Do you use the Palladium world for the PFRPG?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vidynn
Adventurer

Re: Do you use the Palladium world for the PFRPG?

Unread post by Vidynn »

we play on the Palladium World, as the setting is actually one of the reasons we play the system (the rules certainly are not)! so, with this system, we never bothered to play in a self created or other world.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I generally use the setting as is...
With one exception...
My own version of Lopan is my oriental setting (I mix N&S into all my Pally games).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

oh yes, I forgot: I did some stuff on the Old Kingdom borders to both the Western Empire and Timiro but in spirit to the exisiting material. in all the campaigns we never played in Phi nor Lopan or the Land of South Winds, but when those were mentioned in the game, I always made the Land of South Winds with a touch of Arabia / Northafrica and Lopan greek-like.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

All the games I run have been in the book setting. I was a player in a game that used a custom world. Its been years so don't remember much about it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

Well pf is a vary nice world... I have yet to use it, in a game and I have been gaming and gming for about 14/12 years now. I do how ever use pf rules for some of my historic games. or historic games that I am thinking about doing. ie. for my saxon ivasion of gb I am using pf rules. I have thought about using pf rules with up dated skills sets form games set in the 1770s in na, or even a game set in the anglo irish war, of 1916 1918-1923.. I mean I could see men like pearce and pluket using the schooler occ, not sure about men like Mick "big fella" Collens thow maybe assaion for hem, thow he was a finachel adviser
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
OldGeek
D-Bee

Unread post by OldGeek »

Pretty much yes. The setting is the part I like, there are better systems out there...
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

I have done both in the past. My current PF game is set in my old Hackmaster world, Toneeze Wurld, aka Gareeze Wurld #161. I had to make up a Halflig RCC b/c one of my daughters plays nothing but Halfling thieves. Ah, the things fathers do! :)

That said I love the Palladium setting.
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I enjoy playing the Palladium setting as is, myself. I have created add-ons for that setting from time to time and they all worked well enough with existing continuity. Of course, as more and more of the world is described, the less wiggle room I found myself having.

That was when I started creating my own world with the Palladium fantasy rule set. I think a fantasy setting is what the Palladium system works best for. That is to say, I have fewer house rules for those sorts of settings than something like Rifts (which in my opinion has pretty much gotten unmanegable). The only problem is that there isn't a lot of interest right now among players in my area in the Palladium system. So I wound up adapting everything to D&D 3.5 because that's the currently preferred fantasy rule set in my area. I did add about 25 house rules (mostly minor) and added a lot of options from the Unearthed Arcana. With wound/vitality points and spell points, the game starts to more closely resemble Palladium's way of doing things. I can be sneaky that way. :D

I have to say though, I find it more common that people adapt Palladium's setting to other systems than people lifting Palladium's rule set for other settings. Even gamers I play with who HATE Palladium, usually admit that their settings are decent and imaginative. It's the system itself that receives a lot of flak. And frankly, outside of the fantasy genre, I wouldn't try using it for other settings myself.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like the Palladium world, myself, but have been tempted to use the system to run a "Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero" scenario. In fact, I think the system would be pretty good for all of the QfG games, though some challenges would become pitifully easy with the right classes (such as the beginning of Trial by Fire if you have a single warlock in the party).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

I have used both the Palladium World as well as a home made world with PFRPG rules. It all depends on my mood.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”