Magic Scrolls & Actions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Magic Scrolls & Actions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) all (15 sec to read)
2) you have to read the scroll out loud so only speed speaking would get you faster through the scroll.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

The main advantage of scrolls is that anyone can cast a spell from one. As the skill and P.P.E. to cast has already been expended even a literate Russian full conversion Shocktrooper cyborg can cast the spell (provided it's written in a language he can read). Of course, scroll are also good for learning spells, but scroll conversion is very risky. Try casting Beat Insurmountable Odds first.
If it's speedy casting (especially for non-mages) you want, then you'll need a Talisman. One action to cast from a Talisman (unless someone knows different and corrects me).
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It takes a single action to read a scroll, and so can't be reduced further.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Khanibal
Hero

I think I remember something about this from another thread.

"Speed reading is out because the spell is read aloud. You'd need speed speaking."
Was the gist of the answer given.
As far as actions. /shrug
I'd call it one round.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd peg it at one per spell, or the casting time of the ritual.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Khanibal
Hero

Mark Hall wrote:I'd peg it at one per spell, or the casting time of the ritual.

Uh, 7-10 level spell rituals are 10 minutes (40 melee rounds) to cast, and 11-15 are 1D4x10+15 minutes. If you're gonna give me the choice of one (was that action or melee round?) or the ritual time, I'll pick the one (whatever).
:D

Library Ogre

Khanibal wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I'd peg it at one per spell, or the casting time of the ritual.

Uh, 7-10 level spell rituals are 10 minutes (40 melee rounds) to cast, and 11-15 are 1D4x10+15 minutes. If you're gonna give me the choice of one (was that action or melee round?) or the ritual time, I'll pick the one (whatever).
:D

If the scroll is recorded as a ritual (getting the benefit of a 16 spell strength), it's cast as a ritual, and takes that amount of time. If it was recorded as an invocation (thus using whatever spell strength the caster was capable of), it's cast as an invocation, and thus only takes one action.

Smart-***. ;-)

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Burulovesyou wrote:Even if it's a spell that would normally take more than one action?

Yes. Create Scroll is a pretty high level spell, and scrolls are the kinds of things that can be turned against you pretty easily. So, if someone has a scroll, and it was written as a invocation, I let it go in one action (especially since that's just to read the scroll... getting it out may take another).

All Palladium Articles
Khanibal
Hero

Mark Hall wrote:If the scroll is recorded as a ritual (getting the benefit of a 16 spell strength), it's cast as a ritual, and takes that amount of time. If it was recorded as an invocation (thus using whatever spell strength the caster was capable of), it's cast as an invocation, and thus only takes one action.

Possibly allowing you to cast 6-15th level invocations for one action?
If you have the Talisman spell, it might be a better option for 1-8th level spells. Not only is it rechargeable, but you can also hand it to the illiterate dog-boy to use.

Smart-***. ;-)

When I was a child I knew I was destined to be an ***. My choices were dumb-*** or smart-***. I stand by my decision. :-D

P.S. I didn't meet the minimum requirements for wise-***.

Khanibal
Hero

So how long does it take to create a ritual scroll? If I create a scroll of Resurrection, and it's going to take the end-user 35 minutes to cast, how long does it take me to make the scroll?

Library Ogre

Khanibal wrote:So how long does it take to create a ritual scroll? If I create a scroll of Resurrection, and it's going to take the end-user 35 minutes to cast, how long does it take me to make the scroll?

I would say Create Scroll would, itself, have to be cast as a ritual.

All Palladium Articles
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Xavier the mage wrote:I have two questions concerning the use of magic scrolls.

1. How many melee actions does it take to cast a magic scroll spell in your games? From what I have read, reference SoT book #6, pg. 123, casting a scroll spell takes four melee actions.

I'm gonna throw my opinion in here:

It takes as long as the spell normally would take. Spells 1-5 is 1 action. Spells 6-10 two and spells 11-15 are three.

My Justification: When a normal mage casts a spell, he has to invoke the words aloud. These same words are on the scroll (Except they also have the PPE to cast it), so it makes most sense to me that the time it takes for a mage to recite his wording, it takes the reader to read aloud.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”