what ever happened to the PF book of magic?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: what ever happened to the PF book of magic?

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Mark's book is still waiting to come out.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In theory, they're talking about it in January. Not to be released then... just when they'll look at it, along with their other manuscripts.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you have been a PB game player for a while you'd know to not take the origanal target date as canon. Rifts Lamura (however you spell it) was to have come out about 12 years ago and it still hasen't, due to other book ideas getting in the way. I'm just glad Mysteries of Magic is still on the short list for books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Probitas

Unread post by Probitas »

They need to change the business model, that's pretty much all of it in a nut shell. The job has gotten too big for them. This is where most control nuts lose it big time, because they can't manage it all themselves.

By the time they might finish printing some of the books that have been advertised as 'coming soon', most of us will be retired.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Probitas wrote:They need to change the business model, that's pretty much all of it in a nut shell. The job has gotten too big for them. This is where most control nuts lose it big time, because they can't manage it all themselves.

By the time they might finish printing some of the books that have been advertised as 'coming soon', most of us will be retired.

As its been said time and time again. The big picture that all PF fans have to look at is this: PF is Mr. K.S's baby. Like a brand new toy gotten on christmas day, he wants to keep this one all for himself letting only a select honorable few play with it. Eric Wujcik and Bill Coffin were mainly 2 of these few, as well as Thom Bartold, Steve Edwards, and a few others that were able to provide additional text to books done back in the day.

I dont blame him. While I respect his opinion on this matter- at the same time i disagree with it. Its a catch 22, a double edged sword, an absolute conundrum.

On one hand you got KS who protects the PF world from dilution and pollution by selecting and personally editing every PF manuscript that comes thru. With this in mind it keeps more of a unique and whole to PF itself. This way PF doesn't go the way of RIFTS and bleed into contradictions and a pollution that can overpower itself overnight.

On the other hand RIFTS, having many different people work on different areas, has more books. Even if some are better than others, and some just filler- it stands a better chance in the market have various books for the players, GMs, and collectors. While this is good for RIFTS, it may not stand the same for PF as we have seen a majority of us have different takes on rules and have house rules as well (some that contradict the rules themselves).

And yes I know KS edits the RIFTS books too- but with PF it seems to be done more carefully, more selective.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Mark Hall wrote:In theory, they're talking about it in January. Not to be released then... just when they'll look at it, along with their other manuscripts.

I just hope when they finally do get to publish it, they make enough copies for us to buy them up and have it got out of print within the first 2 months.
- the Book

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Entiago wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:In theory, they're talking about it in January. Not to be released then... just when they'll look at it, along with their other manuscripts.

I just hope when they finally do get to publish it, they make enough copies for us to buy them up and have it got out of print within the first 2 months.

I'm buying three! (One for me, one for my group and one in reserve because I know one of the first two will not last long due to overuse!) :-D
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Citizen Lazlo wrote:I have been looking forward to this book for years now.

:(

So has Mark! :D
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:

I don't know what you mean. I can read it any time I like. I think my favorite chapter is Chapter 8, on the miscellaneous magics (warlocks, cobblers, psi-mystics, & witches); the new warlocks are neat, and the look into the mentality of psi-mystics gets my ideas bubbling. I think I'm most proud of Chapter 5, about summoning, though; I did some creative things, there.

What's your favorite chapter? :-p

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

I don't know what you mean. I can read it any time I like. I think my favorite chapter is Chapter 8, on the miscellaneous magics (warlocks, cobblers, psi-mystics, & witches); the new warlocks are neat, and the look into the mentality of psi-mystics gets my ideas bubbling. I think I'm most proud of Chapter 5, about summoning, though; I did some creative things, there.

:thwak: :badbad:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Mark Hall wrote:I don't know what you mean. I can read it any time I like. I think my favorite chapter is Chapter 8, on the miscellaneous magics (warlocks, cobblers, psi-mystics, & witches); the new warlocks are neat, and the look into the mentality of psi-mystics gets my ideas bubbling. I think I'm most proud of Chapter 5, about summoning, though; I did some creative things, there.

That is down right mean.

about as mean as putting an expected release date on any PF book.
:thwak: :thwak: :thwak: :thwak: :thwak:

bad Mark bad.

although i have to say my favorite chapter is 7. but not for anyone in particular.
- the Book

Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

You are a wicked, wicked man. No wonder I like you!

Really though, looking forward to this one. Have been for a long time my man. Good luck with it.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Any chance you guys could share? :D
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

I like chapter 2 best. That time machine is really useful. I appreciate it most at times like these. :P
Library Ogre

gaaahhhh wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

I like chapter 2 best. That time machine is really useful. I appreciate it most at times like these. :P

Which part did you like best about chapter 2? ;-)

All Palladium Articles
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Mark Hall wrote:
gaaahhhh wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

So has Mark!

Which part did you like best about chapter 2? ;-)

I would say, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else. :angel:
Library Ogre

gaaahhhh wrote:I would say, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else. :angel:

Wonderful answer!

All Palladium Articles
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:Mark can't because his book is being published eventually, so it is Palladium property.

I am kicking around turning Legacy of the Bearmen into a Net Book.

so you didnt sign a treaty for this one (if youre wondering about the choice of words...been watching SW: Episode I again yesterday :wink: )?
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”