Werewolves in Nightbane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Werewolves in Nightbane

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

runebeo wrote:they will not last long against most foes in that world.
And yet I managed to run more than a few Nightbane campaigns where they did just that.

How long a character survives against an enemy isn't just determined by how their stats appear on paper in terms of a stand-up fight. It's also determined by how the player makes use of what abilities their character does have. How well they plan. How well they prepare. And, very importantly, what sort of game your Gamemaster decides to run. You're playing resistance fighters against an invader--the Viet Cong of the game's setting, if you will. Do you think the Viet Cong would have stood a chance against the American forces in Vietnam if they only ever stood up toe-to-toe and only thought in terms of stand-up fights? Same principles very easily apply to Nightbane, considering their hold on Earth is actually more one of social and political control and subversion rather than just marching Hounds down the streets in open displays of brute force.

To be frank, if every thing the players could use as characters could whoop Hound and Nightlord ass with ease, the idea of a secret invasion of Earth would become totally implausible because there'd be little in the way of an actual threat, no?
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I agree completely with Steve on this. I love the flavor of the Tribes of the Moon and they fit very well into Nightbane.

They also give the bloodsuckers a natural threat to make them keep their heads down.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

I know the old rules in the conversion book for werewolves quite well which tribes of the moon was based on (Played one for a few years)

However if you look in Dark conversions, under the Beyond supernatural section. Not only is there a new were race, but also the stat line is very different no minimals

For example: PS for Werewolf

Conversion book/TOTM: PS:4d6 (never less than 16)

Dark Conversions: PS: 2d6 + 16. Also under the damage section, just after the Man-wolf-Wold forms it says per supernatural strength....

If you take your were beasts from here they become more in line for the NB world, and just tougher in general which makes some sense, most supernatural creatures have supernatural stats. Also in human form there strength appears to be normal. Brings it in line very nicely with Bane.
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Marcethus
Champion

don't have Dark Conversions.

but in TotM were's could damage sn creatures even though they didn't have SNPS,
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I might be harsh in saying that I think that Dark Conversions is a copy/paste hack job.... but it might just be because I'm in defense of Trustrum's idea. The Werewolf has plenty of abilities that allow it to be played cleverly. Making use of tactics and timing to overpower a more powerful opponent. I'm running a Nightbane game next week and half the players want to play were creatures even after I've explained the obvious weaknesses. Why? Because they're awesome.

Strangely it's the female players who chose were creatures... I would have been one or possibly a natural genius if I were playing... but this might just be because I want to play an socially rejected pompous jerk that hurts the Nightlords with sheer intelligence. That and the hopes that I can design a computer protocol that will allow me access to orbital lasers/ sattelite imaging that will let me be able to organize the other players in a game of chess. Of course any real game advantages would have to be given by the GM... and it appears I have been driven off course. Nevermind me... it turns out that 3 Mountain Dews, 2 doughnuts, and a marathon of The Big Bang Theory turns me into a crazy person.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Marcethus
Champion

Specter wrote:I might be harsh in saying that I think that Dark Conversions is a copy/paste hack job.... but it might just be because I'm in defense of Trustrum's idea. The Werewolf has plenty of abilities that allow it to be played cleverly. Making use of tactics and timing to overpower a more powerful opponent. I'm running a Nightbane game next week and half the players want to play were creatures even after I've explained the obvious weaknesses. Why? Because they're awesome.

The cut and paste thing wouldn't surprise me in the least. Palladium is notorious for doing so. Just look at almost all of the Spells. in all of the systems. Since Were creatures probably came from one of their other settings, I recall seeing them in CB1 and reprinted in Vamp Kingdoms for rifts as my first time seeing them. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they cut it from another source and pasted it into Dark Conversions with little work other than the converting it for rifts.

Hence why I think TotM is much better suited for Nightbane than anything that is in Dark Conversions or any other source out there. Unless their next nightbane book covers it and its well done. (doubtfull that any future NB book will cover them for the time being)
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:You're playing resistance fighters against an invader--the Viet Cong of the game's setting, if you will. Do you think the Viet Cong would have stood a chance against the American forces in Vietnam if they only ever stood up toe-to-toe and only thought in terms of stand-up fights?

The Tet Offensive says no. Militarily, the VC were crushed, and badly. It was a propaganda win though as it showed the VC will to win.

Steve is right, it's about more than whose rear can you kick.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I was rereading Rifter 4# and I really like the werebeast shaman & sorcerer. I think werebeast should have a A.R. against silver & magic weapons even a A.R. of 10 or 11 would help keep them alive. They have a deadly vulnerability to silver, but still their a monstrous race with high dexterity and thick furry hides. I also think most Nightbane should have armor rating based on their morph nature too.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Marcethus
Champion

Thats what parry and Dodge are for.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Marcethus wrote:Thats what parry and Dodge are for.

not to mention Brave Sir Robin's favorite tactic, RUN AWAY!
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Marcethus
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:

It is an effective tactic.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Marcethus wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

It is an effective tactic.

Indeed, which is why I mentioned it. If the lycanthrope character is dumb enough to get his ass handed to him and not decide discretion is the better part of valor, maybe his next character will. Or we can hope so.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I know that this is going to sound crazy but what if we gave the werewolves guns?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

csbioborg wrote:I know that this is going to sound crazy but what if we gave the werewolves guns?

Split Second wrote:We're gonna need bigger guns.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Marcethus
Champion

LMAO
Vidynn
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Vidynn »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:her is the auther's website...thou he has yet to make the tribes of the moon pdf like he said he would.

any news on this, Mr. Trustrum?
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Re:

Vidynn wrote:any news on this, Mr. Trustrum?
I'm taking a break from a final re-read of the manuscript in order to reply to this :)

I was hoping some artists would hop on board, but no such luck. This means the PDF will be almost entirely art free. I have a few contributions and appropriate stock art, but not much. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem for people.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Marcethus
Champion

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:
Vidynn wrote:any news on this, Mr. Trustrum?
I'm taking a break from a final re-read of the manuscript in order to reply to this :)

I was hoping some artists would hop on board, but no such luck. This means the PDF will be almost entirely art free. I have a few contributions and appropriate stock art, but not much. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem for people.

Not a problem for me at least. I want the info. Art is a nice plus. but not a total necessity.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

yeah, its the info that counts, art is/would be a nice bonus, but isnt necessary at all!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'll admit I shamelessly ripped some elements from TotM for use in my ongoing story arcs from Lazlo Society. Not perfectly, but definite influence.

My main character on the boards recently had an encounter with a rough equivalent to a Donathir (sp). The Donathir thought that my character's penchant for hunting vampires could be amplified and my character's penchant for hunting werebeasts could be discouraged. Regrettably my character also has a penchant for doing it only his way. So he and the Donathir had a fatal encounter. Obviously my main character triumphed (the Donathir should have won on paper, but being a werepanther he decided to play a bit and paid for it) but he now has the attention of the local werebeast community. My character is left with the mystery of where a werebeast who professes to be a protector of his kind came from.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Marcethus
Champion

Jefffar wrote:I'll admit I shamelessly ripped some elements from TotM for use in my ongoing story arcs from Lazlo Society. Not perfectly, but definite influence.

My main character on the boards recently had an encounter with a rough equivalent to a Donathir (sp). The Donathir thought that my character's penchant for hunting vampires could be amplified and my character's penchant for hunting werebeasts could be discouraged. Regrettably my character also has a penchant for doing it only his way. So he and the Donathir had a fatal encounter. Obviously my main character triumphed (the Donathir should have won on paper, but being a werepanther he decided to play a bit and paid for it) but he now has the attention of the local werebeast community. My character is left with the mystery of where a werebeast who professes to be a protector of his kind came from.

I kinda thought you had. And it made for a nice reference and leads to interesting Roleplay on there.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Jefffar wrote:I'll admit I shamelessly ripped some elements from TotM for use in my ongoing story arcs from Lazlo Society. Not perfectly, but definite influence.

I'm glad you had some fun with it.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Thanks Steve. I hope I can hit echoes off this event for a while in the future.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Jefffar wrote:Thanks Steve. I hope I can hit echoes off this event for a while in the future.
Hopefully the full manuscript will give you even more material to get creative with. :D
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Well, we've had someone kindly volunteer their time and artistic talent to the project so we'll see how that turns out. I much prefer putting out something that looks complete than just text, so I'm happy for the help!
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Marcethus
Champion

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:Well, we've had someone kindly volunteer their time and artistic talent to the project so we'll see how that turns out. I much prefer putting out something that looks complete than just text, so I'm happy for the help!

We fans of PB stuff are a patient lot, One must be with how PB meets its timelines :lol:

And if it looks better when we get it so much the better. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Nightbane®”