Mag-Rifles in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Mag-Rifles in Rifts

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

airwalkrr wrote:Are there any mag-rifles (aka gauss rifles or coilguns) in Rifts? For some reason a player in my campaign thinks it would be cool to build one (as if lasers, ion blasters, plasma guns, and rail guns weren't enough). I'm pretty sure I've seen stats for them before but I don't recall where. Could you help a GM out?

I think Palladium lumps coilguns in with rail guns. That being said there are man portable rail guns in "New West" and "Japan", they require a high PS (normal) to operate without penalty. I'm not sure if other manufactures produce them off the top of my head.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Considering the power sources it is definitely possible to make a light weight single shot EM rifle. I don't think it would be very efficient though, since the gunner would have to buy up both hard ammo and recharge the energy magazine.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
airwalkrr wrote:Are there any mag-rifles (aka gauss rifles or coilguns) in Rifts? For some reason a player in my campaign thinks it would be cool to build one (as if lasers, ion blasters, plasma guns, and rail guns weren't enough). I'm pretty sure I've seen stats for them before but I don't recall where. Could you help a GM out?

I think Palladium lumps coilguns in with rail guns. That being said there are man portable rail guns in "New West" and "Japan", they require a high PS (normal) to operate without penalty. I'm not sure if other manufactures produce them off the top of my head.

Agreed. Coilguns would be lumped in there with railguns. they can probobly build them, they just like railguns more.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote:

Bandito arms (new west) and H-Brand and ArmaTech (japan). The japan small arms are lump together in one heading, "Japanese Weapons", in the RGMG.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

A single-shot mag-gun/coil gun - isn't that essentially what the Boom Gun & the Shemarrian rifle are?
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Talavar wrote:A single-shot mag-gun/coil gun - isn't that essentially what the Boom Gun & the Shemarrian rifle are?

pretty much. they use electromagnets to move the projectile down the barrel.

personally, given the descriptions of most rifts 'railguns', i'd say the majority are actually coilguns. the only ones i'd say could be actual rail guns would be the "gatling" ones, which given the issues with rail deterioration, it would actually make sense to have many barrels firing. allows a higher rate of fire, with less wear on each set of rails. since actual rail guns would use less power than coilguns, this would even have some reasons for use, even if the coilgun types dominate the infantry based systems.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Go versatile...combination weapon that allows you to vary the muzzle velocity by altering the propelling field strength and power-draw...so you can go hypervelocity for small projectiles, or slower for lofting bigger shells...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

That being the case, the one Banditio arms uses would definately be a gaus rifle than. It fires single shots but is meant for knocking people down, not blowing through them.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I generally regard coil guns, gauss gins, and the like to be generic terms bandied about to describe many of the same weapons using the same principles...with MASSDRIVERS being the larger artillery-style weapons and commercial launch systems..
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Check out Merc Ops. Wellington or Northerngun...has light 'Infantry' Railguns they shpuld be a good range to start at.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

In merc opps there is indeed a single shot infantry rail gun in the Northern gun section.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

In response to the above post, yes Northern gun does have a single shot infantry sized rail gun. Now imagine how much lighter and better one of those would be if they were manufactured by Triax. Actually, maybe the weight issue is the main reason Triax doesn't try knocking it off. :?

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Rimmerdal
Knight

Colt47 wrote:In response to the above post, yes Northern gun does have a single shot infantry sized rail gun. Now imagine how much lighter and better one of those would be if they were manufactured by Triax. Actually, maybe the weight issue is the main reason Triax doesn't try knocking it off. :?

Triax could, but has what it needs.

And NG's little railgun is a bute....if you can take the kick back.
taalismn wrote:

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:There are NO railguns in Rifts. Just to be techincal there just aren't any railguns in rifts. Railguns use a pair of EM rails to shoot a slug. You can tell by the art that all so-called railguns in rifts aree in fact gauss or tube guns. Its really no big deal, but its really just one of my little pet peaves with palladium.

:sigh: :roll:

art is not cannon
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Rimmerdal
Knight

rat_bastard wrote:
Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:There are NO railguns in Rifts. Just to be techincal there just aren't any railguns in rifts. Railguns use a pair of EM rails to shoot a slug. You can tell by the art that all so-called railguns in rifts aree in fact gauss or tube guns. Its really no big deal, but its really just one of my little pet peaves with palladium.

art is not cannon

:D
taalismn wrote:

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

rat_bastard wrote:

art is not cannon

"Ceci n'est pas un Boom Gun"? :lol:

Ignoring the artwork, I'd imagine they are railguns, for their power and technical simplicity if nothing else. Coilguns would be more versatile (and you don't need an armature for each projectile), but if all you're doing is throwing chunks of metal, why not keep it simple? I don't think rail erosion is much of a worry with MDC materials anyway.

Say, I wonder if Rifts railguns use physical or plasma armatures for each projectile? I can see benefits and drawbacks to either...
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Harry Leferts wrote:Wait a second, isn't the weapon Bert Gummer uses in the second tremors movie a rail gun? It did go through a shreker, a concrete wall, and a barrel after all. Everytime I think Rail gun, that's kinda what I imagine. And then there's the fact that I can see Chipwell making them...

Signed,
Harry Leferts

No that was a .50BMG round fired from a large-bore rifle.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Colt47 wrote:Considering the power sources it is definitely possible to make a light weight single shot EM rifle. I don't think it would be very efficient though, since the gunner would have to buy up both hard ammo and recharge the energy magazine.

why is there this talk about single shot coilguns? Why would we use only a single shot version? They can be used to have a tremendous rate of fire (at least theoretically) if the coil series are set to time and power settings correctly. And with rifts earth, it's not like available energy is really a question in consideration...

Also, about having to deal with energy for the coilgun: yeah, that's actually an issue with railguns too, especially portable ones (not to mention explaining how portable ones are even possible at all... but let's just ignore that one, lol). It's just not addressed in the books. (and ignoring that is rather convenient/much easier too...)
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

The reason why is quite simple really: People would rather have a gun that fires a nice powerful slug into an enemy instead of a machinegun that pelts people with the equivalent of Mega damage bb's.

Crazy Lou
Hero

Colt47 wrote:The reason why is quite simple really: People would rather have a gun that fires a nice powerful slug into an enemy instead of a machinegun that pelts people with the equivalent of Mega damage bb's.

What? Why? > # projectiles at = ROF --> > Damage. Plus you could take a high ROF one and set it to single shot, but not the other way around. And with a coilgun it's not really much louder even.

BTW, that's something worth noting: coilguns are quieter than railguns because the projectile doesn't even have to come into contact with the barrel.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

If you look at the damage per shot of most of rifts rapid fire weapons, the only reason they do decent damage is because they fire large volleys of the munition at the enemy. The C-40R's rounds do 1d4 damage each. It would be more ammo efficient to just use a larger round and shoot. At least that is how I feel with those fancy pellet shooters. Get a solid metal slug the size of a railway spike and shoot. If it's pointy that is a plus!

Crazy Lou
Hero

Daniel2112 wrote:Consider... Apply the concept behind ramjet rounds to single-shot gauss rifles.

Also, Warlords of Russia and Australia both have some pretty compact railguns.

While that would be really hard to figure out without some numbers to crunch (at least for my brain right now -- semi-mush as it is from all this mind-crushing homework this weekend), I'm not entirely sure that this would help improve the damage or range to a significant degree. I could be completely wrong, but for now I'm thinking not.

Return to “Rifts®”