Arcanist BTS-1?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Granpafishy
D-Bee

Re: Arcanist BTS-1?

Unread post by Granpafishy »

Not to sound nitpicky, but do you have any of the other Palladium books? I don't think the Arcanist P.C.C. is detailed anywhere else, so the best way of giving you the info is give the differences to something you already have.
"The only Sane people in the world are those that are iNsAnE, and know it."
Sir Neil
Adventurer

Unread post by Sir Neil »

It was similar to the BTS-2 Parapsychologist, in that it had pre-set skills. All lore skills, several language, science, and technical skills, and two programs of choice. It also had a few spells from most spell levels and enough P.P.E. to cast about an eighth level spell.

I think that stays within the board's rules.
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

You, cab buy a copy here of the 1st edition they also have the Boxed Nightmare sourcebook.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I also use the H.U,s mystic study.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Actually, the Mystic Study Hero in HU-2 is a rather good fit. If you can get past the artwork of the typical Merlin-wannabe character, the class is well suited to BtS-2. I will crack open my HU-2 book later to double check that. The Arcane Detective class in Nightbane: Between the Shadows is probably an ideal fit.

When the magic book for BtS-2 is released, we can expect that there will be some sort of scaling effect for magicians which works similarly to the proximity-to-supernatural for psychics. Heavens knows when that sourcebook will be released, however, so I just ignore this rule and use the standard PPE rules found in the other games. That's the assumption I made in the Court of Tarot articles.

There is an Arcanist class in Mystic China, I think I should mention. That character, however, uses chi magic instead of the standard spell list found in most Palladium games. Chi powers are an extra complication which you probably don't want.

Thank you for the link, Shawn. I can endorse the Boxed Nightmares sourcebook. Granted, the material inside was hit-or-miss in my opinion, and this sale probably doesn't include the fake tabloid newspaper. Still, there is some good material in this book. I already am the proud owner of a copy -- otherwise I would grab this up.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Since my last post, I've purchased a used copy of BtS-1 and read through most of it. Having actually seen the BtS-1 Arcanist, I have a new opinion. Don't play this character!

The BtS-1 Arcanist is crazy-overpowered. At first level, she gains 1D4 spells from every spell 1 through 10! That's her initial spell list. I'm not sure whether this character class was supposed to be dominating compared to the psychic classes, but that is certainly the result.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I really like the bts-1 arcanist, but if you think hes over powered look at how little ppe he starts with and it grows vary slowly, and unlike most magic users he dont add hes pe to hes ppe, always thought he should have a tad more ppe, atleast adding in the pe, like most magic users, but than if you mix in nj&ss and mystic china, I really see no reason why a mage cant take a martel art, I me te chi would make since becouse depending on how you handled chi, I have seen good arguments for making it ppe, are leaveing it chi, I faver making it ppe, I could see a lot of mages studying te chi for the ppe boost becouse what good is haveing all these spells of you cant cast half of them, and you can not use combat magic couse it will burn up all you ppe in a few min.
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Mephisto, you make a good point about the lack of other class abilities and the low PPE reserve. I'll do a little more comparison. I still think this is overpowered compared to even the other empowered classes, the psychics. Consider that according to BtS-1 rules, mages can draw PPE from not only people, sacrifices, and ley lines -- but also places of power. That's one more source of unending free PPE, and it isn't as monster and entity-infested as a ley line or nexus. I could move to Homestead Florida, go to Coral Castle on a daily basis and refill my own PPE reserves or just cast low level spells endlessly from that location. If I bring a handful of people with me to perform a ritual, I could probably swing a higher cost PPE spell at first level, and I could organize the event in an afternoon. I didn't recall seeing in limit in the rules about how much PPE a BtS archanist could use, just how much he could hold in his internal reserve. You're probably right, Mephisto.

Personally, I wouldn't use the advanced martial artists from N&SS-MC because the concept of a mystic martial artist is already quite well covered by the Physical Psychic. Even the non-mystic martial artist is well represented by the Natural Athlete. If we do bring in chi powers just because N&SS-MC are fun books, then Mystic China specifies that PPE and Chi are separate forms of energy kept in separate internal reserves. At least one MC class collects both.

Now if we were power gaming, this is one way to generate a stupid amount of free PPE. Use the anarchist class from MC, and take a chi power martial art like Tai Chi. Pick Dragon Chi (for drawing chi from the environment) as a chi power and at least one negative chi power, any one. Now we have a character who can gather unending chi from any environment. She can also convert back and forth between positive or negative chi at will (a free minor ability which comes with any negative chi power). Then she can convert that chi into into PPE by casting a low level spell. It's like the entire world being her own private ley line which only she can access -- and she could do it at first level.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Mephisto is correct about the places of power. I must have been thinking about the rips in magic. Mephisto is right about BtS Arcanist now that I have thought it over some more. Mephisto is accurate about the Dark Chi power. How did I overlook that?

Let's go ahead and say that Mephisto is right about whatever he posts next. You are the superior rules-lawyer, sir.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Take the darn compliment! :mrgreen:

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Lord Z wrote:The BtS-1 Arcanist is crazy-overpowered.

wow, and I thought a lot of the BTS-2 classes are overpowered, not only psychics but normal people too. Unfortunately, I dont own the original BTS, so I cant compare.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Sir Neil
Adventurer

Unread post by Sir Neil »

The arcanist was a good class.

However, like all P.C.C.'s, they can't stay at a place of power too long or they go crazy. Also, their magic takes time while psychics can toss out psychic attacks as easily as physical ones.

About Ninjas and Superspies: if you use the rules in the back, psychics can trade a skill program for a martial art form while magicians can't, letting psychics dominate even more. (I don't recommend it with BTS2.)
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Sir Neil wrote:The arcanist was a good class.

However, like all P.C.C.'s, they can't stay at a place of power too long or they go crazy. Also, their magic takes time while psychics can toss out psychic attacks as easily as physical ones.

About Ninjas and Superspies: if you use the rules in the back, psychics can trade a skill program for a martial art form while magicians can't, letting psychics dominate even more. (I don't recommend it with BTS2.)

I dont recommend it either for the same reason.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”