We just haven't had the White Rose pop up as more then rumor.

NPC's don't always follow the rules, so looking to them can be problematic. One thing that I want clarified is whether or not scarecrows can be Mystic knights? (p.s. no they can't, but i want to see it in writing)
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I really don't think the classes are particularly bad. All they really get is the ability to run around naked for a while after their armor is destroyed and some cool secondary abilities. They're good characters.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I'd like to know if MK energy resistance powers confir to their armor in writing.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

would the holy hand grenade of antioch trigger a cyber knights tech sense?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Library Ogre

Actually, csbiogorg's question raised one in my mind: How does their anti-tech combat interact with techno-wizardry?

All Palladium Articles
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Mark Hall wrote:Actually, csbiogorg's question raised one in my mind: How does their anti-tech combat interact with techno-wizardry?

thats in the Description of the class ability, it works like normal tech.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Yeah, anything more advanced than a bow and arrow can be affected, if I recall correctly.

And it is techno-wizardry. Normal magic and psionics doesn't apply, nor do rune weapons and such, but the TW stuff crosses the line.

My only question/concern has to do with cyber armor. In the original book (which I don't have, and thus can't look up), I'm pretty sure everyone could get cyber armor. It was listed in the section on cybernetics and bionics. It didn't grow or self-regenerate, but it was available. In RUE, that has been omitted. Additionally, the availability of the cyber armor that CKs get seems sketchy at best. Their training and orientation is too spread out for it to be common if it was only available from 1-2 sources. And if it was more commonly available, why hasn't it been copied and duplicated by those with the motive and means to do so? For example, I could easily see the Knights of the White Rose going for a little extra protection from their TWs. It just seems inconsistant.

Also, I think it was a mistake to wave Dues Ex Machina at this one. I'd have rather seen it implemented as some technology-based armor, with the ability to grow stronger over time and (perhaps a more limited) ability regenerate explained by a combination of "memory metal" and nano machines similiar to the RMSS medical kits. A version like that would be a very realistic and useful application for SDC humans in combat/police occupations, similar to how cops today wear bullet proof vests and carry back-up weapons. Ya never know. (And, similarly, not everyone would choose to bother with the trade-offs of such extra protection.)

Also, given that cyber armor (the CK version) is a living armor after level 3, how would you interpret the spell Lifeward to work on it?

I believe that they have normal cyberarmor that starts to mystically bond with them
so it should be the normal stuff bought off the market
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Balabanto
Champion

Lifeward is a tricky spell, but since all it does is convert MDC into SDC AFTER the attack hits, guess what? It goes to your SDC and hit points if it bypasses the AR on the Cyberarmor. That's all. It really doesn't make a difference.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I use Cyber-knight as per RUE/SoT4...

As for Mystic Knights...
Good Aligment = Mystic Knight
Evil Aligment = Death Knight
Selfish go either way...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Burulovesyou wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:I use Cyber-knight as per RUE/SoT4...

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Huh? Aren't good knights the knights of the white rose and the evil guys mystic knights?

Canonically, yes. But in his game, apparently not.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
dark brandon
Knight

Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Huh? Aren't good knights the knights of the white rose and the evil guys mystic knights?

Not really.

You can be a good mystic knight and not be a member of the white rose, and nothing says a white rose MK has to be good. WR is an organization.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
The Galactus Kid

dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

You can be a good mystic knight and not be a member of the white rose, and nothing says a white rose MK has to be good. WR is an organization.

True. While many of the Knights of the White Rose are good, there are some (more than you would think) that aren't. While some disagreed with the Order of the Mystic Knights and their evil tactics, others just thought that siding with the knights of the White Rose would be more profitable, or were running from something, etc. As dark brandon said, the white rose is an organization, and not all of them follow the same strict code of ethics as some of the others. Miscreant and Aberrant alignments would probably be most common.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

The Galactus Kid wrote:True. While many of the Knights of the White Rose are good, there are some (more than you would think) that aren't.

Umm...are you dropping hints at something that may end up in canon later on? Like a war within the Mystic Knights? WR vs. MK's with full betrayal all over the place?
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

rat_bastard wrote:Give me a list of Rules questions you have had for either class.

Are they bigger than a shoe box? Which one is made of wood?
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
csbioborg
Champion

The Galactus Kid wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

True. While many of the Knights of the White Rose are good, there are some (more than you would think) that aren't. While some disagreed with the Order of the Mystic Knights and their evil tactics, others just thought that siding with the knights of the White Rose would be more profitable, or were running from something, etc. As dark brandon said, the white rose is an organization, and not all of them follow the same strict code of ethics as some of the others. Miscreant and Aberrant alignments would probably be most common.

Its been a bit since I read madhaven but I swear that good alignment was a requsite for the OCC since they psckicly read you to make sure. Then you did write it
The Galactus Kid

csbioborg wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

Its been a bit since I read madhaven but I swear that good alignment was a requsite for the OCC since they psckicly read you to make sure. Then you did write it

I believe that it is primarily good and selfish alignments. Evil alignments are not welcomed with open arms, but its really hard to tell when someone is borderline selfish and evil.

dark brandon
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:
I believe that it is primarily good and selfish alignments. Evil alignments are not welcomed with open arms, but its really hard to tell when someone is borderline selfish and evil.

Also, note that Alignments can change over time. To be trained, you may have to be good or selfish, but that doesn't mean over the course of adventuring you don't turn evil.
Balabanto
Champion

The Galactus Kid wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

Text as written says that the order makes sure there are no evil members for KOWR
csbioborg
Champion

Balabanto wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

Text as written says that the order makes sure there are no evil members for KOWR

that is what I thought it says could you quote me that line from the OCC descption
that says that.
dark brandon
Knight

Balabanto wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:

As for Mystic Knights...
Selfish go either way...

Not really.

It probably falls on the same line that MK have, that says there are no good members. While training you probably are a good character, but after that (after 1st) your alignment can change based on decitions and circumstances.
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Burulovesyou wrote:
dark brandon wrote:I'd like to know if MK energy resistance powers confir to their armor in writing.

Or hell, impervious to energy in general! :lol:

Niether applies to armor. For a full referance refer to the topic being discussed in the Psionic & Magic forum.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
dark brandon
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:
dark brandon wrote:I'd like to know if MK energy resistance powers confir to their armor in writing.

Or hell, impervious to energy in general! :lol:

Niether applies to armor. For a full referance refer to the topic being discussed in the Psionic & Magic forum.

I did. Both sides made very good points.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true. :P
Temporalmage
Hero

Burulovesyou wrote:Still would like to see it in writing, if only to end the debate for good :D

You should keep checking on the Psionics and Magic forum.
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Temporalmage wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:Still would like to see it in writing, if only to end the debate for good :D
I believe he means in canon.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Temporalmage
Hero

Burulovesyou wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:
I believe he means in canon.

Yeah... Thought that was apparent but ah well. Still would like to see it in writing in the BOOKS. Better? No amount of arguing from players is going to end a debate for good :lol:

Amen.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

With the Cyber-Knight's psi-sword being so much weaker than a true psi-sword wouldn't make sense for them to seek out Amaki TW Psi-Blade? Couldn't a techno-wizard be able to reproduce a few copies for theses famed champions? I can't see them making any game unbalanced since there's a laser sword in one of the newer books that deal 5D6 M.D. add in the +1D6 from fencing for 6D6. I still rather use a rifle to blast from a good distance, but there should be some advantages for the risk of getting so near the enemy other than saving money on E-Clips.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

runebeo wrote:With the Cyber-Knight's psi-sword being so much weaker than a true psi-sword wouldn't make sense for them to seek out Amaki TW Psi-Blade? Couldn't a techno-wizard be able to reproduce a few copies for theses famed champions? I can't see them making any game unbalanced since there's a laser sword in one of the newer books that deal 5D6 M.D. add in the +1D6 from fencing for 6D6. I still rather use a rifle to blast from a good distance, but there should be some advantages for the risk of getting so near the enemy other than saving money on E-Clips.

On the Amaki psi-blade issue:
sure, if a Cyber knight can get his hand on one or two he's gonna brag to his other cyber knight pals and they are all gonna want one. However its not as easy you would think. The Amaki Psi-tech is not a techno wizard, he's close but he is not a techno wizard, and while his abilities work as an interesting counterpoint they are pretty much exclusive to a small part of south america.

that said, you can get a TW to bang something out with the Power Weapon spell, and I do plan on including that in a listing of Cyber knight equipment.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

RockJock wrote:The biggest question that always comes up with my group is how do you deal with CKs from races with natural psychics. It is mentioned in the later CK versions, but doesn't always match up to NPCS that are in writing.

Very good, I have to think on this but don't expect NPCs to conform to nay sort of canon, there is allot of GM and player tinkering in any combination and its probably impossible to make a smooth set of rules unless you want a 300 page book of this is how each race would be statted as a Cyber knight.

This is definatly gonna be answered in writing along with "does energy resistance work on a psi-sword?"

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Also, given that cyber armor (the CK version) is a living armor after level 3, how would you interpret the spell Lifeward to work on it?

I'll look into it.

Burulovesyou wrote:I'd like to know if cyber-knights with more than two arms, such as rahu-men (etc.), would be able to create more than two psi-weapons eventually. I've heard arguments for it, cannon suggests otherwise in that it only states two but it also doesn't take into account strange races for a few things, such as the cyber armor.

Since I can only think of one multiple armed critter that can have psionics (no Snelling cyber knight for me) this one may be answerable, it may result in four diminished psi-swords though.
The Galactus Kid

rat_bastard wrote:
Burulovesyou wrote:I'd like to know if cyber-knights with more than two arms, such as rahu-men (etc.), would be able to create more than two psi-weapons eventually. I've heard arguments for it, cannon suggests otherwise in that it only states two but it also doesn't take into account strange races for a few things, such as the cyber armor.

Since I can only think of one multiple armed critter that can have psionics (no Snelling cyber knight for me) this one may be answerable, it may result in four diminished psi-swords though.

I wouldn't personally diminish the swords, but I would clarify how paired weapons with multiple arms works.

Balabanto
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:
runebeo wrote:With the Cyber-Knight's psi-sword being so much weaker than a true psi-sword wouldn't make sense for them to seek out Amaki TW Psi-Blade? Couldn't a techno-wizard be able to reproduce a few copies for theses famed champions? I can't see them making any game unbalanced since there's a laser sword in one of the newer books that deal 5D6 M.D. add in the +1D6 from fencing for 6D6. I still rather use a rifle to blast from a good distance, but there should be some advantages for the risk of getting so near the enemy other than saving money on E-Clips.

On the Amaki psi-blade issue:
sure, if a Cyber knight can get his hand on one or two he's gonna brag to his other cyber knight pals and they are all gonna want one. However its not as easy you would think. The Amaki Psi-tech is not a techno wizard, he's close but he is not a techno wizard, and while his abilities work as an interesting counterpoint they are pretty much exclusive to a small part of south america.

that said, you can get a TW to bang something out with the Power Weapon spell, and I do plan on including that in a listing of Cyber knight equipment.

It does not matter what the Amaki is.

This is a TW item. The text says so.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Balabanto wrote:It does not matter what the Amaki is.

This is a TW item. The text says so.
I may have missed it, but explain how it's getting from the tip of South America to North America, please.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Balabanto
Champion

All it takes is one Ley Line Walker, or another character that can phase between nexuses.

The problem is that it says in the description of the item that some Cyberknights already have these things.

I would think it's because they have allies who are True Atlanteans and are willing to go get some, but that's just a guess.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Maybe, but I'd rule very few CKs have them and few know where to get them.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Balabanto
Champion

The thing is, all cyberknights work on word of mouth, and this book is dated 105 P.A. So effectively, that's four years of word of mouth. I really don't care if PC's add another 2d6 to their psi sword damage. At low levels, the damage isn't as good as a JA-12, which you can get in chargen, and at high levels, it's just another 2d6. So what? If the item added 10d6, I would be like "Stop this. Hell no." But it's really not that big a deal.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

It's not the damage, it's the fact that the item comes from across the globe.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Temporalmage
Hero

Misfit KotLD wrote:It's not the damage, it's the fact that the item comes from across the globe.

Durring the Tolkeen war the Tolkenites scoured the Megaverse looking for weapons and allies to help against the CS. Seems that if they looked all over the Megaverse they could have easily found somthing as close as South America.
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

The Rahu-man case brings up an age old problem for me. A defininete projection of how becoming a Cyber-knight affects D-bees RCC's innate powers, like psionics, would be nice. The SoT: 4 says: D'norr, Noli, Quick-flex, and Psi Stalkers ARE cyber-knights and give a percentage breakdown of the D-bees in the fellowship.

Now how does being a Cyber-knight affect a RCC's? I understand years of training allow Quick-flex Aliens, and other naturally non-psionic RCC's, to form a psi-sword and shield. What about the psi-heavy RCC's that have natural psionics or other innate powers like the Psi Stalker? Do they lose these natural powers in becoming a Cyber-knight?
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Zerebus wrote:There are two Cyber-Knight variations in the Arzno worldbook that pique my interest.

1. There's a Rahu-Man Cyber-Knight in Arzno and the aforementioned R.C.C. does allow the class so there's nothing overtly strange about it. In addition, the Arzno character seems to be a good reference for Cyber-Armor on four armed giants. However, we currently lack generalized rules for Cyber-Armor on non-standard bodies (giant, tiny, more than two arms, arms with extra length or joints, tentacles, extra legs, centaur style bodies, wings, etc).

2. There's a Native American Cyber-Knight in Arzno who rejects all the tech-using aspects of the class, but not the Zen anti-tech combat skill. A low-tech version of the Cyber-Knight class would be nice to see.

Also the Native American CK in the book has the Native American OCC Mystic Warrior OCC abilties of Psi-tomahawk and Psi-Spear, etc...but she is list just as a CK and not a dual occ character.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Rifts®”