Rune Weapons?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Rune Weapons?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Castlerake... it doesn't just shoot through schools, it destroys buildings.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

Yeah, Castlerake is very likely the most destructive but there are others of equal but "different" power. Take Mindprancer as a example, it gives you pretty much every psionic power ...in addition to some other abilities! :D
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Castlerake is very powerful, but doesn't an Indian (=Hindu) deity of magic developed the "Shifter" - a rune weapon that can change it's "type" - like into a Sword of Atlantis, then into an Impaler and so on. IMHO, this is the most powerful rune weapon in the megaverse.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

a bit off topic but I really like how PF gives a back story and unique powers to each rune weapon

Compare that to Atlantis and Syplnn where there is a list of generic rune weapons

it seems to take away from the unqiueness and rarity of rune weapons when you have standard issue rune weapons for high lord

PF each weapon has at least a paragraph stroy even if its a lesser rune weapon
you really get the feeling this has history behind it

my favorite is the dwark waraxe where the guy killed 1000 in a day with and gave up the sword apparently becoming a enlightend immortal someplace
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

csbioborg wrote:a bit off topic but I really like how PF gives a back story and unique powers to each rune weapon

Compare that to Atlantis and Syplnn where there is a list of generic rune weapons

it seems to take away from the unqiueness and rarity of rune weapons when you have standard issue rune weapons for high lord

my favorite is the dwark waraxe where the guy killed 1000 in a day with and gave up the sword apparently becoming a enlightend immortal someplace

Thats a GOOD thing. In Rifts, technology often exceeds the capability of rune weapons for a much cheaper production cost. Oh look! A sword of Atlantis! *meh* sell it and buy 2 glitter boys.

Besides, Palladium is in a dimensional corner of the megaverse. Rifts Earth is a dimensional nexus, granting the potential infinite number of rune smiths from an infinite number of dimensions the chance to practice their trade under spluugorth slave masters :D
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Starmage21 wrote: granting the potential infinite number of rune smiths from an infinite number of dimensions the chance to practice their trade under spluugorth slave masters :D

Or more likely be mind-raped until they're gibbering idiots incapable of creating runic items.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

9voltkilowatt wrote:
Starmage21 wrote: granting the potential infinite number of rune smiths from an infinite number of dimensions the chance to practice their trade under spluugorth slave masters :D

Or more likely be mind-raped until they're gibbering idiots incapable of creating runic items.

Actually, it's stated the splurgorth do nither. They simply ENSLAVE them, and force them to work in their "runic factories" that churn out aforementioned "generic" rune weapons :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

Actually, aren't a rather large number of High Lords Rune masters?

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Mark Hall wrote:Actually, aren't a rather large number of High Lords Rune masters?

Yes. I also hate the feel of rune weapons/lost ancient arts in Rifts, so I have adjusted my campaign quite a bit to acomodate them.

There are 'generic' rune weapons, but they are of the light 'lesser' rune weapon variety. Similar to the Rune dagger in the temple of Aco adventure in Old ones 1st edition.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Actually, it's stated the splurgorth do nither. They simply ENSLAVE them, and force them to work in their "runic factories" that churn out aforementioned "generic" rune weapons :D

Atlantis, pg 127, under "GM Note": The secrets of rune magic should never be learned by any player character, and anyone who steals or develops any part of the mystic knowledge will be hunted down and destroyed by the Splugorth regardless of the cost.

I don't remember ever seeing anywhere in the books where it mentions the Splugorth enslaving runic masters, every reference I can recall always mentions how they are hunted down and destroyed. Can you give a book and page number where it mentions enslavement?

Mark Hall wrote:Actually, aren't a rather large number of High Lords Rune masters?

As for the Highlords being Rune Masters, well, thats a little misleading. Highlord Rune Masters can read runes and magic symbols, understand the rudimentary concepts and procedures behind rune magic but cannot actually create rune items.

Atlantis, pg 44, First section.
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

9voltkilowatt wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Actually, it's stated the splurgorth do nither. They simply ENSLAVE them, and force them to work in their "runic factories" that churn out aforementioned "generic" rune weapons :D

Atlantis, pg 127, under "GM Note": The secrets of rune magic should never be learned by any player character, and anyone who steals or develops any part of the mystic knowledge will be hunted down and destroyed by the Splugorth regardless of the cost.

I don't remember ever seeing anywhere in the books where it mentions the Splugorth enslaving runic masters, every reference I can recall always mentions how they are hunted down and destroyed. Can you give a book and page number where it mentions enslavement?

Pantheons book under the asgardian dwarves, mentions that a percentage of them are Rune Smiths, and that when they travle they are sometimes hunted by splugorths for capture.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Temporalmage wrote:
9voltkilowatt wrote:

Pantheons book under the asgardian dwarves, mentions that a percentage of them are Rune Smiths, and that when they travle they are sometimes hunted by splugorths for capture.

Thank you. That's what I was refering to. There's also a note about the blessed Cyclopse of Hephestus having rune magic too and hiding it because they don't wanna be taken.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Starmage21 wrote:
csbioborg wrote:a bit off topic but I really like how PF gives a back story and unique powers to each rune weapon

Thats a GOOD thing. In Rifts, technology often exceeds the capability of rune weapons for a much cheaper production cost. Oh look! A sword of Atlantis! *meh* sell it and buy 2 glitter boys.

Besides, Palladium is in a dimensional corner of the megaverse. Rifts Earth is a dimensional nexus, granting the potential infinite number of rune smiths from an infinite number of dimensions the chance to practice their trade under spluugorth slave masters :D

sure but that dosen't explain the creature you bound to the weapon being identical to the next. In PF the personlity of the weapon influences its powers. A fire lemental is not going to have huge water powers.

Also even if a huge number of people know rune magic that does not mean they have access to deific beings required for greatest rune weapons at a tip of the hat. Which sword of atlantis and that entire list are
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Starmage21
Adventurer

csbioborg wrote:sure but that dosen't explain the creature you bound to the weapon being identical to the next. In PF the personlity of the weapon influences its powers. A fire lemental is not going to have huge water powers.

Also even if a huge number of people know rune magic that does not mean they have access to deific beings required for greatest rune weapons at a tip of the hat. Which sword of atlantis and that entire list are

I'd say that might be evidence that the entrapped being is nothing more than a power source.

Greatest Rune Weapons might not necessarily require full blown gods, but maybe beings with powers on that scale. Basically other intelligences which might include rival spluugorth, really powerful mortals, and the like.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

9voltkilowatt wrote:Yeah, Castlerake is very likely the most destructive but there are others of equal but "different" power. Take Mindprancer as a example, it gives you pretty much every psionic power ...in addition to some other abilities! :D

What book is Mindprancer listed in?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Yes. I also hate the feel of rune weapons/lost ancient arts in Rifts, so I have adjusted my campaign quite a bit to acomodate them.

There are 'generic' rune weapons, but they are of the light 'lesser' rune weapon variety. Similar to the Rune dagger in the temple of Aco adventure in Old ones 1st edition.[/quote]
If you have ever read Fred Saberhagen's Swords series, the magic swords in there each have a diffferent power, and they have drawbacks as well. For instance, Shieldbreaker is proof against any weapon, including the other Swords, but is powerless against unarmed opponents.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
csbioborg
Champion

Starmage21 wrote:
csbioborg wrote:sure but that dosen't explain the creature you bound to the weapon being identical to the next. In PF the personlity of the weapon influences its powers. A fire lemental is not going to have huge water powers.

I'd say that might be evidence that the entrapped being is nothing more than a power source.

Greatest Rune Weapons might not necessarily require full blown gods, but maybe beings with powers on that scale. Basically other intelligences which might include rival spluugorth, really powerful mortals, and the like.

really powerful mortals demi gods godling are speifically precluded from being used as greatest rune fuel.

Okay if Splugorth and other AIs like vampires it still begs the question how common could they be in the universe. That every decent ranked high lord has one.
csbioborg
Champion

Captain Shiva wrote:Yes. I also hate the feel of rune weapons/lost ancient arts in Rifts, so I have adjusted my campaign quite a bit to acomodate them.

There are 'generic' rune weapons, but they are of the light 'lesser' rune weapon variety. Similar to the Rune dagger in the temple of Aco adventure in Old ones 1st edition.

If you have ever read Fred Saberhagen's Swords series, the magic swords in there each have a diffferent power, and they have drawbacks as well. For instance, Shieldbreaker is proof against any weapon, including the other Swords, but is powerless against unarmed opponents.[/quote]

sure each book was devoted to a sword I liked the healing sword that you couldn't injuree anybody with even with a stab through the heart. Its been a lng time since i read those
Starmage21
Adventurer

csbioborg wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:

really powerful mortals demi gods godling are speifically precluded from being used as greatest rune fuel.

Okay if Splugorth and other AIs like vampires it still begs the question how common could they be in the universe. That every decent ranked high lord has one.

The answer is infinite :D We're dealing with rifts that open up to an infinite number of realities at any time and any space. The real question is how hard are you going to have to look to find them?

Logic suggests that somewhere out there in the infinite megaverse that there is an entire universe full of gods that want to become rune weapons. So yeah, maybe the sploogies have found it or something like it if theyre factory producing greatest rune weapons.
csbioborg
Champion

Starmage21 wrote:
csbioborg wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:

The answer is infinite :D We're dealing with rifts that open up to an infinite number of realities at any time and any space. The real question is how hard are you going to have to look to find them?

Logic suggests that somewhere out there in the infinite megaverse that there is an entire universe full of gods that want to become rune weapons. So yeah, maybe the sploogies have found it or something like it if theyre factory producing greatest rune weapons.

Well logic dictates those dimesnions get canceled out by the equally infinte number of gods looking to make rune weapons out of them there fore we have to deal with the nromal actions of Palladium superntaul beings
Starmage21
Adventurer

csbioborg wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:
csbioborg wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:

Well logic dictates those dimesnions get canceled out by the equally infinte number of gods looking to make rune weapons out of them there fore we have to deal with the nromal actions of Palladium superntaul beings

that does not preclude our subject group.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote: If you have ever read Fred Saberhagen's Swords series, the magic swords in there each have a diffferent power, and they have drawbacks as well. For instance, Shieldbreaker is proof against any weapon, including the other Swords, but is powerless against unarmed opponents.

Not a commonly read series. Nice mention!

(Elvis voice) Thank you. Thank you very much. :lol: I felt that those swords provide the best example of rune weapons. Those, and Stormbringer. And by the way, I have always felt the Berserkers were a big influence on the Mechanoids.

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Mjolnir deserves a mention.

Doing I think 4d6x10 + 55 MD per strike in Thor's hands, plus multipliers for assorted baddies, it probably has among the most consistent damage outputs of any of the rune weapons.

Well, you wouldn't expect a god to wield just any old rune weapon, now would you? :lol:
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I think the Black Sword of Styphon deserves special mention - 1d6x100, direct to hit points. Ouch.

Also, I would imagine a major source of rune weapons would be elementals.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
Library Ogre

IMO, two things influence the strength of a rune item... the strength of the soul, and the strength of the creator. A greatest rune weapon requires a strong soul, but not necessarily a deity or an AI... it may "only" be a greater demon (remember, some of those are capable of granting witch pacts!). However, to get real strength out of it, you need to have a strong rune master/smith.

All Palladium Articles
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Captain Shiva wrote:
9voltkilowatt wrote:Yeah, Castlerake is very likely the most destructive but there are others of equal but "different" power. Take Mindprancer as a example, it gives you pretty much every psionic power ...in addition to some other abilities! :D

Mindprancer is from Adventures in the Northern Wilderness.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

The Beast wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:

Mindprancer is from Adventures in the Northern Wilderness.

Thanks.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

csbioborg wrote:Well logic dictates those dimesnions get canceled out by the equally infinte number of gods looking to make rune weapons out of them there fore we have to deal with the nromal actions of Palladium superntaul beings

Uh, doesn't that indicate an infinite number of rune weapons?
Just out of curiosity, which would you consider to be the least powerful rune weapon?
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Starmage21
Adventurer

Khanibal wrote:
csbioborg wrote:Well logic dictates those dimesnions get canceled out by the equally infinte number of gods looking to make rune weapons out of them there fore we have to deal with the nromal actions of Palladium superntaul beings

Uh, doesn't that indicate an infinite number of rune weapons?
Just out of curiosity, which would you consider to be the least powerful rune weapon?

LEAST powerful? Samurai daisho. All they get is the indestructibility and some increased damage.
Khanibal
Hero

I can't remember where the example came from, but before I started playing palladium games, someone told me, or I read in a book, that scribing a rune on a piece of paper would render it indestructible. Does anyone else remember the peanut butter commercial where to prove how smooth the product spread, the actress cut a knife out of a paper plate to make the sandwich with?

I want a paper rune knife.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Khanibal wrote:I can't remember where the example came from, but before I started playing palladium games, someone told me, or I read in a book, that scribing a rune on a piece of paper would render it indestructible. Does anyone else remember the peanut butter commercial where to prove how smooth the product spread, the actress cut a knife out of a paper plate to make the sandwich with?

Look under the Diabolist OCC from PFRPG or Rifts CB1. Also it doesn't change the strength of the paper, so your rune knife would only kill someone if they let you papercut them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The Eternity Sword isn't bad.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Khanibal
Hero

The Beast wrote:Look under the Diabolist OCC from PFRPG or Rifts CB1. Also it doesn't change the strength of the paper, so your rune knife would only kill someone if they let you papercut them over and over... and over again.

But, just imagine the peanut butter sandwiches you could make!
Mmmm

Library Ogre

Khanibal wrote:I can't remember where the example came from, but before I started playing palladium games, someone told me, or I read in a book, that scribing a rune on a piece of paper would render it indestructible. Does anyone else remember the peanut butter commercial where to prove how smooth the product spread, the actress cut a knife out of a paper plate to make the sandwich with?

Not quite.

Inscribing a rune, in silver, on parchment, makes both the rune and the parchment indestructible. However, it's still parchment... which is scraped and beaten cow skin. It doesn't give paper cuts, and it crumples just like parchment always does... it just can't be cut, burned, or erased.

There are some valid uses of indestructible parchment in armory, but this is not one.

All Palladium Articles
Khanibal
Hero

Ok, I'll settle for a silver rune butter knife.

Don't forget the jelly. Personally I prefer blackberry with my peanut butter. If it's just straight toast or hot fresh bread then strawberry or blueberry. Can I get an enchantment on my rune knife to equalize pressure and disolve hardened sugars to help me open the jars?

Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

On a side note, Since magic is always mixed up and recreated into new spells and what not, Have people created their own Rune Weapons / Armors to surprise their groups?

If so list some of your favorites.

*I mean since tech is always being recreated into new cool things, whats to prevent a rune item from showing up 8-)
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Khanibal
Hero

I had a G.M. set up one of the player in my group with a Greatest Rune Weapon. 1d4x10 M.D. and double damage against normal insects. Friggin' thing would wake the whole party in the middle of the night.
"Mosquito!"

I don't play with that group anymore.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”