Enchant Weapon (Minor) Question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Enchant Weapon (Minor) Question

Unread post by Khanibal »

In the spell description, it says that the act of creating a magic weapon is exhausting and can only be done once every 3 months. I read creation as having cast the permanent version of the spell, and the casting of the temporary version as not so taxing. How do you read it?
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Enchant Weapon (Minor) Question

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Off the top of my head, I agree with you. However, I don't have the desire to check right now.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Khanibal
Hero

Hmm...
Okay, that's what I was thinking.
Now, how do I handle the addition of other spells to the weapon?
For example if one of my players were to cast Globe of Daylight and then Enchant Weapon: Minor on a sword, would the Globe of Daylight then be active on the sword for the next lvl# of months?
Or would it need to be cast with a Talisiman or similar effect?
Or is it simply impossible without utilizing the Alchemist or Techno-Wizard classes?
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Khanibal
Hero

ManDrake13 wrote:The Enchant Weapon spell only adds it own enchantment to the weapon, any spell effect wouldn't be effected by the enchanting process. Talisman's have size limits that make it impossible for most weapons to contain one. So Impossible is your only choice.

Check.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Khanibal wrote:In the spell description, it says that the act of creating a magic weapon is exhausting and can only be done once every 3 months. I read creation as having cast the permanent version of the spell, and the casting of the temporary version as not so taxing. How do you read it?

*throws out the Rifts version of the spell*
Look in the NB main book for the three enchant weapon spells you should be using.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Khanibal
Hero

Ah, I see. Twice as useful. Permenant without permenant expenditure of base P.P.E., and two levels lower. :(
Rifts mages really get shafted sometimes.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Burulovesyou wrote:Being that magic weapons inflict mdc, then would the enchant weapon from nightbane make it do mdc, as well as the double damage to supernatural?

No, Magic weapons Do Not inflict MDC, they'd Inflict MD in rifts and only if they state that they do.
MDC is armor.

The one little problem with the NB enchant weapon spells, is that the magic only effects the SN and CoM. Thus would only do/inflict MD to the SN and CoM in rifts.
It might be possible to combine the enchant spells with other spells (light blade, or ?cold sword?) to make a TW that does MD to mundane and double damage to the SN & CoM.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Since the Nightbane spells inflict normal damage to targets usually invulnerable to weapons, I rule that the an enchanted SDC weapon does it's SDC in MDC to All MDC creatures, MDC structures, as well as Vampires and Lycanthropes. All those things are "immune to normal weapons" in some sense. If you used the spell on a MDC weapon, then it would do double damage to supernatural and it's normal damage to beings immune to weapons. It would do normal (non magical) to MDC structures since the weapon can normally damage those things.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:snip...If you used the spell on a MDC weapon,
..snip

A MDC weapon is one that is made out of MDC materials. A weapon being MDC does not necessarily mean it does MD.

Glistam wrote:Since the Nightbane spells inflict normal damage to targets usually invulnerable to weapons, I rule that the an enchanted SDC weapon does it's SDC in MDC to All MDC creatures, MDC structures, as well as Vampires and Lycanthropes.
...snip

1) SDC weapons do ether 'damage' or 'normal damage' or 'sd' or 'HP/SDC damage', not 'SDC' like its structural rating is what does the damage ["MY sword has 200 SDC, thus it inflicts 200 damage to your char" :roll: ]

2) Damage is MD, not MDC.

3) vamps and Were-peeps are invulnerable to mundane weapons & attacks.(with in the definition of their special AR)

No, MDC is not immune to mundane damage like vamps and were-peeps are. So you summation of your reasoning is faulty. Why? you ask. Vamps and were-peeps are immune to even mundane MD damage. See that word "mundane"? It means, in this instance, to be not magical, not SN.

e.g: while a Mundane MD weapons would hurt a MDC object, because the weapon does MD, something that only does sd can't do damage to an MDC object because the object is too tough for the sd weapon to damage.(this a paraphrase of the difference between sd/sdc and MD/MDC in the rifts and RT books)

e.g: while a silver plated V-blade will do MD to an MDC object, it would same amount of damage as a silver plated sd blade of the same type if used on a vamp or a were-peep.

If you short cut your thinking by equating things that are not equal, then your conclusions will be faulty.

[equal: the same.]
Khanibal
Hero

That pretty much drops it in the GM's lap.
1) A weapon enchanted with the NB spell and then taken to Rifts will do s.d. to mortals, vampires, and lycanthropes and M.D. to creatures of magic and supernatural beings (or double s.d. damage as M.D. to them)
or
2) The weapon will do M.D. on Rifts (h.p. to vampires and lycanthropes) double damage to CoM and SB.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:snip...If you used the spell on a MDC weapon,
..snip

A MDC weapon is one that is made out of MDC materials. A weapon being MDC does not necessarily mean it does MD.

Indeed. My intention was to refer to weapons that inflicted mega damage. Thank you for the clarification.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:Since the Nightbane spells inflict normal damage to targets usually invulnerable to weapons, I rule that the an enchanted SDC weapon does it's SDC in MDC to All MDC creatures, MDC structures, as well as Vampires and Lycanthropes.
...snip

1) SDC weapons do ether 'damage' or 'normal damage' or 'sd' or 'HP/SDC damage', not 'SDC' like its structural rating is what does the damage ["MY sword has 200 SDC, thus it inflicts 200 damage to your char" :roll: ]

Again, you clarify my intentions. Thank you.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
2) Damage is MD, not MDC.

Damage is a general label that can be applied to more than MD. Your intention here is clear but I clarify for the sake of others.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
3) vamps and Were-peeps are invulnerable to mundane weapons & attacks.(with in the definition of their special AR)

No, MDC is not immune to mundane damage like vamps and were-peeps are. So you summation of your reasoning is faulty. Why? you ask. Vamps and were-peeps are immune to even mundane MD damage. See that word "mundane"? It means, in this instance, to be not magical, not SN.

e.g: while a Mundane MD weapons would hurt a MDC object, because the weapon does MD, something that only does sd can't do damage to an MDC object because the object is too tough for the sd weapon to damage.(this a paraphrase of the difference between sd/sdc and MD/MDC in the rifts and RT books)

e.g: while a silver plated V-blade will do MD to an MDC object, it would same amount of damage as a silver plated sd blade of the same type if used on a vamp or a were-peep.

If you short cut your thinking by equating things that are not equal, then your conclusions will be faulty.

[equal: the same.]

The damage caused by a weapon which inflicts less than 100 points of structural damage does no damage to an object or living creature with mega damage capacity. If such a weapon were to be enchanted with one of the Nightbane RPG spells in question I feel it would, in fact, be able to apply its usual structural damage as mega damage to a mega damage capacity object. This is due to the ability of mega damage capacity to be completely immune to structural damage attacks that do not total to 100 or more points. If the structural damage weapon were able to inflict 100 points or more of structural damage, then the spells in question would not adjust that damage when applied against a mega damage capacity object.

In the end this is all interpretation since your definitions of specific terms are yours and/or the dictionary's and you do not know the intention of the author or the author's definition when those terms were written. I also understand that my interpretation listed above defies the "accepted" answer which can be found in the Magic F.A.Q. in the appropriate section of the board. I stand by my interpretation anyway as a fair way to adjucate these spells in my own games.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The fault of using of MDC in reference to damage rests first in the book writers that used it first, and second for those to continue to use it, even when they know better. (yes, this is a pet peeve, and it just annoys me to no end when ppl who know better still do it.)

what I was objecting to, mostly, was the equating the MDC toughness to resist SD attacks, and the immunity to mundane attacks that vamps and were-peeps have.

Also, the L13 enchant weapon ritual that was being talked about puts limitations on what affected by the magical damage that it does.

The rifts L15 enchant weapon spell should of been broken up into a lower temp enchantment spell and a higher permanent spell. But they had to go with a L15 spell that no PC would be able to get w/o ether years of playing with regular awarding of exp., or a year's worth with a high exp. awards, or just plan not follow the rules and just take the spell.
Khanibal
Hero

Well, a spell can be a reward for a quest or similar activities. Also the High Magus O.C.C. (Rifts: WB16 Federation of Magic) would get the spell at 5th level. Regardless of how a mage gets the spell, it's of limited utility, and you're better off asking a TW to build you a magic weapon.

Khanibal
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The rifts L15 enchant weapon spell should of been broken up into a lower temp enchantment spell and a higher permanent spell. But they had to go with a L15 spell that no PC would be able to get w/o ether years of playing with regular awarding of exp., or a year's worth with a high exp. awards, or just plan not follow the rules and just take the spell.

The only problem with that is the only "canon" (there's that word again :P ) for spell modification is Through the Glass Darkly. Which mandates that any modification of a spell adds at least 1 level. Of course if you were starting from the NB Charm Weapon spell, this would be easier.

I should pick up the chaos earth book and see how magic originates on rifts earth. From what color text I've read, it seems that most of it was spontaneous, therefore, there should be some rules for inventing spells for rifts. In fact, since so much of it was learned, invented on the cuff, rifts mages should get bonuses to researching new magic.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The magic sourcebook touches on that, but really just gives different classes with different powers that only seem chaotic. Ultimately, as more people in Rifts Earth started discovering their aptitude for magic, they started finding ways to learn it formally. Dimensional travellers also made the point to stop and help the fledgling mages learn the proper way to do it.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khanibal wrote:]

The only problem with that is the only "canon" (there's that word again :P ) for spell modification is Through the Glass Darkly. Which mandates that any modification of a spell adds at least 1 level. Of course if you were starting from the NB Charm Weapon spell, this would be easier.

I should pick up the chaos earth book and see how magic originates on rifts earth. From what color text I've read, it seems that most of it was spontaneous, therefore, there should be some rules for inventing spells for rifts. In fact, since so much of it was learned, invented on the cuff, rifts mages should get bonuses to researching new magic.

You can lower the spell L by taking away options or other perks.
So if you take out the temp option of the the Rifts EW spell it would end up the ether the same L or a -1 L.
And since you would be taking out a major bit of the spell if you take out the permanent side of the REW spell.
But you also have to remember that the spell modification rules are mostly for PCs, not GMs. GM's can do things by Fiat (house rules), but the rules can be used as guideline to avoid excessive munchkinisum.
Khanibal
Hero

Palladium
-"We are committed to the principles of weapon empowerment."

P.S. Apologies to Scott Adams

Khanibal
Hero

He meant the actual Power Weapon spell. pg. 123 BoM.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”