Read Dimensional Portal and tracking teleporters

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Read Dimensional Portal and tracking teleporters

Unread post by DtMK »

I was looking at the sensitive psionic power Read Dimensional Portal, and although it usually only works for active portals, there are other beings that can sense ley lines and rifts opening. Is it possible for a being with this ability and abilities of teleportation like dragons, demons, deevils, shifters, wanderers, etc. to sense a 'wake' of someone teleporting if they are within range, and sensing where the being has disappeared to? If this is the case, it could make things interesting for beings trying to escape from a fight, only to be tracked by the very power they were using. As a GM in my games, I'm considering allowing this, but there will be a very brief window to sense and locate the teleportational 'wake'. I'd estimate between 3-15 seconds for a window to sense and track before it disappears completely.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Read Dimensional Portal and tracking teleporters

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Teleportation does not create any sort of portal, so Read Dimensional Portal would be useless for this sort of thing. Sense Dimensional Anomaly detects teleportation as it is happening, but there's no mention of any sort of residual after-effect that can be detected.

However, the Ley Line Rifter (RUE) does have an ability to "hitchhike" on teleportation effects within his vicinity, and the D-Shifter (CE: RoM) can mimic another character's recently cast Teleport spell to follow the caster. I tend to think that these are special abilities unique to these classes, but one could also argue that they reveal an otherwise undisclosed consequence of teleportation and dimensional travel.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

DtMK wrote:I was looking at the sensitive psionic power Read Dimensional Portal, and although it usually only works for active portals, there are other beings that can sense ley lines and rifts opening. Is it possible for a being with this ability and abilities of teleportation like dragons, demons, deevils, shifters, wanderers, etc. to sense a 'wake' of someone teleporting if they are within range, and sensing where the being has disappeared to? If this is the case, it could make things interesting for beings trying to escape from a fight, only to be tracked by the very power they were using. As a GM in my games, I'm considering allowing this, but there will be a very brief window to sense and locate the teleportational 'wake'. I'd estimate between 3-15 seconds for a window to sense and track before it disappears completely.

No. The power read Dimensinal Portal, funny enough, works only on portals
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

I would not allow it. Though if you wanted would could right a spell that does it. The Spatial mage has a spell that allow them to track even across dimensions, but that is a RIFTER class. So I don’t think the power would allow it. Though it is your campaign do what you want. Though if you are using it on players that may be a little evil. If would first let the players use it to track something down first?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”